Menu

Ignore this thread!

For some bizarre reason, dh thought it would be a good idea to set out chocolate babka for breakfast.  :blink:

Jam is done.  I forgot what I was doing for a bit and stirred a bunch of rhubarb into a batch that was supposed to be just strawberry.  Oh well.  Dishes and equipment are running through the dishwasher.  We are now completely out of sugar.

I officially hate the new online library system.  I am hoping it will get better.  At this point, the catalog does not seem to be updated regularly because I keep reserving books that are available, only to find a couple days later that they were actually checked out.  And I get a separate email notification on every. single. book. telling me that it is due in three days or is available for pickup.  Not even the librarians know how to renew a book online.  The former system was awesome.  So far, this one is crap.  :dry:

• Sad 1

Hey lovely friend ?

Just popping in to say that Dad's surgery to replace his bone flap was last Friday. He did spectacularly and was home by Sunday!! The doctors were amazed at how quickly he recovered from the surgery. YAY!! 

Hopefully soon, my days will slow down a little bit and I can chat more than I have been lately. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

For some bizarre reason, dh thought it would be a good idea to set out chocolate babka for breakfast.  :blink:

Jam is done.  I forgot what I was doing for a bit and stirred a bunch of rhubarb into a batch that was supposed to be just strawberry.  Oh well.  Dishes and equipment are running through the dishwasher.  We are now completely out of sugar.

I had to look up babka. It looks similar to povitica, in which case I say chocolate babka for breakfast is perfectly permissible on a Saturday! 
Also, I love strawberry rhubarb! I can never find rhubarb in this area. ? It makes me sad. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Southern Ivy said:

I had to look up babka. It looks similar to povitica, in which case I say chocolate babka for breakfast is perfectly permissible on a Saturday! 
Also, I love strawberry rhubarb! I can never find rhubarb in this area. ? It makes me sad. 

I am telling myself that chocolate babka is "fairly" similar to having a chocolate-filled croissant pastry for breakfast.  :smile:

Rhubarb is hard to find here, too.  I saw it in the grocery store earlier in the year and bought a bunch and stuck it in the freezer.  I am having mixed results trying to grow it in a giant pot on my back deck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Next up:  Work on the kitchen (especially pet paraphernalia by the back door, counters, table), dust, vacuum, mop.  Take trash.  Oh, and make potato salad.  And do some laundry.  

More than half-way finished.  Still haven't mopped, taken trash or made potato salad.  Laundry has stagnated.  But d/w was unloaded and reloaded.  And I also swept the front porch and walk.  Oh, and I hung a picture.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Slache said:

Menu:
Veggie lasagna
Ginger halibut with Brussels sprouts
Chicken sammiches
Burgers

Blueberry pancakes on Sunday morning!

Menu here:

Tomato bisque
Picnic dinner/fend for your own self
Tacos de carnitas
Baked salmon with hollandaise, rice
Turkey pot pie
Spaghetti with sausage meatballs

• Like 2

I’m back. I survived The Afsa. I put the cold stuff away, made an iced COFFEE~D and am watching sportsball. I love this time of year. I wish it weren’t so |~#@+ Hot still. 

This morning I ripped out my mostly dead cucumbers and some weeds from a raised bed. I got some potting soil from the Afsa and will need to get my winter garden in soon, so it has a chance to get established. I think I will plant some lettuce and green onions. I checked on Leonard the Lemon Tree in the corner and he’s doing quite well. A little bitter because he’s been ignored for a while, but I told him to get over it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I suggested leftovers for dinner; the answer was an adamant no.  So I said fine, I’d make something.  Humph.

I went into the kitchen, cut up all the leftovers, and dumped all of it together in a pot with some chicken stock.  I served it.  I called it soup.  He loved it.  And that’s how you tell an 11 year old, “too bad” without drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Hi.  What’d I miss?

My entire family has been sick for 2 weeks. We're almost done.

I lost 64 pounds but I think it might just be that the scale is broken.

I've lost 3/4 of my hair since July. I think it's a vitamin deficiency. Lots of tests to come.

I look forward to a normal week next week.

