Menu

Ignore this thread!

EDPO

We watched the first episode of Myths & Monsters which talked about Joseph Campbell’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces.  Counting that as part of our LA/Creative Writing.  

Then we watched the first episode of WWII in Color, which goes perfectly with where we are in Modern History.

Then we did Russian.

Earlier he did math and science and read a few chapters.

So I’m totally considering this a full day.  The word of the day is “facilitator.”  :)

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Go Krissi, Go!

I did go. DH came with me. These are our “dates”. We can never get out, but we have our walks - we’re alone, we can talk, it’s free and we get our exercise. It works!

And I reached my step goal. Yay me!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ooo, that's quite a project!  What kind of bee-plants are you looking at?

Lavender, Bee balm (Monarda) and echinacea for sure...still double checking on how much sunlight I am going to have for the rest. The rosemary that is already there seems to be doing ok but not well. I think it needs drier feet. My husband wants to do all roses everywhere, but I am not convinced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Lavender, Bee balm (Monarda) and echinacea for sure...still double checking on how much sunlight I am going to have for the rest. The rosemary that is already there seems to be doing ok but not well. I think it needs drier feet. My husband wants to do all roses everywhere, but I am not convinced.

I have never grown Bee balm, but i’ve Grown echinacea. I love that stuff. It is so pretty!! Roses are pretty, too.

• Like 1

Still a lot of catch-up to do.  My cat isn't helping.  After NOT coming in last night when called she is in now, and decided to hop into my chair just as I reached the point of no return on sitting in said chair.  Now she's mad because I sat on her.

GOOOOOD MORNING, ITT!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2018 at 2:39 PM, KrissiK said:

Well, it's always in the back of our mind.  Things with California are getting crazier and crazier.... more restrictive homeschooling laws, the high-speed rail fiasco, the drought,  the whole Illegal alien/sanctuary state thing, California continues to put restrictions and higher taxes on the backs of business, so businesses are moving out of California. The parent company of DH's company is out of state and we're not sure when his boss is just going to say, "Enough's enough" and leave altogether. DH has been looking for a job for the past couple years and jobs are hard to find here in manufacturing. And the political climate.... our current Governor is crazy liberal, but the guy who's the front-runner in the gubernatorial race is even crazier than the current guy.  We want to stay here because our roots are pretty deep and family and all that... but, if DH can't find a job. And we are kind of expecting a mass exodus in the next several years because of the tax burden on the middle class, so if we wait till then we're afraid we'd get pennies on the dollar for our house.  The bottom line is, we don't want to  move. At all.  But, we may not have a choice and are thinking we want to move when we are in control of things and not when DH is out of a job and the whole California economy is collapsing.

Anyhow, apparently there are jobs in DH's field in Midland. So, we've been throwing that around.

I can't speak to Midland specifically (not familiar with it), but cost of living is certainly better in Texas than many other states, pay is a bit better, and homeschooling pretty much just requires you cover a certain 5 subjects.  And you will be closer to a lot of us!  And there's no state income tax.  Much as I loved Colorado and Minnesota, we are much better off here.

SE Texas has high heat, high humidity, and mosquitoes galore, and seldom ever gets any snow at all.  Northcentral Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) gets some pretty impressive plains storms and gets some snow most winters, but not a lot.  The Hill Country gets some relief from the heat at times and is really pretty, so it gets a lot of tourists.  It also has a lot of cedar, which I am apparently allergic to.  Anyplace one might want to live has its challenges, so shop around and pick.  Former work acquaintances who had lived in Midland didn't seem to mind it.

I hope whatever you folks decide your DH manages to get a good job that meets the family's needs and he can be satisfied with.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2018 at 6:09 PM, KrissiK said:

Well, we are used to dry.  But it does look rather.... in the middle of nowhere.

There's a lot of Texas to look through.  Have you looked closer to some major cities?  How about along U.S. Highway 287?  A lot of that is ranch land, but there are cities along it that also have some industry or another.  And there are manufacturing jobs in the Houston region.  *wink wink nudge nudge*

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 10:51 PM, lots of little ducklings said:

I got rid of the ducklin' gas.

Whaddayathink?  

It feels so....#notlikeaonewordhashtagish . I'm undecided.

eta:  i could go all millenial and drop the capitalization.  would that fool y'all into thinking i'm younger than i actually am?  

(Psst:  Go edit your location in your profile.  Please add a colon and a space in front of your location.  Ikslo will thank you!)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I have cranky Monday turtles. But I also have hot tea and popcorn. 

DD13's hulless popcorn came in yesterday, so now she can have popcorn, too, again.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ikslo said:

Once you’ve posted your response with a quote, click on the swishy arrow in the upper right corner of the quote in your response, which brings you back to that original post to which you just responded.

