Menu

Ignore this thread!

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

There are now tears over math.  Calgon, take me away!

If it makes you feel better, I'm re-thinking writing for my 10th grader.  ?

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. Dd has a doctor’s appointment today. This evening I have back to back MRIs. 

Go, Jean Go!  Yay for good self care and medical information!  

• Like 3

I'm tired too.  Dd's car wouldn't start on campus last night when she came out of class at 11pm.  She was in a far away isolated lot and was a little freaked, so I drove out there and we jump started her car then I followed her home.   She was also upset over ex-boyfriend drama so that added to it.  

Dh also got his new CPAP machine yesterday which necessitated changing the side of the bed we sleep on, so that contributed to the not sleeping so well.  

But, I'm good.  I'm heavily caffeinated.  I'm at my classroom eating lunch before my next class arrives.  My 11:30-12:30 was a complete no-show.  Three kids all from different families and nobody made it and nobody called or sent a message.  So that's kind of weird.  My 10am class was 8 tween/teens for Chem 2.  Good group, I think that will be a fun class.  There's another two kids who were supposed to be in that one.  My 1pm class has the sibling of one of the 11:30 class kids, so I'll see if they come for that class and ask what's up.

Once we get home around 2;20, nothing for the rest of today except dishes and maybe some laundry.  Dd has a TKD belt test tomorrow night so she doesn't have class tonight, since it's the lower belts testing tonight.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How old is Baby now? 

He's 11 months, but walks and climbs really well. He was walking all over the little museum, so happy nobody was telling him no or corralling him somewhere else. When other kids came in and started running around he just stood there and stared with his mouth open. I think it was good for him to see some chaos. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last night, we discovered that DD11 has never heard Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting. We rectified that in short order, and the minute it began to play, her lovely face just dissolved into bliss. "THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE SONG!" I had to play it about 3 times while she danced around the kitchen. "I love old-timey music like this!" She has recently discovered many other songs she'd missed: "Teenage Dirtbag," Blink-182, "Take On Me," Avril Lavigne, "Stacy's Mom." When I was a kid I always thought I'd been born in the wrong decade... I think DD11 wishes she'd been born circa 1987. 

Meanwhile, I am attempting to put together a teaching philosophy to apply for a part-time online job. I have never written a teaching philosophy before. Boo. (Not booya.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I walked the kids.

1 hour ago, egao_gakari said:

Last night, we discovered that DD11 has never heard Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting. We rectified that in short order, and the minute it began to play, her lovely face just dissolved into bliss. "THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE SONG!" I had to play it about 3 times while she danced around the kitchen. "I love old-timey music like this!" She has recently discovered many other songs she'd missed: "Teenage Dirtbag," Blink-182, "Take On Me," Avril Lavigne, "Stacy's Mom." When I was a kid I always thought I'd been born in the wrong decade... I think DD11 wishes she'd been born circa 1987. 

Meanwhile, I am attempting to put together a teaching philosophy to apply for a part-time online job. I have never written a teaching philosophy before. Boo. (Not booya.)

People blog them. Google for ideas.

• Like 3

I have had one MRI and I was given the choice between classical music and noise cancelling headphones. I chose classical music and came out with a terrible headache. I was probably 12 as it was in regards to my seizures.

The geography curriculum I wanted to use next year is too mature for my kids and now I'm all pissy.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This week has been so weird.

For the last three weeks, one of my dancers had been coming over to my house to skype with my friend in California because my dancer was learning a new dance choreographed by my friend in California...I hope y'all got that...But now we're all finished with that extra practice thing, and so this week, I've just, you know, stayed home. I've napped, and tried to avoid leaving the house, and when I have left the house, I haven't gone further than the grocery store 1 mile away.

Weird.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

This week has been so weird.

For the last three weeks, one of my dancers had been coming over to my house to skype with my friend in California because my dancer was learning a new dance choreographed by my friend in California...I hope y'all got that...But now we're all finished with that extra practice thing, and so this week, I've just, you know, stayed home. I've napped, and tried to avoid leaving the house, and when I have left the house, I haven't gone further than the grocery store 1 mile away.

Weird.

That sounds wonderful!!! I would love to not have to leave the house.

• Like 5

I had a nice online chat with ds18 today.  He's doing well at school.  He's staying caught up with homework, seems to like his job, and is playing intramural soccer.  He's also joined a Criminal Justice club on campus.

