• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I guess that I'm wearing my Xena Warrior Princess battle clothes today.  Lots of doors to pound on (by phone) today to get things to happen. 

We will all ululate impressively in the background while you make your calls.  People will fall at your feet in awe!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am pricing out chemistry equipment.  I have a fair stash of supplies already and I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to order a full kit or only components.  The full kits run $300-500, depending on whether you will settle for an alcohol burner (nope, I want butane so it gets hot enough to do the experiments) and depending on how much glassware I want.  I can't find the calibration weight for my digital scale either. :(

Be sure and check if any chemistry equipment is outlawed by your state.  For instance, for some reason Erlenmeyer flasks are not legal in Texas.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Be sure and check if any chemistry equipment is outlawed by your state.  For instance, for some reason Erlenmeyer flasks are not legal in Texas.

Seriously?? I love Erlenmeyer flasks!! Well, guess we’re not moving to Texas!!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Everyone is being kick-butt today but me! Wah! I went to art after hassling the folks at Lowes about plant markers, but I don't have much energy today. I haven't eaten much of anything yet. That might have something to do with it. I got home and started working to get stuff ready for dinner, and forgot that lunch might be good for me.

I'm not that kick-butty today either.  I didn't consider that a NOON phlebotomy would of course have me hungry before we were done.  Note to self: eat a snack BEFORE Dad's appointments.  You make Dad do it, so you should do it, too.  We both got lunch about 1:45 PM.

We waited 20 minutes just to get his vitals taken before he could start his phlebotomy.  No one told the nurse taking vitals that Dad was just there for a phlebotomy, and not to see the doctor of the day.  As soon as she found out she brought Dad straight back and took his vitals immediately.

Dad has bandages on his arms that are to stay put until 5:30 this evening.  After I fed him and took him for a haircut I took him home and told him I will come back this evening to take the things off his arms.  I can do that while DD13 is Aikidoing.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Slache said:

I forgot about mother's day. :svengo:

So did I.  I wonder if this year I can get DH to think of and get his own present for his own mother?  Perhaps if I start mentioning it now....

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I feel like I’m in limbo as far as planning goes until I figure out extracurricular schedules for next year.  Will it be a four day week?  Five day?  Three long days and two short days?  I don’t know.  And no one will tell me until May probably...doop dee doo..

Right there with you.  Only I won't find out DD13's fall schedule until July.  If then.

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!  Someone called me back!  Woo hoo!  We have movement!  And an appt!  Just on one issue but it's the most important issue so I'm glad. 

See?  I KNEW that ululating would pay off!

Seriously, good job!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Yup.  I find this irritating.  They don't restrict spoons, or ziploc bags, or other innocent gear that just happens to be useful in making drugs.  Restricting the sale of Erlenmeyer flasks won't slow down the drug trade.  But no, we don't get to use perfectly legitimate chemistry equipment in pursuit of honest and legal studies because someone wanted to do SOMETHING to show they were taking action.

It's a sore point with me.  And I resent that I only found this out when I ordered in a book on home chemistry labs.  At least that book's authors were willing to tell us!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Paige said:

I don't like it when people refer to my DDs as "the twins." They have names. It grates even after almost 14 years. 

DDs 13 will not be with us for very much longer. 

My two get referred to as "the boys" a lot. But just as often, they get called by their individual names.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Paige said:

I don't like it when people refer to my DDs as "the twins." They have names. It grates even after almost 14 years. 

DDs 13 will not be with us for very much longer. 

Dh's best friends from college are identical twins.

We saw them in a mall one time.  I called to them to get them to slow down so that we could say hello.  I called their individual names -- loudly -- and they both kept walking.  I called out "Twins!" and they both stopped and turned around.  :shrug:

They moved away from where we live a long time ago, but my older kids remember them.  The kids never did learn to tell them apart.  They called them "The Uncle Fwins".  :)

• Haha 4

Dd15 is done with tutorial for the year!  She was awarded a little tub of goodies and a giftcard to the movie theater for having attended morning devotional each week (and doing something with her assignment book).  We stopped at the hardware store to pick up a couple herb plants and seed packets and more potting soil.  Wally is running and dd11 finally woke up from her 2-hour nap.  The giant purple allium are starting to bloom!

I know I get overly excited about flowers, but last year we had exactly Zero flowers in our yard (except dandilions, honeysuckle, and clover) and this year things are actually starting to grow and bloom! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd15 is done with tutorial for the year!  She was awarded a little tub of goodies and a giftcard to the movie theater for having attended morning devotional each week (and doing something with her assignment book).  We stopped at the hardware store to pick up a couple herb plants and seed packets and more potting soil.  Wally is running and dd11 finally woke up from her 2-hour nap.  The giant purple allium are starting to bloom!

I know I get overly excited about flowers, but last year we had exactly Zero flowers in our yard (except dandilions, honeysuckle, and clover) and this year things are actually starting to grow and bloom! :)

You have described my yard... and you have given me hope.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Paige said:

I'm getting my mom this for Mother's Day if you want an idea. I think she'll love it. 

