Menu

Ignore this thread!

We've had experience with expansive clay soil.  We had an engineering report done and then got bids.  We were quoted $10k/pier. No fun.  We ended up selling that house as it wasn't worth it to pier it---we just put the issue into the disclosures and took a $20k loss rather than a $40k repair bill.  Sorry, Ellie, it's an expensive not-fun situation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Good morning.  My fitibit says that I slept last night.  I guess I will believe her but I'm taking it totally on faith.  I'm in a mild flare.  I thought it was a bad flare but I always wake up in searing pain and then it dissipates in the first 20 minutes.  The residual after that first 20 minutes is my daily state. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

For Susan (since I cannot find an actual recording of this song on the internet) - the song I walked down the aisle to at my wedding.  It is a song that means a lot to me.  http://www.musicanet.org/cgi-bin/epeios.cgi?_target=gesbib&_skin=Musica&_session=&_language=en&ApplyQuery=&!Profile=CRV&Field=1891&Comparison.43=2&Pattern.43=79223&Table=19

• Like 3

I came. I liked. I want to go back to bed. I don't know why I'm so tired today, but I am. Work tomorrow. Writing today. Drawing. Work on school stuff. I'm going to try to talk DH into a visit to the river this weekend. I badly just need a day to sit on a bank somewhere with my toes in the water and my eyes closed.

• Like 7

I'm so tired today! I think it's the approaching rain. Something about rainy days makes me want to hibernate. Baby took his nap in the car and probably wants to bounce around for a few more hours but I'm going to try to convince him to sleep.

The new flooring people came by today! Here's hoping we can agree on something and get them started soon. We can't have guests until the basement is finished and DS can move out of the guest room. I need it done so I can get my babysitters here and go to Hawaii or at least before Christmas...maybe if MIL comes here we won't have to go there. 

• Like 6

Do you all remember the difficulties we had getting DDs in an appropriate math class last year? They bombed their placement tests because they didn't have accommodations for anxiety since they weren't enrolled yet, the school refused to put them in the level I'd have put them in, and so I decided to let it go and teach them algebra on my own.

One of the girls lost her motivation around April and never finished the course. She was over 3/4 of the way through but the idea of having to test was bothering her and she quit. She's happy to be retaking Algebra this fall and to be in a super easy class.

The other one studied diligently all year despite also being super worried about the test. And the high school didn't even require a test! ? They just took my word for it. I said that DD had been in preAlgebra at the school, but had self studied Algebra at home with me all year and I thought she was ready. They said, "Fine." Just like that. If other DD had known, she'd probably have finished the books. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

For Susan (since I cannot find an actual recording of this song on the internet) - the song I walked down the aisle to at my wedding.  It is a song that means a lot to me.  http://www.musicanet.org/cgi-bin/epeios.cgi?_target=gesbib&_skin=Musica&_session=&_language=en&ApplyQuery=&!Profile=CRV&Field=1891&Comparison.43=2&Pattern.43=79223&Table=19

?❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edpo warning...

It's Friday afternoon, so if y'all need to ignore this until Monday, I understand....

Ds is mid 500s in his math CLE. He's got a lot of issues, but he's made good progress. I'm hoping that his IEP is going to include math, but if not, we've got to figure out a transition plan to MUS, as that's what I'll use through high school to teach him.  What should be my transition point? This is a kid who is going to depend on a calculator, so I'm not sure that he belongs in Zeta. I definitely don't want to do Epsilon. I'm not sure he's ready for Pre-Algebra....but maybe he is.  Thoughts??? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Edpo warning...

It's Friday afternoon, so if y'all need to ignore this until Monday, I understand....

Ds is mid 500s in his math CLE. He's got a lot of issues, but he's made good progress. I'm hoping that his IEP is going to include math, but if not, we've got to figure out a transition plan to MUS, as that's what I'll use through high school to teach him.  What should be my transition point? This is a kid who is going to depend on a calculator, so I'm not sure that he belongs in Zeta. I definitely don't want to do Epsilon. I'm not sure he's ready for Pre-Algebra....but maybe he is.  Thoughts??? 

I would use the MUS placement test and see where he needs to be placed.  If that's not an option, I would ok T the different tables of contents and see where I felt like he belonged.

• Like 1

Texting from my phone....

I have used MUS alpha through epsilon plus geometry with Oldest. He is using Chalkdust generic for algebra 1, 2, and now pre-calc. He needs video instruction but self-pacing as sometimes he gets stuck for a bit. He is likely going into a math based major in college.

