Menu

What's with the ads?

21 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

My son used to fish a lot. But at some point he quit fishing, and I asked him why. He said he liked them too much to see them with a hook that he couldn't always fix, and so he decided he wouldn't fish anymore. He's sensitive. I like it.

I got some Beta feedback to chew on tonight. Not going to go through all of it, because I'll just end up sobbing, although the feedback also included things like "gorgeous writing, technically brilliant." Kept me hooked even when I felt lost or unsure. Guys, if I can just nail the emotional tells and clarify the difficult stuff, I think the book will be wonderful, but those things are so, so hard for me! Translating a vision from my brain to paper is so tough! 

I can’t wait to read it, Critter!!!

And this Booya/h is dedicated to our very own Critterfixer, writer extraordinaire!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

We went fishing. Alex is sad his fish are dead. I think he wanted to keep them.

Landon brought home the first fish he caught, and put it in a thing od water on the back porch.  We went to the pool and while we were gone, Fishy jumped out and died.  We made fish prints before burying him.

• Like 6

On 7/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, KrissiK said:

Can't delete quote on phone. Loving new job. Feeling like I perhaps do not understand handbags. Luckily nobody here has one so I don't feel out of place.

• Like 3

Alex was okay with the fact that the fish were dead when he realized it meant that he got to eat them. That's pretty much Alex.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So, I took the kids to see Hotel Transylvania 3. Sigh. I wasn’t expecting much, and I must say, that’s what I got. Not much. Not funny, lame plot and.... The Macarena is the song that was finally able to destroy the forces of evil.  So, there you have it.

Good to know. I want to be prepared.

7 hours ago, mama25angels said:

I am not having a good day!

(((Hugs)))

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I gave it a sobbing guy to balance the reaction.  

I feel better with balance.

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's late July.

1. Panic about fall = check,

2. Unreasonably hot weather = check,

3. Resignation to the fact that my kids want screen time and will leave me alone if I give it to them = check.

A-freaking-men sister.

• Like 5

This team Belgium, much like the other one, is done for the season.  We lost 3-1, but they played their little hearts out, it was a good game.  He'll begin his training for next season on Monday, lol

• Like 6

Good morning!

Busy morning.  Breakfast and then bring dd11 and ds13 to choir camp.  On the way home have to stop for early primary voting and drop something off at church (if someone is hopefully in the building so I can get in).  Dd19 has a dentist appointment.  Ds23 is going to mow the lawn.  We'll have some lunch and everyone is committed to being packed and ready to go out the door at 12:30.  Fingers crossed.  We pick up the two at choir camp and then keep on driving.  That's the plan.

Coffee!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Busy morning.  Breakfast and then bring dd11 and ds13 to choir camp.  On the way home have to stop for early primary voting and drop something off at church (if someone is hopefully in the building so I can get in).  Dd19 has a dentist appointment.  Ds23 is going to mow the lawn.  We'll have some lunch and everyone is committed to being packed and ready to go out the door at 12:30.  Fingers crossed.  We pick up the two at choir camp and then keep on driving.  That's the plan.

Coffee!

Hooray choir camp! Some of my best (and most angsty) childhood/teenage memories happened at choir camp. Where are you off to this afternoon?

• Like 1

Good morning. Trying to convince myself to go for a run. It's not working yet. Maybe the chai will help.

Today: Take trash out, feed and walk neighbor's dog, school including science lesson, squeeze some grocery shopping and banking in there before 2, Japanese lesson Japanese lesson, feed and walk dog, Japanese lesson, whentheheckwillimakedinner, bed. LOL. The last 2 weeks I longed for things to do!!

Got mistaken for DS13's sister yesterday so that was funny and awkward. "No, stepmom." **stare** "...Oh." "I'm babyfaced and he looks older than he is." "...Gotcha, yeah" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Good Morning!

I'm hungry this morning.  Time to go take care of that.

Greek yogurt, chocolate chips, and berries.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Wednesday. Aka Humph Day!!!

Hot!!???????????????

Today I go for a Cut-and-Color. I’ll take Baby with me for a trim. She’s got long, waist-length hair and wants it cut shoulder-length. I’m thinking “no”. Hopefully we can come to a compromise. 

DS2 has an ortho appointment. And the orthodontist is right next to the library, so I’m thinking we will do the library while he is seeing the orthodontist.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Alex was okay with the fact that the fish were dead when he realized it meant that he got to eat them. That's pretty much Alex.

Pragmatic boy. I like that. He’ll go far in life.

