Menu

Ignore this thread!

I would absolutely refuse to answer any questions about my preschooler and college. It is not a developmentally appropriate question and none of their damn business. (I might feel strongly about this...)

I agree, but we just didn't know how they would've reacted. I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to let the school know that yes, we have high hopes for our kid, so they better work hard to help make those come true. 

• Like 1

Reminds me of that study in which teachers were told some random average kids in their class were gifted, and then those kids would end up with better test scores etc, even though they really were just as average as the other kids. Which is of course rather unfair to the other kids, but, preconceptions matter.

• Like 3

We churched. I somehow have found myself in the position of having to undo something that the former pastor’s wife has done that has everyone upset. I tried to pass the buck on this but it wasn’t going away. Sigh. Time to put on my bulletproof underwear. (She’s really nice but I don’t want to hurt her feelings. And yes, she’s still at our church. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was done has everyone upset, or the undoing?

What - baby Awix? 🙄

She said all of her children were potty trained at 18 months. Alex will be 2 in June.

You've got time! College is many years away :D

My latest potty trained at age 5.5; I had started to think it would never happen...

:svengo:

If this is from MIL, maybe you should reconsider Louisiana.   :w00t:

It was *that* woman at church.

What's PTE?

Plan To Eat. My applicable recipes are tagged with fast, easy, Whole30, soup, casserole Crockpot/IP etc. This is why when an ITTer says "I need a fast recipe for ground beef" I give them 5 options.

I walked 2 miles, did a few weights, and a few belly exercises.

I did not.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to get grief about the fact that Alex isn't potty trained. Not yet about college though. I was asked if I was going to put John in school when we move.  :glare:

Isn't he just going on 2? And not for quite a few months yet, at that...

Neither of my girls were trained by 2. And Gymnast was pushing it taking her dear sweet time; I think she may have been almost three. I think I've blotted out that time...

• Like 3

She said all of her children were potty trained at 18 months. Alex will be 2 in June.

Plan To Eat. My applicable recipes are tagged with fast, easy, Whole30, soup, casserole Crockpot/IP etc. This is why when an ITTer says "I need a fast recipe for ground beef" I give them 5 options.

I did not.

You know better than to listen to “that womanâ€.

• Like 4

Reminds me of that study in which teachers were told some random average kids in their class were gifted, and then those kids would end up with better test scores etc, even though they really were just as average as the other kids. Which is of course rather unfair to the other kids, but, preconceptions matter.

I remember that study. It should be required reading for all teachers.

• Like 2

I remember that study. It should be required reading for all teachers.

Absolutely. 

Hey, did any of you see MD's proposed homeschooling bill thread out in the sea? Someone mentioned that she'd be okay with requiring people to submit a few letters of recommendation when filing to homeschool (not part of the proposed bill), and somehow I'm the only person so far to say no to that idea... kind of surprised. Would y'all be willing to submit a few letters of recommendation along with your letter of intent (also, no idea if she meant annually - here LOIs are annual, but I think in some states they're a one-time thing)?

No.

I’d rather not get into it here bc that’s one of the reasons I (try to) avoid the sea. ;)

I wouldn't either.

I saw the thread, didn't read her whole post, left it.

I know it's vogue right now on the forum to be skeptical of homeschooling, suspicious of neglect, and pro regulation, but I'm tired of it.

• Like 4

No.

I’d rather not get into it here bc that’s one of the reasons I (try to) avoid the sea. ;)

That's fine. I was just surprised no one else responded to that comment, especially since I hadn't seen that idea floated in any of the other threads yet (though I could easily have missed some of those threads). 

There have been so many jobs I haven't applied to because I have no clue who to get a letter of recommendation from that I have a visceral reaction to the concept of a letter of recommendation (though I completely get how they make sense from an employer's pov). Basically, the words "letter of recommendation" make me panic, even at times that I actually do have people I could ask, because it just brings back memories of feeling stuck and broke and poor with no way out.

• Like 1

I blame the public school system that made us answer the "what university do you want your entering preschooler to attend" question. I get that the intent is to make parents think of their kids as going to college some day, or to see whether parents have given up yet on their almost-nonverbal just-turned-3yo... we had to write down like 10 universities, so I wrote down something along the lines of MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, any university I'd attended myself (decent state schools), some Dutch universities, something along those lines. It was quite silly.

I'd be tempted to write something like ITT, Local County Community College, Beauty School.....not that there's anything wrong with any of those choices, but you know what they want you to write and I'd hate to give it to them!

• Like 5

Baby is nuts! He is 5months old this week and was sitting on my lap and really, really, really wanted his sister's papers that were out of reach. The next thing I know he is standing straight up and I have to catch him before he falls on his face! He wasn't even holding onto anything. I'm not ready for mobility and it's been a while, but I don't think 5month olds are supposed to be able to go from sitting to standing without help.  :svengo:

• Like 9

Absolutely.

Hey, did any of you see MD's proposed homeschooling bill thread out in the sea? Someone mentioned that she'd be okay with requiring people to submit a few letters of recommendation when filing to homeschool (not part of the proposed bill), and somehow I'm the only person so far to say no to that idea... kind of surprised. Would y'all be willing to submit a few letters of recommendation along with your letter of intent (also, no idea if she meant annually - here LOIs are annual, but I think in some states they're a one-time thing)?

