Menu

Ignore this thread!

I was taught NOT using Oxford comma. Then in college, to use it. But then, when I was teaching dc (don't remember which curriculum) we ran across the saying "when in doubt, leave it out."

So, I still question myself.

When in doubt, leave it IN. The Oxford comma is for clarity, it does nobody harm except maybe people who pay by the line. If you aren't sure if the content is crystal clear without it, then leave it in. And read Eats, Shoots & Leaves. 

• Like 6

We're having leftovers.

Ds17's high school sports banquet is tonight.  I'm feeding him ahead of time because when I called today to find out what the menu is I was told "light desserts."    :huh:

Apparently the word "banquet" does not always mean "meal".   :blink:

• Like 5

Yes, feeding boys is a full-time job.

One of the reasons we have a garage fridge is so that I can buy eggs 10 dozen at a time. Ds currently eats about a dozen a day in between his meals and other snacks. Eggs are cheaper than cashews.... He tends towards hypoglycemia so I can’t feed him rice, beans, and potatoes like I did his brother. If the trend holds, he should be 8†taller by Christmas.

I have a mini-trampoline in the back of my van for youngest to jump on while we wait between pickups and drop offs today. #winning #carschooling #toowetatthepark

• Like 7

I also keep a big basket of apples out at all times. The boys probably eat two apples a day in addition to scrounging every two hours. That's on top of eating three meals a day. It's like caterpillars.

For real.  If he is awake, he is eating.  He is a long, lanky colt right now.....we have to crank in the adjustable waistband on his trousers ALL of the way.  

• Like 2

Older ds has tapered off a bit. He only had 8 slices of pizza last night (Costco slices, people) for supper. I don't normally let him have free rein on pizza like that, but I was busy.  He wears 28x32 trousers....I think he is growing again, though, as he's been eating more.  He's probably got a few inches left in him to go.  He is getting broader through the chest and filling out a bit more, looking less like a lanky colt.

For real--our grocery list (weekly):

10 dozen eggs

10# chicken

6# beef

9# bananas

10# potatoes

10# sweet potatoes

10# apples

4-6 loaves of bread

5# rice

5# beans

and so on.

I go through a liter of olive oil a month because I try to drench their food in it to help them get some good fats in....they aren't so fond of cheese or other dairy fat and they won't eat avocados.  

Susan, Krissi, and the rest---is it like that at your house too?

• Like 2

We're having leftovers.

Ds17's high school sports banquet is tonight. I'm feeding him ahead of time because when I called today to find out what the menu is I was told "light desserts." :huh:

Apparently the word "banquet" does not always mean "meal". :blink:

Good thing you called. I would've assumed a dinner would be served, and then my entire family would die to death before I found food.

• Like 7

Older ds has tapered off a bit. He only had 8 slices of pizza last night (Costco slices, people) for supper. I don't normally let him have free rein on pizza like that, but I was busy. He wears 28x32 trousers....I think he is growing again, though, as he's been eating more. He's probably got a few inches left in him to go. He is getting broader through the chest and filling out a bit more, looking less like a lanky colt.

10 dozen eggs

10# chicken

6# beef

9# bananas

10# potatoes

10# sweet potatoes

10# apples

4-6 loaves of bread

5# rice

5# beans

and so on.

I go through a liter of olive oil a month because I try to drench their food in it to help them get some good fats in....they aren't so fond of cheese or other dairy fat and they won't eat avocados.

Honestly, I don’t know what is wrong with my boys. They don’t eat much.
  • Like 3

Are you stressed out, Jean, or sleep deprived? That, or being on the edge of catching a bug are the three things that make me volatile. It’s an awful feeling—sorry your sugars are whacked.

I have been stressed out but was doing a lot better today.  Ditto on sleep!  I thought that my blood pressure was high because I was feeling like someone was choking me - which is how I feel when I have high blood pressure.  But my bp was stellar.  Then I checked my bloodsugar and it was really high.  Could be a bug or it could be that I let up a bit on how well I was monitoring it.   Back to testing five times a day,  I think. 

