Menu

Ignore this thread!

I researched agents and sent off another query letter. That leaves me two more to get ready and then my March quota will be met, leaving me two weeks in which I don't have to worry about sending out query letters, but just write. Or I could double up and not have anything to do in April, leaving me most of the month of Camp NaNo in which to write and not research.

Decisions, decisions...

How do you go about researching agents?

• Like 2

How do you go about researching agents?

First-make a cup of tea

Second-get a pencil and a yellow legal pad

Third-go to a large site with agents and find a list of all the ones that rep your genre and take notes.

Fourth-one by one, go check them out from their agencies to their wishlists to their twitter feeds. You stalk the wild agent in his natural habitat. Take notes.

Fifth-figure out what they like but more importantly what they hate. Take notes.

Sixth-query according to their preference and whether you feel they are a good fit for you and your story.

Seventh-rest and wait.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

• Like 8

Glad to hear your Dad is doing so well, Mary. I seem to remember they thought it might be May? He's ahead of schedule!

Yes, it's very fast. He has always done manual labor and that's to his advantage. 

He had to be moved across from nurses.  Per mom "he's crawled out of his bed with rails up and holding onto the bed. Almost pulled out the feeding tube, so he has a binder on. He won't stay in the wheelchair and figured out how to get out of the restraint, so they are having to order a special chair..and that's after having 3 hours of therapy." He can also unlock the wheelchair. 

He's apparently acquired quite the reputation with the staff and he's only been there 27 hours. haha

• Like 9

First-make a cup of tea

Third-go to a large site with agents and find a list of all the ones that rep your genre and take notes.

Fourth-one by one, go check them out from their agencies to their wishlists to their twitter feeds. You stalk the wild agent in his natural habitat. Take notes.

Fifth-figure out what they like but more importantly what they hate. Take notes.

Sixth-query according to their preference and whether you feel they are a good fit for you and your story.

Seventh-rest and wait.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

I need Prozac after reading that. 

• Like 3

Who sends out an invoice with no pertinent information on it? One of my doctors, that’s who. I’m on hold and am not feeling particularly nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That reminds me--DH was supposed to be on the phone checking on something quite similar.

In other news, I found my first tick of the season. Joy. :glare:

• Like 3

Who sends out an invoice with no pertinent information on it? One of my doctors, that’s who. I’m on hold and am not feeling particularly nice.

Well, I'd offer to come help, but I guess we know how you feel about my idea of help...pouting-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 6

I walked the 4 Youngers plus 3 neighbor kids to the skate park. There were some bonafide skaters there, so I wouldn't let them ride their bikes - only the rip boards and razor scooters (which aren't technically allowed but I caved). Then we came back and played at the playground for a little while and then we came home. 2 of my daffodils have bloomed! :)

The girls' AFSA glasses are ready already but I think we will have to wait until tomorrow to get them. Dd11 is a little nervous.

• Like 4

Recipe, please? If you haven't already shared it?

I opened a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, and mixed half of it with a generous splash of bourbon. Slathered it on the pork tenderloin. After 1/2 hour at 325 I turned it over and slathered the other side. Another 45 minutes to cook. Made a sauce if the rest of the can of sauce, bourbon, some chicken stock, and cayenne.

It was all off the cuff.

• Like 6

Quiet on the query front today. I'm working on character motivations and backstories for my short story.  :svengo: I've never been the kind of writer who could just stop with what characterization is needed for the story. Nope. I have to know where each character came from and why they feel/act/want/love the way they do.

#pantserplanster

#IyamwhatIyam

• Like 5

I opened a can of whole berry cranberry sauce, and mixed half of it with a generous splash of bourbon. Slathered it on the pork tenderloin. After 1/2 hour at 325 I turned it over and slathered the other side. Another 45 minutes to cook. Made a sauce if the rest of the can of sauce, bourbon, some chicken stock, and cayenne.

It was all off the cuff.

Sounds very yummy!! I may have a pork tenderloin in the freezer.
  • Like 3

So just a quick update before I hear back into the dark ages:

Still no power. Wah. House thermostat reads 40. Which is as low as it goes so really I don’t know anymore. We are at dh’s office right now, finishing dinner, then will head back to start a fire in our very inefficient fireplace. Praying for no bursting pipes! Restoration time is tomorrow. Maybe. It keeps changing wildly. Dh is pretty sure some guy put his 5 year-old in charge of the website. 🙄😆

• Like 6

Ducks, 

Can you go to a hotel?  Or the electric company's office?  Or something to help them change their priorities?  

