• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Cardiologist report: this doc was a major answer to prayer. He was appalled at the lack of communication from the previous doctor and apologized profusely even though it wasn't his fault. Dd's heart

Posted Images

I have just taken several minutes to put my newly-acquired rubber snake collection throughout the honeysuckle and pomegranate bushes. Hopefully it will help discourage mockingbirds from nesting there.

I heard the owls hooting away while I was out there. One is a block or so away across the street, and another is in some trees just behind the commercial buildings behind our house. There might be another one or two owls out there, too, but these two were really singing away. The metal glider swing in our breezeway could offer our cat one refuge from owls, and maybe under the canopy swing out in the grass (depending on how determined the owl is), but I will talk to DH this evening to see if we could create other refuges in the yard to help her escape aerial attacks.

I love owls. I think they are one of my favorite birds.

When things like that happen here, I always thought it was a result of ADD.  But, I'm not a psychologist, nor do I play one on TV.  

I've never been tested, and focus has never been an issue for me, or for him. We can be dedicated to a project to the point of forgetting about everything and everyone else in the pursuit of an inventive solution. But it can be really frustrating to have my tools gone, my boots full of holes, my string gone, and I have to hide tape in reserve in case of emergency. But he draws every project, then improvises on the fly--very similar to the way I do things. And forget measuring. Gimme templates every day of the week. I'll build it, then measure, thanks. :laugh:

But it was a little startling to figure out that there might just be a link between what looks a little scatterbrained or thoughtless, but is really simple experimentation in a "safe" way. It's okay to lose Mom's stuff and ruin Mom's stuff, because Mom will forgive, you see? Only now he's beginning to risk some of his own resources--so he's growing up. Sniff.

• Like 2

Aaaah! I overslept! My mom is coming. I need to get dressed. I need to get the boys dressed. I need to take the dogs out. It's raining.

Aaaah!

I’m late!!

I’m late!!

For a very important date!!

No time to say good-bye, hello!!

I’m late, i’m Late, I’m late!!!

• Like 6

I've never been tested, and focus has never been an issue for me, or for him. We can be dedicated to a project to the point of forgetting about everything and everyone else in the pursuit of an inventive solution.

That's called hyperfocus and is actually a symptom of ADHD as well. I'm not saying you and your boy have it. I'm just saying that doesn't rule it out.

But I tend to agree with SWB when it comes to slapping labels on our kids. If possible, I would rather do my own research and tweak the way I teach rather than seeking a diagnosis and special services. Of course, if it's something I can't teach him to handle on my own, I will seek services. We do go to speech after all.

• Like 8

That's called hyperfocus and is actually a symptom of ADHD as well. I'm not saying you and your boy have it. I'm just saying that doesn't rule it out.

But I tend to agree with SWB when it comes to slapping labels on our kids. If possible, I would rather do my own research and tweak the way I teach rather than seeking a diagnosis and special services. Of course, if it's something I can't teach him to handle on my own, I will seek services. We do go to speech after all.

Interesting. I wonder if it's just never been on my radar because either I've learned to create structures I can live in and with, and so the scaffolding is already there? Or maybe neither of us are really crippled by it, and so it's just part of our personalities and not something that causes us significant difficulty on a regular basis? 

For instance, he's naturally very neat. I was much more sloppy, and only got organized once I got rid of gluten in my diet. He also has digestive issues with gluten--so he's GF and much happier in that department. But he was always organized. This is the boy who periodically takes it upon himself to declutter his environment. 

In other ways, though, he's a bit absent-minded. He might take longer to get ready to go because he needs all the things before he can go. He knows where they are, but he might have to gather them from his various work and play areas. He will double-check things that he's double-checked. 

He has his notebooks of people and places in his story indexed, and multiple maps up on the wall for direction when he's writing.

• Like 2

Amen, sister.

• Like 3

Interesting. I wonder if it's just never been on my radar because either I've learned to create structures I can live in and with, and so the scaffolding is already there? Or maybe neither of us are really crippled by it, and so it's just part of our personalities and not something that causes us significant difficulty on a regular basis?

For instance, he's naturally very neat. I was much more sloppy, and only got organized once I got rid of gluten in my diet. He also has digestive issues with gluten--so he's GF and much happier in that department. But he was always organized. This is the boy who periodically takes it upon himself to declutter his environment.