(((Critter)))—-chocolate and pizza seems like a good way to spend a Friday.

If this is your first book, have you thought about self-publishing on amazon? My MIL had an agent for her first book, but it was a print on demand kind of run, I think.

Right now I'm really focused on finding an agent. If anything, the process will give me a better idea of whether my writing is interesting enough to get some attention. And the more I write, the better I will write. Eventually, with enough persistence and hard work, I think I can get there.

• Like 4

But--I am going to save up for professional editing at some point. Whether I get an agent or not, I want a good editor that I work with, who knows my style and who I can trust to see me through big issue edits to proofreading nitpicks. I'm looking around and scoping out prospects.

• Like 1

We came home with five chicks.

They have food and water and a heat lamp.

And I don't have any idea what I am doing.

Library time. 

Be sure they stay warm but can get away from the light if it gets too hot. 

Check their little vent areas to make sure they stay clean. Chicks can get sick in a hurry if they get stopped up.

• Like 1

They would LOVE brothers. They all want me to have like 4 more kids.

Oldest DD wants me to be on the look out for an older sister to adopt for her. She wants an older sister. This is the mind-set of adopted children.... collecting family members is normal. You find someone you like and then adopt them. TBH, I am not opposed to that. But the house is too small.
  • Like 9

Nope. But then, I only have 2 boys and one of them is at the university and was never a big eater. I wish he was a big eater because he could stand to gain 20+ pounds. My girls eat pretty normal, though dd11 is going through a spurt. She'll eat THREE eggs for breakfast. :D

I am so down tonight. Querying is bad for the health, let me tell you. 

#notenoughchocolate

(((Critter)))

We came home with five chicks.

They have food and water and a heat lamp.

And I don't have any idea what I am doing.

Check for pasty butt (poop drying on and clogging their butts) - clean their rears with squirts of warm water and you can apply Vaseline with a q-tip if needed. That's all I remember from 10 years ago when we first got our baby chicks.

#isaidbutt

• Like 3

We are done spreading the luck of the Irish for today. Despite spending hours in the car, ds did not nap. He is probably part pooka. I haven’t screamed like a banshee(yet). Well, maybe just a tiny bit when he poured a water bottle on my coat. My car looks like someone held a wake with gummy snacks instead of Guinness and whiskey. Irish eyes are tired and want to go to bed. 🇮🇪 ðŸ€. Tooralooraloora it’s an Irish whinypo!

Sorry, but this made me laugh so much! Gummy bear wake. :D So glad you survived the day!

• Like 1

Oldest DD wants me to be on the look out for an older sister to adopt for her. She wants an older sister. This is the mind-set of adopted children.... collecting family members is normal. You find someone you like and then adopt them. TBH, I am not opposed to that. But the house is too small.

:001_wub:

Older ds has tapered off a bit. He only had 8 slices of pizza last night (Costco slices, people) for supper. I don't normally let him have free rein on pizza like that, but I was busy.  He wears 28x32 trousers....I think he is growing again, though, as he's been eating more.  He's probably got a few inches left in him to go.  He is getting broader through the chest and filling out a bit more, looking less like a lanky colt.

10 dozen eggs

10# chicken

6# beef

9# bananas

10# potatoes

10# sweet potatoes

10# apples

4-6 loaves of bread

5# rice

5# beans

and so on.

:svengo:  :svengo:  :svengo:

How many mouths are you feeding?

• Like 1

I have finally repotted the lemon tree and put it outdoors for the season. Might have to cover it once in a while. One of my strawberry plants has black around it's leaves. I sprayed it with some organic plant-disease spray. We'll see if it lives.

I am going to a sort of historic food/heath/cooking class tomorrow and will be learning how to make home-made organic root beer from scratch. It sounds both wonderful and terrifying at the same time. 😬 Dh and ds13 are going on an overnight backpacking trip, so I have stocked up on ice cream for us girls at home.

• Like 6