Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

ikslo--can you report back on Ready Player One? There were some bits in the book that are not family friendly, and I'm not sure if it's ok to take my tween to see the show.

Sure.  Lynn went to it already I believe.

• Like 1

I have been feeling a lot better this week than usual.

Earlier this week I listed a bunch of stuff on ebay.

Tonight after church I did meal prep.  Two batches of hamburgers and a huge batch of meatballs are now in the freezer.  I also cooked up some ground beef to put in spaghetti  and I cooked some pasta to make into pasta salad tomorrow.

Yay me!

I think I deserve a cookie.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spudater said:

I was staying away at first virtuously in order to read but now I’m in a funk and just ?????.  

I do think I may have figured out how to finish up by mid-May, so hopefully that will help.

You know you can’t stay away from us. We are addictive. We are the mind meld. You must assimilate. 

Plus, we love you and miss you when you are not around.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Have to bring dd15 to tutorial and go to Aldi and go wherever else to pick up misc. odds and ends for backpacking.  So far my backpack weighs 16lb and only has sleeping bag, underquilt, bug net, rainfly/hardware, and hammock/hardware.  Weather is calling for possible strong storms overnight on Friday so we will have to batton down the hatches pretty well.

Coffee!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! 

I've been reading, but I haven't had much to say. DH and I had our first marriage counseling session this week (though we've both had individual sessions before this). I think it went rather well, and I'm thankful DH is interested in continuing. Our family dynamics are improving so much. It's a miracle, ya'll, and that's not flippancy.

Please keep Runner in your prayers. His circumcision (can I say circumcision here?) healed with a skin bridge, which is now bothering him, so he's having a procedure done on Tuesday to correct it. I know he'll be fine, but he'll be sedated, and I'm nervous.

How do you clean? Now that my scheduler is finished, my next area of organization is the household. We do okay on clutter, as DH finds organizing to be relaxing, so he regularly sorts and purges for us (though with our input and help, where needed). However, I dislike cleaning, so it only gets done when needed, and I would like to fix that. Not perfectly clean at all times, but a more regular routine, partly for present enjoyment and partly to set positive habits in myself and the kids. So how do you do it? Once a week, or a little every day? Do you have zones, a la Flylady, or just do what needs doing at the time? Triage or maintenance? Do you fly by the seat of your pants, or do you have a schedule and a plan? Do you fit in tasks as you can, or do you schedule in time? Inquiring minds want to know... 

Love you, folks. Today is going to be a good day.

Booya on cleaning!

Yes.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tsuga said:

Not move the gas lines!!! Noooo!!!

Mmmm

I'm ultra pro whiteboard. I say paint the table with whiteboard paint.

I wish there were a hug emoji. :::Hug:::

Ooo, I like that whiteboard table idea!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! 

I've been reading, but I haven't had much to say. DH and I had our first marriage counseling session this week (though we've both had individual sessions before this). I think it went rather well, and I'm thankful DH is interested in continuing. Our family dynamics are improving so much. It's a miracle, ya'll, and that's not flippancy.

Please keep Runner in your prayers. His circumcision (can I say circumcision here?) healed with a skin bridge, which is now bothering him, so he's having a procedure done on Tuesday to correct it. I know he'll be fine, but he'll be sedated, and I'm nervous.

How do you clean? Now that my scheduler is finished, my next area of organization is the household. We do okay on clutter, as DH finds organizing to be relaxing, so he regularly sorts and purges for us (though with our input and help, where needed). However, I dislike cleaning, so it only gets done when needed, and I would like to fix that. Not perfectly clean at all times, but a more regular routine, partly for present enjoyment and partly to set positive habits in myself and the kids. So how do you do it? Once a week, or a little every day? Do you have zones, a la Flylady, or just do what needs doing at the time? Triage or maintenance? Do you fly by the seat of your pants, or do you have a schedule and a plan? Do you fit in tasks as you can, or do you schedule in time? Inquiring minds want to know... 

Booya on cleaning!

Cleaning around here gets derailed when things get too busy, but there are a few things that I do find helpful and I can manage to keep up much of the time:

• Tidy up your bed every morning.  It gives a boost to one's spirits to have that straightened, and sends the message that time spent in the bed is valued.  Wash those sheets weekly, if possible, especially during hot times of the year.
  • A Flylady thing: Swish & Swipe your bathroom(s) every day.  This is simply cleaning the toilet (bowl, seat, base, etc.) and wiping out the sink and surrounding counter.  A fresh toilet and clean sink go far towards feeling like your housework isn't that far behind.
  • If your washer has a delay wash use it.  I can put a load of laundry in at bedtime, set my delay to 8 hours, and the washer runs about the time we are starting to wake up.  By the time it's done I am up, showered, and dressed, and I am more likely to get the laundry moved to the dryer and more put in the wash right away.  Getting laundry going earlier in the day has helped me get moving on other tasks, too.
  • Simplify meals when schedules are tight.  The girls and I got home about 7 PM yesterday evening, and DH already had the sausages grilling.  Some bagged salad, a declaration that everyone can get their own additional fruits and veggies, and supper was served.

Let us know what you end up trying!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! 

Booya on cleaning!

We pick up before every meal.

We have a nightly list (wipe counters and tables, pick up, vacuum, dishes, top of microwave which is where short projects go like broken toys).