• Like 1

Good morning. I was supposed to work, but there wasn't enough going on, so I will work Friday instead. Have been out picking peaches. Still depressed about writing, but resigned to the fact that I can't possibly make every non-fantasy reader happy. Or fantasy reader. Or reader, period. Probably can't make an agent happy. But when I can make me happy, I'll have done something big.

For now, caffeine and chapter 4 await.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Better than undead.

next summer?  Huh.

DS once had a killer fish that was eating the brains, and only the brains, of his aquarium roommates. We got rid of the rest of the innocent and let the suspected killer stay by himself but we kept an eye on him while he lasted! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I am not going to feel ok until tomorrow when my in-laws text that they have DS(16). He's spending the day and night with his friend that we don't know well. His friend comes across as a little....um....extra typical teen boy? That's the nicest way I can say it. They are much more free range than us but are generally nice, and I still feel sick about it. Everything will be fine, right? It doesn't help that he's over 600miles away without us. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Paige said:

I am not going to feel ok until tomorrow when my in-laws text that they have DS(16). He's spending the day and night with his friend that we don't know well. His friend comes across as a little....um....extra typical teen boy? That's the nicest way I can say it. They are much more free range than us but are generally nice, and I still feel sick about it. Everything will be fine, right? It doesn't help that he's over 600miles away without us. 

Yes it will be fine. The parents are there right?

3 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

Yes it will be fine. The parents are there right?

They are, but that doesn't make me feel much better. They seem pretty loosey goosey. 

9 minutes ago, Paige said:

It'll be fine!

Good morning!  Bad night, the boys are sleeping in this morning.  Our schedule for today is the regular stuff, laser tag with friends, church tonight.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. I was supposed to work, but there wasn't enough going on, so I will work Friday instead. Have been out picking peaches. Still depressed about writing, but resigned to the fact that I can't possibly make every non-fantasy reader happy. Or fantasy reader. Or reader, period. Probably can't make an agent happy. But when I can make me happy, I'll have done something big.

For now, caffeine and chapter 4 await.

No, Critter, you can’t make everyone happy. When I was teaching school, we had group parent conferences - all four of us teachers with a parent at the same time. It was easier. One year, we had a conference with a parent who just lambasted us for our homework policy. It was horrible, mean-spirited, unyielding..... blah, blah, blah. The very next parent who came in praised our homework policy up and down. It was fair, it taught responsibility, etc. etc. I still remember the four of us looking at each other after those two conferences in amazement.....

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Paige said:

It will be fine. It’s only a day and a night. Hang in there.

• Like 2

Does anybody have recommendations for how to keep to a food budget during the teen years? I used to be able to make a recipe that said, "serves 4," and we would have enough leftovers for me to eat for lunch the next day. Then, I started doubling the recipes, and we would have enough leftovers for 1-3 people, depending. Now, I double the recipes, and there are no leftovers, and an hour later he's looking for a snack. 2 nights ago, I made smothered pork chops that I thought would feed all of us. Hubby wound up going out to grab fast food because there wasn't enough. We are literally being eaten out of house and home! I don't mind that DS is eating so much, because he clearly needs it--he grew 8 inches in the last year and it hasn't stopped yet. But we are in tough times financially and grocery shopping is stressing me out a lot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Does anybody have recommendations for how to keep to a food budget during the teen years? I used to be able to make a recipe that said, "serves 4," and we would have enough leftovers for me to eat for lunch the next day. Then, I started doubling the recipes, and we would have enough leftovers for 1-3 people, depending. Now, I double the recipes, and there are no leftovers, and an hour later he's looking for a snack. 2 nights ago, I made smothered pork chops that I thought would feed all of us. Hubby wound up going out to grab fast food because there wasn't enough. We are literally being eaten out of house and home! I don't mind that DS is eating so much, because he clearly needs it--he grew 8 inches in the last year and it hasn't stopped yet. But we are in tough times financially and grocery shopping is stressing me out a lot.

Add fillers like beans, that was the only way we were able to survive and it was still tough.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

DH and I go round and round about this. He thinks DS eats too much, and it's true that he makes poor choices. He eats tons of low quality or low calorie food and won't touch things better for him. He'd eat a plate of whole containers of blackberries and raspberries, for example- the most expensive food in the house that others would like some of-and it would take a mountain of it to fill him up!