Ooo!  Testing....

21 hours ago, ikslo said:

Once you’ve posted your response with a quote, click on the swishy arrow in the upper right corner of the quote in your response, which brings you back to that original post to which you just responded.

*delighted gasp*  It worked!!!!  Thank you!!!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Slache said:

I taught John to get me coffee. 

This is a great way to deal with laundry. 

I CAN GO TO THE HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE THIS YEAR! 

Are you Whole30ing?

To show the superiority of ITT.

I don't know. He's like eight.

Not Whole30ing.  I had just picked one up from the grocery store the day before and didn't get it eaten the same day, so I ate it for breakfast the next morning.  It made a wonderful breakfast prior to running Dad to a medical appointment.  I want more.

Much to my dismay I have to severely limit my intake of cruciferous veggies now.  DH figured out my bouts of GI distress were from eating more than a normal kid-sized serving of such veggies at a time.    Wah.  I like cruciferous veggies!

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I need some of that stuff Prairie has for boy funk. 

The turtles have finished their school, and headed for the creek. Now I can edit in peace and quiet until they return.

I have taken to adding OxyClean to the soap when doing Dad's laundry.  It helps, as does doing his laundry as soon as I get it home.  I have also been making him turn over ANY clothing he has worn between my visits.  I even made him change pants yesterday morning, because he was re-wearing trousers.

• Like 2

Busy day building up here. There's school, but I also want to get this first chapter edited (again), I need to write 1000 words, write up three critiques and get them sent, clean the kitchen, and I have writers' meeting. The boys have to go with me tonight. They are less than thrilled. I believe they were all for staying home and doing nothing--which I admit is sounding pretty good right now...

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

Tuesday!!?

Today is going to be too busy....

this morning is my last time being Study Hall lady at the mom’s group at church. It’s not a norrible thing, it’s not even a bad thing.... I just don’t want to do it.

the girls have tumbling and I have to take DS1 to tutoring late in the afternoon for a couple of hours. It’s in a city south of us... not The Big City, which is north. It’s a nice city, and I can run errands if I need to, he’s going to be there for 2 hours, but...I just want to be home.

and this is a whiny, “I Want to be Home” Booya/h!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AMJ said:

I can't speak to Midland specifically (not familiar with it), but cost of living is certainly better in Texas than many other states, pay is a bit better, and homeschooling pretty much just requires you cover a certain 5 subjects.  And you will be closer to a lot of us!  And there's no state income tax.  Much as I loved Colorado and Minnesota, we are much better off here.

SE Texas has high heat, high humidity, and mosquitoes galore, and seldom ever gets any snow at all.  Northcentral Texas (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) gets some pretty impressive plains storms and gets some snow most winters, but not a lot.  The Hill Country gets some relief from the heat at times and is really pretty, so it gets a lot of tourists.  It also has a lot of cedar, which I am apparently allergic to.  Anyplace one might want to live has its challenges, so shop around and pick.  Former work acquaintances who had lived in Midland didn't seem to mind it.

I hope whatever you folks decide your DH manages to get a good job that meets the family's needs and he can be satisfied with.

DH is eying Midland because it apparently has a lot of engineering jobs, per capita. And low humidity. Because he thinks humidity is the worst thing that can ever be about a place. Whatever. I keep telling him most places are More humid that we are because they get rain and we have the good fortune to be living in an irrigated desert.

I don’t know.... we’ll probably end up staying put because of family and roots and all that.  There’s going to have to be something to force the issue, like DH losing his job... but we live in the same small town my grandparents moved to when they came out from Colorado as newlyweds, we go to the same church, people in our SundaynSchool class are people I grew up with, the camp my kids go to is the same one my Grandfather helped start, DS goes to the same Christian high school my parents did and I did and all my aunts, uncles and cousins did... and now with my dad’s poor health and i’m The only one around for my mom..... it’s just really, really hard to decide to pick up and move to someplace where we don’t know anyone and have no support system.

• Like 4

In case y'all are looking for a book of campfire songs with ukulele chords, google "The Incredibly Big Little Book of Scouting and Campfire Songs"  - print it out double sided and fold in half and you've got an awesome little book that fits in your ukulele case.

#exactlywhatyouwerelookingfor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The councilwoman that I am meeting with today is the one who told me (many years ago) that I could only homeschool under the direct supervision of the local schools. I set her straight in no uncertain terms. I wonder if she remembers that?  

I'm going to need an update. Bossy McBossypants.

I got into a fight (sort of...) with my mom. I'm still pissed off.

• Like 2