Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Humph day!  Coffee!  Rain, and lots of it!

Yay for saving the bunk bed!  Yay for being ready for pod packing!

Maize - on the music practice issue - is it more difficult for those who homeschool or more for those who go to school?  (You have some of both, right?)  For a long time, I required my youngest to do music practice first, before school work.  Now, I let her choose when she does it.  For the three who take lessons, "practice" is a block in their school planner.  I don't know if that's helpful.  Or if you were feeling more JAWM.  I have ok-ish EF skills (okay, I struggle a bit with task initiation, lol), but I totally feel the lack when it comes to making up for everyone else's, lol.  

Right now dd15 is the only one doing any practice at all.

My mom was very tiger-mom-ish about music practice, I always felt like I was in trouble for not practicing enough. I remember staying home from school sick in bed with a fever, but trying to get up when I heard my mom coming down the hall because I was sure she was going to tell me I ought to be practicing.

I don't want my kids to feel that kind of pressure yaknow? But I do want practice to happen...

• Like 4

Morning.  I slept pretty well last night.  Don't feel quite as achy and tired but still somewhat achy and tired.  I'm off classes this week and was planning to get tons of stuff done and really get the kids school on track.  It's not happening.  This same thing happened last time I was off - I spent the week feeling crappy.  

Most of the schools around here are closed today.  The ones not closed are doing early dismissal.  We're supposed to get snow, sleet and ice this afternoon.  I'm supposed to have a game day but looks like it might not happen.    I wouldn't be super upset if it's cancelled.

Plan for today - finish breakfast, wash dishes, fold laundry, throw another load in the washer.  Plan school, work on classes, update my planner, figure out a schedule going forward.  Dd's TKD schedule is changing, plus we are looking at having them come to the science center for at least 1/2 the day every day so I can work with them on school easier.   None of us are morning people to do it before classes, but I do have time in between or after classes.  If I wait until I get home (which now would also mean after TKD since they moved it earlier) it also doesn't go well.   We have to hit that sweet spot mid-day, at least for math.  Other things can be done earlier or later but math seems to have an effective window.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

I oversplept this morning!! 

Kids have Enrichment Academy. I guess I will go to Costco and Hobby Lobby. I stopped buying my milk at the Afsa because it has started developing a bad habit of spoiling before the expiration date. Costco has better milk.

Nothing much to report. DH comes home today. He should make it before they shut down the Grapevine due to snow. 

• Like 4

I can't believe we're going to Disneyland. I've wanted to go since I was a kid. My mom even promised to take me once but changed her mind.

The kids were up horribly late and are now up early. What could go wrong?

Alex just asked for coffee.

We have an hour to finish before he goes to get the van.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

No matter how hard I try, I'm a couple weeks to a month behind where I want to be on my to-do list.  Slache, I'll see you at Disneyland in a month!  (Not really- it's not on my list.)

Everyone is. If they're not they're lying. I was better with 2 kids, but always behind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone else been comforted by learning how many people really hate making phone calls and that you aren't <lazy, stupid, overreacting, "just not an energetic person"> but just an introvert?    

I'm always behind on my to-do lists.  I couldn't get stuff done when all I did was stay home with the kids.  Now I'm at the science center for 5 hours a day and I'm still not getting things done.  It makes me wonder why I had so much trouble when I was home all day.   Seriously, what did I DO all day?  I did mention that to dh one day and he pointed out the kids were younger the last time I was just home (before I worked FT and then started the science center).   They were 6 and 8 at that time so needed a lot more one-on-one help for things.  We also did a lot more out of the house activities.  He has a point.    I cannot tell you how nice it is that he understands and is supportive, instead of telling me I'm <lazy, stupid, "just not an energetic person">.  (and yes, part of that is remnants from my ex). 

I'm not sure why I'm feeling so contemplative today.

• Like 8

Oh! Since I'm not busy at all I'll share. When we put the kids to bed they were in 3 beds in the three corners of the room. When we woke them up they were in one giant bed in the middle of the room. So cute!

They are going to be sick of each other by this time next week.

• Like 5

I made a phone call!   ☎️

Now I have to do an email, which I cannot do to my satisfaction because nobody wants to tell my group anything, but the deadline is tomorrow, so whatever. I am going to send an email to someone who is very detail-oriented saying I don't know exactly what we want, but we want something, because it's very important.  *sigh*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I forgot that our FiOS box beeps if we don't have Internet hooked up. It will now beep every 15 seconds unless we pay for more internet. I wish I had remembered because I would pay for an extra day!

Can you disconnect the power or source/battery?

Just now, maize said:

Can you disconnect the power or source/battery?

No. The battery is built-in and when it died we had to pay like $80 to replace the whole thing. I think they do it so that you have to have internet. They refused to uninstall it. We went about four months trying to see if we could live on just the internet on our phones and we had a bunch of blankets taped to the wall around it.

I'm outta likes! :angry:

It stopped raining.  The creek water level has gone down a bit, and I think the flash flood warning has expired.  My weather app says we got 1.5 inches of rain, but my water gauge says we got 4.

Dd20 has the flu.  She went to see the school nurse today after she got out of bed and then sat on the floor because she was too tired to move.  The nurse wrote her a note to send her professors.  She is mad because she has a paper and 4 major tests in the next week.

In other news, I ate a handful of blueberries.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm outta likes! :angry:

It stopped raining.  The creek water level has gone down a bit, and I think the flash flood warning has expired.  My weather app says we got 1.5 inches of rain, but my water gauge says we got 4.

Dd20 has the flu.  She went to see the school nurse today after she got out of bed and then sat on the floor because she was too tired to move.  The nurse wrote her a note to send her professors.  She is mad because she has a paper and 4 major tests in the next week.

In other news, I ate a handful of blueberries.

That is why I made it a line-in-the-sand thing for ds21 to get a flu shot. 

• Like 2

Well, now Libby seems fine.  But I guess that I will still keep the vet appointment.  I don't have any pain meds left and I have been meaning to take her in for a palliative care once over.  The only thing that makes me hesitate - ok the two things that make me hestitate - are the price and the fact that some of the vets can be a bit judgmental about not going all out in expensive tests and procedures.  Not the main vet, though.  Hmm.  Maybe I should call and find out which vet we're seeing tomorrow?  OK - called.  We are seeing the main vet. 

• Like 6

We are back from EA. I went to Target and was happy to find a gift card stuffed in my wallet. I don’t remember where it came from, but it was $25. Score. Then I went to Hobby Lobby, which is my new happy place and then to Costco. I got the kids a pizza and made myself some Broccoli-cheddar soup for lunch. Waaaay fewer carbs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

No matter how hard I try, I'm a couple weeks to a month behind where I want to be on my to-do list.  Slache, I'll see you at Disneyland in a month!  (Not really- it's not on my list.)

I stopped having a to-do list. Seriously!! It was too difficult to keep up with. Now my entire life is going to heck in a handbasket, but I don’t care because I didn’t write it down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Has anyone else been comforted by learning how many people really hate making phone calls and that you aren't <lazy, stupid, overreacting, "just not an energetic person"> but just an introvert?    

I hate making calls. I would rather chew my arm off. And knowing other people hate it actually doesn’t make me feel better. What would make me feel better is not having to call people. Fortunately, DS is at an age now where he can make a phone call for me, and he is one of those people who actually enjoys making calls. So, he calls for me.😂 Well, some calls he can’t make, but .... like when I had to call the piano teacher today to see if we had lessons... he did it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1