What I try to do is buy cheaper filling foods- beans, eggs, etc. and tell him he can have as much as he wants, and I get him protein bars and shakes of his own to eat. He eats the protein bars...DS is super skinny. If you eat meat, you can get those frozen chicken fillets and he can thaw one out in the microwave as needed. My DS is so picky and hates anything that takes effort, or he thinks looks gross, or mostly anything that I want him to eat. He has caviar tastes and would literally rather starve than compromise his standards. I feel you!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Paige said:

DH and I go round and round about this. He thinks DS eats too much, and it's true that he makes poor choices. He eats tons of low quality or low calorie food and won't touch things better for him. He'd eat a plate of whole containers of blackberries and raspberries, for example- the most expensive food in the house that others would like some of-and it would take a mountain of it to fill him up!

What I try to do is buy cheaper filling foods- beans, eggs, etc. and tell him he can have as much as he wants, and I get him protein bars and shakes of his own to eat. He eats the protein bars...DS is super skinny. If you eat meat, you can get those frozen chicken fillets and he can thaw one out in the microwave as needed. My DS is so picky and hates anything that takes effort, or he thinks looks gross, or mostly anything that I want him to eat. He has caviar tastes and would literally rather starve than compromise his standards. I feel you!

Yeah, mine's not picky, but long before I joined the family, my husband had made having what I consider junk food--chips, sugary breakfast cereal, animal crackers, cheez-its, etc--standard in the house. I wasn't raised to eat snacks, really, apart from fruit or saltines with peanut butter. When I took over the grocery shopping, I shopped the way I was raised to eat, and DH got very frustrated that "there was never any food." Well, no, there was food, you just had to make it. Anyway, I gave up that way of shopping because it was making DH crazy, and bought the snack stuff that they were accustomed to. But in my heart I know that DS wouldn't be so hungry, and our food budget wouldn't be so strained, if he had been raised to eat leftovers or make a PBJ whenever he was hungry, rather than pouring his third bowl of cocoa rice. When we run out of snack foods and I suggest, "How about some leftover pasta and sauce?" he'll go for it, but if the quick carbs are available, he won't.

• Like 3

Things are coming together for ds' move to Arizona for university.  But he still does not have a place to live.  If you are a praying person, could you please pray that he can find an apartment or room to rent?  We leave in a week. . .

Also, camp prep is going a bit slower than I would like at this juncture. 

• Like 7

Gog and Magog were dark for hours yesterday and the blood moon rises over Israel on Friday, this year being their 70th birthday. Maybe we won't have to move!

Good morning. Taking in laws to the airport.

4 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

Good morning. Trying to convince myself to go for a run. It's not working yet. Maybe the chai will help.

Today: Take trash out, feed and walk neighbor's dog, school including science lesson, squeeze some grocery shopping and banking in there before 2, Japanese lesson Japanese lesson, feed and walk dog, Japanese lesson, whentheheckwillimakedinner, bed. LOL. The last 2 weeks I longed for things to do!!

Got mistaken for DS13's sister yesterday so that was funny and awkward. "No, stepmom." **stare** "...Oh." "I'm babyfaced and he looks older than he is." "...Gotcha, yeah" 

Chia fresca.

2 hours ago, Paige said:

He's a great kid. He'll be okay.

• Like 5

Hooray choir camp! Some of my best (and most angsty) childhood/teenage memories happened at choir camp. Where are you off to this afternoon?

:smile:  We are driving to MN for my dad's 80th birthday party.  We are excited - it will be good to see everyone and be in such wonderfully  cool weather!  

It has been announced many times that we are leaving the house at 12:30 and I was a bit irritated when dh said he'd start packing the van at 12:15 - because "it won't take more than 15 minutes".  Insert rotflol emoji.  And :dry:.  But I remained silent.  And lo and behold, 5 minutes ago he started packing up the van.  Let's see how 15 minutes stretches into 45.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

Agree on more sides. Loaf of bread, double the rice/spaghetti, and lots of less expensive protein snacks like peanuts.

• Like 4

We libearied.  I got a Michael Crichton book about pirates. I have never read a Michael Crichton book. But I like pirates. This one will fulfill the “Read a book by a Male Author”requirement in my book challenge.  Took DS to the ortho. 

• Like 4

Cleaned bathrooms, now in the midst of laundrying, also watched Grey's Anatomy and Madam Secretary. Next up: "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," in Blu Ray. There might be some nappage involved...

