Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Please pray for my 93 year old mom. She lives independently in an apartment in a retirement village but is having increased difficulty getting around. Last night in the wee hours she fell and they had to call EMTs to get her up. She’s not injured but needs to move to assisted living. 

Praying Jean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

The author says she is.

I know he's not but he was described as very dark and had black hair and he somehow just came out black in my mind. I also wonder if his name just got imbeded in my mind.

Where?

When a black actress was cast as Hermione in the cursed child play Rowling supported the casting and I think she has said Hermione could be read as black; that doesn't mean she was written as black. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, maize said:

Where?

When a black actress was cast as Hermione in the cursed child play Rowling supported the casting and I think she has said Hermione could be read as black; that doesn't mean she was written as black. 

It was on Twitter. I didn't know there was a new one. That might be what she was referencing. Is this a book too?

• Like 1

Real life busking question.  A guy asked the kids last night if they had a facebook page that he could go to to give them money because he didn't have any cash on him.  I didn't even know you could take payments for things through facebook - seems a little scary.  Is this something we should consider setting up for them?  They seem to really enjoy doing it, and find it a decent way to earn a little money toward purchases and things like choir tour.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Real life busking question.  A guy asked the kids last night if they had a facebook page that he could go to to give them money because he didn't have any cash on him.  I didn't even know you could take payments for things through facebook - seems a little scary.  Is this something we should consider setting up for them?  They seem to really enjoy doing it, and find it a decent way to earn a little money toward purchases and things like choir tour.  

I've seen buskers put a sign on their instrument case with Venmo account information for folks who don't carry cash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Please pray for my 93 year old mom. She lives independently in an apartment in a retirement village but is having increased difficulty getting around. Last night in the wee hours she fell and they had to call EMTs to get her up. She’s not injured but needs to move to assisted living. 

Praying!  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the new HP book written like a play?

Respond to this:

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I should say it was my intention to do one book from each series a year, but we could do the Narnia series, then the Potter series, then Tolkien. Now I have to think.

Eta: I think I like this better.

MIL is buying John a return indoor skydiving visit because he loved it so much the first time so we're looking online right now. I've been thinking lately about how disappointed I was in the trip* and have been thinking about actual skydiving lately. I am a chicken and afraid of heights and dying in general so it's kind of like how I think about buying a mansion and breeding horses, but thinking nonetheless. Well, I told Matt and he was appalled. I think he's mad at me because he didn't think of it first.

*I was the only one that was disappointed and I would still recommend it to anyone.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I stumbled across a Harry Potter thing on FB. Am I the last person to know Hermione was black? I had Hermione as blonde and Sirius as black. I think I saw the first movie before reading the books. At least a trailer.

So, we said Harry starts in 4th, right? What about Narnia and Tolkien? I assumed we would do The Hobbit in 9th, but I've never read the Narnia series.

There was a play or something in which the actress who played Hermione is black, so there many conversations about that.   

There are multiple references to Hermione's face turning assorted shades of red or pink. I have never thought of Hermione as blonde, but certainly fair-skinned, as I don't think we'd notice her turning bright pink otherwise, KWIM? JKR doesn't mention race with regard to any of her characters; she just mentions characteristics such as dreadlocks or hair color, or names such as Cho which implies Asian (although we don't really know). And I would never think of Sirius as anything except Caucasian, as he is from a long line of British wizards.

Harry starts in 4th what?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maize said:

I should have read your reply first. :-)

• Like 1

Slache- are you thinking of the series just as read alouds?  Actually studying the books?  Having the kid(s) read them for themselves?  

We read the Narnian Chronicles aloud in elementary. About third or fourth grade. We read the Hobbit in middle school. My kids read the rest of the LOTR on their own at that age. Don’t tell Ellie or Maize but my kids were allowed to read Harry Potter (actually I have never banned them from reading anything) but none of us liked the first book and while I read more, they did not. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Slache said:

So, we said Harry starts in 4th, right? What about Narnia and Tolkien? I assumed we would do The Hobbit in 9th, but I've never read the Narnia series.

Wait...you haven't read the Chronicles of Narnia???!!!

