Menu

Regarding cars. Yes, totally. People are always telling I can drive if I just try. No respect for cars.

We prayed for TS in church.

I've known this forever (my mother had made a cross-stitch of it) but never knew the author (her cross-stitch listed anonymous).

Now I know!

It's longer than that.

• Like 4
  • Replies 191.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

Oh my goodness! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Hope you are all getting some rest and recovery today.

Yes to the bazooka. Keep doing all the good things. You'll break through soon!

Ooooo, fun. Let's pretend! Let's pretend that all my kids are great at reading directions, will look up explanatory videos online when needed, can be trusted to check their own work and re-work missed things as necessary, and love all their subjects and can't wait to learn more about all of them. Oh, and also, don't really need me for anything. NOW let's pick out curricula!!! (Rubs hands together with glee!) :lol:

If all those things were true, I wouldn't need to pick out curricula. We would just live and learn and do projects together. Curricula is what tells me what to do because we are not self-motivated enough to do all the things you just said. We would be unschoolers if we were dedicated enough to make unschooling work. We're not, and would easily fall through to the not schooling side of the equation.

• Like 6

Columbo eats sandwiches like I do.  In a show I was watching, he took his peanut butter sandwich and put raisins on it. 

(Slache don't look.  I know that you are culinarily deprived and don't like raisins. . . ) 

One more reason to love Columbo. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Columbo eats sandwiches like I do. In a show I was watching, he took his peanut butter sandwich and put raisins on it.

(Slache don't look. I know that you are culinarily deprived and don't like raisins. . . )

I love raisins, but we can't have them in the house. My kids leave them out and then the dogs eat them. Then I freak out and spend the next 72 hours giving them activated charcoal and looking for signs of liver failure.

• Like 1

If all those things were true, I wouldn't need to pick out curricula. We would just live and learn and do projects together. Curricula is what tells me what to do because we are not self-motivated enough to do all the things you just said. We would be unschoolers if we were dedicated enough to make unschooling work. We're not, and would easily fall through to the not schooling side of the equation.

I'm hoping I don't have a repeat of last week. It was like the compliant that never stopped.  :glare: Hopefully this week's planning won't trigger a chocolate binge on my part just thinking about it.

• Like 1

It's longer than that.

Yes, it's called "Song for a Fifth Child"

Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth!

Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

Hang out the washing and butter the bread,

Sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking!

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby, loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?

(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.)

Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.

I'm rocking my baby. Babies don't keep.

• Like 7

Columbo eats sandwiches like I do.  In a show I was watching, he took his peanut butter sandwich and put raisins on it. 

(Slache don't look.  I know that you are culinarily deprived and don't like raisins. . . )

:mellow:

My philosophy is the opposite of unschooling. My son is unschooled. I don't know what happened.
  • Like 3

My baby has disembowled her lambie toy and is running like a crazed puppy throughout the house. And yes, we were just outside where she sat on the steps looking at me until I decided to come inside. . .

This is why I do not have a puppy. Maybe if there were no human babies and toddlers to keep up with...

• Like 2

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

And so funny, because not knowing the whole thing or the title, I posted the last four lines on fb with a pic of myself rocking Newborn Kid#5.   :001_tt1:

• Like 6

Perfect day:

John - traveling around the world, climb Mount Fuji and eat squid pizza, eventually seeing the whole solar system.

Mary - eating only pizza and shopping at the dollar store because she has $14 and can buy 14 things.

• Like 9

You know, I understand and appreciate the sentiment that that song is trying to convey, but.... if the bills get too past due they will shut off your electricity and water, if the cleaning, scrubbing and cobwebs wait too long CPS will come and take your kids. And the dishes eventually have to be done, or you won’t have anything to eat off, unless you only eat off paper plates, in which case you will generate a whole lot of trash which, in keeping with the theme of the song, will not get taken out, thus inviting all sorts of vermin to make their home in your domicile. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

You know, I understand and appreciate the sentiment that that song is trying to convey, but.... if the bills get too past due they will shut off your electricity and water, if the cleaning, scrubbing and cobwebs wait too long CPS will come and take your kids.