In other ways, though, he's a bit absent-minded. He might take longer to get ready to go because he needs all the things before he can go. He knows where they are, but he might have to gather them from his various work and play areas. He will double-check things that he's double-checked.

He has his notebooks of people and places in his story indexed, and multiple maps up on the wall for direction when he's writing.

Honestly, this sounds to me like he's purposefully creating the structure he needs to offset the scatterbrained bits.

• Like 2

Just got back from the dentist.

Swish a little spit a little

Swish!  Swish!  Swish!

Spit a lot, spit a little more

Swish!  Swish!  Swish!

Swish!  Swish!  Swish!

Swish a litt-

MOM!  PLEASE, STOP!

Swishswishswishswishswishswishswishswish

Swishswishswishswishswishswishswishswish

#gottalovepattersongs
#thoughiftheydon'ttakecareitbecomesaspattersong
:D

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Tuesday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

I have got to get the invitations out for DS’s birthday party. I just...honestly, I hate hosting birthday parties, but it has to be done,

:grouphug:

Right there with you.  I was thrilled when my SIL took over party planning for our DDs one summer.

• Like 2

Yep, those are the wrong size, lol.  It's okay.  You don't have to keep searching.  

Oh, those came up in the same Amazon search result as the other.  I simply clicked on the item and then copied and pasted the url.  

I have a notebook (brand name Stellar) about the size of the first notebook I suggested that was pretty cheap.  I don't remember where I got it, but it was likely either AFSA or Office Depot.  Might be college ruled instead of wide, but I'm not positive.

• Like 1

I had an epiphany about one of my turtles (the active introverted doer) today. I was mourning the loss of my gloves (he used them to handle a dead cactus and filled them up with spines). Then I remembered that he's ruined scissors, ruined my boots multiple times, lost two umbrellas in experiments on sailing, used up nearly all my string and run me out of duct tape on numerous occasions.

All that I have done also.

I think he's a problem-solver like me. He doesn't want to plan to much because that gets in the way of creating the problems to solve. No wonder we can't function well with detailed outlines.

DH would recommend you lay in a stock of parachute cord.  And a small pocket torch for melting the ends when you cut the parachute cord.

• Like 2

Aaaah! I overslept! My mom is coming. I need to get dressed. I need to get the boys dressed. I need to take the dogs out. It's raining.

Aaaah!

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :grouphug:  *gives chocolate*

Edited by AMJ

I love owls. I think they are one of my favorite birds.

They are pretty neat, though I would appreciate it if they would keep away from my cat.

• Like 1

I've never been tested, and focus has never been an issue for me, or for him. We can be dedicated to a project to the point of forgetting about everything and everyone else in the pursuit of an inventive solution. But it can be really frustrating to have my tools gone, my boots full of holes, my string gone, and I have to hide tape in reserve in case of emergency. But he draws every project, then improvises on the fly--very similar to the way I do things. And forget measuring. Gimme templates every day of the week. I'll build it, then measure, thanks. :laugh:

But it was a little startling to figure out that there might just be a link between what looks a little scatterbrained or thoughtless, but is really simple experimentation in a "safe" way. It's okay to lose Mom's stuff and ruin Mom's stuff, because Mom will forgive, you see? Only now he's beginning to risk some of his own resources--so he's growing up. Sniff.

Likety.

• Like 1

Edpo

After looking through Conceptual Physical Science and talking to Lego Lass, I think we might spread it out over two years and do a bunch of supplementing. McHenry’s Carbon Chem would fit in nicely towards the end of the chemistry section. So I think we might do The chem and astronomy next year and the physics and earth science sections in 8th? The astronomy section could use some supplementing, I think. It’s only three chapters. And it seems like we’re always learning new things about the planets, so that would maybe be a good project, to look up what’s the latest knowledge.

Opinions?

Part of me is thinking, “yay planning!†And part of me is thinking, “I wish it wasn’t science...â€

Sounds awesome, but if you don't supplement astronomy that will be okay.

Years ago, when I was working a paycheck job, my immediate supervisor asked me once if I was ADD.  I told her I had no idea because I had never been tested.  Apparently many of my coworkers were surprised I answered the way I did because they expected someone who had not been tested to simply assume they weren't.

