Menu

Ignore this thread!

Comment of the day (in regards to an article called "Employers shun stay-at-home parents" on LinkedIn):

"Because it's the 21st century, we shouldn't have to stay home with kids to begin with...Go to work."

:confused1:  :svengo:

• Like 1

I actually wanted to participate in that class with my girls, AND it was at a time of day and day of the week we could theoretically make.  But with everything going on right now we can't make it reliably, and my brain is pleading "not now" in regards to adding new stuff to process.

Please keep us informed if you decide to run more of these family classes some later month.  Our schedule will lighten up sometime....

It'll come back around. If you click the "heart," it will be favorited, and you'll get a notification any time I schedule new sections. :D

• Like 1

My back hurts. My dishwasher, washing machine and slow cooker are working. FAJITAS! I'm 90 minutes behind schedule. Gug. I'm torn about taking the kids out now because we probably won't finish school if I do. Gug.

Milk is gross.

Buy cod. Salt cod. Save cash.

Thank you!  I was wondering if that might work.

• Like 1

We are on week 28. Could you just do the option where you take notes directly into the word processing doc? That’s how I always did it in college, I’d take notes directly into my outline and just make sure I wrote down the author and page number so I could cite things properly later. It made the writing go really quick to have my notes organized along with my thoughts.

Eta: or if I knew nothing anout my subject and didn’t outline first then cut and paste the notes later

We don't have enough computers about for that to work for the boys. This is basically what we are doing currently with notecards and it is driving me batty.

We will survive and I probably won't need more than a dose of antacids every day for a while.

Why index cards, anyway?  I hated using them, even when I learned in high school. I use a notebook. I had photographic memory so would remember the book I read something out of, so I wrote notes according to source, not specific topic. No, it is not efficient. But, I'm probably adhd and it's the way my brain works. Also, the way my brain works, index cards would get lost. Notebooks stay together. I mean, they are NOTEbooks...

ETA:  :rant:  :nopity:

Right there with you.  I never understood the whole card thing, especially when seeing my classmates accidentally spill all of theirs.

• Like 2

I like notecards.  :leaving:

It's okay, we still like you.  You can like whatever works for you.

Besides, SOMEONE needs to like note cards besides my Dad.

Dad likes index cards that are lined perpendicularly to the usual ruling.  They fit in his shirt pocket and are easy to handle.  I have ordered in some for him now because I can't find them in the stores near me (though maybe I somehow overlooked them).

• Like 3

At doctor with Ds assessing the damage. This will probably take all morning. (ER was just a cursory check the other night. ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Only stuff that will heal quickly.  Please, only stuff that will heal quickly....

• Like 2

Why index cards, anyway?  I hated using them, even when I learned in high school. I use a notebook. I had photographic memory so would remember the book I read something out of, so I wrote notes according to source, not specific topic. No, it is not efficient. But, I'm probably adhd and it's the way my brain works. Also, the way my brain works, index cards would get lost. Notebooks stay together. I mean, they are NOTEbooks...

ETA:  :rant:  :nopity:

Notebooks are currently what I use to keep track of things I don't want to lose. I also have a photographic memory for words and pictures. 

Notebooks will be what I transition to when we end WWS and go back to CW next year. 

• Like 2

Comment of the day (in regards to an article called "Employers shun stay-at-home parents" on LinkedIn):

"Because it's the 21st century, we shouldn't have to stay home with kids to begin with...Go to work."

I guess I am not following their logic.  The employers in question think every adult should be out of the house working, yet they won't employ people who have been stay-at-home parents?  Wouldn't they WANT to employ SAHP, to get them out of the house?

I wonder how many employers of this mindset the journalist(s) actually found, anyway.  A simple plural could mean anywhere from a grand total of two to nearly every employer.

• Like 1

I hate anyone telling me how to write. My kids are the same. Thus we are failures when it comes to the “how to write†textbooks. But we write fairly well.

I try not to tell anyone how to write. My own writing is proof that sometimes you just have to write the way your brain processes and deal with the inefficiencies in your own way. But I do like to see how other people write and look at how the system works for them. I try to present it that way to the boys--this is a way to do this and it works very well for this writer. Take what you can use and discard the rest.

• Like 5

It'll come back around. If you click the "heart," it will be favorited, and you'll get a notification any time I schedule new sections. :D

Gladly!  I will do so as soon as I figure out what I'm doing something wrong when logging in.  