::swoons::

Girl, you must read the Chronicles for yourself, right now. In the order of publication: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Horse and His Boy; The Magician's Nephew; The Last Battle. Some wild and crazy people think the books should be read in "chronological" order, but they're wrong; you should always enter Narnia for the first time through the Wardrobe. ❤️ I read them to my dc when they were 7 or 8; I read them myself periodically, and I have an excellent series on CD which I listen to again every so often, because I miss the Wardrobe.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We read the Narnian Chronicles aloud in elementary. About third or fourth grade. We read the Hobbit in middle school. My kids read the rest of the LOTR on their own at that age. Don’t tell Ellie or Maize but my kids were allowed to read Harry Potter (actually I have never banned them from reading anything) but none of us liked the first book and while I read more, they did not. 

I used to be opposed to HP, because "witchcraft" and whatnot. But IDK, 12 or 13 years ago I decided to read them for myself, because people I admired and trusted said they were harmless, even as others I admired and trusted said they were bad, and I figured I was old enough to make up my own mind. Long ago when I was young, before I was born again, I was involved with the occult and so I'm pretty knowledgeable (and discerning). I found nothing in HP that was occultic. I won't argue with anyone about it, or encourage someone to read it who is opposed, because I understand their POV, but I have no qualms about the books. I own them all in hard cover, as well as both of Luna Lovegood's wands, and I know that I'm Ravenclaw but close to Gryffindor, and I'm a Horned Serpent in Ilvermorny, and I'm looking forward to the next movie after Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. (I also own the HP movies, but I cannot watch them very frequently because of the things that were left out/changed. Argh.)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ellie said:

There was a play or something in which the actress who played Hermione is black, so there many conversations about that.   

There are multiple references to Hermione's face turning assorted shades of red or pink. I have never thought of Hermione as blonde, but certainly fair-skinned, as I don't think we'd notice her turning bright pink otherwise, KWIM? JKR doesn't mention race with regard to any of her characters; she just mentions characteristics such as dreadlocks or hair color, or names such as Cho which implies Asian (although we don't really know). And I would never think of Sirius as anything except Caucasian, as he is from a long line of British wizards.

Harry starts in 4th what?

Yes, I think I was reading about the play but didn't know there was one so I was confused. 

Fourth grade. I thought Susan said it was right time to start it because of the upcoming darkness.

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Slache- are you thinking of the series just as read alouds?  Actually studying the books?  Having the kid(s) read them for themselves?  

Just letting them read them for fun. I loved HP. It was my first series aside from Nancy Drew. I think fantasy really appealed to me.

9 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Girl, you must read the Chronicles for yourself, right now. In the order of publication: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Horse and His Boy; The Magician's Nephew; The Last Battle. Some wild and crazy people think the books should be read in "chronological" order, but they're wrong; you should always enter Narnia for the first time through the Wardrobe. ❤️ I read them to my dc when they were 7 or 8; I read them myself periodically, and I have an excellent series on CD which I listen to again every so often, because I miss the Wardrobe.

Yes ma'am!

3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I used to be opposed to HP, because "witchcraft" and whatnot. But IDK, 12 or 13 years ago I decided to read them for myself, because people I admired and trusted said they were harmless, even as others I admired and trusted said they were bad, and I figured I was old enough to make up my own mind. Long ago when I was young, before I was born again, I was involved with the occult and so I'm pretty knowledgeable (and discerning). I found nothing in HP that was occultic. I won't argue with anyone about it, or encourage someone to read it who is opposed, because I understand their POV, but I have no qualms about the books. I own them all in hard cover, as well as both of Luna Lovegood's wands, and I know that I'm Ravenclaw but close to Gryffindor, and I'm a Horned Serpent in Ilvermorny, and I'm looking forward to the next movie after Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. (I also own the HP movies, but I cannot watch them very frequently because of the things that were left out/changed. Argh.)

We're Christian and proHP. I agree about the movies. No idea what house I am.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have never read any HP, Chronicles of Narnia, or any of those things.  Out of four kids, I think collectively, they maybe read just a few, with the bulk being ds32 and Lewis books.  

I have only read HP. I wasn't raised Christian and had never heard of Narnia until the movie came out. I read the Hobbit but very young and still struggling with dyslexia and the idea of more of that was just exhausting. I was given a gorgeous copy of the trilogy. It looks great on my shelf.

