Menu

Ignore this thread!

I opened a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, and mixed half of it with a generous splash of bourbon. Slathered it on the pork tenderloin. After 1/2 hour at 325 I turned it over and slathered the other side. Another 45 minutes to cook. Made a sauce if the rest of the can of sauce, bourbon, some chicken stock, and cayenne.

It was all off the cuff.

I will have to try this sometime soon.  And tell one or both BILs, too....

• Like 2

So just a quick update before I hear back into the dark ages:

Still no power. Wah. House thermostat reads 40. Which is as low as it goes so really I don’t know anymore. We are at dh’s office right now, finishing dinner, then will head back to start a fire in our very inefficient fireplace. Praying for no bursting pipes! Restoration time is tomorrow. Maybe. It keeps changing wildly. Dh is pretty sure some guy put his 5 year-old in charge of the website. 🙄😆

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Edpo! Avert thine eyes!

I’m looking at the online samples of Art of Argument and feeling kind of meh. It doesn’t seem like there’s going to be that much new after Fallacy Detective and all the questions seem like just comprehension, not much application. FD was all application, which was a ton of fun. So it leaves me wondering...if it’s not going to be that much fun anyway, maybe we should just do MP’s Traditional Logic. I looked at the online samples for that and was really impressed at the meat of it. But typical MP, not very attractive. It feels a little grinchy to put her in that after super silly FD.

I’m starting to feel more cautious with CAP materials in general. They are SO SO appealling to me, but they’ve been a letdown half the time.

We used Art of Argument here and liked it plenty, though we hadn't done Fallacy Detective first.  We followed up with Discovery of Deduction and it way okay, but Argument Builder we simply didn't like.  If you are already not that taken with Art of Argument I would agree that looking elsewhere is a good choice.

Good Morning!!!!

Saturday!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Slept in!!

Don’t know what i’m Going to do today!!! The house is a mess and the laundry is piling up. Isn’t there a poem or somethIng that says I should ‘t Feel guilty about letting it all go to heck, but to just watch my kids play video games or something, because they grow up so fast?

• Like 9

Good morning.

I am so tired despite actually getting enough sleep last night. I am dreading the time change. At least today is the first day in a week that I don’t have to take Ds for any kind if treatment.

Every morning I wake up with such bad leg and pelvic girdle pain. The only way to get away from it would be to levitate and I don’t have that figured out yet. I think it is muscles? But it is so deep and intense that it feels like it goes straight to the bones. So I stretch a bit in bed and try different positions and eventually I get back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Long term power outages in cold climates suck. For reals. And the use of the term is justified. I'm glad that all of the little ducklings are thawing out. For those who fear these in the future, I highly recommend the purchase of a generator sufficiently powerful to fuel your water heater (and well pump, if you have a well) and basic heat. The first one isn't so bad; the second might be urky. Thankfully, we have uber efficient wood heat available; we just can't use it regularly because I descend into pneumonia within a few weeks. :sad:

Edpo! Avert thine eyes!

I’m looking at the online samples of Art of Argument and feeling kind of meh. It doesn’t seem like there’s going to be that much new after Fallacy Detective and all the questions seem like just comprehension, not much application. FD was all application, which was a ton of fun. So it leaves me wondering...if it’s not going to be that much fun anyway, maybe we should just do MP’s Traditional Logic. I looked at the online samples for that and was really impressed at the meat of it. But typical MP, not very attractive. It feels a little grinchy to put her in that after super silly FD.
I’m starting to feel more cautious with CAP materials in general. They are SO SO appealling to me, but they’ve been a letdown half the time.

We really liked Art of Argument, but we found Discovery of Deduction to be barf. If you want something long-term, it may be best to jettison it now. Or you could do what we did and do James Madison Critical Thinking Course after Art of Argument. Just don't waste any time or money on DofD in between. :glare:

God loves old Polish ladies! We got two new men at schola last night. One of them is young and handsome and the other is youngish and has an amazing bass voice!

I practiced the Parce a ton this week and did well on the section I knew the director was going to introduce. Unfortunately, this only encouraged him 😜 so he went ahead and had us do the rest of the song so we could do it start to finish. 😱. More practicing....

God DOES love old Polish ladies! My maternal grandmother was one; she was truly the world's most awesome human. Everyone knew her by her family diminutive. A friend of mine from high school provided some speech therapy services early into the ALS. When she went to bill Medicare, she had to call and ask for my grandmother's name. She said, "S___, I am so embarassed, but I have no idea what B____'s real name is!" They had known each other for over 20 years at that point. :lol:

Ooooo! Another old Polish lady anecdote:  When I was still critically ill and bleeding like an Ebola victim, my grandmother called one of her sisters to give her an update and make sure that C____ C___ was still praying. My devoutly Catholic, quite elderly Great Aunt's response?  "Oh, no. I told God last night that I was done. I told Him what I wanted and He knows what to do. I said that I wasn't talking to Him any more until S___ stops bleeding." I stopped bleeding that day. :lol:  (Which may have had more to do with the administration of a synthetic clotting drug, but the story of how the drug was located is somewhat interesting [or miraculous, depending upon your view of these things...])

