Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Beaverton the Groundhog has been turning up at our kitchen window compost pile every day.  I tossed a quarter cabbage head out the window for him today.  I was planning to buy him a bag of carrots, but forgot.

I live in your groundhog!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How is Cinnamon Bun?

She is a sneaky little bugger who likes to chew on cords and hasn't met a barrier that she can't scale.  She even climbs the cage like a little ladder to get in and out of the second story.  But she is also adorable and licks my fingers before trying to eat them. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Beaverton is going to be a roly poly groundhog! 

35 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

My dad has a groundhog in his backyard. His name is Arminius. I don't think they feed him, though.

**YAWN** The kids are doing great on their school so far, and I am worn out and need more sleep.

We had an opossum in our backyard. She wasn’t a permanent resident. I called her Rat. Because she looked like a big rat.?

Edited by KrissiK
They won’t let me add the Booya/h! So i’ll Do it here! Booya/h!!!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

We survived children's choir.  Chocolate chips are now being consumed.  I did warm-ups with them and gave them a simple theory lesson and plunked out notes on the piano and taught them the Japanese round - Hotaru Koi.  There were more kids than we expected.  Not all of the parents signed their kids in, so we don't know who some of them are.  

I need advice for what to do with 25 elementary aged kids when choir rehearsal is over but all their parents are still in the Vespers service which is running late.  The room is small.  We tried hang-man on the white board but that soon turned into a yelling/wrestling frenzy.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We survived children's choir.  I did warm-ups with them and plunked out notes on the piano and taught them the Japanese round - Hotaru Koi.  There were more kids than we expected.  Not all of the parents signed their kids in, so we don't know who some of them are.  

I need advice for what to do with 25 elementary aged kids when choir rehearsal is over but all their parents are still in the Vespers service which is running late.  The room is small.  We tried hang-man on the white board but that soon turned into a yelling/wrestling frenzy.

Printable logic puzzles, coloring pages and plain blank paper.

Google "camp games" or "ice breakers". I'm thinking of a game we played at freshman orientation where we had a piece of paper and someone wrote something on it and the next person drew what was written and the next person had to write down what was drawn without being able to see the writing. It went from a mountain with trees to "hairy titties". Games like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

What time?  We always had a snack at the end of choir.  Or at least a drink.

A snack would be a great idea.  It's 7:00.  I don't know if that's a mess the church wants to deal with on a Wednesday night. We made the mistake of thinking the service would be over on time and that parent's would bother picking their kids up, so that's something we will have to rethink.  I realize that most of the parents see this as free babysitting for an hour, so they don't give much thought to it.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

A snack would be a great idea.  It's 7:00.  I don't know if that's a mess the church wants to deal with on a Wednesday night. We made the mistake of thinking the service would be over on time and that parent's would bother picking their kids up, so that's something we will have to rethink.  I realize that most of the parents see this as free babysitting for an hour, so don't give much thought to it.

If you do snacks once it will be expected each time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

A snack would be a great idea.  It's 7:00.  I don't know if that's a mess the church wants to deal with on a Wednesday night. We made the mistake of thinking the service would be over on time and that parent's would bother picking their kids up, so that's something we will have to rethink.  I realize that most of the parents see this as free babysitting for an hour, so they don't give much thought to it.

I think that if parents don't pick them up on time, each child needs to be given a can of Coke.  That'll learn 'em.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

If you do snacks once it will be expected each time.

Yes - but I expect irresponsible parents to remain so.  

9 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Yeah, stinkin' parents!  Snack could be same for everyone, no choice given, gotten ready before meeting.

I could steal graham crackers from the nursery.  And only give them 1/4 cracker.  Mwahahaha!

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think that if parents don't pick them up on time, each child needs to be given a can of Coke.  That'll learn 'em.  :)

Oh yeah.  Imma pick up some of those little cans and set them out front where they can be easily seen.

Parents are very hard to train.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Paige said:

Have the kids do some stretches to some soothing music like a cool down. 

Or- release them. Say- "Go find your parents." ?

We do warm-up stretches - cool down stretches would feel so nice.  Especially for me.  :biggrin:  How long can do you think we can keep hyperactive kids calmly stretching?

I *think* I can still abide by church child-supervision rules by bringing anyone left up to the sanctuary.  Maybe we should just plan to bring everyone up and forget about trying to get parents to pick up their kids.  I want to be walking out the church doors by 7:15.  Because I am a curmudgeonly old coot.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We do warm-up stretches - cool down stretches would feel so nice.  Especially for me.  :biggrin:  How long can do you think we can keep hyperactive kids calmly stretching?

I *think* I can still abide by church child-supervision rules by bringing anyone left up to the sanctuary.  Maybe we should just plan to bring everyone up and forget about trying to get parents to pick up their kids.  I want to be walking out the church doors by 7:15.  Because I am a curmudgeonly old coot.

I don't think that's being an old coot at all, we did have to start bringing kids to parents on Sunday morning because we had some that just would not come up.

• Like 1

Celery finished colonizing Mars (well, the FutureLearn course, anyway). He's now working on Young People and Mental Health and on World of Spies. This afternoon we're going to the Airborne Museum, because we watched A Bridge Too Far a few months ago. Next weekend they're also having parachutists actually jumping out of planes over the heath, so planning on going to watch that as well. 

• Like 7

Good morning!

Hey luuknam!  Yay Celery!

It seems that I type too fast for my iPad and somehow manage to type aecret codes that delete words or move the cursor to another location or some other such nonsense.  It has baffled me all these years.

I have to bring dd15 to tutorial this morning and pick up books at the library and pick her up again this afternoon and go with her to the library author panel a couple hours later and then go to orchestra rehearsal.  Somewhere in there I need to bake some salmon for dinner.  I think I will need to rethink dinner plans tonight.  We could switch with Saturday's dinner and have ds13 cook spaghetti.  That would work.

Coffee!

• Like 6

Susan definitely switch the dinners!

Slache- now translate

good morning all, we are moving slow this morning, my new 16yo is not feeling well, I think he partied a little too hard for his birthday, lol.  I think I'm just going to try and get him through the big 4 today and see how he feels over the weekend.  I hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

When I was doing Children’s Church and had late parents, I would take the kids and go find the parents. Granted, we were going to a small church and rules were more lax, and I know sometimes parents get caught talking,  but still.... 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Duct tape?

Good morning. Had a late night at the fair, and the boys each won a prize for their squash. I have writing to do this morning, and then art. Boys took a day to go play golf with DH and their grandpa. 

Yay for winning squash.  You must read Sophie’s Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller. One of my all-time favorite picture books!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Slache- now translate

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Blargó

Blargés

Blargé

Blargemos

Blargeís

Blargén

I exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

You exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

H/s/i/yf exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

We exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

Y'all exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

They exclaim lack of sleep on the interwebs.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Cinco y medio horas.

Tengo. sueño.

Five and a half hours.

I have. sleepiness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1