My mother would hate that, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm not getting her anything. I just imagine that since we didn't move MIL will suddenly need a $200 item and be a complete pill if she doesn't get it.

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

My mother would hate that, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I'm not getting her anything. I just imagine that since we didn't move MIL will suddenly need a $200 item and be a complete pill if she doesn't get it.

She’s not your mom. Matt can just say no. Since when do people get to tell others what to give them as gifts anyway?

(not irritated at you. Irritated at your MIL)

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

She’s not your mom. Matt can just say no. Since when do people get to tell others what to give them as gifts anyway?

(not irritated at you. Irritated at your MIL)

She makes me in charge of gift buying because I'm better at it. She's always hand picked gifts and they've always been $50+ more than she's willing to spend on anyone else because "she doesn't have the money but we do." Whatever. I gave up when I said we couldn't afford something and she told me to put it on a credit card. That's what she does. Racks up debt and has someone bail her out. No one bails us out though! Anyway. She'll ask us for a $170 necklace and we'll put $25 in her paypal and Matt will call her and tell her I said happy mother's day and that will be that. She's gotten tired in her old age and less willing to fight me on every little thing.

• Confused 1

I guess we moved away just in time? I am going to buy good flasks.

I still miss HEB, and Torchy’s Tacos.

Three trees and a large bush are down. It was crazy watching the guys go up on ropes. Those trees were really old, and I am sad, but a bit relieved. I won’t worry when the next strong wind comes through. 

The roof guys are also here—gutters are being cleaned and reworked and the roof is getting some help. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Slache said:

She makes me in charge of gift buying because I'm better at it. She's always hand picked gifts and they've always been $50+ more than she's willing to spend on anyone else because "she doesn't have the money but we do." Whatever. I gave up when I said we couldn't afford something and she told me to put it on a credit card. That's what she does. Racks up debt and has someone bail her out. No one bails us out though! Anyway. She'll ask us for a $170 necklace and we'll put $25 in her paypal and Matt will call her and tell her I said happy mother's day and that will be that. She's gotten tired in her old age and less willing to fight me on every little thing.

My dad bails us out. If we needed $40 for diapers I would call him and explain how I messed up and he would put $60 in our account. But I can't rack up $80,000 in debt and have someone else pay it off like she can.

• Like 2
  • 89 days until the in laws come.
  • 106 days to complete my weight loss goal.
  • 157 days until our 1st family vacation ever.
  • 347 days until I climb another mountain.
  • 1,173 days until the car's paid off.
  • 1,520 until we're debt free.

In case you were wondering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
1 hour ago, Slache said:

Wow.  My MIL has never asked me for anything. Ever.  She and I trade books back and forth, and she is always pleasant. 

I think I should tell my husband to get her something nice this year.  LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Y'all, I am sick of cold weather. This coming from someone who hates to see summer unpack the bags and can't wait until fall kicks it out. We just hauled all the plants in from the porch because we are headed down to the lower forties tonight, and that's too close to freezing at my house for tender young plants.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
17 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Y'all, I am sick of cold weather. This coming from someone who hates to see summer unpack the bags and can't wait until fall kicks it out. We just hauled all the plants in from the porch because we are headed down to the lower forties tonight, and that's too close to freezing at my house for tender young plants.

I know - I should have been done covering up Lynette a month ago!

• Like 1

I'm beat.  Imma watch some "Lost in Space".  Tomorrow we are taking an unexpected field trip to the art museum to see an exhibit of Ancient Roman art on loan from the British Museum.  It was supposed to be on exhibit until the end of May but for some reason they announced a couple days ago that it would be closing on Saturday!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I put the boys to bed. Tucked them in, turned out the lights. Finally, I can take a shower.

Bang, pitter patter, bark, door slam, pitter patter.

Pitter patter, boom, bark, bark, crash.

Turn shower off. Wrap towel around myself.

"What in Earth is going on?"

Two little boys tucked in bed.

Turn around. Hear giggles.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, lanalouwho said:

I put the boys to bed. Tucked them in, turned out the lights. Finally, I can take a shower.

Bang, pitter patter, bark, door slam, pitter patter.

Pitter patter, boom, bark, bark, crash.

Turn shower off. Wrap towel around myself.

"What in Earth is going on?"

Two little boys tucked in bed.

Turn around. Hear giggles.

You should write a children’s book!!

• Like 4

Good morning!

Go Jean, Go!

I am down 11lbs.  My mini-goal was 16lbs by May 1, but it's progress at least.

We have misc. lessons and music practice this morning, then we are off to see the art of native Latin speakers.  :D  The art museum also has a neat art room where kids can do projects, sketch, and do other artistic kinds of things.  Also, kids get free admission to the museum.  :)

Coffee!!!!  ~D  (sideways steaming coffee cup.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

I am not down 11 pounds. 

Sigh.

Last day of testing!  Hooray!

Yesterday I started reading Augustine's Confessions while I was testing.  I figured that if I'm going to hang out with classical homeschoolers maybe I should read something classical.

(I'm through Book One and I'm not impressed yet.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1