Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dad has been doing well - he's dressing himself, bathing himself, and he walked the parallel bars by himself 2x yesterday! 

Another crazy God story - 
Mom desperately needed a new car and she wanted a van. She found a van she wanted and was going to take my brother-in-law with her to buy it.However, she kept waking up over the weekend with the feeling that she needed to be there first thing on Monday morning and ask to speak to the manager. 

This is her update on FB: 

I am on the leg of the journey knowing I need to make adjustments in preparation for Chuck coming home. Chuck has owned a truck for the past several years because we like trucks and they were so useful in our activities. I knew he would not be able to climb in the truck so I needed to find transportation suitable for our needs. Again, I have never purchased a vehicle as Chuck always took care of it. It wasn’t he didn’t include me, I was just never interested and it was just fine he took care of automobile decisions. I began to pray, think, rethink, and looking. How did I go about this and make the right decisions? I had wonderful men to counsel me and offer to go with me. I woke up several times during the night Friday evening. Each time with the thought of going in and speaking with the upper management and laying out my situation. Whew!! I took the bold step and went in first thing this morning and asked to speak with upper management. I laid out my situation and told him he had a vehicle that would meet my needs and was hoping he could guide me and make it happen. He instantly told me by the end of the day, I would be driving the vehicle home. The dealership took care of everything and I drove the car home with lower payments and lower interest than the truck. I have a 2016 Town and Country which is loaded with everything and very low mileage. It has leather captain seats in front and back and brand new Michelin tires. The manager and finance manager were so moved by the ministry we are involved in and they they made it happen. Both of them said it felt good to have the opportunity to do something they felt the Lord would be pleased with. Again, the Lord went before me, knowing my needs and providing above and beyond!

The manage initially thought she was there to complain because that's what usually happens on Monday mornings. Mom told him the story and asked for his help. He said "Do you have a job?" "Yes, I work for _____________" (it's a church/school). 
"How long have you worked there?" "This is my 40th year." "Oh, wow!"
"May I ask - what was your husband doing when he fell?" Mom told him he was de-icing the parking lot before church. 
The manager said "It is a beautiful thing to find someone who has devoted 40 years to the ministry and to have a husband who is willing to go out in the cold and ice to make the parking lot safe for his brethren. You came here for a reason and I am honored to be able to help you today."

She mentioned the van to the manager and he said "Why do you want this van?" "Umm, well, it has low miles, it's a van, and it has leather seats." 
The manager blinked and said "Those are the only reasons why you want this van?" "Yes" He then proceeded to tell her all the things this van has...it is full loaded with DVD player, heated seats, key start, etc. Stuff Mom didn't notice and honestly doesn't care about! lol He then pulled up the paperwork and said "Wow - look at this! It was due for a discount today" and then he proceeded to mark it down for $38K to....wait for it....$21K!!! That is UNHEARD OF! 

He did tell her that he had 2 other cars that he would like her to look at and drive, just to give her options and to see if she would rather have one of them, BUT, if she wanted this particular van, then it would be hers and they would do everything they could to get her in it. 

They started on the paperwork and the payment was going to be 10cents less than their current truck payment. Mom was fine with that - we knew she would still have a payment, but the same or less was what we needed. Mom had to leave for an appointment at the therapy center and then went back later that afternoon to finish the paperwork. During that time, they had managed to knock off even more and their payments are $25 less than before. Granted, $25/mo isn't huge, but the heart behind it is overwhelming. 

They had mom wait while they moved everything out of her truck and into the new car and they changed her license plate for her. 
I know some won't agree, but it was totally a God-thing for the first person she sees to be the manager, for him to be a Christian, and for him to be moved by her story, and then to knock $17,000 off a car. UNREAL! 
Also, she wanted to know if we thought she did a good job.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: No - awful job, Mom. *sarcasm*

**My feminist side is super proud of Mom for buying her first car! She got married at 18 and Dad has just always taken care of her. She's never done something like this on her own. She just hasn't cared. She's seeing now how debilitating it can be to not know how to do these things (taxes, buying cars, etc). She's making sure my sister and I are VERY involved in bills and things to avoid this type of situation in the future. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 12

Being able to laugh at oneself can have unexpected advantages.  I remarked to DD13 that she is the only one I ever knew who swished her Tylenol before swallowing it.  She laughingly explained about mouth hardware and needing to position the pills, and took a sip just as I talked about how amusing it was to watch her cheeks go in and out in that swishy way.  She covered her (full) mouth as more giggles hit, and I remarked upon noticing that I was nearly the recipient of a spit-take.  More laughing ensued.