I'm guessing she's staying home with the fireplace to reduce the odds of burst pipes. Of course, I don't know - that's just what I gathered from her post. 

• Like 2

I'm guessing she's staying home with the fireplace to reduce the odds of burst pipes. Of course, I don't know - that's just what I gathered from her post. 

I just told my dh that if our house had gotten that cold, I would have been tempted to leave him home with the fireplace and take myself and the kiddos to a hotel.

40 degrees is Cold!

• Like 3

And...... we have power!!

It's already up to a whopping 50 degrees in the house.   :D   Thanks for your well-wishes and prayers.  I puffy-heart ITT.  :001_wub:

So glad we don't have to stay up all night tending the fire.  A hotel (or the electric company's office  ;)) would have been heavenly, Lynn, but dh and I were thinking we'd have to take shifts to make sure the fire didn't go out.  He did consider leaving me with the ducklings in his warm office, but that might have been kinda weird if the CEO showed up in the morning.   :blush:

On another note, while we camped out all afternoon at Barnes and Noble, look what I found!  It appears that I may be a feline suffering from an identity crisis....

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 13

And...... we have power!!

It's already up to a whopping 50 degrees in the house.   :D   Thanks for your well-wishes and prayers.  I puffy-heart ITT.  :001_wub:

So glad we don't have to stay up all night tending the fire.  A hotel (or the electric company's office  ;)) would have been heavenly, Lynn, but dh and I were thinking we'd have to take shifts to make sure the fire didn't go out.  He did consider leaving me with the ducklings in his warm office, but that might have been kinda weird if the CEO showed up in the morning.   :blush:

On another note, while we camped out all afternoon at Barnes and Noble, look what I found!  It appears that I may be a feline suffering from an identity crisis....

Oh, happy tears for you.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

May all of you sleep well!

• Like 4

40 degrees is Cold!

Last night I was so stressed about the cold that I was up every hour or two checking on the ducklings (who were in multiple layers of pj's and hats and socks and quilts).  Around 4, I found little ds3 totally uncovered with his hat off.  When I went to tuck him back in, he rolled over and said "Oh Mama, I sooooo cold." 

And he was.  It was heartbreaking.

He got to sleep with me and Daddy Duck the rest of the night.   :001_wub:   Wish we had a king sized bed.... I'd have liked to pile everyone in. 

• Like 6

Last night I was so stressed about the cold that I was up every hour or two checking on the ducklings (who were in multiple layers of pj's and hats and socks and quilts).  Around 4, I found little ds3 totally uncovered with his hat off.  When I went to tuck him back in, he rolled over and said "Oh Mama, I sooooo cold." 

And he was.  It was heartbreaking.

He got to sleep with me and Daddy Duck the rest of the night.   :001_wub:   Wish we had a king sized bed.... I'd have liked to pile everyone in. 

:crying:

I'm glad that you didn't have to go another night without power.

• Like 3

Last night I was so stressed about the cold that I was up every hour or two checking on the ducklings (who were in multiple layers of pj's and hats and socks and quilts). Around 4, I found little ds3 totally uncovered with his hat off. When I went to tuck him back in, he rolled over and said "Oh Mama, I sooooo cold."

And he was. It was heartbreaking.

He got to sleep with me and Daddy Duck the rest of the night. :001_wub: Wish we had a king sized bed.... I'd have liked to pile everyone in.

What a good mommy you are! And what a lucky duck he was that you found him and allowed him to snuggle with you the rest of the night. :wub:
  • Like 7

Just helped ds22 with his taxes. FWIW, if you happen to have an UTMA college fund account for any of your children, don't ever ever ever take the money out of the UTMA account to transfer to your child. Use up every penny before they reach the age of transfer, for The Tax Man Cometh. :svengo: :banghead:

• Like 5

Well, we made it through the evening. DH left right after lunch for ManCamp and I gained another child for the afternoon and evening - an unplanned babysitting for a friend. He’s a good kid, though, no trouble at all. We had Costco pizza for dinner. And we had family movie night - Gone With The Wind. The kids are enjoying it, but even though both DS and DD just finished studying the Civil War, neither had a clue about what was going on.