I have created structures that work for me until stuff comes along to require change.  I used to be a lot worse at handling unanticipated change; now I'm better and only have real difficulties when things are piled on and overwhelming.  I have tried to teach my kids little methods and adaptations that worked for me because they might work for them, too, but right now they are in the teen phase of not really seeing how it might work until they suddenly see their own need and how it might apply.  (Did that make sense?)

Organization can be a struggle for me.  I can pick up and follow a given organizational strategy and even adapt it as needed, but creating such on my own from scratch I find quite perplexing.  In those cases I piece stuff together from other peoples' strategies.

I have increasing drive to declutter, and get hit with the declutter urge periodically -- that is now.  When I was a few decades younger I was very much a preserve-it-all packrat.  I had held unspoken hopes of having a decluttering year this year, but other needs are running over that idea, at least the way I had pictured that idea.  I find it interesting, though, that over the span of 5 decades I have learned a lot about why people might hang onto stuff, and some of what I have learned is helping me to let go of some stuff.

I was called "absent-minded" a lot when I was a kid.  When the brain is focused on something other than the stuff in front of one it is very much like the brain is elsewhere.  When I was a teen I used to simply say "cornfields" to my Mom or sister to explain my distraction.  For a couple of years we lived in a trailer house on the farm, and outside the dining area window was a field (alternated corn and soybeans).  My chair at supper had a direct view of the field, and I would gaze away at it when deep in thought.

Whe DD16 was finally being diagnosed ADD I mentioned that it seemed a rather ironic name to give it, since it wasn't so much a lack of focus that was her problem -- instead it was a very strong focus, just not on what others wanted her to focus on at the moment.

DD13 takes forever to get ready to go, too, because she takes all the stuff.  

I used to carry a rather full backpack when I wasn't in class because it would hold all the stuff.  There came a point in college where I carried two backpacks, one on my back and one on my front, both full of books and stuff.  I slipped on ice and hurt my wrist because I couldn't manage the fall due to all the weight up high.  This was before wheely carts became all that ubiquitous.

I used to have a horrendously messy room in college.  I could find everything, though, if people wouldn't disturb the stratigraphy.  I could remember exactly where in the pile I put things.

I still multi-check stuff a lot.  Sometimes I'm better, but when my brain is full or I'm tired or feeling overwhelmed I check and double-check and triple-check for fear of forgetting something.  The more important something is the more reminders and checks I pile up in hopes of remembering it on time.

I like big whiteboards and would write on my walls if I could.  Some conference rooms where I worked had walls faced in magnetic whiteboard material -- those were heavenly!

I am very much a read-for-input gal, and an if-it's-in-sight-I'll-remember-it-better gal.  I am very much like my Dad in this.

• Like 2

Honestly, this sounds to me like he's purposefully creating the structure he needs to offset the scatterbrained bits.

:iagree:

• Like 1

Aaaah!

No worries.  I'm sure your mom has seen you and your boys in their pajamas before.

If it were me, I would stay in my pjs until my mom arrived and then take a long, hot shower while she got the kids ready.  :)

• Like 4

I think the turtle stole my parachute cord for the anchor he built for his kayak. So yes--I need more parachute cord.

Large spools of it!

And parachute cord is exactly what we used on our paddling boards for anchor and tether lines.  DH tied runner lines from bow to midpoint handle, and from midpoint handle to stern.  He then tied another line (a littler longer than half the length of the board) to the midpoint handle and added a carabiner clip on one end.  In the cargo bins, within reach of the seat, DH put some tow lines with loops pre-tied in the ends, plus an anchor with its own line.  If the kids tired they could hand over one end of the tow line and clip the other to their line carabiner.  The kids would then clip the carabiner to the forward-running line on their board (to take the tow line to the bow without leaving the seat of the board) and the towing parent would do similarly on their board with the other end of the tow line, but running that end to the stern of their board instead.  The runner and carabiner lines are also helpful when wanting to anchor the bow or stern without leaving the seat of the board.

DH also would chain-stitch the tow and anchor lines when not deployed -- this keeps them from tangling and makes them easier to manage.  With a spare small carabiner a person could simply unchain however much line they wanted and then use the carabiner as a "stitch keeper" to keep the line from unchaining further.

Easter is coming.  Does your turtle need some Easter parachute cord?  I recommend bright neon colors for marine applications.

Parabooya(h)!!!!!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

I have to go play with a puppy who is looking at me rather plaintively.