Spit-take happened.   :laugh:

• Like 8

:hurray: Great story, Mary! So glad she got exactly what she needed. Sounds like your father is doing so well she may need that van sooner than she thought.

Yes, he is excelling physically. However, his cognitive deficit is still pretty big. Things like seeing a picture of a truck or hammer, things he's used almost every day of years, he can't recall the words for them. I know it'll come with time, but he needs more cognitive therapy.

I have a feeling he will be moving to the neurotherapy facility - Timber Ridge in Benton, AR. It looks beautiful and apparently has a wait list because it's so good. 

The therapists were mentioning it to Mom as a possibility if insurance would pay; but before Mom could mention it to the insurance case worker, the case worker brought it up and said if the current location reaches their limits of assistance, then they would approve a transfer to TR. 

Wow, Mary, you make us cry!! But, I agree, God is good!

All the time. I admit, there are times at church when people are like "Look at all the ways God has blessed us" and I'm thinking "must be nice." Great attitude to have, I know. lol And I know that I see His provision in many little ways each day, but never something as huge as this. It's humbling. 

• Like 6

(((jean and MIL)))

And what a beautiful story of God's provision, Mary!  

We are all home today in the snow, but we still have power (Yay!) so we are doing school.   Ds10 (our future itinerant preacher) is composing a new praise and worship song for piano entitled "Nebuchadnezzar."  

He's performing for dh right now, singing: 

"I just keep grazin' in the field,

I keep grazin' in the field;

'til I finally stand up and say, 

I'm a man

I'm a man and 

I'm not God!"

:laugh:

• Like 6

ETA: This is a writerly Whine-Po

So today I'm puttering around the lake, looking for agents to hook with my query and I find THE PERFECT AGENT! Wishlist is tailor made for me and my novel. I get all set to start working out the details of what he wants to see in the query, synopsis and so forth.

Then...

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

He's in the UK. Most of them won't look at a US author because US authors are better served by US agents.

:sad: There's no rule saying I can't query, but it won't come to anything. Almost bawling right now because this is the second time in the last two weeks that I've wanted a UK agent. The first time was a wonderful fantasy book I read that was so well-done that I checked out both author and agent. Yep. Both in the UK.

Sigh.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

And, hey, I had a dream last night, too!  

I was at SWB's farm (a whole bunch of other people were there too... maybe a meet-up? I don't know).  But Jean had put in a good word for me, so SWB was graciously chatting with me and then gave me autographed bottles of lotion.  :huh:

I thanked her and in return remembered that I'd promised to buy her a coke.  So I gave her a coke, with a bow on it. 

Then ds3 came waddling into the bedroom and I woke up. 

:lol:

• Like 9

ETA: This is a writerly Whine-Po

So today I'm puttering around the lake, looking for agents to hook with my query and I find THE PERFECT AGENT! Wishlist is tailor made for me and my novel. I get all set to start working out the details of what he wants to see in the query, synopsis and so forth.

Then...

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

He's in the UK. Most of them won't look at a US author because US authors are better served by US agents.

:sad: There's no rule saying I can't query, but it won't come to anything. Almost bawling right now because this is the second time in the last two weeks that I've wanted a UK agent. The first time was a wonderful fantasy book I read that was so well-done that I checked out both author and agent. Yep. Both in the UK.

Sigh.

Try anyway, Critter.  You will have zero chance if you don't try.  And a little chance is still a little. 

• Like 10

I was at SWB's farm (a whole bunch of other people were there too... maybe a meet-up? I don't know).  But Jean had put in a good word for me, so SWB was graciously chatting with me and then gave me autographed bottles of lotion.  :huh:

I thanked her and in return remembered that I'd promised to buy her a coke.  So I gave her a coke, with a bow on it. 

I told her you needed lotion.

• Like 5

Try anyway, Critter.  You will have zero chance if you don't try.  And a little chance is still a little. 