That's why I like the end. Sanitation and saftey come before fun, but fun comes before the rest.

• Like 2

So our Rethinking School perfect day results:

lego Lass wants to sleep in, eat homemade pot pie for breakfast, play legos, go to the library and get a ton of books, ride her bike down to the river and have a picnic and read, go to Irish dance, have dinner, watch I Love Lucy, play legos and read some more and go to bed.

Snugglebunny wasn’t really that into it. She just said, eat chocolate chip pancakes, read, and play.

Twilight Sparkle wanted a My Little Pony shopping spree. 😂. I had to cut her off bc she was getting so into describing it she was starting to get upset it wasn’t real.

Not much of use for me really, I guess just kind of reassuring that I am already trying to structure things so they get plenty of downtime to play and read, and no one is feeling bummed out that we’re not involved in a ton of social activities.

More results: Lego Lass needs to move in with us here. She'd fit right in! :001_wub:

• Like 3

DH says raisins are just really dry jelly, so that makes sense.

• Like 2

You know, I understand and appreciate the sentiment that that song is trying to convey, but.... if the bills get too past due they will shut off your electricity and water, if the cleaning, scrubbing and cobwebs wait too long CPS will come and take your kids. And the dishes eventually have to be done, or you won’t have anything to eat off, unless you only eat off paper plates, in which case you will generate a whole lot of trash which, in keeping with the theme of the song, will not get taken out, thus inviting all sorts of vermin to make their home in your domicile.

Don't forget the fact the she neglected to buy groceries and has nothing to feed her family.

• Like 4

Aaaaaaaack! I am trying to find Easter dresses for a 12 year old girl, an almost 9 year old girl and a 7 year old girl. I have looked at Gymboree, Crazy 8, Children's Place, Old Navy and Target - all on-line. And there's nothing. Absolutely nothing. 75% of what is out there are those cold-shoulder dresses, which do not appeal to me. I don't want too dressy, since these dresses will have to be worn for the rest of the season. And there's no real skirt/top combo I like, either.  

• Like 2

Gymnast's Perfect Day:

I would be able to go outside, play with my dog, picnic in the river, walk with my dog in the river. It would be a warm, sunny, day – not too hot, not too cold. A little breeze, birds singing, plants, flowers. (For the picnic) Sandwich, something like peanut butter and jelly, pretzels popcorn, snack, drink, water, picnic things like that. (Breakfast) – Some nice huevos con papas, tortillas, café, things like that. (What kind of things do you want to play? Who would you be with?) Play in the park. Mom, dad, sister if she’s back. Races, reading/writing as fast you can outside, painting, legos, soccer, play with Scout and Gitanita – rolling around, playing with little toys with Scout, petting Gitana.

After a while, she was talking too fast and I had to abbreviate. And I think she expects all this happen. 

• Like 7

Lands End? Like this? Coupon code LUCKY, pin 1349 for 25% off full-price items right now.

Aaaaaaaack! I am trying to find Easter dresses for a 12 year old girl, an almost 9 year old girl and a 7 year old girl. I have looked at Gymboree, Crazy 8, Children's Place, Old Navy and Target - all on-line. And there's nothing. Absolutely nothing. 75% of what is out there are those cold-shoulder dresses, which do not appeal to me. I don't want too dressy, since these dresses will have to be worn for the rest of the season. And there's no real skirt/top combo I like, either.  

• Like 3

Good ones. GF and delicious and easy, please. :)

1 2 3 not it!

:grouphug:  for you and Mr. Jean and TS. Glad he'll be okay, but I know the adrenaline is not good for anybody.

I'm trying to decide whether I feel up to going to church.

Edpo: Also who else is going to take Renai's class starting Tuesday? It needs 2 more kids to go. Vamos a hablar de la comida. A DS le gusta mucho comer, so this is my best hope for inspiring us to get more Spanish done this semester. We're going to need a tutor in the fall, I think. He says he doesn't want to switch to Japanese now. /edpo

I will run it regardless.

I very rarely cancel a class anymore. This particular one, I did move the date by a week to allow more time for enrollments, so it will run whether or not more families enroll. Besides, it's a new course, and the experiment has to begin with someone...

