• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is me. None of my seeds even sprouted. My strawberry plants were eaten by squirrels. I just bought new herbs...but I have probably doomed them.

Hope springs eternal.

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Trick to solve blossom end rot. Go put three Tums tablets in the ground near each tomato plant. It helps.

Done!

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

The boy and I are headed to the lake to collect water lilies. I feel like Tom Bombadil.

I love saying Tom Bombadil.

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s a God thing. Lately the need to get LD evals for dd has become imperative. But money. Today we got a surprise gift from our church for the amount we would need for evaluations. 

:smile:

• Like 5

We churched, church BBQ'd and now I'm home, showered and in bed. This has been my least painful menstrual cycle possibly in years. I don't know if it's exercise, diet or coincidence, but my money's on exercise.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Starting to pack up stuff. We leave tomorrow. My ITT time will be spotty as I'm going to have my tablet, not my computer, and I don't like doing Internet as much with my tablet.

Also, six months from today is Christmas Eve.

That is all.

• Like 6

Not ketchupped. I had an interview by phone or in person every day for the last two weeks. Am sitting here with three offers in hand--all amazing. I am feeling incredibly blessed and fortunate on a day that is special to me! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Ellie said:

Starting to pack up stuff. We leave tomorrow. My ITT time will be spotty as I'm going to have my tablet, not my computer, and I don't like doing Internet as much with my tablet.

Also, six months from today is Christmas Eve.

That is all.

Have a wonderful time!  Wave to all our West Coast ITT'ers from the plane!

2 hours ago, Tsuga said:

Not ketchupped. I had an interview by phone or in person every day for the last two weeks. Am sitting here with three offers in hand--all amazing. I am feeling incredibly blessed and fortunate on a day that is special to me! 

Congratulations - that's amazing!  

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ellie said:

We will be here on July 2. It's gonna be hotter than blazes, but at least it will be a dry heat...

That's a super fun park!

We went on a (fairly long) hike for my birthday. I got slightly dehydrated and didn't want to eat dinner so birthday dinner was leftover pumpkin bread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Good morning. I have a house to clean today. A dangerous, post-edit, post-revision house, with clutter in every corner and possible infectious organisms in the bathrooms. After tea and chores, I plan to don the scrubbing clothes and get after the mess, because I have one week until Camp NaNo begins, ten days until I get my developmental edit back and have to start thinking about what changes I must make based on that, ten days until a critique on fifty pages for a friend is due (and I want her to change the chapter order around and have to prove why I think that needs to happen!), three days to finish critiques on some short stories, four days until SFFpit (ten pitches--how in Hades do I come up with ten pitches? Three were hard enough!) and somewhere in there I have a chapter to critique for a friend, and two or three short stories to 1)edit,  2) revise, 3) rewrite. Running around and screeching like a hoot owl on fire right about now.

Oh, and since I was feeling like a spot of self-torture this morning, I signed up for a MOOC creative writing course from Uni of Iowa. I am so dead. I know I'll love it, but typing all that up looks so overwhelming. Three weeks until it starts.

I am not doing school today. Nope, nope, nope!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

??Happy Birthday, Tsuga!!??

An Awesome Tsuga Birthday Booyah!!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends
It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

This is the thread that never ends....

• Like 7

Thanks everyone! I'm all up in my 40s now! I was already "40" but now I'm "in my 40s". I have an actual doctor's appointment on Wednesday because I should learn to be responsible and all that. Also finally sucking it up and getting a corporate job.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Tsuga said:

Thanks everyone! I'm all up in my 40s now! I was already "40" but now I'm "in my 40s". I have an actual doctor's appointment on Wednesday because I should learn to be responsible and all that. Also finally sucking it up and getting a corporate job.

Happy Birthday!

56 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

So, I have a few serious questions, do you have an instant pot?  If you do, what exactly do you make in it?  What are you reading right now?

Yes, but I bought it on Prime Day for $60 and absolutely would not pay $120 unless that was not a lot of money to me. This is my best recipe but it makes a better slow cooker than a regular slow cooker so that's our go to. It also makes the best hard boiled eggs you've ever had. I have no idea why that is. I've tried the yogurt thing. I failed the yogurt thing.

Reading list:

• San Mateo (Bible)
  • Jugo de Tronos (fiction)
  • Luke with hubby
  • Hebrew word of the day devotional with hubby
  • The Writer's Jungle (this is taking me forever but it's absolutely fabulous)

Plan to start:

• Becoming a Supple Leopard (fitness)
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Reset Your Child's Brain

For School:

• Egermeier's Story Bible
  • Training Hearts, Teaching Minds
  • Flying Creatuers
  • Various biographies
  • Various Poetry books
  • Like 3
57 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

So, I have a few serious questions, do you have an instant pot?  If you do, what exactly do you make in it?  What are you reading right now?

I have not one but two Instant Pots. I have cooked turkey breast, Mississippi Pot Roast, Crack Chicken, all sorts of other chicken, enough hard-cooked eggs to feed an army, potatoes for potato salad and smashing, rice, so so many cheesecakes, other stuff.

I'm reading "The White Dragon," the third book in the Dragonriders of Pern series. Because vacation. I have a couple of books on my Kindle, which I might read while on the plane.