I :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:  old Polish ladies. Especially mine. I really miss them now that they're all in Heaven.

• Like 11

Good morning.

I am so tired despite actually getting enough sleep last night. I am dreading the time change. At least today is the first day in a week that I don’t have to take Ds for any kind if treatment.

Every morning I wake up with such bad leg and pelvic girdle pain. The only way to get away from it would be to levitate and I don’t have that figured out yet. I think it is muscles? But it is so deep and intense that it feels like it goes straight to the bones. So I stretch a bit in bed and try different positions and eventually I get back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I got Art of Argument first and really liked it. When we were done I looked into the others in the series and decided it was all too much of the same. What I really liked after that was simply Crash Course videos on youtube. They have a good philosophy/logic series that I used as jumping off points for discussions- and free. 

• Like 3

We are doing DoD this semester. It looks ok on samples, but IRL it is clunky, and more like a spine than a functional text. It’s like someone had an awesome co-op class and tried to translate that to a text and the people picking up the text have none of the co-op teacher’s awesome knowledge and experience.

• Like 1

Dh is out back doing yardwork.  I thought that it was a wonderful opportunity for him  to puppysit while she snurfed around out there.  But (sigh) all she wanted was to come back inside with me.  I finally gave in and she's on my lap cuddling.  Spoiled rotten puppy. 

Puppy Booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

So just a quick update before I hear back into the dark ages:

Still no power. Wah. House thermostat reads 40. Which is as low as it goes so really I don’t know anymore. We are at dh’s office right now, finishing dinner, then will head back to start a fire in our very inefficient fireplace. Praying for no bursting pipes! Restoration time is tomorrow. Maybe. It keeps changing wildly. Dh is pretty sure some guy put his 5 year-old in charge of the website. 🙄😆

No, they have someone in charge of the website who is given the autonomy of a five-year old. And when that person asks, "Are you sure? Because we're going to lose a lot of credibility if this is wrong," directors glare at them and say, "Yes, we're sure, why would we say it if we weren't sure!" And this poor guy or gal has to then explain that they just mean, they already had to change it once, and then they are explained that they only run the website, and not to do engineering's job for them.

So they say "okee-dokee, so sorry for prolonging this meeting" and they change it without questioning.

If there are errors it is probably because they are updating their CV on the other screen.

tl;dr Rarely does the person who produces the website, run the content. In fact it's a third party vendor most of the time and they learned a LONG time ago not to engage with management and engineering teams while they argue.

Source: Have managed UX, development, and web application projects for people in the public and private sectors. I hate that kind of work.

• Like 6

Long term power outages in cold climates suck. For reals. And the use of the term is justified. I'm glad that all of the little ducklings are thawing out. For those who fear these in the future, I highly recommend the purchase of a generator sufficiently powerful to fuel your water heater (and well pump, if you have a well) and basic heat. The first one isn't so bad; the second might be urky. Thankfully, we have uber efficient wood heat available; we just can't use it regularly because I descend into pneumonia within a few weeks. :sad:

Such good advice.

Every year we say we need to buy one, but then we never do.  We aren't sure where we could store it (they're heavy!) and we are always on the verge of selling the house (how many more years will I be saying that?) and feeling like we should wait until we move.   

So then we don't do anything, except fret with every nor'easter that comes along. 

I will have to try this sometime soon. And tell one or both BILs, too....

FWIW, I thought it was delicious. DH does not like fruit glazes/sauces, so he declined the sauce, as did DS, but the pork was very tender and juicy and DH got up for seconds and DS ate his whole serving. So a win. Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

Moving dates changed to end of June and maybe outside of Avon, IN for a job. We have no idea what we're doing.

That's only 5 hours away from me. I could deal with that.

(When we first moved to Nashville, dh got a job through a temp agency at a warehouse packing products into boxes to be shipped. He worked hard and was trustworthy and within a year he was practically running the warehouse and within 3 years he was working in the corporate offices and in less than 10 years he was the head of a department doing what he is really good at. I am in favor of temp agencies, even for the short term when you are trying to figure out your life.)

• Like 8

Menu...

Today - popcorn shrimp*, salad, brownies from a mix*

Sunday - Irish cabbage* with bacon, potatoes

Monday - pasta and meat sauce after I drop off my consignment stuff

Tuesday - butter chicken and mushrooms with rice, probably peas

Wednesday - salad and pizza (crust from a mix)* before soccer

Thursday - sending DH and DS to a restaurant while I go to consignment sale

Friday - scrambled eggs and smoothie before scout meeting

Saturday - a chicken and sweet potatoes, maybe cookies from a mix*

Sunday - stuffed tomatoes?, pudding

*never tried this one before. Lots of packaged foods in our life right now.

• Like 3

Oh my. When did this turn into "look at me I'm a real mom" thread. What you guys make for dinner....

I'm going to steal all these ideas. Chicken pot pi, stroganoff, and risotto. And the popcorn shrimp.

Leftovers are my friend. I do like Lynn's plans though. I used to do freezer cooking until my freezer died. :crying:

• Like 4