• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

It's hard to proofread your own writing because you know what you meant.

If ever you want a second pair of eyes, I'd be glad to look at your stuff. :)

I'll vouch for JJM and her editing skills. :D

• Like 2

:scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :svengo:  :willy_nilly:  :wacko:  :blushing:  :glare:

Sequence of emotions when you find a repeated word in the first line of the query that ten agents have. And yes, you read it twenty times before you sent it, aloud, and you checked it word by word twenty times, and you still missed it.

For what it's worth, two agents let that typo go and requested anyway. So I don't feel despondent, just very, very embarrassed.

I just found that problem in DS's spelling book--and it was in the copywork section, and he had absentmindedly copied it as written! Obviously not a huge deal for publishers. :)

• Like 4

I'm usually pretty good at catching stuff. I find things in books all the time--usually I fix it on the fly as I read. For whatever reason, I just didn't catch this one particular repeated word. That's the hazard of having multiple query letters where you mix and match for agents and their styles, dislikes, wants and so forth. Sometimes a word gets retained when you move it from one place to another. But I've been using this particular entry for a little while, and I should have caught it. Not my first mistake and I hope it's not my last.

• Like 1

Now, I have to calm down, make pizza dough, print out that short story for revision and write 1000+ words on my sequel.

I was a bad girl and didn't do my Latin or my French today because I was fixing lunch for turtles and doing writerly stuff.

• Like 3

We speeched (spoke?) and parked. My boys have been given the instructions to do whatever they fancy as long as it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing. That means no bugging me and no broken bones. I don't have time for a hospital run.

I need to pack bags for the boys for 3 nights at my IL's. I need to pack a bag for 3 days and nights for me. DH has to pack his own stuff. I think I have to do a load of laundry so I actually have clothes to pack. I would like to straighten up the house a bit and get the dishes washed. I don't want to come home to a disaster. If there's time, I want to go to the Y tonight.

Tomorrow, I have to get the car inspected, and Captain Mal has his annual check-up. Then drop the boys off. DH will meet us there with the dogs. Then we are off for some grown-up time.

• Like 7

Y'all - you'd better hold me back. I try not to swear, but this "hospital" my dad is currently in is giving me a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush. I can not even begin to express my utter disgust and fury right now. 

So, there have been issues with this "hospital". 
So, dad has had "no-no mitts" on his hands (like cotton boxing gloves) because he kept trying to take out his trach. Well, Mom requested some for him and the nurse said "Oh, we're out." "When will you get some?" "Don't know." Mom said, "You're a hospital. You are out of supplies?!" So, the nurse pulled soiled no-no mitts out of the hamper and said "Here. These will be ok." Mom was furious and said "Don't bother." She brought some home and washed them.   :cursing: 

Another time, Mom requested more Depends for Dad. "We're out." WHAT THE HECK!
I mean, the standard for these types of hospitals is to have a pad underneath them, but Dad was cognizant enough of his accidents that he would try to take care of it himself. Completely unsanitary. So, Mom had the doctor prescribe Depends. But, this "hospital" "runs out".  

When I was with him, the nurse consistently called him the wrong name. :/ Mistakes happen, but I would hope you'd know the name of the person you're coming to see. That's pretty important for meds and feedings. 

He is allergic to the bed - the plastic cover is giving him a rash. Mom pointed it out to the nurse. She shrugged and said "I guess you can put something on that if you want." Again... :cursing: 

THEN, today....Dear Lord help me....
Mom woke up 5x last night feeling like something was wrong, so she went in an hour earlier than she normally does. 
She walked in at 3:30 this morning to my dad lying on the bed with no sheet, no blanket, no pillowcase, no Depends on, a wet t-shirt, soaked in his own urine. His no-no mitts were covered in urine and feces. 
:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing: 

God only knows how long this has been going on. I have a feeling they don't bother to do anything until they know Mom is coming in. 

Mom was LIVID.
She immediately called the doctor and said "Do you want to trade places? Do you want to lay on a plastic mattress with no cover, in your own urine and in wet clothes? Because this is completely inhumane, degrading, and unsanitary. It is unheard of for a HOSPITAL to not have enough supplies with which to operate. You WILL transfer my husband out of this place TODAY. "
After SHE cleaned him up, she called a friend who has investigated and shut down hospitals and nursing homes for this type of negligence. That friend was HOT and she called and reamed the head nurse and doctor. She then filed a complaint and called the Dept of Health for an investigation. Then, the associate pastor who has been beside mom through this whole thing ended up calling the hospital and chewing them out, he also reported them to the department of health and has an attorney from church involved. 

I try to be a gracious person. I try to overlook mistakes. But, this is out and out gross negligence.
Right now, I want the licenses and careers of every nurse and doctor in that place. I want that sham of a hospital shut down. Those people should never work in health care again. I wouldn't send my worst enemy's dog there...and I hate dogs. 