#Mondayandweatherheadache

#nobraintoday

• Like 1

Of course, the good thing about trying different systems is that you figure out what you can and can't stand when it comes to planning writing that is more complicated for your particular style. I find summaries really challenging. I want to put in details, motivations, links between plot points--all the weaving that goes into the finished piece. You simply don't have time to do that in a one page summary of a 120,000 word book. So I turn to writing examples to help me plan said synopsis. I know that if the helpful advice begins with "Put these events on index cards" I might as well abandon hope before I start. I need a checklist, and that's it.

• Like 2

We don't have enough computers about for that to work for the boys. This is basically what we are doing currently with notecards and it is driving me batty.

We will survive and I probably won't need more than a dose of antacids every day for a while.

My Dad and I have been known (in years past) to annotate in books themselves (only our own copies!), and to festoon the interior of books with sticky notes.  I did come up with a strategy that sounded good to me when I started it:  Each book or reference resource had a different color sticky note.  Page numbers were noted on sticky notes with the different notes.  I could take sticky notes from different sources and put them together on a page to gather related notes and points, and then write from there.

I usually would get through most of one resource doing this, or parts of several if i was noting in more than one at a time, but as soon as it started coming together in my head I would abandon the sticky notes and start writing and leafing as I went.  

• Like 1

I guess I am not following their logic.  The employers in question think every adult should be out of the house working, yet they won't employ people who have been stay-at-home parents?  Wouldn't they WANT to employ SAHP, to get them out of the house?

I wonder how many employers of this mindset the journalist(s) actually found, anyway.  A simple plural could mean anywhere from a grand total of two to nearly every employer.

Oh, I should clarify: the quote was a response to the article. Here's the article: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/content/?keywords=Employers+shun+stay-at-home+parents&origin=FED_EMAIL&anchorTopic=750131&midToken=AQENO_jxaCSpTg&trk=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null&trkEmail=eml-email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01-hero-1-null-null-2d4y39~jedwl5ng~sm-null-neptune%2Fsearch%2Eresults%2Econtent&lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Aemail_email_feed_ecosystem_digest_01%3By7zSFrB9SnaJEmkaYsHdWw%3D%3D.

• Like 1

:banghead: Don't get me started, Renai. So, how IS that every-parent-working-no-one-at-home-to-mind-the-store-oh-what-the-heck-let-the-schools-raise-them-they're-the-professionals working out for us, anyway?

Ds had his two hour comprehensive exam, x-rays and laser treatments. Doc says that it will be at least two weeks before he can work.

:grouphug:

• Like 5

is it “buck naked†or “butt naked� I always wondered.

It's buck.

I love index cards. For all kinds of fun thing. Many uses they have.

I also love composition books. I really love composition books.

I don't like note cards but composition notebooks rock our world here. I'll open a page and date the corner and he does all of his work for the day on that page. Spelling, copywork, foreign language, a quick sketch all in one place. It's fabulous. He has some workbooks but everything that would go on paper goes in the notebook.

• Like 4

It's buck.

I don't like note cards but composition notebooks rock our world here. I'll open a page and date the corner and he does all of his work for the day on that page. Spelling, copywork, foreign language, a quick sketch all in one place. It's fabulous. He has some workbooks but everything that would go on paper goes in the notebook.

Oh wow!! That is brilliant. I need to think through that idea.
  • Like 1

Oh wow!! That is brilliant. I need to think through that idea.

Thanks. It's actually a twist on the evolution of my bulletless bullet journal. I have no TOC which might be better for older students. I will probably use John Lock's method. You might find it beneficial to use different color pens for different subjects, which I don't do.

It's a love of simplicity BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

My 17 year old cat is not doing well. 😩 She’s Just Old And decrepit and losing her mind a bit. She’s got a comfy, warm safe bed in the garage and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, but she can barely walk and is just so pathetic looking.... I pick her up and she is all bones, though she does eat and drink and there’s a poop in the litter box every day.

:grouphug:  Oh kitty. :(

I think I'm still a farm girl at heart.  I don't mind shoveling out a barn, but the thought of animal poo in my house freaks me out.  I am in awe of all of you with indoor pets. 

Our cat poops outdoors. Not indoors. I agree with you on this one. I mean... I get it and I also am sensitive to the environmental impact of outdoor cats. I just... can't deal with it.

Ds had his two hour comprehensive exam, x-rays and laser treatments. Doc says that it will be at least two weeks before he can work.

I'm so sorry. :(

:banghead: Don't get me started, Renai. So, how IS that every-parent-working-no-one-at-home-to-mind-the-store-oh-what-the-heck-let-the-schools-raise-them-they're-the-professionals working out for us, anyway?

:grouphug:

I did not have time to read the whole study yet but I suspect there is a SERIOUS design flaw here.

