Menu

Ignore this thread!

I was up pretty early this morning (for me) since it's the first day of classes in my new classroom.  I have a bunch of new students so I'm a little nervous but I have a plan so it should be all good.   

The kids will be doing the basics of school - math, reading and working on 4-H record books which have to be turned in by the end of the week.   Dd is also taking two classes today, but ds gets to stay home with the dog.  This will be a fun week of figuring out all the schedules.  I'm thinking of seeing if dd would be willing to take a break from TKD, since that's the biggest outside of the house, at a set time with no flexibiity commitment we have besides my classes.  She likes it but doesn't love it, and her brother's bully is targeting her since ds quit.  She doesn't react like he did and just brushes it off but I'm worried about it getting worse.  The instructors try but when they are already sparring and playing games like dodge ball, it's hard to pick up on whats part of game and what's a step too far.   She has a belt test the end of this week so I'm thinking it's a good time to take a break.  We'll see, I'm going to ask but leave it up to her what she wants to do.   We go to the Y to work-out and she really enjoys that.

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!

Monday!!! Bleh!! Double bleh. (Don’t tell Ellie I said that)

School is happening, mil is coming over this morning, DS1 has a dentist appointment this afternoon, DS2 and DD1 are going to youth group this afternoon and DD3 has her very first piano lesson ever, and then DS1 goes to basketball practice, and DS2 has a scout meeting. All this is happening at approximately the same time. Fortunately we live in a small town.

I just want to go back to bed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning.

Happy Monday, I guess.  ?

I have to schedule a bunch of doctor's appointments.  I wish I had a secretary.

Five of the appointments are the girls' well check up and flu shots.

One of the appointments is with my neurologist.  He is not going to be happy with me because he wants me to do Botox and I really don't want to.  We are running out of options to treat my headaches.

Also, I think I have the beginnings of peripheral neuropathy.  ?

• Sad 7

Dd8, dd10, and dd12 are working on geography projects (Abeka Nation Notebook) and they are driving me crazy.

The two littlest have been wanting to do these for a long time, but I told them they had to wait until their brother went to college.  There is only so much chaos that I am capable of handling at one time.

I have learned that one of the most important aspects of handling a chronic illness is knowing my limitations.  Pretty much everything got put on hold over the summer until we had ds18 launched.

• Like 6

MRI scheduled.

Neurologist scheduled.

Rheumatologist re-scheduled for the same day as the neurologist which saves me a trip to The Big City.  I was amazed that I was actually able to pull that off.

Now I'm going to try to schedule well check-ups and flu shots before the pediatrican closes for lunch...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Day 232  steps 
Day 103 hips
Day 2 bird dog

Hey, Jean, if you're doing bird dog, you may want to follow that up with dead bug. Those two exercises pair well together for strengthening your deep core and stabilizing your lower spine. The Dr. Duvall clip shows you how to position properly.  The other video shows you variations. You start with just lifting your legs to work your transverse abdominals. Eventually you can extend your legs. You can work up to using your arms and legs together. The more advanced versions are also on youtube, depending on your fitness level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Junie said:

Florence is already a Cat 4.

Dh and I will be checking food and water supplies this evening.

Sorry, Junie. ? 

I have to admit that I still have some residual freak out leftover from Harvey last year. Like, I bought drywall knives and I have a portable sump pump kind of freak out.  I still need to get puncture proof boots. So many of my friends ended up with nails through their tennis shoes & hiking boots picking up post hurricane debris. I'm in earthquake territory now, but same cleanup problem... 

Speaking of which, Ellie, have you guys been ok with the rain? My friends in SA say it's been crazy with the flash flooding with I-35 and 410 being under water a lot lately.

• Like 2

I need to make sure that we have ice cream.

I know that it's counter-intuitive to buy ice cream when you expect to lose power, but it's a tradition for us.

When one of the dc was small, she was very afraid of power outages.

We had a hurricane come by and we lost power, as expected.  It was right at our nightly snack time.  I pulled the ice cream out of the freezer and told everyone that we had to eat ALL the ice cream so that we didn't have to throw it out.

She was never afraid of losing power again.  Now whenever we have a storm approaching she checks with me to make sure we have ice cream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I survived. I did not walk the kids because they woke up coughing but I did do a strength training workout and now I can't lift my hands over my head. We got all of school done. We didn't finish school all last week under the circumstances. Now I'm having a pecan pie larabar.

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

School is done for the day. We are using History Pockets to supplement Our Star Spangled Story. We’re doing the Native American one now. My two littlest girls actually like them.  It’s a good thing.

We aren't supplementing because they don't need any more table time, but I think we're going to memorize some of the songs during our morning time. What do you think so far?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paige said:

I wasn't planning on preparing for the storm because we're so far inland and only expecting some thunderstorms but peer pressure is getting to me. Maybe we do need milk and bread. 

You don't need milk if you think you're going to lose power.  That's the main problem at our house.  The roads are usually accessible.