The kid I am considering MUS for has some functional vision issues, gets overwhelmed by big problem sets, needs black and white or grey scale pages and preferably a text to write in (or a scribe). He’s a slow processor and has some learning issues. We remediated some of his dyscalculia but to be honest I see him topping out at Algebra 2 (if we make it that far)...but that’s the goal.

Key to... is probably the only other program I could see fitting him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

We ran out of dryer sheets and never replaced them and have been doing laundry without dryer sheets for at least 3 months and nothing is wrong. Am I missing something?

I never use dryer sheets.

You just saved some $$$.  Update your debt-free dates!

• Like 4

What else can I stop buying? Detergent? Dish soap? What about deodorant?

We don't use napkins or disposable products. We have paper towels and tp. I don't really have the patience to make everything.

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

I never use dryer sheets.

You just saved some $$$.  Update your debt-free dates!

I got to move it up by 10 minutes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Edpo warning...

A couple anecdotes....

one of my mathier kids went from CLE 603 (ish) to Saxon Algebra 1/2 and did very well.  

one of my not-so-mathy kids needed and endured the repetition of CLE and Saxon (CLE up through 400? and Saxon through 87) and is now in MUS Algebra.  The first 5 or 6 lessons have been review-ish, but I think looking at the topics Mr. Demme's way has been good for her.

What do you think about completing CLE 600 and then moving to MUS Algebra?  Or did you want to move sooner?  Do you want to use MUS Pre-algebra or avoid it or not sure?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Am I the only ITTer who uses dryer sheets?  They're unscented Aldi brand.  There would be a great uproar if I ever used anything smelly for doing laundry.

We ran out so when he went to the store I told him to get some and he didn't so when he went to the store the next time I told him to get some and he didn't so when he went to the store the next next time I told him to get some and he didn't so I gave up. He'll probably buy some in 2 years commenting that he noticed that we're out and then I'll be on the news.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

We ran out so when he went to the store I told him to get some and he didn't so when he went to the store the next time I told him to get some and he didn't so when he went to the store the next next time I told him to get some and he didn't so I gave up. He'll probably buy some in 2 years commenting that he noticed that we're out and then I'll be on the news.

I just read this out loud to him and he silently backed out of the room without breaking eye contact.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

We are back from Shakespeare in the Park.  It was well done and great fun - the kids seemed to enjoy themselves.  The weather was very reasonable.  

I think I may need to explore Paige's contest-entering hobby.  I would welcome a vacation that does not involve backpacking and going potty in the woods.

• Like 4

I am predicting Slash will have dryer sheets the next trip to the store.

Booya! For dryer sheets and fortune telling and men finally getting things done properly (women's way, aka the right way, aka the only way)

I love cheese peanut butter crackers. I have eaten a package the last two nights.

Edited by Openhearted
Booya
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We use dryer sheets when we actually use the dryer.  Dh hates static.  But since I mostly hang clothes out, we don't usually use them.  I have gone years at a time not uding them, even when I didn't hang clothes out.

We don't have static. We did at first.

3 minutes ago, Openhearted said:

I am predicting Slash will have dryer sheets the next trip to the store.

And probably the wrong brand.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Full disclosure.  Although st joked that he couldn't believe our date was at the AFSA, we went there because we were going out for s burger.  That AFSA has one of the only 2 places I will eat burgers.  And it's my favorite of the 2.  Wayback Burgers.   So we took our time eating, them picked up a couple of items, looked for patio furniture (they had none), got all 3 kids a burger, and came home.  It was nice 

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Full disclosure.  Although st joked that he couldn't believe our date was at the AFSA, we went there because we were going out for s burger.  That AFSA has one of the only 2 places I will eat burgers.  And it's my favorite of the 2.  Wayback Burgers.   So we took our time eating, them picked up a couple of items, looked for patio furniture (they had none), got all 3 kids a burger, and came home.  It was nice 

IT'S A DOUBLE DATE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

This reminds me of a time when dh and I were going out for a date.  He asked me what I wanted to eat.  I told him that I felt like eating either seafood or a McDonald's cheeseburger.  Unfortunately for him I can't eat McDonald's cheeseburgers because of my wheat allergy, so I ended up getting seafood.

And now after writing that, I want a McDonald's cheeseburger.  ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

So I read The Well Trained Mind Third Edition cover to cover when I began to homeschool and learned afterwards that I should have read the first edition because there was a lot more how to than curriculum. I was going to read the first edition when I found out that the 4th edition was coming out and going to include it. When I got it I only read the parts I thought you were relevant to me but I just started reading it cover-to-cover and I now understand the purpose of narration copywork and dictation. I was doing it because everyone said I was supposed to do it, but now I get it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4