We don’t file letters of intent. Well, we do file a Private School Affadavit every year. Maybe that’s similar. But no. No. No. And no.
  • Like 3

So, Lego Lass and I have kind of an honor-system deal with her library books that she shows me anything questionable so I can preread it, but I no longer look at everything she brings home. I walk in her room today and I notice on her shelf: The Illustrated Dictionary of Math, and a book on fractions.

SHOCK. AWE. SECRET GLEE!

My dd is “sneaking†math books!

Unbelievable!! What’s next?? Protractors taped in a baggie in the toilet tank?? Illicit videos showing graphic linear equations??
  • Like 11

Not that math books are questionable and need to be preread, I’m just surprised she didn’t show it to me for the brownie points. Can’t let mom know you’re secretly enjoying math, or something?

I snuck Chinese on family vacation once, because I didn't want my mom commenting on it. 

• Like 4

I was so excited to see a Linear Algebra book in dd's pile the other day.  Then I saw that it was a Manga book.

I'd still be excited. Actually, I think I read half that book, and it's pretty boring - more Linear Algebra poorly explained than manga, iirc (it's been a while). 

• Like 1

I would say Ashley Wilkes got the biggest disapproval rating amongst my kids. Both Scarlett and Rhett were unscrupulous, but they weren’t hypocrites. Ashley claimed to love his wife and talked about honor, but he was a very weak man and, while he may not have been technically unfaithful to Melanie, he kept toying with Scarlett until it basically ruined her life.

Uh, spoiler alert. Jeez.

• Like 2

Two more query letters to send out today. Then I get to start on April's list on Thursday. I want to only have a few query letters to work on through April so that I can devote my time to writing the new book.

I discovered a mistake in my CV. I sent it to two "eh, who knows" jobs. Still. I thought of you and felt less alone.

• Like 5

A law that would allow homeschoolers to play sports at public schools.

Our state keeps refusing to pass it. :glare:

Is it because the school doesn't get the money for sports if they don't have an enrolled student (coaches cost $)?

Although I realize it saves society overall I can see why the incentive structure schools deal with would encourage them to push back. They get paid per FTE and that is all inclusive of sports probably.

Very frustrating.

• Like 1

Baby is nuts! He is 5months old this week and was sitting on my lap and really, really, really wanted his sister's papers that were out of reach. The next thing I know he is standing straight up and I have to catch him before he falls on his face! He wasn't even holding onto anything. I'm not ready for mobility and it's been a while, but I don't think 5month olds are supposed to be able to go from sitting to standing without help.  :svengo:

Dancer at 6 months: https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26578_1275534975227_7029512_n.jpg?oh=fad4ebbd4c007edd809e29d0c72806aa&oe=5B3882B9

• Like 7

Is it because the school doesn't get the money for sports if they don't have an enrolled student (coaches cost $)?

Although I realize it saves society overall I can see why the incentive structure schools deal with would encourage them to push back. They get paid per FTE and that is all inclusive of sports probably.

Very frustrating.

AFAIK, my taxes are still used to fund the schools.  My kids can take individual classes for free, but they are not allowed to participate in sports or the school play or whatever.

• Like 5

She probably lied. I did Asian traditional / gradual potty training and I can tell you that 18mo is the earliest you get, and even then it's half mom trained. I have not seen a kid in five countries live up to what I would call "potty Independence". Closest was my second, pretty much dry at a year, mainly trained by 18 months but only with reminders.

AFAIK, my taxes are still used to fund the schools. My kids can take individual classes for free, but they are not allowed to participate in sports or the school play or whatever.

Oh I understand, just if your kids take classes, the school gets funded. If they don't, no money--including no money for sports. I don't know why they do it that way. It makes schools compete.

She probably lied. I did Asian traditional / gradual potty training and I can tell you that 18mo is the earliest you get, and even then it's half mom trained. I have not seen a kid in five countries live up to what I would call "potty Independence". Closest was my second, pretty much dry at a year, mainly trained by 18 months but only with reminders.

I did infant potty training with my first two but they still wore diapers because I'm a wuss. They never were fully trained but we sure saved money on diapers!
  • Like 1

We churched. I somehow have found myself in the position of having to undo something that the former pastor’s wife has done that has everyone upset. I tried to pass the buck on this but it wasn’t going away. Sigh. Time to put on my bulletproof underwear. (She’s really nice but I don’t want to hurt her feelings. And yes, she’s still at our church. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I blame the public school system that made us answer the "what university do you want your entering preschooler to attend" question. I get that the intent is to make parents think of their kids as going to college some day, or to see whether parents have given up yet on their almost-nonverbal just-turned-3yo... we had to write down like 10 universities, so I wrote down something along the lines of MIT, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, any university I'd attended myself (decent state schools), some Dutch universities, something along those lines. It was quite silly.

I want my preschooler attending the university that specializes in teaching such advanced preschoolers!   :laugh:

And I would also respond that if my preschooler was so apparently ready for college then I don't need to put her through public preschool, do I.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to get grief about the fact that Alex isn't potty trained. Not yet about college though. I was asked if I was going to put John in school when we move.  :glare:

"Well, my 1-year-old has been spending more time developing his mind right now.  He'll get to that soon enough.  And yes, John will be attending a very exclusive private school once we move."

• Like 5

I did not.

Oh, her opinion has already been shown to be questionable at best.  She's just looking for a way to one-up you because she knows how awesome you actually are.

• Like 3

Absolutely. 

NO.

• Like 4