Menu

Ignore this thread!

That's us!  Chat for 15 minutes.  Anytime!  And it's free!  

Oh, wait, did you say professional?   :leaving:

I know! Actually, I'm making another big career move in part because of things I have learned about the world on the Internet, through pretty good advice. And that includes you guys!

I'm a professional.

I know. 

Professional Procrastinator might not be what she's looking for.  

I want rich successful people to tell me, "Oh yeah, I'm telling you, you're going to do great."

First of all, you don't know what she's looking for, okay. So don't make assumptions. And second I happen to be a professional of whatever anyone wants to pay me for. Especially if it involves nothing. I'm very good at that.

Slache, let me tell you, you're worth so much more than you think.

Now we're saddling up the puppy for her puppy playdate with the neighbor's boxer puppy. 

You are officially a Seattle Dog Person now.

I am having ungracious thoughts toward my neighbor, mostly along the lines of "Unreasonable Sanctimonious Twit". I probably need more coffee.

More wine. But IT'S LENT. ARGH. Day 2 for me in my March March, my own personal Lent which does not cover any holidays or birthdays.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 7

Edpo:

I keep wondering if I should post my delusional thinking on the planning threads. 

"Hi, I'm Luuknam, and I'm going to have a 6th grader next year, who won't be doing whatever I'm going to be listing for you here." Lather, rinse, repeat for 3rd grade thread. 

Sigh. It's not that they're refusing to do work. It's that I'm having trouble coming up with a realistic plan. I think reality is going to be something along the lines of "throw stuff at kids*, do the next thing, do stuff". 

*No physical throwing. Trying materials and seeing what will stick. 

Current thoughts include Hewitt Conceptual Physical Science, Algebra I, GC War in World History, English 2600, um, some sort of actual writing (CAP Narrative I???), um, yeah. Oh, and try to teach him to tie his shoes.  :banghead:  Welcome to 9th/4th/K, uh, 6th grade. Or something.

I don't have much of a clue for 3rd grade yet. Whichever LOF intermediate books will be left, LOF Fractions, LOF Decimals & Percents. CAP Fable? Science??? History??? Grammar??? Etc???

Oh, and *something* for Dutch - they should finish RS Dutch this year. Continue with guitar/violin, I guess. Probably homeschool swim&gym... not sure. Probably should try to get speech therapy going again. 

Shoot me now. 

• Like 11

Yay for puppy play dates!!

It’s raining!! I am so happy. We’ve gotten some decent rain these last couple days.

School is done for the day. DS got picked up from school. COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸. I need to work on Latin.

• Like 5

Edpo:

I keep wondering if I should post my delusional thinking on the planning threads. 

"Hi, I'm Luuknam, and I'm going to have a 6th grader next year, who won't be doing whatever I'm going to be listing for you here." Lather, rinse, repeat for 3rd grade thread. 

Sigh. It's not that they're refusing to do work. It's that I'm having trouble coming up with a realistic plan. I think reality is going to be something along the lines of "throw stuff at kids*, do the next thing, do stuff". 

Current thoughts include Hewitt Conceptual Physical Science, Algebra I, GC War in World History, English 2600, um, some sort of actual writing (CAP Narrative I???), um, yeah. Oh, and try to teach him to tie his shoes.  :banghead:  Welcome to 9th/4th/K, uh, 6th grade. Or something.

I don't have much of a clue for 3rd grade yet. Whichever LOF intermediate books will be left, LOF Fractions, LOF Decimals & Percents. CAP Fable? Science??? History??? Grammar??? Etc???

Oh, and *something* for Dutch - they should finish RS Dutch this year. Continue with guitar/violin, I guess. Probably homeschool swim&gym... not sure. Probably should try to get speech therapy going again. 

Shoot me now. 

Sounds good to me!  Be flexible.  Keep skills moving gently forward.  Let them go hog-wild on content subjects of interest.  It's all good!  Stay laid back on writing a bit longer if you like.  Is he interested in sharing his knowledge in an area of interest?  Would he like making a mini-book of WWII weapons?  Or a poster of major WWII battles?  or a presentation (using tech if you want - powerpoint?) on world leaders during WWII?  etc.  If you like CAP Narrative, great.  If not, go rogue!  

• Like 2

Shoot me now.

My brain is working slowly right now. I read "RS Dutch" and couldn't figure it out. Right Start? No that's not right. Rod and Staff? Doubtful.

Rosetta Stone. That one makes sense.

• Like 4

You know that parenting thing where all our kids are different even if they like some of the same things?  It's the same for puppies.  My neighbor was telling me about how her five month old boxer is so quiet and good after an hour of puppy play time and plays and sleeps quietly for the rest of the day.  Juliet?  She slept for about an hour and is now raring to go again. . .   

• Like 5

Hmm...let's see. There's a garden to rake, and soil to dig...

I am trying to be gracious. I have my own hormonal reasons to be easily nettled at present, and I'm trying not to be overbearing, but there is work to be done. :laugh:

But, at least one of them may consider garden work to be a reward and not a punishment...

• Like 2

Sounds good to me!  Be flexible.  Keep skills moving gently forward.  Let them go hog-wild on content subjects of interest.  It's all good!  Stay laid back on writing a bit longer if you like.  Is he interested in sharing his knowledge in an area of interest?  Would he like making a mini-book of WWII weapons?  Or a poster of major WWII battles?  or a presentation (using tech if you want - powerpoint?) on world leaders during WWII?  etc.  If you like CAP Narrative, great.  If not, go rogue!  

