Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

My adventurous old lady dog has once again found her way out of the yard. I swear this dog is making me crazy. I worry about her so much.

ETA: I shouldn't be worried. She probably found a nice elderly person to feed her treats and she will come home on her own. But she's not as spritely as she used to be, and every time she gets out, I think this may be the time she never comes back.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 190.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Slache

    25196

  • Susan in TN

    17635

  • Jean in Newcastle

    17626

  • KrissiK

    15580

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, lanalouwho said:

My adventurous old lady dog has once again found her way out of the yard. I swear this dog is making me crazy. I worry about her so much.

ETA: I shouldn't be worried. She probably found a nice elderly person to feed her treats and she will come home on her own. But she's not as spritely as she used to be, and every time she gets out, I think this may be the time she never comes back.

Do you know where she's getting out? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of resourceful little things... 

Don’t read this if you are eating.

 

Seriously, put down the food.

 

 

 

The oven installer is here and we discovered a ton of mouse poo and a hole a mouse ate up through the flooring to reach a covered space under my oven.

 

Dying here. Seriously freaked out. They are patching the hole before the new oven goes in.

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AMJ said:

I have some old plaques and desktop clutter (stand-up plaque-like thingies spouting company values or slogans and the like) from my time years ago working for a corporation.  These things are essentially meaningless; they won't help me in the future if I wanted to return to work and they aren't things I want to have decorating my home.  What does one do with such things?  Just chuck them into the trash?

It's going to be you or some relative decades from now...

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I trashed mine.  For the trophies where I could peel off the brass label, I did that and donated them---they can often be reused by cub scouts or whatever during pinewood derbies.

You could always photograph them if you want a record.

19 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Have we seen Luuknam lately?

No.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I never did get a nap today, although I did try for an hour before dinner.

One of the girls took 2 1/2 hours to take a 20 minute math test.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through a second book for the week.  I got a bunch of 99 cent books in the mail last week -- just in time!

Hamburgers for dinner.

Cleaned some kitchen cabinets.

And I found out that the script for my medication is expired and I only have one injection left.  This gives me two weeks to get this figured out.  Sigh.

And that, for the most part, was my day.

:)

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Junie said:

 

And I found out that the script for my medication is expired and I only have one injection left.  This gives me two weeks to get this figured out.  Sigh.

And that, for the most part, was my day.

:)

D:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

D:

I know, right.

The pharmacy called right in the middle of our horrendously long testing session (when I was supposed to be napping) to let me know that they could not refill the script because my doctor had not responded to their requests for new prescription.

I called the doctor's office myself, but it's part of a large hospital system and really difficult to get through to the right person.

My next injection is on Monday and then I'm out.

I may need some bazooka power and elephant ninjas if they don't figure it out soon. ;)

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Speaking of resourceful little things... 

Don’t read this if you are eating.

 

Seriously, put down the food.

 

 

 

The oven installer is here and we discovered a ton of mouse poo and a hole a mouse ate up through the flooring to reach a covered space under my oven.

 

Dying here. Seriously freaked out. They are patching the hole before the new oven goes in.

 

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

((Prairie))  Want to borrow my cat?  (Though seriously, this scaredy cat would be scared of a mouse.)

 

(((Prairie)))

She can borrow my cat.  My cat will hunt those meeces!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Junie said:

I never did get a nap today, although I did try for an hour before dinner.

One of the girls took 2 1/2 hours to take a 20 minute math test.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through a second book for the week.  I got a bunch of 99 cent books in the mail last week -- just in time!

Hamburgers for dinner.

Cleaned some kitchen cabinets.

And I found out that the script for my medication is expired and I only have one injection left.  This gives me two weeks to get this figured out.  Sigh.

And that, for the most part, was my day.

:)

 

Likety and ((Junie))

My pharmacy switched my regular prescriptions over to 90-day refills when I inquired about that this evening.  They discovered doing so would drop the copay on all but one of this bunch to $0!  And the one that didn't drop was Levothyroxine and didn't cost much.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tsuga said:

Two call backs! Woohoo! And one "we'll find you something"!!!

Yay!!!   Go Tsuga.  Atta girl!

DH just got a, “We don’t have an opening so let’s create one!”  Woot.  He’s just waiting on the call from HR.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

1.5 tubes of caulk later, the holes are all filled.

I have no idea how old that damage is—we have seen no other evidence since we moved in so I don’t think it’s an active problem—but we will be calling a contractor to deal with the crawl space to make sure there are no other issues (we need to replace the vapor barrier) and we will be calling an exterminator. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, Paige said:

Which dress for DH's retirement ceremony? Or neither? Are both too young? Don't go stealing them out from under me before I make a decision...Dress 1 seems more springy and light and I don't have any other white dressy outfits. Dress 2 seems like a more forgiving cut if the fit is off, but I have a lot of navy. I have another dress in this brand/size that fits so I think they'll be ok but it's hard to know for sure. 

https://www.thredup.com/product/women-milly-casual-dress/26104199

https://www.thredup.com/product/women-milly-casual-dress/36057709

In case you haven't already picked one, I love....them both.  

 

#felpful

#alsolikethredup

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Junie said:

I know, right.

The pharmacy called right in the middle of our horrendously long testing session (when I was supposed to be napping) to let me know that they could not refill the script because my doctor had not responded to their requests for new prescription.

I called the doctor's office myself, but it's part of a large hospital system and really difficult to get through to the right person.

My next injection is on Monday and then I'm out.

I may need some bazooka power and elephant ninjas if they don't figure it out soon. ;)

Based on my experience, they absolutely have the ability to overnight a rx to you. Just tell them you are out and you will be in a wheelchair without your meds.