• Like 3

I'm glad you have power again, Quackers!

I just told my dh that if our house had gotten that cold, I would have been tempted to leave him home with the fireplace and take myself and the kiddos to a hotel.

40 degrees is Cold!

Oh, I agree it's cold. When Celery was a toddler we had multiple days that our space heater said it was 45F, and well, that was right near where the space heater was heating things up, obviously. King size beds are awesome. So are footie pajamas - dress kid, put footie pajamas over kid, put kid in between you in bed under a bunch of blankets. 

• Like 5

Come to think of it, I think footie pajamas are the only thing that Celery consistently wore a size bigger than his age. Probably because at times we'd dress him and then put the pjs over his clothes. Oh, and also, aside from footie pajamas, I guess it's also happened that he's worn his winter coat (like a footie pajama, but a coat) inside. That would've been as a baby though. As a toddler he would've been too old for a footie coat.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

40 degrees is Cold!

Tempted? No. Decided is more like it. I would have been packed and in the car before you could say Jack Frost!

• Like 5

Instead of cookies I am eating leftover tikka masala.

Good girl!

Last night FIL made parathas to accompany a pork chop dinner.  He has been reading up on herbal uses and wanted to try Ajwain, which can be used to treat pain (among other uses).  I found the parathas he made quite tasty, as did FIL, though everyone else thought they were rather strongly flavored.  He's going to try playing around with flour mixes (he used straight whole wheat) and levels of seasonings.

He wanted to buy just a small amount, but the one pound bag cost less than the six ounce bag, so he bought a pound and gave me some.  From a short distance the baggie has a caraway smell (yummmmm.........), though if I stuff my face into the side of the bag and take a whiff it smells like a used ashtray.  Lesson learned:  smell smaller amounts from a short distance.

FIL tried chewing a large pinch of the Ajwain.  His mouth was numb for hours!

• Like 3

Dad stood for 5 minutes today. He also had a shower, was able to wash his body, held a bar to stand, and "brushed and brushed and brushed his teeth". 

He could be released as early as 12 days and with his strength the caseworker says it's very likely. They would have to go through another surgery to replace the bone flap and he could then be referred to a neuro facility about 3 hours away to work on his cognitive deficits. 

Crazy!! Seems like he just fell, but it will be a month on the 11th. 

Hooray!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

First-make a cup of tea

Seventh-rest and wait.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

:lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

God loves old Polish ladies! We got two new men at schola last night. One of them is young and handsome and the other is youngish and has an amazing bass voice!

I practiced the Parce a ton this week and did well on the section I knew the director was going to introduce. Unfortunately, this only encouraged him 😜 so he went ahead and had us do the rest of the song so we could do it start to finish. 😱. More practicing....

:lol: I remember that prayer! :D

• Like 2

Yes, it's very fast. He has always done manual labor and that's to his advantage. 

He had to be moved across from nurses.  Per mom "he's crawled out of his bed with rails up and holding onto the bed. Almost pulled out the feeding tube, so he has a binder on. He won't stay in the wheelchair and figured out how to get out of the restraint, so they are having to order a special chair..and that's after having 3 hours of therapy." He can also unlock the wheelchair. 

He's apparently acquired quite the reputation with the staff and he's only been there 27 hours. haha

Wonderful!!!!  He's healing rapidly, then!   :lol:  :lol:

Right after my Dad came out of carotid artery surgery back in 2005 he was trying to get out of bed to use the bathroom.  The nurse came out to my sister and me and asked, "Is your Dad, well, the determined sort?"  "What is he doing now?"  "He won't stay in bed!  He has to stay laying flat for the next few hours while things start to knit, and he wants to get up to use the bathroom!"  

We told her to explain to him in very plain terms exactly WHAT he is supposed to do and not do and WHY.  Be blunt.  The nurse said that they don't like to upset the patients right after surgery, but we told her Dad won't be upset and will do exactly as instructed once he knows WHY.

She did, and he was much more cooperative.   :laugh:

• Like 4

Irritatingly I find this to be common among doctors, at least around here.  I simply inform them (sometimes at my initial visit)  that I won't pay any invoice unless it contains a complete itemization.  I still end up calling to ask for one.

• Like 2