I probably will just because it will be so much fun to write a letter to an agent that actually might really like my book. That sounds really whiny, and it probably is. I've spent much of this morning researching agents and wondering if I'll ever find "the one."

• Like 4

Dad has been doing well - he's dressing himself, bathing himself, and he walked the parallel bars by himself 2x yesterday! 

Another crazy God story - 

Mom desperately needed a new car and she wanted a van. She found a van she wanted and was going to take my brother-in-law with her to buy it.However, she kept waking up over the weekend with the feeling that she needed to be there first thing on Monday morning and ask to speak to the manager. 

This is her update on FB: 

The manage initially thought she was there to complain because that's what usually happens on Monday mornings. Mom told him the story and asked for his help. He said "Do you have a job?" "Yes, I work for _____________" (it's a church/school). 

"How long have you worked there?" "This is my 40th year." "Oh, wow!"

"May I ask - what was your husband doing when he fell?" Mom told him he was de-icing the parking lot before church. 

The manager said "It is a beautiful thing to find someone who has devoted 40 years to the ministry and to have a husband who is willing to go out in the cold and ice to make the parking lot safe for his brethren. You came here for a reason and I am honored to be able to help you today."

She mentioned the van to the manager and he said "Why do you want this van?" "Umm, well, it has low miles, it's a van, and it has leather seats." 

The manager blinked and said "Those are the only reasons why you want this van?" "Yes" He then proceeded to tell her all the things this van has...it is full loaded with DVD player, heated seats, key start, etc. Stuff Mom didn't notice and honestly doesn't care about! lol He then pulled up the paperwork and said "Wow - look at this! It was due for a discount today" and then he proceeded to mark it down for $38K to....wait for it....$21K!!! That is UNHEARD OF! 

He did tell her that he had 2 other cars that he would like her to look at and drive, just to give her options and to see if she would rather have one of them, BUT, if she wanted this particular van, then it would be hers and they would do everything they could to get her in it. 

They started on the paperwork and the payment was going to be 10cents less than their current truck payment. Mom was fine with that - we knew she would still have a payment, but the same or less was what we needed. Mom had to leave for an appointment at the therapy center and then went back later that afternoon to finish the paperwork. During that time, they had managed to knock off even more and their payments are $25 less than before. Granted, $25/mo isn't huge, but the heart behind it is overwhelming. 

They had mom wait while they moved everything out of her truck and into the new car and they changed her license plate for her. 

I know some won't agree, but it was totally a God-thing for the first person she sees to be the manager, for him to be a Christian, and for him to be moved by her story, and then to knock $17,000 off a car. UNREAL! 

Also, she wanted to know if we thought she did a good job.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: No - awful job, Mom. *sarcasm*

**My feminist side is super proud of Mom for buying her first car! She got married at 18 and Dad has just always taken care of her. She's never done something like this on her own. She just hasn't cared. She's seeing now how debilitating it can be to not know how to do these things (taxes, buying cars, etc). She's making sure my sister and I are VERY involved in bills and things to avoid this type of situation in the future. 

This made me cry. I am so happy for your family, Mary!

• Like 3

I was at SWB's farm (a whole bunch of other people were there too... maybe a meet-up? I don't know). But Jean had put in a good word for me, so SWB was graciously chatting with me and then gave me autographed bottles of lotion. :huh:

I thanked her and in return remembered that I'd promised to buy her a coke. So I gave her a coke, with a bow on it.

:lol: love it!

• Like 1

Oh, and the last time I entered a contest and was looking for a mentor pick, top on my list? A British author.

What is wrong with me?

So if you buy a square foot of land in this estate in Scotland (I think), you actually become a citizen or something. Look it up. Could be a thing. Then all you need is a P.O. Box in the UK somewhere.

• Like 6

Doctor was extremely pleased. He even lowered one of my meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a rockstar!

It’s been a tough night. Lots of waking, pain etc. Then the phone rang at 6 am from the nursing home. Dh told me to let the answering machine get it because they usually call to notify us of nothing important . So I did. Then they rang again less than a minute later. I picked up that time. MIL has been taken to the hospital. But it must not be important because dh has rolled over to go back to sleep. I am going to try doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh... sometimes I really need men to be different than they are.

