Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning! It's Friday!

Spudz, it could be time for the comfy chair! (Because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5nFfWIqhQ

We have all slept in. I hear some stirring out there. Dh left for work a while ago.

I think we are going to cover the last chapter of SOTW today and finish up history for the year. Except for reading Masada - we are only halfway through but are enjoying it a lot so we'll continue with that. Ds13 surprisingly finished his English book this week (R&S 6) and took the final test yesterday. ðŸ‘

Coffee!

• Like 4

Looks like algebra to me...I see variables, square roots, squares, fractions, pi. Here’s one answer: “From Coulomb’s law, F=k(q1q2/d squared)= (9x10 to the ninth)((1.0x10 to the negative sixth)squared))/(0.03)squared= 10N. This is the same as the weight of a 1-kg mass.â€

Sorry, I don’t know how to make it look nice.

Honestly, I don’t even remember what that means anymore. Assuming I ever learned, which I might not have bc I only did bio in high school, so the last time I had physical science was 8th grade. I’m going to have to pass off the mathier sections to dh. But I can’t imagine saying there’s no math. Maybe “simple†enough a mathy kid and mom could do it without having taken a whole year of algebra previously?

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I thought. Mind if I quote you on the other thread (on the Logic Stage forum, about the difference between physical science & physics)?

• Like 1

Goodnight from the East Coast, ITT!

Here's to another year of friendship, fellowship, ramblings, booyahs, and COFFEE!

:cheers2:

ETA: oxford comma. Because we have standards to uphold around here, people.

My DD(10)’s teacher takes off points for the Oxford comma! The horror!! I told DD to leave it out for this teacher but she’s wrong, it’s necessary, and to always use it in the future unless she has a wrong teacher again. Then we read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Friday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

My Anxiety Closet was in full working order last night. I had dreams about DS’s trampoline place bd party tomorrow. TBH, they weren’t bad dreams, but they were there.

• Like 3

My DD(10)’s teacher takes off points for the Oxford comma! The horror!! I told DD to leave it out for this teacher but she’s wrong, it’s necessary, and to always use it in the future unless she has a wrong teacher again. Then we read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

You’re a good Mom!! I can’t believe a teacher would penalize them, though. That is wrong, unnecessary, and arbitrary.
  • Like 4

Physical science covers matter, carbon chemistry, motion/force/energy, sound/light/waves, and electricity and magnetism.

I no longer have Hewitt’s conceptual physics, but there are a ton of online indices and tables of contents out there. It is conceptual and has very light math.

Ds is in Derek Owen’s physics class this year and it is very much algebra based...and parts of it are solidly algebra II level equations. It mentions briefly the concept, but is very heavy on the calculation.

:svengo:

There's a writing contest coming up in April. One of the questions I have to answer with my submission is whether I am pro-Oxford comma or anti-Oxford comma. 

I am anti. :leaving:

I do have my reasons.

• Like 5

Ok, yes, don’t be a complete idiot like I am and buy a second edition workbook and a fourth edition text. :svengo:

:grouphug:  I really, really, really appreciate all the help you're giving me though!

At least you still have time to find a matching edition. 

And yes, Prairie, it's easy to find table of contents and indices, but those don't really tell you how much math is used. I don't want/need an Alg 2 based physical science; I just would rather not have a math-free physical science. It's for 6th grade... Alg 1 as a co-req kind of thing, tops.

Edited by luuknam

That's the problem with these forums... some people will make things sound like they're really easy and light or possibly even "math-free", and then other people are like "noooo, it's hard, look at all these equations!". I still have no clue if the book will be great for Celery for 6th grade, or if I'm being delusional and we'll have to shelve it till 7th or 8th (I have a strong suspicion that when certain posters say it's easy, light, and math-free, they might be underestimating the difficulty level a bit (like, a few grade levels)).

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I'm bothered that any teacher would dock points for use of what is grammatically correct. It a comma is needed for clarity, use it. If not, don't.

ETA: In short, I view the Oxford comma as grammar convention, and the omission as a style choice. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

The math wasn’t the hang-up, it was the depth of understanding outside of actually doing experiments. He needed more hands on concepts at that point. What I like about Prentice Hall science explorer is:

1. Cheap, especially used on amazon

2. The student experiment pages

3. Cheap workbooks (doesn’t require an answer key,imo) for those who want to write or do more to stay busy.

I think it would be a better fit. I think conceptual physics is great for those who aren’t ever going to get the math of physics or for whom they need to do it in 9th grade before they have had algebra 2.

• Like 1

Hey smart gardening gardeners,

If someone who knew absolutely nothing about plants and had a habit of killing any that came near wanted to grow peppermint and rosemary, what advice would you give her?

Plant the peppermint in the shade, and the rosemary in the sun. The peppermint won't care if it has wet feet from time to time. The rosemary will care--a lot. Best to put something in the soil with it to improve drainage and avoid heavy clay soil.

Is celery gifted?

