Menu

Ignore this thread!

Crosspost from the High School board:  What should we do for 11th grade lit? We will be doing Crash Course World History with worksheets/tests for history (since sometimes lit. is matched to history).  Dd just had neuropsych evals.  She doesn't have dyslexia as such and has good comprehension etc. but she has some tracking issues (which the neuropsych couldn't specifically explain) and so has a hard time reading.  She reads at a solid 9th grade level.  She also has considerable trouble with writing and is writing at a 5th grade level (at least for the test - in practice it is a bit higher and she has written essays for me but not fullblown research papers and she is slow as molasses.  Any ideas of what we should do for literature?  Of course, what I used for ds at this age won't work for dd. . . .

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I've had as much caffeine as is probably safe.  I'm planning to load up on ibuprofin before we leave and suck on a cold-eez on the way there.  Is there anything else I should do to prevent violating regulation WTM-4.6J during the concert?

Hand sanitizer for everyone.

Your compliance is appreciated.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Crosspost from the High School board:  What should we do for 11th grade lit? We will be doing Crash Course World History with worksheets/tests for history (since sometimes lit. is matched to history).  Dd just had neuropsych evals.  She doesn't have dyslexia as such and has good comprehension etc. but she has some tracking issues (which the neuropsych couldn't specifically explain) and so has a hard time reading.  She reads at a solid 9th grade level.  She also has considerable trouble with writing and is writing at a 5th grade level (at least for the test - in practice it is a bit higher and she has written essays for me but not fullblown research papers and she is slow as molasses.  Any ideas of what we should do for literature?  Of course, what I used for ds at this age won't work for dd. . . .

Do you have access to Teaching the Classics DVDs?  There are 6 sessions on 4 dvds lasting a total of 5.5 - 6 hours total.  The example short stories are (shortened and) read by Adam Andrews on the videos before he discusses the next element (plot, conflict, setting, character, theme...).  You could spread them out in whatever way seems best.  He uses a story chart to help document the different elements (including rising action, climax, denouement, conclusion, setting, etc.).  You could use a similar diagram as a way of discussing whatever you (she) wanted to read the rest of the year - you determine the selections; you control length and difficulty; you control reading or listening to audio books.  

Alternatively, I think they used to have some recorded book discussions on their website if you dig around a bit. 

• Like 3

Ed Po:

So, my youngest (5th grade) wanted a class to go to and so we added an inexpensive English class at a co-op I was already familiar with and a teacher I was already familiar with.  And I thought it would be great to have accountability for writing because I don't really love teaching it.  And I don't regret it at all.  But I just want to say I do not love Easy Grammar so far.  I've used Daily Grams before, but never Easy Grammar.  It's not horrible.  I can sit with her and talk through the sentences the way I want to - and sometimes I do that.  Sometimes she does the workbook page without me and we make corrections afterwards.  No big deal.  I think she'll learn a bit from it by the end.  But though the knowledge comes late, I know I never want to choose this to use on my own.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Writing with literature, I think. 

So, you could go with the approach in WTM - write a short (2-3 sentence) summary of the work and then a short paragraph answering one or more discussion questions or discussing the author's theme and whether she agrees with it or not.  

An inexpensive resource that might help you design literature and writing about literature is The Reader's Odyssey by Dena M. Luchsinger.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What do you think I should do?  My own?  Or Excellence in Literature?  (And if you say "yes" to an "Or" question, I will smack you.  Remember. . . I know where you live. . . )

Do it yourself. You can customize as you go.

• Like 1

Literature/Writing here is hand-picked literature with minimal analysis and discussion (because my dc hate discussing literature) and WWS levels 1-3.

You could start with WWS 1 and either not finish all three books or do it at an advanced pace (maybe skip some assignments).

As for literature, I like a literature appreciation approach more than an analyze it to death approach.  Some analysis is good, but mostly I want my kids to enjoy reading.  Analysis tends to kill that.

I posted my very long literature lists some time ago.  I can give you suggestions if you would like.

• Like 5

Hello friends! I have been offboard for a while. DH struggled with crippling depression throughout the whole of August, which has been difficult. Kids are doing well. I feel unprepared for Tuesday. (I am not an ogre.) I  haven't written a LOI to the school district yet, so I guess I actually am unprepared ? Also I acquired 4 new tutoring students in August, bringing my total to 10 students... who will all be having class on weekdays AFTER I finish homeschool for the day, some of whom take multiple lessons per week. So most of my days will be approx. 11 hours long. Hubby says: It'll be okay. You can do it. I say: Not so sure about that, honeybear. Hoping I don't, you know, burn out hardcore.