Bookya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

I agree with reading Narnia first.  Tolkein later - when depends a little bit on reading fluency.  HP - I didn't allow it, say 10 years ago, but came around later.  Oldest read them all, next one - not sure about, 3rd one read some, but didn't like all of them, so didn't finish.  4th dc hasn't read them.  Youngest started reading them last week.  (She's also reading Narnia at the same time for a co-op class, although we read the first several aloud a couple years ago.).  All of the kids have read at least some (or all) of the Narnia books and two have read all of Hobbit and LOTR.  Another dc has read Hobbit and tried some of LOTR and some of Silmarillion, but didn't finish.  Two youngest have not read any Tolkein yet.  Not sure if I answered everything.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

When I buy one of my kids a set of Narnia around 6th grade for end-of-year-books, I have to go way back to find a good set in publication order.  1988 Macmillan is a good one.

I let my kids start reading 1 HP per year starting in 3rd grade - because of the darkness that comes.  But I know some kids who read the entire series in 4th/5th grade just fine.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Okay.  I did a poll.  Ds32 has read some of the Narnia series, Iliad, Odyssey, but no HP.  Dr has read maybe one HP book and nothing else.  No Tolstoy.  Were we talkimg about someone else, too?

I specifically asked about Narnia, Harry Potter and Tolkien because I wasn't sure where to place them and since they are series I wanted a good guess. We still have several young series to get through. He's just begun Beverly Cleary and still needs to do The Boxcar Children.

• Like 1

My kids have read or listened to the first four Harry Potter books. My oldest has read all of them. I find the later books a bit dark for young kids so have encouraged waiting to read them.

Narnia was my first love as a young reader. It was replaced by Middle Earth when I was about 12. Middle Earth will forever be my fantasy home.

Not the movies though.

• Like 4

Narnia -- Required -- Yes to reading in publication order (although ds18 prefers chronological).  We listened to this audio series on our recent multi-state trip to take ds18 to college.  Older 3 have read all of the books; younger three will when they're ready.  (Dd12 will probably read them this year.)

Harry Potter -- I am in the avoid camp, mostly.  I read the first few books in the series, but I didn't like how each one got darker (and longer).  We have the first three books that I let my high schoolers read when they are able to make up their own mind about whether it is appropriate for them or not.

Tolkien  -- Required -- The Hobbit in middle school, the LOTR in high school

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

I am not opposed to HP. I don’t  think that it is occult. I like fantasy. I read three of the HP books. They just weren't interesting enough to me to keep reading more. Ds read part of one and wasn’t interested enough to finish it. Dd looked at it and didn’t find it interesting enough to even start. But all three of us love Lewis and Tolkein. Just slightly different tastes, I guess. 

But I want to read Critter’s book!  

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

We listened to this audio series on our recent multi-state trip to take ds18 to college. 

Alex loves the "diger." :wub:

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

They just weren't interesting enough to me to keep reading more.

There's a lot about my generation that encouraged those books flourish. I think it was a good series, but it was the latchkey kids desperate to feel loved and find our own Hagrids that made it iconic.

• Like 3

I love fantasy and science fiction.  I've read Narnia, Hobbit, LOTR, and Harry Potter in their entirety at some point.  Harry Potter only in the past couple years, LOTR and Hobbit I've reread sort of recently.  My kids have all read Harry Potter and Narnia, ds has read The Hobbit and LOTR.   

I actually have a question while we are discussing books.  Youngest dd read Harry Potter and Narnia about 2 years ago.  I think each book took her about 2-3 weeks.  I require an hour of reading on days we do school and they are unlikely to read otherwise, but she also read them while we were stuck with my mother packing up her condo in Florida where there wasn't much else to do.   She's now reading the Joust series by Mercedes Lackey and I feel like it is taking her FOOOOORRRREEEEVVVVEEEERRRR.  She's in the beginning of Book 3 and started them in April.  Summer was more lax than usual this year so she didn't read every day.   I offered her the option to not finish if she didn't like it but she chose to continue because she is enjoying the story.  She's reading about 20 pages in an hour.   Each book is about 450 pages, it's a 4 book series and I just found a site that says it has a word count of 129,645 and a reading level of 8th grade.   Dd turned 11 over the summer.   These are probably the hardest books she's ever read, or at least the longest next to Harry Potter.

Does this seem like a typical reading pace to everyone?  I read a lot and read very fast.  I finished the series in a week.  Ds (13) is also a fast reader and probably finished it in 3 weeks.   I don't want to push dd to read faster, but I"m trying to judge if she's spending too much of her hour distracted instead of actually reading.  I tried setting a number of pages to read each day instead of the hour (I don't remember how many pages but more than 20), and she said it was too much.