Never, never, ever, ,ever, do. not. tell. them. about. your. other. commitments. in. your. resume.

Nononono.

"Using an original survey experiment and a large-scale audit study, I test the relative strength of these three résumé signals."

It doesn't take a genius to know that the only resume signal you want on your resume is "I'm awesome, I'm super hard working, hire me!"

How would they know you were staying at home?

Why does she think so many women work from home and consult when kids are little? I never had any trouble getting hired in spite of low employment during my kids younger years, but I wouldn't dream of saying that I wanted to stay home. That's a personal choice. It's like saying you want to leave at five to join your ultimate frisbee team. Nonono.

What you do say? You say "I do better when I have a firm end time and I can prioritize during regular business hours, even though I can respond to escalations later if need be."

Then go play frisbee.

The SAHP equivalent to this is "I was focused on small projects while our family met the logistical needs of my partner's job, and now I'm really looking forward to prioritizing my career again!"

Of course that's not on the CV. 

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 5

About our multi-subject composition books. I had never considered how this would look for older students so here's what I would do. I would add page numbers and TOCs, one TOC per subject. This way you can see all of one subject on a page. Example:

Writing:

6 The Tiara narration

11 Outlining practice

17 History: Valley Forge

So, in theory the first page would have the student's name, grade, year and term number the second page would have MATH across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term, the third page would have WRITING across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term, and the forth page would have OTHER across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term. Other being miscellaneous items that didn't fit in the designated workbook or a subject that doesn't usually require writing.

Not everything needs to go in the TOC. If a child scribbles some notes for a side thing, doodles or needs some scratch paper you use the notebook for convenience and those items don't require documentation.

Threading is a thing. Just because one project goes beyond one day and page doesn't mean it needs two TOC entries. Example:

17 History: Valley Forge + 25

This signifies that the writing project is continued on page 25.

• Like 1

I love index cards. For all kinds of fun thing. Many uses they have.

I also love composition books. I really love composition books.

I also like index cards. Just not for writing notes for research papers... :leaving:

And I absolutely love composition books. They are a favorite thing. Things. I have a few...

• Like 3

About our multi-subject composition books. I had never considered how this would look for older students so here's what I would do. I would add page numbers and TOCs, one TOC per subject. This way you can see all of one subject on a page. Example:

Writing:

6 The Tiara narration

11 Outlining practice

17 History: Valley Forge

So, in theory the first page would have the student's name, grade, year and term number the second page would have MATH across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term, the third page would have WRITING across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term, and the forth page would have OTHER across the top and have the TOC filled in throughout the term. Other being miscellaneous items that didn't fit in the designated workbook or a subject that doesn't usually require writing.

Not everything needs to go in the TOC. If a child scribbles some notes for a side thing, doodles or needs some scratch paper you use the notebook for convenience and those items don't require documentation.

Threading is a thing. Just because one project goes beyond one day and page doesn't mean it needs two TOC entries. Example:

17 History: Valley Forge + 25

This signifies that the writing project is continued on page 25.

For older kids, 5-subject notebooks are the bomb. I like simple. There is no way anything is going to get TOCs and page numbers around here...

• Like 1

Sometimes you forget to say what time. It's like you're scared I'll show up or something. 😜

It's whenever it gets done and whenever people are ready to eat. Sometimes that's all at one time. Sometimes people heat their food up when they want to eat. We are pretty relaxed around here.

ETA: So anybody that drops by can eat whenever they like!

Only, the crisp wasn't very good. Not too sure about the oats. They seem too hearty to me. But the males in the house loved the crisp.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

I am being nice to the cat. I have given her her Cosequin and tuna and am letting her enjoy it hassle-free before I descend upon her with the Revolution to squip onto the back of her neck. She hates that stuff, but it really works well for keeping the biting critters off of her.

DH's birthday today! One present is coming tomorrow and his parents went overboard last night, but we (the girls and I) managed to have ONE present he enjoyed and wasn't expecting: a book, The Many Faces of Snoopy.

The cat has now been dosed and let outside.

Happy belated birthday, Mr. AMJ! :party:

• Like 1

Me: Speaks Spanish all morning.

Also me: Cannot think of a Spanish verb to conjugate as an example.

:blink:

That would look good if not for $&@?!$ allergies. I should look at the bright side - DS is not allergic to 2 out of the 4 ingredients! Woot!

Is egg the second? I can think of PB subs, but not egg.

• Like 3

We had Lego Lass’s birthday today. SHe made balloon animals and a cake decorated, i.e. covered completely, in jelly beans. Now that she’s 12 she wants to volunteer at the library. :)

Happy Nirthday, Lego Lass! :party:

• Like 1