Today was Box Day Part 1--Christianbook. Hopefully tomorrow will be Box Day Part 2--Rainbow Boogaloo. Funny story: I purchased a large number of new tutoring materials from Japan on Monday. They arrived yesterday--3 day turnaround. I did not pay extra for rush shipping. Christianbook's warehouse is located in my state and my order from them took 7 days. Moral of the story: if you need something fast, consider Amazon Japan.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Hello friends! I have been offboard for a while. DH struggled with crippling depression throughout the whole of August, which has been difficult. Kids are doing well. I feel unprepared for Tuesday. (I am not an ogre.) I  haven't written a LOI to the school district yet, so I guess I actually am unprepared ? Also I acquired 4 new tutoring students in August, bringing my total to 10 students... who will all be having class on weekdays AFTER I finish homeschool for the day, some of whom take multiple lessons per week. So most of my days will be approx. 11 hours long. Hubby says: It'll be okay. You can do it. I say: Not so sure about that, honeybear. Hoping I don't, you know, burn out hardcore.

Today was Box Day Part 1--Christianbook. Hopefully tomorrow will be Box Day Part 2--Rainbow Boogaloo. Funny story: I purchased a large number of new tutoring materials from Japan on Monday. They arrived yesterday--3 day turnaround. I did not pay extra for rush shipping. Christianbook's warehouse is located in my state and my order from them took 7 days. Moral of the story: if you need something fast, consider Amazon Japan.

Hey, Egao!  Good to see you.  Hope your dh is feeling better.  Hugs to you!  

• Like 2

Dd10 just showed me a cute picture of a purple-haired unicorn and a rainbow that she drew for her friend's birthday.  She said that her friend was due on Christmas day but was born a little bit late.

I was really confused until I realized that friend's birthday is in late December and dd10 was drawing the picture now because she was bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The kids are really enjoying the ocarina which was previously banned because rabid monkey. Are they easy to learn? Because this one's mine and I never follow through with things so I don't know.

It's an I used be a huge Legend of Zelda fan BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

One of dd14's concert pieces this semester is Sleigh Ride.  She says that she had never heard it before.

#musicappreciationfail

A couple of my kids sang that in children's choir last December and they both claimed vehemently that they had never heard it.  Oh well.  They sure know it now!

• Like 4

Every year, my orchestra ends it's first concert of the season (the pops concert) with the Stars and Stripes March by Sousa, and all the kids are invited to come up and conduct the orchestra.  I just realized tonight that ds23 grew up conducting that piece every year, and this year he's playing it as part of the orchestra with his little brother and sisters conducting him.  :wub:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Every year, my orchestra ends it's its first concert of the season (the pops concert) with the Stars and Stripes March by Sousa, and all the kids are invited to come up and conduct the orchestra.  I just realized tonight that ds23 grew up conducting that piece every year, and this year he's playing it as part of the orchestra with his little brother and sisters conducting him.  :wub:

FTFY.

What a wonderful experience, and what wonderful memories!!! :wub:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Every year, my orchestra ends it's first concert of the season (the pops concert) with the Stars and Stripes March by Sousa, and all the kids are invited to come up and conduct the orchestra.  I just realized tonight that ds23 grew up conducting that piece every year, and this year he's playing it as part of the orchestra with his little brother and sisters conducting him.  :wub:

It’s my dream to play the piccolo in that song. I played flute and piccolo in junior high and loved it. The piccolo is like driving a little sportscar compared to the flute.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

❤️

How are you feeling?

• Like 2

Baby woke me way too early for a Saturday. And then there was no creamer for my coffee. ?I quickly googled when the grocery stores opened because I'm not a drink it black kind of girl and it was an emergency.  Walmart was the only one open at 6, so I packed Baby up and went because I was so kindly letting DH sleep. On the way home, I stopped at a coffee place for coffee, because emergency, and sweet Baby grabbed my cup on the way back to the car and spilled it all over my neck. So now, I'm pretty sure I have at least 1st or maybe a few 2nd degree burns all over my neck and down my chest in a splash pattern. That was my morning....No, I didn't drop Baby. And, no, I'm not going to the doctor. I put some aloe on it and it stung like a DonkeyKong, but I think I can manage it at home. I'm really, really lucky it was local coffee shop coffee and a latte with milk instead of fast food coffee. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Saturday!!!

August is over. Yay!! I always know when it’s September first by the shooting. It’s dove season.

We’re leaving today. Gonna go see some old friends from our adoption group. They moved out of the area a few years back, so we and another family are traveling nearly 4 hours to see them. We’ll spend the night at their house and come back tomorrow,

• Like 7