13 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I love fantasy and science fiction.  I've read Narnia, Hobbit, LOTR, and Harry Potter in their entirety at some point.  Harry Potter only in the past couple years, LOTR and Hobbit I've reread sort of recently.  My kids have all read Harry Potter and Narnia, ds has read The Hobbit and LOTR.   

I actually have a question while we are discussing books.  Youngest dd read Harry Potter and Narnia about 2 years ago.  I think each book took her about 2-3 weeks.  I require an hour of reading on days we do school and they are unlikely to read otherwise, but she also read them while we were stuck with my mother packing up her condo in Florida where there wasn't much else to do.   She's now reading the Joust series by Mercedes Lackey and I feel like it is taking her FOOOOORRRREEEEVVVVEEEERRRR.  She's in the beginning of Book 3 and started them in April.  Summer was more lax than usual this year so she didn't read every day.   I offered her the option to not finish if she didn't like it but she chose to continue because she is enjoying the story.  She's reading about 20 pages in an hour.   Each book is about 450 pages, it's a 4 book series and I just found a site that says it has a word count of 129,645 and a reading level of 8th grade.   Dd turned 11 over the summer.   These are probably the hardest books she's ever read, or at least the longest next to Harry Potter.

Does this seem like a typical reading pace to everyone?  I read a lot and read very fast.  I finished the series in a week.  Ds (13) is also a fast reader and probably finished it in 3 weeks.   I don't want to push dd to read faster, but I"m trying to judge if she's spending too much of her hour distracted instead of actually reading.  I tried setting a number of pages to read each day instead of the hour (I don't remember how many pages but more than 20), and she said it was too much.

If she said that doing more is too much, I would just believe her.  I haven't read that series, but maybe the word choices or word order are different enough that it takes her longer to comprehend what she is reading.  Or, maybe she is taking time to think deeply about what she's reading.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

According to this chart 132 WPM is an average oral reading pace for fall of 6th grade.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/fluency-norms-chart-2017-update

At 290 words per page (approximate based on the page and word counts you gave) that would be about 2.2 minutes per page.

Many people read faster silently than orally, but those of us who actually say every word we read in our heads (I do) read at about the same pace silently as we do out loud.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, maize said:

According to this chart 132 WPM is an average oral reading pace for fall of 6th grade.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/fluency-norms-chart-2017-update

At 290 words per page (approximate based on the page and word counts you gave) that would be about 2.2 minutes per page.

Many people read faster silently than orally, but those of us who actually say every word we read in our heads (I do) read at about the same pace silently as we do out loud.

Assuming I did the math correctly, this would work out to about 27 pages per hour.  So, 20 pages per hour is not outrageously slow.  

Thank you!

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday. Bleh!!! I was so busy yesterday I don’t feel like I even got a day of rest.???? They Were all good things, but i’m Still tired and behind.  Tea Party for Awana was fun.

We got invited over to some friends’ house for dinner, which was nice. The man roasts his own COFFEE!!!~D.?? So, we had freshly roasted Kenyan COFFEE!!!~D. Oh my word!!  You know, I like COFFEE~D, and by no means consider myself a connoisseur or a coffee-snob, but after last night, I realized that in the COFFEE~D world.... I am nothing.??? There are depths I had no idea about.... He was getting out bags of unroasted beans and throwing out words I’d never heard before. We saw his roaster. 

Today mil comes over, we have school, piano lessons, and just a whole of lot things I have to try to figure out. I just want to go back to bed.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

Good morning. I confess to loving HP enough to write an essay on character archetypes used in the series, once adapting The Horse and His Boy to a screenplay, and wallowing in Tolkien to the point of trying to learn Elvish. I also happen to love Tolstoy, and gladly spent four weeks reading War and Peace. There are few fantasy books I won't give a chance, but there are some I just don't like, and that's okay! Everyone has their own taste, tolerance, and interests. Good thing there are tons of writers writing tons of books!

Still waiting on contest results. I've had some good hints, and a nibble. Better than nothing. I entered another little thing where you could pitch your novel to agents. Pitched to two who had previously rejected me. One of them requested me. Go figure.

My shelves are FULL of graphic novels right now. Trying to learn the art for another story I'm working on, and hope to have a good start on by the end of the year. Got to get a new laptop with tablet capability and the right software to start formatting. Right now I'm just drawing like mad, and learning how to script. And painting. And trying to keep up with school stuff. 

• Like 9