Another crazy God story - I know some won't agree, but it was totally a God-thing for the first person she sees to be the manager, for him to be a Christian, and for him to be moved by her story, and then to knock $17,000 off a car. UNREAL! 

If that's not a God thing what is a god thing? I'm so happy for your family. How gratifying to know that you aren't alone!

Oh, and the last time I entered a contest and was looking for a mentor pick, top on my list? A British author. 

What is wrong with me?

You are too classy for us over here on this side of the pond.

• Like 6

So if you buy a square foot of land in this estate in Scotland (I think), you actually become a citizen or something. Look it up. Could be a thing. Then all you need is a P.O. Box in the UK somewhere.

:laugh:

I just need to calm down about agents and let my US picks take a look first. I've had some interest. It's just a matter of finding the right one. I hope.

• Like 1

You know how doctors are having to chart right on the computer now?  Yesterday was the first time that my doctor had a dedicated "scribe" to do it all for him while he was able to direct his whole attention to the patient. 

My doctors in TX all had scribes. It was lovely.  It helped them get through their day quickly without having to chart into the evening, and I actually my doctor actually got to interact with me.

Sorry you had a rough night!

• Like 2

Finally got the other guy's insurance information for ds' accident.  Along with that was the officer's on scene report - the one where he asked the driver about what color the light was when he blasted through it.  The other guy said "what signal?"  I think that this clearly shows that ds (who was well aware that there was a signal and that he had a green arrow) was not at fault.  Which is what we've been praying for. 

• Like 11

In today's episode of "how to own a house and have no money", we had the HVAC guys and a couple of arborists out today.  During the servicing of the furnace, we discovered the capacitor was failing. Thankfully that was a $12 part, and he took care of it. 

I have two 4-story tall trees that need to come down because they are unstable. The first bid was for $3600.  :svengo:

In today's episode of "how to own a house and have no money", we had the HVAC guys and a couple of arborists out today.  During the servicing of the furnace, we discovered the capacitor was failing. Thankfully that was a $12 part, and he took care of it. 

I have two 4-story tall trees that need to come down because they are unstable. The first bid was for $3600.  :svengo:

:grouphug:  Joy. Been there with the trees thing.

• Like 1

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  

Never mind me. I always get like this before teaching a new class. Counting down: 1 hour, 20 minutes...

• Like 10

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  

Never mind me. I always get like this before teaching a new class. Counting down: 1 hour, 20 minutes...

You got this! 

• Like 3

Finally got the other guy's insurance information for ds' accident.  Along with that was the officer's on scene report - the one where he asked the driver about what color the light was when he blasted through it.  The other guy said "what signal?"  I think that this clearly shows that ds (who was well aware that there was a signal and that he had a green arrow) was not at fault.  Which is what we've been praying for. 

Quoting myself to say that I didn't know until now how much the stress of not knowing how the report would be written was weighing on my mind.  Things aren't resolved but it's moving in the right direction. 

• Like 7

Hugs and loves and cheers all around as needed.  

This has been a Mondayest Tuesday, but we are getting through it.  (Even the cat is grumpier than usual.)  We missed piano because some are sick.  We are missing TKD because one is sick.  We are getting more snow.  Soccer is canceled.   :willy_nilly:

• Like 5

Hugs and loves and cheers all around as needed.

This has been a Mondayest Tuesday, but we are getting through it. (Even the cat is grumpier than usual.) We missed piano because some are sick. We are missing TKD because one is sick. We are getting more snow. Soccer is canceled. :willy_nilly:

((Lynn)). We are having a pretty Mondayish Tuesday here, too.
  • Like 1

I don't know what to make for dinner tonight.  It can't have dairy.  Or gluten.  Or nightshades.  Sigh.  We had homemade gf pizza last night (with a choice of toppings, including no tomato sauce and no cheese).  We each had our own portion of the pizza with our own toppings. It was yummy. 

Meatballs & green salad?  

• Like 3

I have a new plan for improving my adulting skills. I broke down my step goal into hourly benchmarks, and set up Google calendar alerts ( that get pushed to my Fitbit). Every hour, if I'm not where I'm supposed to be, I take a break from what I'm doing and walk around cleaning until I reach my benchmark. Hopefully, this will help me reach my step goals and have a cleaner house.

• Like 10