Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

It was a cute Hallmark flick about a lady who grows a giant pumpkin. I hoped for more pumpkin and less romance, but movies about giant gourds aren't exactly easy to find.

Aww, that sounds great. Every time you mention your kids and squash I want them to read “Sophie’s Squash” by Pat Zietlow Miller. I’m sure i’ve Mentioned it here before, but it is one of my all time favorite picture books. 

• Like 2

Tsuga, I want a tracker that allows me to plan out the year, accounting for days off/planned vacations that I enter, indicate that an assignment was completed, and also allows me to recalculate the rest of the year with a click of a button at any time, redistributing assignments that were not checked as done.  I’d like to be able to purchase modules for certain curriculum which have all the parts planned out down to the pages and when I have to print something in advance or buy supplies, like MCT LA or Beast Academy or AAS.  I’d like to be able to customize the view so that I can see daily assignments and print, switch to a weekly to see what’s coming, and monthly to see whatever.  I’d like to be able to click something at the end that gives me a transcript.  Grades optional as a side benefit.  Oh, and can you make it so people with multiple kids can see individual kids or daily for all, and color-code it so they are easy to keep visually separate?  And daily pop-ups that tell me I’m doing great and my kid is lucky to have me.

Okay, thanks.  It’ll be great!

(Pretty please with a cherry on top.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Susan, this seems like an awful lot of work. I’ll tell you what, I’ll hide behind a rock and “kidnap” you as you walk by and take you to the nearest Hilton Hotel and we can have room service and binge watch Hawaii Five-0, while your family has freeze dried Thai chicken and sleeps on the ground.?

I love it when a plan comes together!

(duh duh duuuuuuh, du-duh duh, du-du-duh duh da duh, duh du-du-duh duuuuh)

It's an A Team Booyah!  I pity da fool!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends
It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

This is the thread that never ends....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Looking at this another way. My adoration for CM philosophy is the same reason I would not use your product. Education is an atmosphere, a life that I am trying to cultivate in my home. Tracking whether today's nature walk was educational, that we didn't actually learn anything in Japanese last week, only played games with what we knew, and that we didn't get to the beastacademy page I had intended will not cultivate what I want in my home, it will just add stress. Maybe others will disagree. 

Yes!  Thank you for saying what I couldn't.

Susan, this seems like an awful lot of work. I’ll tell you what, I’ll hide behind a rock and “kidnap” you as you walk by and take you to the nearest Hilton Hotel and we can have room service and binge watch Hawaii Five-0, while your family has freeze dried Thai chicken and sleeps on the ground.?

I'm so thankful Krissi is my BFF.  ❤️

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

My husband and I were discussing theology and couldn't figure something out so I went to the Greek and figured it out and I now I'm bragging about it to you. ?

You are awesome!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

ATTENTION!

Today's Epiphany (aka Today's Combatting of Perfectionism):

*ahem*

There is absolutely no point in becoming overwhelmed that I'm not yet the teacher I want to be. Using that mental space and energy to instead LEARN BETTER TODAY is a much more satisfying use of time.

*steps down*

Yay!! Claps, whistles, etc. You are right about that. Perfectionism is a bitter enemy. I fight it all the Time!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Aargh!

Don't worry, I like you. Even if the forum won't let me show it.

What is this bedtime mode of which you speak?

These are for you: ?????

They sparkle.

Awe. 

Bedtime mode is a setting which changes the backlight to a yellower screen. It's so nice I may set it for the whole time. Mine has an option to set it for a certain time of day.

• Like 1

I'll bet Susan sings when she hikes. 

I am up. Awake, not so much. The dreaded Aunt decided to show up around midnight and made herself a nuisance. Have lots of revising, typing and school planning to do, but first, caffeine, ITT and grocery list.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Daily goals (which do not include routine things, such as Bible reading, prayer, morning and evening grooming, or meals?

¤Daily 6 lessons (maths, language arts, Spanish, speech practice, reading aloud (kids and me), and P.E./health)

¤Daily 5 chores (make beds, laundry, dishes, vacuum/sweep, swipe toilets)

¤Study (all the kids' upscoming curriculum first, then maths and writing for myself, in preparation for returning to school myself in the next couple of years)

¤Write

¤Walk, preferably outside

¤Spend (at least!) 15 minutes non-school time alone with each kid

It's more than 3, but less than 12. Thoughts?

You forgot COFFEE.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Daily goals (which do not include routine things, such as Bible reading, prayer, morning and evening grooming, or meals?

¤Daily 6 lessons (maths, language arts, Spanish, speech practice, reading aloud (kids and me), and P.E./health)

¤Study (all the kids' upscoming curriculum first, then maths and writing for myself, in preparation for returning to school myself in the next couple of years)

¤Write

That'd be too much for me to keep up consistently.  But it's exactly the kind of list I would make: it's the I WANT to do this list.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

¤Write

Pick three of those and go to every other day. Let some stuff overlap. Studying might be reading one day, writing one day, and history or subject of interest one day. 