We have a weekly list that includes all housework that could possibly need to be done. Every Sunday I print it, highlight what actually needs to be done that particular week, and we work on it together. I typically work on the light stuff while Matt does the heavy stuff and each of us has one child following us around doing menial tasks to speed the process. Alex is usually swinging from the chandelier during this process.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Grd mrng. Mmph. One day I'd actually be interested in waking up without feeling like I need to go back to bed. I've never had that happen, even when I was a kid. I don't suppose it will happen now. Caffeine to the rescue!

My kitchen is full of plants. I wanted to get some of them out in the raised bed to grow for the next few weeks, but we are probably going to get frost again this weekend. So I'll have to share the space for a while longer.

On cleaning--I like working a zone for an hour and calling it good. Monday-animal intensive, Tuesday-kitchen/dining area, Wednesday-front room, Thursday-sweep the whole house or work on a project area, Friday-bedrooms and bathrooms (boys do their own). Every day has chores in the morning and evening (dishes, laundry, animal things, garden stuff). On Sunday I have school planning and grocery list. I don't like cleaning for more than an hour a day. If I have something big to do, I schedule it to be done on a school break.

• Like 5

My biggest epiphany on cleaning came some years ago, when I realized that I wasn't going to fight the law, cause the law always wins. In this case, the law was entropy. For some reason, I had this idea stuck in my head that when you clean it, it's supposed to stay clean. I'm much happier having decided that my job is just to clean in that one moment, and what happens ten minutes later shouldn't bother me.

• Like 9

We tried zone cleaning and it didn't work here. We would have the living room on Wednesday and Matt would take everything that was out of place in the living room and set it on my dresser and it would stay there until Monday when he moved it back to the living room which resulted in me doing all of the housework.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

My biggest epiphany on cleaning came some years ago, when I realized that I wasn't going to fight the law, cause the law always wins. In this case, the law was entropy. For some reason, I had this idea stuck in my head that when you clean it, it's supposed to stay clean. I'm much happier having decided that my job is just to clean in that one moment, and what happens ten minutes later shouldn't bother me.

I need this as my own personal recitation. 

• Like 5

Cleaning?? Well, the kids have zones which change weekly. And assigned Saturday chores. But they only get those done if they are nagged....er... reminded. I take care of the kitchen because I am picky about that. Although I would say that our house is only moderately tidy. The countertop between the kitchen and nook is always piled high with stuff I never know what to do with.

11 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFFEE!!☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

Friday Eve!!??

Today is Middle DD’s Birthday. She is 9.

Happy Birthday, Miss 9-years-old!!!!

• Like 1

We also did ten minute cleaning. We start the timer and I order/shout/cry/whine/beg for ten minutes to "PLEASE HELP CLEAN IT IS JUST TEN MINUTES" while they mull over a single piece of fuzz on the carpet. It takes us 2 days to get anything even started so time boxing doesn't work.

I just nag. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Slache said:

My kids have always gotten up at 7 in the morning. For the past month or two the baby has gotten up between 6 and 6:30 and began screaming until 7 when I let him get up. Is there any reason not to let my kids get up at 6 and see how it goes?

Hmmm, why don’t you try that, Slashie, and then tell us how that works out for you!!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

We also did ten minute cleaning. We start the timer and I order/shout/cry/whine/beg for ten minutes to "PLEASE HELP CLEAN IT IS JUST TEN MINUTES" while they mull over a single piece of fuzz on the carpet. It takes us 2 days to get anything even started so time boxing doesn't work.

I just nag. 

Hmmm, that sounds just like us!! “There’s trash all over the floor!! Why can’t you even see that??”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There is a puppy squirming on my (seated) feet. Why she has to squirm and why she chose my feet as the best squirmy spot, we will never know.   It feels weird. 

At least she’s not peeing on your feet.

#smallblessings

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Because you need that time to be a human being before being Mom? (That is, if you're me.)

ETA - I can be quite Mean Mommy about quiet times, barring emergencies. Not so much when they're babies, of course, but at this age (21 months) I make Squishy stay in bed, with toys and books. He'll eventually get that he comes out when the alarm rings at 7. I do give a clean diaper and lots of hugs and kisses and love, but he stays in bed.

I agree with this. My kids get up late now, but when they were little I made them stay in their rooms until a more reasonable time. They could look at books or play, but they had to be quiet and be in their rooms.

14 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Because you need that time to be a human being before being Mom? (That is, if you're me.)

ETA - I can be quite Mean Mommy about quiet times, barring emergencies. Not so much when they're babies, of course, but at this age (21 months) I make Squishy stay in bed, with toys and books. He'll eventually get that he comes out when the alarm rings at 7. I do give a clean diaper and lots of hugs and kisses and love, but he stays in bed.

I get up at 5. I'm thinking of letting them get up and having a longer quiet time in the afternoon. He will probably sleep if I do that.

If a baby eats a phone bill do you still have to pay it? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a bad night. Puppy had a bad night. And I can only charge my Fitbit if I hold it onto the charger "just right". I cannot wait until I get a new one on Monday. 

I'm sorry. I hope you get your new Fitbit and it works perfectly!

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Hmmm, that sounds just like us!! “There’s trash all over the floor!! Why can’t you even see that??”

Oh man. Per the other thread on kids not seeing stuff... I did not see anything until I was 30 but my issue is that if I point at it and use my hands to direct their heads there then how can they still not see it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1