And you have to hope that the grocery stores don't lose power.

We almost didn't have a birthday cake for dd16's first birthday because most of the grocery stores in the area lost power and couldn't bake cakes.

• Like 1

So the girls decided neither one of them wanted the top bunk anymore and we decided to take the bunk beds apart and rearrange their room a little bit.  It's a little more crowded than it was, in some ways, but it's so nice having more space "all the way up" that it makes up for it.  And really if we wanted to move youngest dd's desk back out to the school room it would solve most of the crowding.  But they're going to live with it for awhile before we do anything else. 

Unfortunately, my fitbit needed to charge while we were working on it.  All those lovely steps uncounted.  ?  

Now I have to figure out where to put the ladder and the rails from the (former) top bunk.  

• Like 6

Our forecast:

• Tuesday, high 90, humid, chance of rain and thunderstorms.
  • Wednesday, same.
  • Thursday, 85ish, pouring rain, significant chance of wind that will knock things about and rumple the architecture.
  • Friday, same.
  • Saturday through Monday, a few degrees cooler and more rain, wind dying down a bit.

I would like 67 and dryish, please. Where do I put in an application for autumn?

Seriously, Local Weather Guy has started using words like "epic" and not in a good way. ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Oh! And I took all of my tests so I started my new vitamin regimen. I take a multivitamin, the cutest little vitamin D pill you've ever seen, and a fish oil pill. That'll teach Matt to keep his distance!

I don't have test results yet but I do have a bill!

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

It is bedtime already??

Yes.

• Like 5

Well, the ho'ike is done done done. Alas, no pictures. :-( But a good time was had by all, and no one made any major mistakes, lol.

We dance at a recreation center for seniors. Which sounds so weird. Who decided that old people should be called "seniors"?? Anyway. People have to be 50yo to join, and there are lots of activities. I think some members go there every day, all day. Also, I think Mr. Ellie might join when he retires so he can go play pool with all the other old guys so I can have some alone time, lol.

Anyway. The hula class is free to members; non-members pay $4 for each class. Such a deal. I don't get paid (if I did the same thing outside the rec center and got paid for that, I could get paid by the center, but I don't so I don't). We planned to do our ho'ike outside at a City amphitheater, and because we're an official rec center class, it didn't cost us anything. We practiced outside on the stage for several weeks, with fancy-schmancy entrances and exits and everything. My friend and co-teacher arrived in the wee hours of Thursday morning ❤️ and on Friday we had our dress rehearsal...except that buckets of rain fell out of the sky, and so we talked with management and were given a room inside for our performance (which also didn't cost us anything), as well as using the dance room to change in (also no charge).  Which was kind of kewl, except that instead of an actual dress rehearsal, we spent the time completely rechoreographing entrances and exits (in a room *not* the one we'd be performing in) because the "stage" inside was completely different. These dancers are not experienced enough to make those changes easily. :-(

We had quite a large crowd--mostly family members and friends, but a few people from the rec center, as well. We had a potluck afterwards, and we had a wonderful time.

We were rained out last year, as well (last year we did it in May; this year we did September, because it doesn't usually rain in September); because we have learned our lesson, we have already scheduled the 2019 ho'ike in the grand ballroom of the rec center (which won't cost us anything, because we're an official rec center group). My friend and I are already planning the dances. :-)

Friday was Mr. Ellie's birthday. I warned him a few days in advance that once my friend arrived I couldn't guarantee any kind of meals or anything, and so he didn't expect birthday things. But I got him: on Thursday I ordered a cake, on Friday afternoon I picked it up and took it to the neighbors' house across the street, and they brought it with them to the ho'ike (they were helping with set-up and stuff). We surprised him with candles and everything. :-)

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!

Today is 9/11. I vividly remember getting into my car to go to work that day and getting cold chills as I heard the news report. Even the though it was all happening on the East Coast, I was terrified driving to work and was glad to get to the comfort of the school and my co-workers and we all stood around the television in shock, watching the live broadcasts.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Vitamin D is 20 (very low) and possibly the cause of hair loss. Thyroid is still on the low side of ok. Everything looks ok so far, nothing to cause concern. I'm also switching shampoos just in case.

Define "low side of ok."

TSH should be in the lower fourth of your lab's ranges.

Free T3 should be in the upper half of your lab's ranges.

Free T4 should be in the upper fourth of your lab's ranges.

If your doctor didn't order both Free T3 and Free T4, then y'all don't actually know what your thyroid is doing.

• Like 2

Good Morning!

I slept in.

On 9/11 I was in a ladies' Bible study at church.  One lady was pulled out of the meeting by the church secretary halfway through.  We were told that "there was an incident at the Pentagon" where her husband worked. (He was OK.)  Next door at the school, someone had found a radio and set it up in the lobby.  There were some teachers and students listening and crying.

At this point I still thought this was only an "incident at the Pentagon".

Only as I listened to the radio in the car on the way home did I realize the magnitude of what happened.

• Like 5