Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!  Happy end of April!  One month more to go before some scheduled things fall off the schedule for the summer.  Plenty of other things to jump on the schedule -- maybe I'll get some of those scheduled today.

I think I mentioned on ITText: my uncle (Dad's one surviving brother), aunt, and one of their grown sons are coming for a visit in late May, on the weekend on which my youngest nephew's birthday falls.  They locked in their airplane tickets and their dates before ever giving me a clue, and just informed me yesterday by email when they are coming.  I know they will be coming primarily to visit Dad, but since they will only get an hour or two of visiting out of him each day they will be looking to visit with me and my family, too.  I look forward to seeing them, but their timing was rather inconvenient.

Luckily I have a very accommodating SIL, who has agreed to move youngest nephew's larger family celebration to the weekend after, when we celebrate DD13's birthday, too.

I'm going to want to get several more boxes toted off to the storage unit before then....

• Like 3

This is the first Monday in weeks that Dad hasn't had an appointment.  I won't see him until this afternoon, so I can actually have a school meet-up with the girls.  I told them before and reminded them yesterday.  

And I reminded DD16 again right now to get into the shower.  I understand, my brain wanted to believe it was still weekend, too.

The plan for school meet-up is to go over what the girls have been doing these past few weeks, look at what is left for us to do before autumn, and make some decisions.

Meanwhile I am running laundry.  It is nice to have back at least half of one of my laundry days.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Is this a cousin of the whip-or-whils? (Or however the heck you say it, we don’t have those birds in California)

Yes. They are the largest member of the nightjar family in North America, I believe. They are the creepiest birds you ever saw. They lie out on the dirt roads in the dark, and their red eyes gleam at you in the headlights. They have huge mouths and can even eat small birds and bats if they choose, but they prefer insects. They also are incessant. We had one get under the window one night and he.would.not.stop.singing! Loud, loud, loud.

• Like 3

Good morning. Woke up to birdsong. Always nice. My children are still in bed. I also had an email waiting for me from an editor somewhat more local to my area. I'm half looking forward to getting a quote for my manuscript and working with someone who loves the area, works on fantasy fiction, and isn't a thousand miles away.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. Woke up to birdsong. Always nice. My children are still in bed. I also had an email waiting for me from an editor somewhat more local to my area. I'm half looking forward to getting a quote for my manuscript and working with someone who loves the area, works on fantasy fiction, and isn't a thousand miles away.

This sounds great!  Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AMJ said:

This sounds great!  Keeping my fingers crossed!

We'll see. He got back in touch with me well before 24 hours, and seemed interested in the project, and gave me his usual procedure when looking over a new manuscript. I sent him some additional information, and we'll see if he's interested in taking the project on and what it will cost me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Yay Critter!!

• Like 1

The kids are still sleeping and I keep hearing “bangs” from the girls’ room. It’s my baby. Her bed is up against the wall and every time she rolls over, she bangs against the wall. She never wakes up, though. I guess it’s good the wall is there or she’d be rolling off the bed.:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Yes. They are the largest member of the nightjar family in North America, I believe. They are the creepiest birds you ever saw. They lie out on the dirt roads in the dark, and their red eyes gleam at you in the headlights. They have huge mouths and can even eat small birds and bats if they choose, but they prefer insects. They also are incessant. We had one get under the window one night and he.would.not.stop.singing! Loud, loud, loud.

Ok, that sounds just unreal. Ewwww.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

The kids are still sleeping and I keep hearing “bangs” from the girls’ room. It’s my baby. Her bed is up against the wall and every time she rolls over, she bangs against the wall. She never wakes up, though. I guess it’s good the wall is there or she’d be rolling off the bed.:biggrin:

Have you thought about putting sticky felt furniture pads on the hard surfaces of the bed?  Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=felt+furniture+pads&sprefix=felt+furniture%2Caps%2C238&crid=23HDM9YD36EB5

We use these a lot for various furniture that can bump up against walls or other furniture.  They really quiet down the thumps.

• Like 1

I've been waking up to bird song also.  Most of my neighbors have garden landscaping and feeders out.  I have some robins that like to pull insects out of my mulch in the morning. American robins here look like they've been dipped in bleach. They are so much paler.  Their feathers are a softer grey and their bellies are a faded red/orange.  On the prairie, they look more deep black and bright red. I had no idea that there were such strong regional differences.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I've been waking up to bird song also.  Most of my neighbors have garden landscaping and feeders out.  I have some robins that like to pull insects out of my mulch in the morning. American robins here look like they've been dipped in bleach. They are so much paler.  Their feathers are a softer grey and their bellies are a faded red/orange.  On the prairie, they look more deep black and bright red. I had no idea that there were such strong regional differences.

When I went to Canada, I couldn't get over the black squirrels. The people saw me gawking and thought I was so strange. I told them our squirrels were gray or red. They thought that was strange.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have birds singing every morning, too. Mostly it’s the twitters of the finches and sparrows. Sometimes we have the mourning doves cooing, which I love. And of course the mocking birds. I’ll have to take a look at our robins. I never really thought about how they looked, but then again I have no basis for comparison with other robins.

• Like 1

Crappy Monday morning!  

I have a ton to do and instead I'm in a state of frozen panic.  I can't even seem to delegate. I am gone all afternoon and evening, so I have about an hour and a half to do everything that needs to be done, plus make lunch and dinner.  Where is Willy Nilly when you need him!?!  

I can't even have coffee - fasting today.  Maybe I'm dehydrated.  

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Crappy Monday morning!  

I have a ton to do and instead I'm in a state of frozen panic.  I can't even seem to delegate. I am gone all afternoon and evening, so I have about an hour and a half to do everything that needs to be done, plus make lunch and dinner.  Where is Willy Nilly when you need him!?!  

Oh, Susan!! I am so sorry!! ((Major hugs))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMJ said:

Good morning!  Happy end of April!  One month more to go before some scheduled things fall off the schedule for the summer.  Plenty of other things to jump on the schedule -- maybe I'll get some of those scheduled today.

I think I mentioned on ITText: my uncle (Dad's one surviving brother), aunt, and one of their grown sons are coming for a visit in late May, on the weekend on which my youngest nephew's birthday falls.  They locked in their airplane tickets and their dates before ever giving me a clue, and just informed me yesterday by email when they are coming.  I know they will be coming primarily to visit Dad, but since they will only get an hour or two of visiting out of him each day they will be looking to visit with me and my family, too.  I look forward to seeing them, but their timing was rather inconvenient.

Luckily I have a very accommodating SIL, who has agreed to move youngest nephew's larger family celebration to the weekend after, when we celebrate DD13's birthday, too.

I'm going to want to get several more boxes toted off to the storage unit before then....

I'm sorry people aren't more considerate.

I'm bumping in to this too---and it's frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Crappy Monday morning!  

Hugs.

Can you have water with your fast or are you fully fasting? Water would help, I would think.

• Like 2

I had an epiphany.  I have been feeling so guilty that so many things have conspired to keep me from teaching high school as hands on as I'd like for dd.  But despite her telling me repeatedly that she's fine with how things are going, I haven't accepted it.  But it struck me this morning that when I was a teen, I wanted to be schooled exactly the way she is doing it now.  So maybe it's ok.  Of course, I'm really behind in grading and I might change my mind after I've graded all these papers. . . .

• Like 8