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Slache said:

Happy Birthday!

Yes, but I bought it on Prime Day for $60 and absolutely would not pay $120 unless that was not a lot of money to me. This is my best recipe but it makes a better slow cooker than a regular slow cooker so that's our go to. It also makes the best hard boiled eggs you've ever had. I have no idea why that is. I've tried the yogurt thing. I failed the yogurt thing.

Reading list:

• San Mateo (Bible)
  • Jugo de Tronos (fiction)
  • Luke with hubby
  • Hebrew word of the day devotional with hubby
  • The Writer's Jungle (this is taking me forever but it's absolutely fabulous)

Plan to start:

• Becoming a Supple Leopard (fitness)
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Reset Your Child's Brain

For School:

• Egermeier's Story Bible
  • Training Hearts, Teaching Minds
  • Flying Creatuers
  • Various biographies
  • Various Poetry books

You are so awesome!!

• Like 1

I just read Bodily Harm by Margaret Atwood, I Am Malala by Malala Yousufzai, and am reading The Home and the World by Tagore. It's a feminist spring I guess!

Next up I am going to finish some books on logic.

For school, we are memorizing poems in German and Chinese, doing more Beast Academy and school math, swim team and I want to read I Am Malala together. I also want to build an insect hotel because they are so cute, we have wood, and I think it would be really fun. I also have a challenge for the kids to use the vegetables that grew so well... We're going to learn to love radishes or hate them!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mama25angels said:

I must be as cool as Jean, but not as smart.  I bought one.  Tried to use it several times and didn't like it.  After searching and searching for someone to give it to, I finally found a friend who wanted it and she's really glad to have it.  

• Like 3

oops, forgot to answer 2nd question....

I started a book about John Quincy Adams, but decided I wasn't in the mood to read it right now and returned it to the library today.  I probably won't start anything new for a little while.  (What a lame answer.  I suppose you could have lived without knowing I'm too flakey to read anything right now.....)  I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like we're already sliding into the end of summer / start of school even though it's still a month away.  <insert willy nilly guy> 

• Like 2

I do not have an instant pot. I do have a popcorn popper. I was reading a short story of mine and just finished a chapter read for a fellow writer. I will be reading those again tonight, and some short stories. 

I am so tired. Afternoon tea should revive me. I did some cleaning and now I need to cook. My boys deserve a better Mom, but right now they just have to put up with writer Mom. Sigh.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Yes - eggs (I usually make a dozen or so hardcooked eggs a week), potatoes, sweet potatoes, brats and other sausages (I like to cook them first, then quick grill or whatever), rice (I can't cook rice on the stove to save my life), chicken, pork butt (for bbq pulled pork sandwiches, tacos de carnitas, etc.), roasts, etc.  I use the slow cooker setting a lot for soups and casseroles.  We used to make oatmeal a lot, but dh likes it on the stove better.  Next to the coffee maker, it's my most used small appliance.  I use it almost every day and sometimes twice or more.

I started listening to Atlas Shrugged but decided I needed to read it instead.  I'm waiting for it to be available at the library.  I can't read more than one book at a time.  If I try to add another, one of them will eventually be abandoned.  I might try to finish "How to Have That Difficult Conversation" while I wait.

2 hours ago, mama25angels said:

What about an air fryer?

Nope.  Could be yummy.  

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes - eggs (I usually make a dozen or so hardcooked eggs a week), potatoes, sweet potatoes, brats and other sausages (I like to cook them first, then quick grill or whatever), rice (I can't cook rice on the stove to save my life), chicken, pork butt (for bbq pulled pork sandwiches, tacos de carnitas, etc.), roasts, etc.  I use the slow cooker setting a lot for soups and casseroles.  We used to make oatmeal a lot, but dh likes it on the stove better.  Next to the coffee maker, it's my most used small appliance.  I use it almost every day and sometimes twice or more.

I started listening to Atlas Shrugged but decided I needed to read it instead.  I'm waiting for it to be available at the library.  I can't read more than one book at a time.  If I try to add another, one of them will eventually be abandoned.  I might try to finish "How to Have That Difficult Conversation" while I wait.

Nope.  Could be yummy.  

When you have time, will you post a few of your recipes for me to try?  I'm so anxious to actually really learn to use mine.  I'm also going to look at some recipe sites.

Dentist visit was good - no one had any cavities.  ?   I love my hygenist.  They try to schedule everyone with the same person every visit, which is nice, and the office will get the five of us done in less than 2 hours, so that's really nice.  Our dentist is the one who told us about the Via Alpina.  

We nabbed the last 3 chocolate babka at Aldi.  ?

I am done peeling (boiling water and ice bath made it easy), pitting, and processing peaches for jam.  It took a lot longer than I expected, but it's done.  Imma just sit here for 10 more minutes and then get started on dinner.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

oops, forgot to answer 2nd question....

I started a book about John Quincy Adams, but decided I wasn't in the mood to read it right now and returned it to the library today.  I probably won't start anything new for a little while.  (What a lame answer.  I suppose you could have lived without knowing I'm too flakey to read anything right now.....)  I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like we're already sliding into the end of summer / start of school even though it's still a month away.  <insert willy nilly guy> 

For some reason I don't feel like reading much of anything either.  

• Like 1