• Like 3

(((Mary)))

I hope they get him moved to a better facility quickly!

The caseworkers (the one from workman's comp) and the hospital caseworker are both pushing for it to happen today. I think it depends on the rehab facility openings. But, it's today or tomorrow. 

I'd even be fine with him going back to the original hospital for a few days - anywhere but this trash facility. 

Y'all - you'd better hold me back. I try not to swear, but this "hospital" my dad is currently in is giving me a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush. I can not even begin to express my utter disgust and fury right now. 

So, dad has had "no-no mitts" on his hands (like cotton boxing gloves) because he kept trying to take out his trach. Well, Mom requested some for him and the nurse said "Oh, we're out." "When will you get some?" "Don't know." Mom said, "You're a hospital. You are out of supplies?!" So, the nurse pulled soiled no-no mitts out of the hamper and said "Here. These will be ok." Mom was furious and said "Don't bother." She brought some home and washed them.   :cursing: 

I mean, the standard for these types of hospitals is to have a pad underneath them, but Dad was cognizant enough of his accidents that he would try to take care of it himself. Completely unsanitary. So, Mom had the doctor prescribe Depends. But, this "hospital" "runs out".  

When I was with him, the nurse consistently called him the wrong name. :/ Mistakes happen, but I would hope you'd know the name of the person you're coming to see. That's pretty important for meds and feedings. 

He is allergic to the bed - the plastic cover is giving him a rash. Mom pointed it out to the nurse. She shrugged and said "I guess you can put something on that if you want." Again... :cursing: 

Mom woke up 5x last night feeling like something was wrong, so she went in an hour earlier than she normally does. 

She walked in at 3:30 this morning to my dad lying on the bed with no sheet, no blanket, no pillowcase, no Depends on, a wet t-shirt, soaked in his own urine. His no-no mitts were covered in urine and feces. 

God only knows how long this has been going on. I have a feeling they don't bother to do anything until they know Mom is coming in. 

Mom was LIVID.

She immediately called the doctor and said "Do you want to trade places? Do you want to lay on a plastic mattress with no cover, in your own urine and in wet clothes? Because this is completely inhumane, degrading, and unsanitary. It is unheard of for a HOSPITAL to not have enough supplies with which to operate. You WILL transfer my husband out of this place TODAY. "

After SHE cleaned him up, she called a friend who has investigated and shut down hospitals and nursing homes for this type of negligence. That friend was HOT and she called and reamed the head nurse and doctor. She then filed a complaint and called the Dept of Health for an investigation. Then, the associate pastor who has been beside mom through this whole thing ended up calling the hospital and chewing them out, he also reported them to the department of health and has an attorney from church involved. 

I try to be a gracious person. I try to overlook mistakes. But, this is out and out gross negligence.

Right now, I want the licenses and careers of every nurse and doctor in that place. I want that sham of a hospital shut down. Those people should never work in health care again. I wouldn't send my worst enemy's dog there...and I hate dogs. 

That's horrible.  Yes, file all of the complaints and cases, and tip the media when the attorney gives the go-ahead.

This is a good time to be livid.

SaveSave

• Like 1

There is snow here, too. :(

Supposed to get 4 to 8.

I’m in denial.

ETA: downgraded to 1 to 3. See, complaining DOES work, Mom! :D

And it has all melted already.  So much for that.  And it's not even my Nirthday!

Bring on the flowers; I'm ready for spring.

• Like 6

Oh my, Mary!! Please file everywhere you guys possibly can!! Hugs for all of you!!

I think once he's gone and safe, Mom will be filing as well. She's afraid of retaliation. 

((Mary and Dad and fam)). Thank God your mom has people to help her get your Dad out. I hope that hospital gets what it deserves.

Me too!! They're just waiting on the rehab dr's approval for transfer. He's aware of the situation, so I think it's just a matter of the paperwork. 

(((Mary and Mary's Dad and Mary's mom)))

How horrible.  I feel so sad for humanity when I hear things like this. :(

Me too! What about the people who have no advocate??! It disgusts me to think of how they're treated. 

Mom said that the drs and staff are being extremely attentive. Apparently, the Health Department has already notified them as well. 

• Like 7

Oh my word, Mary. I cannot even.... I hope that place is shut down and burned. I cannot even imagine. I am so sorry your dad had to endure that kind of torture. That is what it is. How horrible.

It's so hard to comprehend. You read about it. You see it in movies. You never think it will happen to your loved one. When it does, it's like you're just completely dumbfounded. 

• Like 2

ENT done.  Dd is upset because doctor (who looked like a skateboarder) said to do nothing for her broken nose (broken mid January) other than NSAIDS and ice for 4 to 6 more weeks.  I did understand and trust what he was saying but we just wanted it to be all fixed and better. 

Ds did fine on puppy duty.  Puppy did pee with excitement all over the place though and he had to spray it.  (Puppy only tends to do this with men.  I don't think that she is afraid of dh or ds at all.  They just aren't around her as much.)