• Like 3

Out in the sea is a thread on whether you think you are a good mother or not.  (Or something to that effect.)  I'm going to expound here for my peeps because this is how I process things - by typing them out.

Yes, Virginia, I do think that I'm a good mother.  I have provided food (not always perfectly balanced organic food ?  ), shelter (not always - ok not ever- pristine shelter), clothing (a lot of it from thrift stores but it has been clean and has fit most of the time except for times of great growth spurts), exercise, medical care (though it has taken years for us to sort out certain diagnoses), training in our values (but I don't expect a particular outcome - that's on the kids and their own volition), spiritual instruction (again - no particular outcome is expected), and lots of love.  It doesn't mean that I am perfectly patient or kind or gracious or fun or. . .   whatever. . . because I never expected to give up my sinful nature to somehow be perfect when I became a mother.  I do try to make things right with God and family and friends when I blow it and have made that a priority.  I give a lot of grace to my kids and they give a lot of grace to me. 

I have willingly added "homeschool" to the mother designation but that wasn't a struggle for me because I wanted to be a homeschool mom even when I was single.  I am not however a perfect homeschool mom.  I have provided training in the 3 R's and exposure to lots of content.  After a certain age, whether they learn it or not is up to my kid's volition.  I have not always met my own standards of how much to expose them to etc. but those standards are an ideal and I have taught enough years in brick and mortar schools to know that ideals aren't met there either even at the expensive fancy private school where I taught at one point. 

Being a mom has been hard at times for all sorts of different reasons.  It's hard to watch kids suffer with health conditions that you just can't fix or even pinpoint with total accuracy.  It's hard to watch kids battle "growing pains" (including the kind that have to do with their attitudes etc.).  We have had years when things have been more of a battle than a comfy cozy float down the river of life.  (Comfy cozy floats have been very brief.  You blink and it's gone!)  It's tiring to be a mom.  But I think all of that is true of the human condition in general and I don't expect it to be any different as a mom. 

I feel like I should have a concluding paragraph here but I can't think of what to write in it so I'm going to leave you dangling.  Hold on tight!  There might or might not be a safety net. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Daily goals (which do not include routine things, such as Bible reading, prayer, morning and evening grooming, or meals):

¤Study (all the kids' upcoming curriculum first, then maths and writing for myself, in preparation for returning to school myself in the next couple of years)

¤Write

How do you handle these? I do time boxing. Individual items are looped)

5-6: Study (scripture, Spanish, Japanese, Greek, ANKI)

6-7: Workout (fitness, shower, prep breakfast)

7-8: Morning Time (kids eat, I fast, Bible, art appreciation, singing, recitation)

This makes for less transitions. School is in two blocks. Each block has more and less rigorous mixed and more and less pencil to paper mixed so neither brain nor hand gets tired. The time between the two blocks is another "time block" so it's not wasted. We use it for a walk, showers, and snacks.

We do the same thing Monday through Friday, Saturday is our rest day, Sunday is *all* the housework and school prep. We have a nightly list to keep the house nice and the kids don't get to eat until their things are picked up but normal housework is all crunched into one day.

Leftovers are your friend. The slow cooker is your friend. 

• Like 1

I'm adding a brisk 20 minute walk to my daily routine for 3 reasons.

1. Step count.

2. Fat.

3. It will force me to start earlier.

Mostly #3. 

31 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

You are a great Mom, Jean.

I think I'm probably average. I'm okay with it.

AVERAGE!? I don't know what this says about me but it's not a good thing.

• Like 2

Well, I think you all are great moms. And i’m Not just saying that. I see everyone’s gifts and talents and personalities here, and nobody claims to be perfect, but everyone has something to give and it’s wonderful. I admire each one of you ITT gals for certain different things, and I would list them all, but i’m Afraid I would forget someone and I don’t want to do that.  We can be so hard on ourselves as moms. I know I am.

• Like 7

At least i’m Not the kind of parent who lets their kids go to The Walmart, run up and down the aisles, throw balls and sword fight in the toy department. Which is what happened yesterday. And I didn’t see it, but the entire store heard about it when the guy came on the loudspeaker and asked parents to please control their children.?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

(((Jean)))

At least i’m Not the kind of parent who lets their kids go to The Walmart, run up and down the aisles, throw balls and sword fight in the toy department. Which is what happened yesterday. And I didn’t see it, but the entire store heard about it when the guy came on the loudspeaker and asked parents to please control their children.?

This will most likely happen to me before my children are grown.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I revived long enough to wallow round bales off the trailer with DH and the boys. Then I showered and am back in the bed. Somehow I think tomorrow we will have an unscheduled day off of school for teacher to recover from feeling like she was being torn in half at the middle for hours. I am worn out.

But food is being fixed for me, the boys are out walking the dogs, I'm clean so I can go to bed as early as I like after the elderly animals are medicated, I finished revisions on chapter 23, and I didn't break the ITT rule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1