In other news, dd14's band teacher is going to take a look at her oboe and see if it needs any work done.  Dd14 has been playing it a little bit.  I recognized "London Bridge" the other day.

And, I bought some Christmas violin music so maybe dd14, dd12, and dd16 can play the same songs together instead of their usual cacophony. 

• Like 8

Fingers and arms are tired.  Our next concert is music of all 5 of The Russian Five, and they will definitely give you a workout, just not one that shows up on your fitbit.  Though our conductor stopped at one point, looked at his watch, and exclaimed, "Ten thousand steps!" :biggrin:  

It has been nice "carpooling" to rehearsal every week with ds23.  We get to have fun conversations about things like how much we hate virtually everything Andrew Lloyd Weber has ever written and how Rimsky-Korsakova should really be credited with most of the music we are playing since he rewrote so much of it after the "original" composer died, and how sliding your finger along your string while bowing tremolo can be a legitimate technique when your conductor is taking the tempo marking literally.  :ohmy:

Good night!

• Like 8

I had an MRI on my hips last year. I thought I might have a problem because I am somewhat claustrophobic, but the technician gave me some ear buds, and I closed my eyes, and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep.

In other news, there's apparently no reason whatsoever for my hips to give me problems. o_0

• Like 6

Good morning!  It's Friday!

(((South & North Carolina)))

Regular day of school today.  I have to make a phone call and send two emails.  ?  Shakespeare in the Park tonight - A Midsommer Night's Dream! ?

I need to look over wedding music for tomorrow.  Is it a thing for a bride to request a different song for every. single. person. in the ceremony?  One song for the preacher, another for the parents/grandparents, another for the ringbearer/flower girl, another for the bridesmaids, and another for the bride?  It's going to take an hour to get this ceremony started! (I'm sure we won't play all of every song, but still...)

Coffee!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Good Morning!!

Happy Friday!

It took me forever to get to sleep last night and then I woke up kinda early.  I lay awake in bed for a long time before I finally decided to get up.

Not much going on today.  I think I'm going to need to crack the whip to get our homeschool assignment sheets completed.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Regular day of school today.  I have to make a phone call and send two emails.  ?  Shakespeare in the Park tonight - A Midsommer Night's Dream! ?

I need to look over wedding music for tomorrow.  Is it a thing for a bride to request a different song for every. single. person. in the ceremony?  One song for the preacher, another for the parents/grandparents, another for the ringbearer/flower girl, another for the bridesmaids, and another for the bride?  It's going to take an hour to get this ceremony started! (I'm sure we won't play all of every song, but still...)

Coffee!

When I got married, the pastor's wife played the piano.  I told her she could just open the hymnal and play some nice hymns.  We also had the traditional processional and recessional played on the organ.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Coffee!

I don’t think I had too much requested music at my wedding. We had a string quartet. I think I requested music for the bridesmaid’s processional, and the the two bridal marches (one in and the other out). Otherwise, I think I just told them to play whatever they generally played at weddings. Or something like that.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

It is a thing bordering on bridezilla-ness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hula today. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

A second quote today on foundation repair. For those who don't live in Central Texas, it is pretty darn common for homes on the east side of the freeway built on slabs (the majority of homes built) to need foundation repair, because on the east side of the freeway, which follows an escarpment, we have clay and not actual soil. It expands and contracts and rises and lowers with changes in temperature. The northwest corner of my house is over 3" lower than the front of the house--cracks in walls, weird places in the floor, doors that won't stay open, drawers that won't stay closed. So my first quote was for $16,000. ::swoons::  Repair will include installing piers *in the inside of my house), with jack hammers and stuff. Oy. Yes, I will lose the hardwood floors. On the up side, I have an insurance claim for something else which will replace the floors, so there's that.

And it's a hula foundation repair booya!

#noh

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Junie said:

When I got married, the pastor's wife played the piano.  I told her she could just open the hymnal and play some nice hymns.  We also had the traditional processional and recessional played on the organ.

Organ = :wub:

When my sister got married, our church had a brilliant organist who played Widor's Toccata for her recessional.  I nearly burst out in tears it was so amazing.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

My dad was a church organist.

It was really hard for me to choose someone else to play the organ -- I almost skipped the organ all together because my dad couldn't play and walk me down the aisle.

He didn't play organ, though, in a traditional church way.

He started out playing keyboard in a rock 'n roll band in the 70s.  ?  He had a Hammond B3 and a Leslie.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1