Menu

Ignore this thread!

The baby tv show (yes, bad mom) is teaching about colors. Red+blue=purple; yellow+blue=green, red+yellow=orange....all normal, and then red+green=brown! That's a new one for me! I Is that a thing? I feel like dragging out the crayons to try. I mean, I'm pretty sure red and green would make some kind of nasty brown, but unlike red+blue=purple, I think I could get brown in other ways too. Maybe I could do purple and orange, right?

A public school teacher that used to go to our church stopped by service for a visit. She knows I homeschool and asked how I know to do all of the age appropriate things like color mixing and sorting. I said I don't do those things and she was (politely) mortified. It was hilarious. "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "We paint every Saturday." "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "They learn how while painting." "But how do they which color makes what?" :lol: It stressed her out something awful. She was equally upset when she found out I taught letter sounds instead of names when John was learning to read. He learned all the names somehow anyway. She also asked what reading level he was at and was blown away when I didn't know. I said he was reading E. B. White's books and she said that was 3rd grade level. Ok. Cool. She probably thinks I'm ruining my children. Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

Some coffee makers will start up when your fitbit says you've woken up. You can also have your lights flash when you meet your step goal. I don't remember all the things. It would involve actually buying all the things so it wasn't that important to me. My Garmin has buttons so I could actually press a button to start my coffee if I had the right coffee maker.

I would like one of those coffee makers. And also a mute button for my adorable children.

• Like 4

A public school teacher that used to go to our church stopped by service for a visit. She knows I homeschool and asked how I know to do all of the age appropriate things like color mixing and sorting. I said I don't do those things and she was (politely) mortified. It was hilarious. "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "We paint every Saturday." "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "They learn how while painting." "But how do they which color makes what?" :lol: It stressed her out something awful. She was equally upset when she found out I taught letter sounds instead of names when John was learning to read. He learned all the names somehow anyway. She also asked what reading level he was at and was blown away when I didn't know. I said he was reading E. B. White's books and she said that was 3rd grade level. Ok. Cool. She probably thinks I'm ruining my children.

You need to learn to say “yes, I am doing age appropriate things. “. You are teaching color mixing etc. - you’re just using a discovery method.

• Like 7

I'm thinking about ordering some fiction in Latin and in French for reading and translation practice this summer. I was also told that I have a book coming in on editing manuscripts. Library run this weekend means that I have to read through my stack and get to pick out more books on Saturday. The week is looking up.

I had two more funny spells last night and went to bed early because I was exhausted. So far nothing this morning.

• Like 2

Good morning. Baby hasn’t squeaked in her crate yet to let me know that she’s ready to get up. Also- baby is so big now that soon I won’t be able to pick her up to snuggle her. She’s doing what I told my human babies not to do- she’s growing big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

You need to learn to say “yes, I am doing age appropriate things. “. You are teaching color mixing etc. - you’re just using a discovery method.

She said color sorting and mixing. I have never done any kind of color sorting. I've only recently learned that that was a thing. She's asked me before about all kinds of things we've never done so there's really no way around it with her. She was polite but I know she gets more and more upset about John's education as time goes by. I haven't said anything about going for walks or Japanese because anything not in the books is just wrong to her.
  • Like 3

She said color sorting and mixing. I have never done any kind of color sorting. I've only recently learned that that was a thing. She's asked me before about all kinds of things we've never done so there's really no way around it with her. She was polite but I know she gets more and more upset about John's education as time goes by. I haven't said anything about going for walks or Japanese because anything not in the books is just wrong to her.

Public school teachers get very defensive about anything that is .... well, just anything. Blow her off.
  • Like 7

A public school teacher that used to go to our church stopped by service for a visit. She knows I homeschool and asked how I know to do all of the age appropriate things like color mixing and sorting. I said I don't do those things and she was (politely) mortified. It was hilarious. "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "We paint every Saturday." "But how do they know how to mix colors?" "They learn how while painting." "But how do they which color makes what?" :lol: It stressed her out something awful. She was equally upset when she found out I taught letter sounds instead of names when John was learning to read. He learned all the names somehow anyway. She also asked what reading level he was at and was blown away when I didn't know. I said he was reading E. B. White's books and she said that was 3rd grade level. Ok. Cool. She probably thinks I'm ruining my children.