We Whole Foods'd to make dd feel better (and to get celiac friendly lunch).

• Like 8

Mom was LIVID.

Good for all of you getting him out of there and actions started to report this place.  Did your Mom get pictures of the state in which she found him?

Lots and lots of hugs!

• Like 3

The caseworkers (the one from workman's comp) and the hospital caseworker are both pushing for it to happen today. I think it depends on the rehab facility openings. But, it's today or tomorrow. 

I'd even be fine with him going back to the original hospital for a few days - anywhere but this trash facility. 

As long as he has to stay there have someone with him around the clock, filming, photographing, and writing down everything that happens, when, and who did what.  If possible make it a team of two, so there can be bathroom breaks without interrupting coverage and back-up if someone tries to pressure the attending family/friend.

• Like 1

Text to husband:

The house is spotless, the children have been bathed, well fed and are in bed listening to Swan Lake. All school subjects have been completed and Spanish has been read, read aloud and spoken. We walked almost two miles, I carried the baby about half way and I worked on my pushup challenge when we got home. I have read my Bible, studied Greek and done various small things throughout the house including some I had expected you to do when you got home. This your wife NOT on gluten. After 2 weeks of chronic insomnia, chronic pain, and chronic fatigue with an inability to even stand up straight at the end I hope I have proven my point. Now I am going to retire in bed with a salad after a 17-hour fast and share my well-deserved break with some unicorns.

• Like 9

Text to husband:

The house is spotless, the children have been bathed, well fed and are in bed listening to Swan Lake. All school subjects have been completed and Spanish has been read, read aloud and spoken. We walked almost two miles, I carried the baby about half way and I worked on my pushup challenge when we got home. I have read my Bible, studied Greek and done various small things throughout the house including some I had expected you to do when you got home. This your wife NOT on gluten. After 2 weeks of chronic insomnia, chronic pain, and chronic fatigue with an inability to even stand up straight at the end I hope I have proven my point. Now I am going to retire in bed with a salad after a 17-hour fast and share my well-deserved break with some unicorns.

Husband reading text: Blah, blah, blah, still looking for the part about teA...

• Like 9

Good for all of you getting him out of there and actions started to report this place.  Did your Mom get pictures of the state in which she found him?

Lots and lots of hugs!

Yes, she did. She has names and situations documented as well. 

I have heard it happens a lot to people who don't have family dropping in all the time.

Which is even more awful, because my mom is with him from 7am-9pm. If they can be that awful between 9pm-7am, how much worse are they with people whose families don't visit?! 

As long as he has to stay there have someone with him around the clock, filming, photographing, and writing down everything that happens, when, and who did what.  If possible make it a team of two, so there can be bathroom breaks without interrupting coverage and back-up if someone tries to pressure the attending family/friend.

That's the plan for tonight. HealthSouth, the rehab facility, has approved transfer. We're just waiting to see if it's tonight or tomorrow. Mom has been there since 3:30 this morning, so she's seeing if some of the men from church can sit with him. She is with him at all times, except bathroom break and she uses the restroom in the room. She had my sister come up today to load things up in the car because she refused to leave the room - I don't blame her. 

• Like 7

Mom was LIVID.

Well, all I've got are :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: . Seriously, YAY, YOU. And YAY, your mom and her friend and your pastor. Obviously those people at the hospital have been getting away with that cr*p because other patients either lacked the support your dad has or their support people lacked the skills to help. I'm so sorry that your dad has suffered at their hands, but I'm so, so glad that steps have been taken to prevent the suffering of others.

Now, Mary, would you like the bazooka big-machine-gun.gif or the rocket launcherrocket-launcher-2.gif ?

• Like 7

When I was hospitalized after DD, I had a family member with me 24/7, except when they got thrown out of ICU. And even then they stayed right outside the door until they could come back in. And this was in a GOOD hospital. Still they stopped nurses from giving me insulin on 2 occasions. Despite the "NO INSULIN" written in red on the front of my chart.

I'm so glad that we had the support to do that. Hospitals do some amazingly wonderful things. But they can be scary places, too.

• Like 5

That's the plan for tonight. HealthSouth, the rehab facility, has approved transfer. We're just waiting to see if it's tonight or tomorrow. Mom has been there since 3:30 this morning, so she's seeing if some of the men from church can sit with him. She is with him at all times, except bathroom break and she uses the restroom in the room. She had my sister come up today to load things up in the car because she refused to leave the room - I don't blame her. 

Is HealthSouth the current facility?

We survived The AFSA. Dds11&15 picked out some very nice, inexpensive glasses that were completely covered by our eyecare insurance. 👠I bought a few misc. items that I usually pick up there and birthday present for TSD-OFNK.

Dinner is almost ready. Fish tacos with cilantro lime sauce and green beans. Come on over!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 9