Oh, I have a Juliet funny.  Last night I was sitting in my armchair and she tried to crawl up into my lap.  And I know that I shouldn't let a dog who might grow up to squish me, to do this, but I let her come up.  Only to find out that she was really interested in my snack and not me.  Down she went.  :) 

• Like 7

I picked up some of those earlier this school year, and then all of the Dad Project and other stuff sidetracked us.  I picked up spiral-bound (which got grabbed for DP stuff), loose leaf (which the kids have taken over for non-math stuff), and a glue-bound tablet (which DH snagged with my permission when he was wanting something just like that).  Now, I just need to get some in in top-spiral....

Oh, I have a Juliet funny.  Last night I was sitting in my armchair and she tried to crawl up into my lap.  And I know that I shouldn't let a dog who might grow up to squish me, to do this, but I let her come up.  Only to find out that she was really interested in my snack and not me.  Down she went.  :)

:laugh:   Nice try!  

#nolapforyou!

• Like 1

Has to be low carb. I think I will use some of it to make burgers. That way I can have mine as a lettuce wrap. I need an idea for the rest, though.

Well, there's always fauxpotatoes to put on top of the shepherd's pie.

But I think that'd be gross, myself.

So far I've blow the ceiling out twice with sneezing. The cedar trees are pollinating.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Yeah, the tree pollens are starting to get to us here, too.

:zombie:  :zombie:  :zombie:

• Like 2

Has to be low carb. I think I will use some of it to make burgers. That way I can have mine as a lettuce wrap. I need an idea for the rest, though.

Spaghetti squash and meat sauce

taco salad

hash -- use whatever veggies you like

• Like 1

Well.... yeah! She's a puppy! :lol: 

• Like 1

I am going to go off on someone innocent person or perhaps a non- innocent person but over a very small thing.  My adult son needs help with a lot of little things right now but he's not cooperating with my schedule.  Not in a conscious way but in a scattered ADD way that is driving me crazy.  And the puppy, that "cute innocent puppy",  has made me chase her down the street three times in fifteen minutes now that she can go down stairs and can escape through my legs as I'm trying to carefully maneuver through the door with the recycling.  We have a gate set up.  But apparently in the wrong place.  And I realize that neither son or puppy are being "bad".  But Gah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 8

I am going to go off on someone innocent person or perhaps a non- innocent person but over a very small thing.  My adult son needs help with a lot of little things right now but he's not cooperating with my schedule.  Not in a conscious way but in a scattered ADD way that is driving me crazy.  And the puppy, that "cute innocent puppy",  has made me chase her down the street three times in fifteen minutes now that she can go down stairs and can escape through my legs as I'm trying to carefully maneuver through the door with the recycling.  We have a gate set up.  But apparently in the wrong place.  And I realize that neither son or puppy are being "bad".  But Gah! 

((Jeannie)) I completely understand the feeling!!!

• Like 3

Oh and since I'm dumping, dd's nose still hurts a lot.  I looked at her last night and it is really crooked all of a sudden and there is a big bump on the top.  Appointment with ENT who specializes in broken noses is tomorrow and can't come soon enough. 

Poor thing. I couldn't like your post, but I'm glad you're getting her in with a specialist.

• Like 3

Ds did not take the (overflowing) trash cans out to the curb as instructed last night. I didn't check this morning, because I was sick. We missed trash pickup. Ideas on how I can problem solve this, because I am exhausted and can't think straight.

A trip to the dump?

An extra trashcan?

Burn some things that can be burned?

See if some of it could be placed in a work dumpster?

Speaking on ENTs.....my dad finally got hearing aids. He has been functionally deaf for several years (hearing no mid to upper tones) and has been lip reading.  Consequently, he has been missing out on a lot of conversation for a lot of years, and has probably never heard my childrens' voices until this week. It's been interesting.

• Like 6

A trip to the dump?

An extra trashcan?

Burn some things that can be burned?

See if some of it could be placed in a work dumpster?

There's no dump that I can drive to (it's privately controlled).

We have no extra trashcan, and if we bought or ordered one, there'd be a charge.

We live in a city, no burning options are available to us.

There's no work dumpster available either.

I'm going to call and see if we can get an extra recycling cart delivered and see if we can arrange a special pickup for a charge.

• Like 2