How are you and hubby and the boy and the tree?

• Like 1

Sorry about your hair, Slache.  That’s butt.

DH is down in FL.  Tree is happy as it has no idea I’m going to lop its head off one of these days.  Kiddo is happy that I’ve been lax on school.  We had a showing for the house, realtor finally came to take pictures,  and we have two more showings tomorrow.  I don’t like the realtor DH picked.  It’s cold here.  And wet.  Oh, and I have to do the shopping now.  Picture me as a three year old stomping her foot and throwing a tantrum.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

Sorry about your hair, Slache.  That’s butt.

DH is down in FL.  Tree is happy as it has no idea I’m going to lop its head off one of these days.  Kiddo is happy that I’ve been lax on school.  We had a showing for the house, realtor finally came to take pictures,  and we have two more showings tomorrow.  I don’t like the realtor DH picked.  It’s cold here.  And wet.  Oh, and I have to do the shopping now.  Picture me as a three year old stomping her foot and on throwing a tantrum.

That's how I always picture you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lynette is doing pretty well.  She has managed to hold onto her baby since I fenced her in.  I will have to put a greenhouse around her this winter, spoiled princess that she is.  

I gave up on the stupid zucchini.  Why is it that everyone can grow boatloads of zucchini except me?  My baby bell peppers are finally producing actual peppers!  And the tomato plants started growing stuff like crazy in late August.  My Shasta Daisies are dead and gone.  I don't know if it was a bug or a squirrel.  My lavender isn't dead, exactly, but she looks like she'll keel over any minute.  Barb is long gone, but Ruby is doing pretty well aside from the bugs.  I have decided that planting strawberries is a complete waste of effort and money.

I was going to put in some lettuce seeds for fall.  Might not be too late.

• Like 2

I'm hanging out with my oldest while dh and the kids are visiting his parents.  We watched Tag (really funny!), Sherlock Holmes (with RDJ), and now we're watching Sarah Burgess is a Loser.  We had dinner out then swung by Cheesecake Factory to pick up dessert to bring home.   

I cleaned the living room, and organized about 1/2 of it.  Put laundry away.  Set up school for the kids.  Did some class planning.  I'll do more planning tomorrow.  I think I'm going to set up a bullet journal for my science classes. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Lynette is doing pretty well.  She has managed to hold onto her baby since I fenced her in.  I will have to put a greenhouse around her this winter, spoiled princess that she is.  

I gave up on the stupid zucchini.  Why is it that everyone can grow boatloads of zucchini except me?  My baby bell peppers are finally producing actual peppers!  And the tomato plants started growing stuff like crazy in late August.  My Shasta Daisies are dead and gone.  I don't know if it was a bug or a squirrel.  My lavender isn't dead, exactly, but she looks like she'll keel over any minute.  Barb is long gone, but Ruby is doing pretty well aside from the bugs.  I have decided that planting strawberries is a complete waste of effort and money.

I was going to put in some lettuce seeds for fall.  Might not be too late.

There, there, Susan!! My summer squash plant died after producing one measly squash.

• Like 1

This Saturday is my ho'ike (hula recital, in case y'all don't speak Hawaiian). My long-time friend from California is flying in tonight (technically, tomorrow, but her flight arrives at something like 1 a.m.  tomorrow ? ), and we'll be practicing and figuring out last-minute details and all that stuff. Although Central Texas needs the rain, we're hoping for clear skies on Saturday, as we are dancing outside and our audience will be seated on the grass. ?

• Like 3

Good morning. Got a day of writing, drawing, and relaxing planned. It's very gray and soupy-feeling outside. But cool. Not long until fall weather actually gets here. Then I'll pull up the old peppers and defunct tomato vines, mulch the world out of my raised bed, surround it with a barricade to keep the deer out, and plant some greens.

Other than that, I'm just handing around, writing, sketching, and realizing that I really love writing, editing, revising, and experimenting with writing a lot. But all that would go better with candy corn and hot chocolate. The boys have entered two squash in the county fair. Got to polish those suckers up and take them to the fair on Tuesday. They are super excited, although they know they probably won't win anything. Still...

• Like 5