Because she couldn't figure out red + yellow = orange without memorizing it, so she thinks your family is the same.

It is hard to watch.

• Like 7

Interesting.

I thought that she should learn to say, "Butt out."

Mine is a nicer way of saying "butt out".  Just reassure her that things are being taken care of - don't give details because she won't understand them.  But don't engage on her terms because you won't win - unless you are playing entirely by her playbook.  Just my way of doing it.  You can always use the bazooka.  ;) 

• Like 6

1550 days until we're debt free.

My mission for today is to figure out how to convert this toddler bed frame into a twin size before his new mattress shows up.

And hopefully have enough time to run to the AFSA and let him pick out new sheets.

Zippy sack!

• Like 5

I think I'm going to revise my housekeeping schedule. I've got the kitchen and dining area scheduled on Tuesday. Currently, I'm trying to teach school, do agent research, write and prepare for the writers' meeting on Tuesdays. I think I'm going to move things around today--and clean my living room and hallway on Tuesday and do the kitchen stuff on Wednesday.

• Like 1

The new mattress is here. The frame is not together yet. I think I'm missing parts. I'm not sure if we lost the parts ourselves or if we never had them as the bed was secondhand.

Time to run to AFSA and try to figure something out.

Been there and done that.  :grouphug: I was just thinking today as I went through the front room cleaning--everything in there with the exception one chair came second hand or had to be "fixed" in order to work in the room. I guess I'm rather proud of that environmental statement, but sometimes I wish it wasn't necessary. :laugh:

Trying to deal with an anxious young man over all the medical and insurance forms for the accident.  Trying with the other ear to listen to my dd who is rambling on about something or other. . .  (I obviously tuned her out in the end).  All while the cat  hides in the cabinet and growls and hisses at the puppy who just wants to play.  

But a half an hour later. . . forms are filled out, agent has been called with questions, copies have been made and everything is ready to be sent out to the right people.  Dd is doing her school.  The puppy is asleep on my feet and the cat has stalked off haughtily. 

• Like 5

Well, my son is growing prickly pears, and if we added a couple of paw-paws...and that reminds me to check on whether my mulberry trees and passion fruit vines have come in yet.

I want to try passion fruit.

I've got one prickly pear.

I've been attempting to grow pawpaws for a few years now but they grow very slowly.

Have you tried hardy kiwi? That's another that I've been trying to get established for a few years.

• Like 1

I want to try passion fruit.

I've got one prickly pear.

I've been attempting to grow pawpaws for a few years now but they grow very slowly.

Have you tried hardy kiwi? That's another that I've been trying to get established for a few years.

Not yet, but I want two. I even have a spot on the back of the house where I want to train them.

I've pretty much run out of room to plant trees.

Don't know what I will do about the tree planting urge that has definitely not been satiated.

I had DS take shrubs out of the back corner of the back yard so I can plant some citrus. Definitely a lemon and perhaps a mandarin orange. I want to plant some blueberries in whiskey barrels, too.
  • Like 2

There are pins in my Pinterest feed to help me learn Japanese *in Spanish*. I am no longer qualified for Pinterest.

If you do that enough you'll eventually forget that you're trying to learn an your nth language through your xth language. Like, it typically doesn't even cross my mind that I could try to learn a foreign language through my native language. And when I lived in Thailand I bought a book in Thai on how to learn Chinese (I did some of that book, but did not finish it).

• Like 3

HIM'S SO SAD! We took the bottle on Friday and Matt puts them down at night and did for naps this weekend. Awix thought for sure *I* was going to give him a bottle at nap time. When I didn't he just clung to me saying "Bow! Bow! Mama bow!" :crying:

:grouphug:

I'm taking over rooster catching morning and evening for a while. He's not as worked up today, but he's still more agitated than he should be. He's evidently very nervous about any of the hens being out of the house without him, and he spends all his time watching the sky for hawks. We have a wire top on the pen, but he's not satisfied. I think I'll try a cloth mesh over part of it so that he feels more secure and see if that improves his temper.

• Like 2