• Like 4

Whole30 lifestyle update. 2 things I've lost are near daily migraines and a full body rash, both of which have returned since MIL got here. I know for a fact that the rash was caused by dairy and I assume the migraines are from grains so those are gone. We weren't expecting things to be this bad and don't blame MIL for this. I have not had alcohol, legumes or the non W30 oils this week so we know it's not one of those. I've gained 3 pounds but I'm hoping it's all bloat.

We had a few things given to us that she took home including several little Debby boxes and a Costco sized box of Oreos.

• Like 5

I'm on my second teen boy, what they've eaten looks very different, but the total caloric load is about the same.  

Older son: beans, rice, bread, and other carbs---we made meals that could go over carbs, and then he ate extra portions of the carbs. He learned to politely check that we all had gotten our parts of the main dish and that we didn't want any more, and then finished the dishes.  I'm kind of regretting not emphasizing nutrition with my older son (eat balanced proportions, check your hunger level, hydration, etc. because now that he's stopped gaining height he hasn't cut back, and is starting to need to.  

Younger son: carb sensitive so, for him, hard boiled eggs, salads, carrot sticks (5# organic at Costco is cheap), apples, bananas, turkey sandwiches, etc. This winter, we did a ton of potatoes and sweet potatoes. I buy him his personal 8 oz block of swiss cheese a week (about $4) and if he's really burning out on eggs, I will rotate something else in like greek yogurt for a bit, and then rotate it back out. If he holds to his brother's pattern, this is his year of peak growth, and his appetite should start to taper back in about 24 months 

We rarely buy junk food (chips, crackers, etc.). I keep some Clif bars for me, because I tend towards hypoglycemia, and I need portable shelf-stable stuff I can slide into my glovebox or purse. We add huge salads to every meal (romaine heads, sliced up, with whatever veg I have left over), and I still make most meals so that they can be served over a carb of choice if they are particularly ravenous.

I think I've posted my grocery lists here.  They aren't for the faint of heart. Our finances changed dramatically at the end of last year, and I'm doing a lot more kitchen prep work than I used to. We've had to cut back again, and now it's rare that we have any meat, other than chicken, and even then, no one is getting a full chicken breast.  We're hanging out more at 5 oz cooked portion ratio (splitting large breasts).  If I were to peg out menu style---we eat pretty Mediterranean diet. Veggies are still relatively inexpensive, and it's hard to gorge through stuff. When your body feels full, you generally stop, in a way that you might not over a bag of chips.  Our budget is right at $150/person/month, but I work hard to keep it there. I could go lower, but it would look like oatmeal & eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and a veggies + rice/beans/lentils (something) for supper. I'm headed out to buy a couple of bags of wheat today....I'm going back to making our own bread, and that should save us about $60 month. (I'm not going back to making our own tortillas if I can help it, though.)

My best advice? Buy an instant pot and teach him to use it if he's willing to eat rice or baked potatoes or hardboiled eggs. He can take over his own snack creation, and some of the work of feeding him.

• Like 1

DH needs a new car and is working on deals and just told me he might want me to drive to the big city to get the car. Nononononono. I don't drive in the big city. I have big city driving anxiety. UGH. I hope the closer dealer agrees to DH's terms. I'm honestly tempted to call them myself and ask what I need to do to make this deal work so I don't have to drive to the other dealership.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Paige said:

DH needs a new car and is working on deals and just told me he might want me to drive to the big city to get the car. Nononononono. I don't drive in the big city. I have big city driving anxiety. UGH. I hope the closer dealer agrees to DH's terms. I'm honestly tempted to call them myself and ask what I need to do to make this deal work so I don't have to drive to the other dealership.

I don't drive in The Big City either.  Can he take public transportation to go pick up the vehicle?

I just got back from driving in the Big City. The gluten free menu at this restaurant was truly impressive. Food was good but carby even if gluten free. We had a lovely time talking. It’s so nice to talk to someone who grew up with me in Japan. 

• Like 8

Wonderful time at laser tag, the boys got frosties afterward and I got to chat.  Home now and trying to decide which leftovers to warm up for the boys before we head to church.

• Like 8

I hate driving in the Big City. The Big City I generally go to is bad, but not as bad as LA. Last fall our homeschool group went to the Reagan Library in Simi Valley and we drove with a friend of mine in her Taho. Then, she gets a migraine and asks if I can drive the rest of the way there. I swear, I about had a stroke. Driving a car that I am not familiar with (I have a Sienna) in LA. And then I had to drive home. It was awful.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Wonderful time at laser tag, the boys got frosties afterward and I got to chat.

I LOVE laser tag.

• Like 1