I have been dealing with a similar problem. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AMJ said:

 

Which recipes are you looking at?

Mostly ones on theyummylife.com and trailcooking.com.  Since our next trip will be 3 nights instead of just 1, We'll need to work on cutting down the weight of food as much as possible.  

7 hours ago, AMJ said:

 

You sound like they left some cotton in.

Foo-eeahh!

I think they must have numbed her fingers!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tucked into bed and finally getting a moment to ketchup.  :-)

It's vacation week for us, which isn't very exciting as it's mostly just me trying to accomplish stuff while everyone builds forts in every corner of the house.  But I did manage to get the clothing inventories for spring/summer done, and most of the clothing needs purchased (online).  Also, I was asked to coordinate my daughters' dresses with their cousin's new dress for a professional family photo we are having at my parents' 50th celebration, and managed to find two dresses in our hand-me-down bin that will work for the two younger girls.  Only need to purchase something for oldest dd. Yay!

I also tackled Mount Washmore.  

And cleaned out my very messy closet.  Tomorrow, maybe the crawlspace.  

 

Or maybe not.

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Council was packed. Fortunately I went early and snagged a seat. Also fortunately I was early enough to work out how to put up my PowerPoint presentation (actually Sway) before the meeting. 90% of the audience agreed with my stance and broke out in applause and cheers when I finished. Which technically is against the rules but it was a passionate crowd.  Then in what I thought was a really odd development, when the three people who disagreed with everyone else got up, instead of directing their comments to the council like they are supposed to, they turned and spoke directly to me specifically which felt really weird.

I had to leave in the middle of the council discussion which was after the public comment period to pick up  dd. Hopefully someone will fill me in on what happens. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Council was packed. Fortunately I went early and snagged a seat. Also fortunately I was early enough to work out how to put up my PowerPoint presentation (actually Sway) before the meeting. 90% of the audience agreed with my stance and broke out in applause and cheers when I finished. Which technically is against the rules but it was a passionate crowd.  Then in what I thought was a really odd development, when the three people who disagreed with everyone else got up, instead of directing their comments to the council like they are supposed to, they turned and spoke directly to me specifically which felt really weird.

I had to leave in the middle of the council discussion which was after the public comment period to pick up  dd. Hopefully someone will fill me in on what happens. 

Jeannie for President!!!

woohooo!!! 

Go get ‘em, girlfriend!!!

vote ITT!! The only party that makes sense!!

Our Motto: Semper ubi sub ubi!!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

In case you haven't already picked one, I love....them both.  

 

#felpful

#alsolikethredup

Not #felpful...

I went with neither and got a navy one in the same style as the white one. It was half the price. I liked the white one better but I like saving money even more. 

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!  It's humph day!

Three cheers for Jean!

Today I get to plant my Black-eyed Susans, and lavender, and echinacea.  Kids have misc. lessons to do.  Dd9 is super excited that she only has 12 pages of math to do.  Dd11 is frustrated that she has many many more days of math to do.  Tomorrow is dd15's last day of tutorial.  I'm so happy about that!

Coffee!

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I think there is a new person in charge of editing our church bulletin and weekly email.  Twice now this week they have had the wrong date on them - Sunday's bulletin said "April 8th" and this morning's email says "April 4th".  :D

Perhaps Slache's former trainee moved to TN?  LOL.         j/k

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

Have we talked about The Reader's Odyssey here?  It's a short book (140 pages) about doing an individualized literature program for homeschool.  I like the goals, the attitude, and the approach very much.  Has anyone else read it?

I've not heard of this before, but it sounds very much like my approach to literature.

Dd13's literature list is going to look very different compared to ds17's, for example.  (Dd15's list is going to include nearly everything from both their lists.  She will read almost anything.)

I don't require as much analysis as I should, so the book might be a good read for me to figure out how to fit that in.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like its approach to analysis is also very gentle.  I really like it.  (Though I've only read it so far, not implemented it, lol.) 

I discussed it with 14yo dd yesterday and have started brainstorming a list of possible literature for next year.  I will scale it back somewhat because she will do Byline (from Clearwater Press) as her primary English credit.  

ETA:  It's an ED PO BOOYAH!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

Have we talked about The Reader's Odyssey here?  It's a short book (140 pages) about doing an individualized literature program for homeschool.  I like the goals, the attitude, and the approach very much.  Has anyone else read it?

I have it. I like the approach, too. It might be a little too involved for me, but I do like the student having some say in the literature choices. That said, there are some things I want my boys to read regardless of personal preferences. Still, I think those books are better done with buddy reading. I certainly wouldn't have picked out some of the short stories I read, but some of them have had a formative effect on my writing. 

So targeted, yes, but there's also room for reading widely things you like and things you hate. You never know where your literature tastes will lead you in the end.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ed-Po

Lynn reminds me that I need to write out what I want to do with my approach to literature analysis in the future. I want to focus on stories as a writer would focus on them. It's all well and good to identify literary elements, but I want the boys to be able to identify the element, why the author used it, to what effect, and to be able to apply it to their own writing, or to be able to tell me why they dislike that style and wouldn't want to apply it to their writing.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I think there is a new person in charge of editing our church bulletin and weekly email.  Twice now this week they have had the wrong date on them - Sunday's bulletin said "April 8th" and this morning's email says "April 4th".  :D

Sounds like me.

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

Have we talked about The Reader's Odyssey here?  It's a short book (140 pages) about doing an individualized literature program for homeschool.  I like the goals, the attitude, and the approach very much.  Has anyone else read it?

I read it after you mentioned it. It was basically my philosophy in a book I hadn't written. I took a few notes so I never have to read it again. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...