2E, I think. He's great at math, he reads non-fiction well above grade level, tested into CTY's gifted program (not that we ever used any of their stuff), barely meeting the verbal cut-off but almost meeting the award ceremony level for quantitative, but, he struggles with things related to his ASD, isn't great with motor skills, writing, speaking (talks a lot now though, just still struggling a bit with intelligibility and with what background knowledge the listener may or may not have), understanding fiction, etc. 

I decided that I'm done contemplating Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science - I doubt thinking about it any more will do any good, so I caved and put the book, the practice book, and for good measure the lab manual (all of the 5th edition... it's unclear to me whether there's any point in the lab manual, but it was only like $8 including shipping and I'm just done thinking about it all) into my shopping cart and hit check out ($32 for all of the above total incl. shipping). Like I said, I could just have it sit on my shelf till 7th or 8th grade. I also think there's a good chance we'll just take 1.5 or 2 years to get through it (rather than just having it sit on the shelf). We'll see. 

• Like 3

I think it would be a better fit. I think conceptual physics is great for those who aren’t ever going to get the math of physics or for whom they need to do it in 9th grade before they have had algebra 2.

Physical Science, not physics. We might or might not do an algebra-based physics at some point, or we might just jump into a calculus-based physics. That's still too far off for me to contemplate at the moment. To keep university admissions to any major in NL open, he'll need to take AP Calc BC, AP Physics C (apparently there are two of those, electromagnetics and mechanics?), AP Chem, and AP Bio, so, realistically, he'll be taking those 5 APs at some point in the future. What I do not intend to do is a conceptual physics course though... either a good high school level algebra-based physics (including a bit of trig) and then AP Physics C, or just plain AP Physics C. Since Alg 1 is in 6th grade, Geometry would be in 7th, Alg 2 in 8th, so Precalc in 9th, so presumably I won't have to worry about AP Physics C until at least 10th grade, I'd imagine. 

ETA: well, technically I should probably worry about what he takes in 10th grade while he's in 9th grade, but, I just don't think he'd be taking calculus-based physics before 10th grade (unless, of course, he repeats 8th grade for maturity etc reasons, in which case he could potentially take it in 9th grade... but that would still be just as long from now).

Edited by luuknam

And while I'm rambling on, the above obviously also depends on whether I think I can pull off calculus-based physics with calculus as a co-req or whether it needs to be a pre-req. Again though, way too soon for me to worry about. I guess the only thing I wonder about is if I should make sure he does all those 5 by the end of 11th grade, so he can take the exam again in 12th if he fails something. I think they give you only one chance per year for the APs, right? In NL, the high school final exams have two chances per year, one in April or so, and one a month or so later. 

Yay, Ducky!

Dh is taking ds out camping and mountain biking with friends this weekend...and just told me that ds needs to plan meals and pack...which means I will be helping him do those things as ds has not had enough experience to pack for heavy rain in the 40F temperature range. My Friday just got crazy.

:scared:   

May I suggest spaghettios?  

Well, at least you'll have a quiet weekend once they are off.   :thumbup1:

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I'm bothered that any teacher would dock points for use of what is grammatically correct. It a comma is needed for clarity, use it. If not, don't.

ETA: In short, I view the Oxford comma as grammar convention, and the omission as a style choice.

I love the Oxford comma. But I view the controversy as petty, silly, and a complete waste of time. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

There's a writing contest coming up in April. One of the questions I have to answer with my submission is whether I am pro-Oxford comma or anti-Oxford comma. 

I am anti. :leaving:

I do have my reasons.

:mellow:

What Junie said.

It's OK. We still love you! â£

The sad thing is that I was trained with the Oxford comma. I forget that I'm anti-comma from time to time and leave it in. 

No. That's the Truth, yearning to be set free.

• Like 6

Happy Friday!

All-day van repair was done by 8am!

All-morning schoolwork was done by 10:30am!

And the whole house is clean because I finally broke down and got a robo-vac!

LET THE COFFEE CELEBRATION BEGIN.

Woohoo!! Now that’s my kind of celebration!!

And congratulations on an extraordinarily productive morning!!

• Like 2

Plant the peppermint in the shade, and the rosemary in the sun. The peppermint won't care if it has wet feet from time to time. The rosemary will care--a lot. Best to put something in the soil with it to improve drainage and avoid heavy clay soil.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Good morning.  I was feeling uninspired so I googled "morning quotes" to inspire me.  The first one I read:  "I opened two gifts this morning. They were my eyes."  Now I have the giggles.  Do people really find that sort of thing inspiring?  (Sorry, if you do.  It just seemed a bit absurd to me but then I tend towards the sarcastic side of things.) 

• Like 7

Antibodies are good. Is a reverse t3 the same thing as a free t3?

No. You want reverse T3 and free T3 so you can compare the ratio. A high reverse T3 and a free T3 within normal but on the low side would be bad. That's what I had and it took me forever to find a doctor to look at it and give me something. 

• Like 2