• Like 2

I feel your pain. 

• Like 2

I dumped all of the spoiled food.

I cleaned some of the shelves.  The fridge door was staying open longer than I like.  *Note to self.  Next time clean out the fridge before the power is restored.

I was going to catch up on laundry (even though it's not my job)*, and realized that we only have enough detergent for one load -- maybe two.  I wish people would tell me when they are opening the last of whatever. So instead of catching up. I am running one load of priority laundry.  

*Just after dd11 was born, I was diagnosed with RA.  I put dh on laundry duty "until further notice".  Further notice has not happened yet. ;)  He does my laundry and his own.  The kids take turns washing the kids' laundry.

• Like 8

I think she expects all this happen.

This was my concern.

DD’s perfect day: “spend the day in the Big City doing and seeing stuff. Eat at gluten free cafe. “. Or. “Go rick climbing. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's Rick?
  • Like 4

Edpo

For some reason I thought Conceptual Physical Science had answers to odd questions in the back, but it’s only the tests, not the exercises.

I am not sure I can make this work. :(

Eta: after some googling I realize this is bc a review says it does. 😡

Ack. I'll try to remember to see what I have. As well as to send you my review.

• Like 1

So our Rethinking School perfect day results:

lego Lass wants to sleep in, eat homemade pot pie for breakfast, play legos, go to the library and get a ton of books, ride her bike down to the river and have a picnic and read, go to Irish dance, have dinner, watch I Love Lucy, play legos and read some more and go to bed.

Snugglebunny wasn’t really that into it. She just said, eat chocolate chip pancakes, read, and play.

Twilight Sparkle wanted a My Little Pony shopping spree. 😂. I had to cut her off bc she was getting so into describing it she was starting to get upset it wasn’t real.

Not much of use for me really, I guess just kind of reassuring that I am already trying to structure things so they get plenty of downtime to play and read, and no one is feeling bummed out that we’re not involved in a ton of social activities.

Active doer for Lego Lass, right?

Contemplative thinker for Snugglebunny?

Imaginative doer for Twilight Sparkle?

• Like 1

GF, simple and yummy

1-5 stars, no stars for new recipes

Breakfast

Paleo Breakfast Casserole

Sweet Potato Quiche ****

Sweet Potato, Apple and Pancetta Hash ****

Beef

Beef tips or chuck roast in a slow cooker with cream of mushroom soup, red wine and onion soup mix. Serve over pasta, rice or quinoa with a veggie. *****

Burrito Pie **** (sub corn tortillas)

Beef Stroganoff ****

Meatloaf **** (lots of veggies in this, need to make multiple and freeze)

Pakistani Kima ****

Pot Roast ***** (my favorite recipe, not simple but leftovers galore)

Fajitas ****

Have to church. I'll be back with chicken, pig, fish, veggies and sweets.

Thank you! We'll try the kima one in a couple of weeks. I think I'm the only one who'd like the stroganoff, unfortunately.

The sweet potato quiche looks delicious, but we're used to just a frittata, which is easier, so I might wait until we have company to try that one. I do need to try the breakfast casserole (but mine will be with regular milk and butter), probably for dinner!

• Like 2

What about cold shoulder dresses with a really pretty jacket or cardigan to go over?

• Like 1

Chicken

Asian Salad

Enchiladas ***** (IP, you can use so much less cheese!)

Burrito Bowl ****

Cream Cheese Chile ****

Sweet Potato Chicken Poppers ****

Fish

Bacalhau ***** (too much chopping, we have contemplated subbing rice, but a family favorite)

Fish Pie ***** (strongly reminiscent of clam chowder)

Grilled Salmon with Avocado Salsa *****

Other Meat

Pasta Salad *** (greasy but easy and keeps well, *anything* other than egg noodles  :confused1: preferably a traditional GF pasta)

One Pot Cheesy Pasta

Next post coming up soon...

• Like 1

DD’s perfect day: “spend the day in the Big City doing and seeing stuff. Eat at gluten free cafe. “. Or. “Go rick climbing. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't climb Rick! Unless you are trying to escape zombies, then go ahead.

• Like 4