That's the thing... he doesn't really seem to care to do much writing. He went through a phase where he'd write Pokémon statistics and stuff, but no sentences, no paragraphs. And he seems to be done with that now. As to the bolded... it'll be 6th grade. It feels like there won't be much time to get him ready for high school level writing, though I could throw a grade 8b in there if necessary. The sentences missing words, paragraphs lacking coherence, no thought at all about communicating thoughts to the reader... it's discouraging. Employers allegedly like communication skills... his writing is not communicating, it's writing what the assignment tells him to write, but often leaves the reader utterly lost. Which obviously goes beyond writing instruction. Oh well, got to go.

My brain is working slowly right now. I read "RS Dutch" and couldn't figure it out. Right Start? No that's not right. Rod and Staff? Doubtful.

Rosetta Stone. That one makes sense.

I could see Rod and Staff Pennsylvania Dutch... which isn't Dutch though.

• Like 5

You know that parenting thing where all our kids are different even if they like some of the same things?  It's the same for puppies.  My neighbor was telling me about how her five month old boxer is so quiet and good after an hour of puppy play time and plays and sleeps quietly for the rest of the day.  Juliet?  She slept for about an hour and is now raring to go again. . .   

I am 100% sure that if I were to ever get a puppy, it would not nap, because that just doesn't happen in my family.

• Like 4

She can't turn a computer on or type and doesn't know what a jump drive is. I can't ask her work with publisher and power point and expect things to actually get done.

Because it's 9,000 years old. Technically there's a heater but it doesn't affect the offices so they don't turn it on. My boss is kind but the building is old and he only expected me to be there an hour.

I can't tell if I'm okay with this or not.

Lies have a way of being found out. Probably better to be found out sooner rather than later so they can get someone that can actually do the job when you leave. It is not your obligation to stay more time than expected because a person doesn't know what they said they knew. Stop making it so. Train her as though you were training someone who knew exactly what she said she knew.

• Like 4

Lies have a way of being found out. Probably better to be found out sooner rather than later so they can get someone that can actually do the job when you leave. It is not your obligation to stay more time than expected because a person doesn't know what they said they knew. Stop making it so. Train her as though you were training someone who knew exactly what she said she knew.

Pastor and I are dealing with it.

Is the extra worth the pain? Is it draining the church budget more unnecessarily due to the new person's lack of skills?

No. Yes.
  • Like 5

I'd like to get Juliet and Gymnast together. they each need someone that will help tire them out. If it is at all possible. (Gymnast has tired out the most hyper/active puppies, according to their owners...)

• Like 4

Ok. I'm just really annoyed on your behalf. I hate people lying to me.

Sincerely, I'm really pissed. It takes her hours what should take minutes. She said she could do power point but can't turn a computer on. She won't work without me to get started so I'm not there an hour past the kids bedtimes and then have to go back again to finish. She doesn't want more training, she wants me to train her boyfriend. No. She doesn't want the job, she wants the status, and him to do the work. No. I'm going to talk to Pastor about laying her off tomorrow. She's a liar, gossip and computer illiterate. Computer illiterate is fine but a computer illiterate secretary is not. She says she can't come back for training until after her honeymoon and then "we'll see". I don't know what the hell that means. She's incompetent, we're moving and she doesn't want more training? I can't fix this.
  • Like 2

Sincerely, I'm really pissed. It takes her hours what should take minutes. She said she could do power point but can't turn a computer on. She won't work without me to get started so I'm not there an hour past the kids bedtimes and then have to go back again to finish. She doesn't want more training, she wants me to train her boyfriend. No. She doesn't want the job, she wants the status, and him to do the work. No. I'm going to talk to Pastor about laying her off tomorrow. She's a liar, gossip and computer illiterate. Computer illiterate is fine but a computer illiterate secretary is not. She says she can't come back for training until after her honeymoon and then "we'll see". I don't know what the hell that means. She's incompetent, we're moving and she doesn't want more training? I can't fix this.

Why do people think things like this will work? Like... do they think everyone else is just sitting around? Train her boyfriend?!?

Edpo:

Current thoughts include Hewitt Conceptual Physical Science, Algebra I, GC War in World History, English 2600, um, some sort of actual writing (CAP Narrative I???), um, yeah. Oh, and try to teach him to tie his shoes. :banghead: Welcome to 9th/4th/K, uh, 6th grade. Or something.

Shoot me now.

If all else fails you could try physically throwing stuff at the kids. I don't recommend books, the books might get damaged.

Pillows, wet noodles, cups of water are all options.

(I may or may not have thrown a cup of water at ds12 today. He may or may not have quit bellyaching and thrown a cup back at me.)

• Like 2

If all else fails you could try physically throwing stuff at the kids. I don't recommend books, the books might get damaged.

Pillows, wet noodles, cups of water are all options.

(I may or may not have thrown a cup of water at ds12 today. He may or may not have quit bellyaching and thrown a cup back at me.)

If you use a ball, you could even log it as PE. Then and again, I suppose the cup of water could be logged as fluid dynamics, which sounds much more badass.

• Like 6

Why do people think things like this will work? Like... do they think everyone else is just sitting around? Train her boyfriend?!?

I think she thought Pastor does everything for the sermon and I do the bulletin. I work 4 hours a week doing the hand out (fill in the blank), power point, bulletin, and various small thing (this week I'm getting some maps together, creating Easter breakfast invitations and typing up a chart) and it takes her 4 hours to just do the bulletin so it would make sense in her mind that that's all I do.

Honestly Slache, I wonder if she is hoping to be fired. I just can't see a sane person behaving like that.

Oh. Maybe that's it. :ack2:

No, she's a spoiled brat that's never had a job even though she's 65. She wants to be the church secretary because church is a social thing to her and it would elevate her status. She keeps saying "I didn't expect to have to do this" so I really think she planned on doing extremely little and that being acceptable.

I think she thought Pastor does everything for the sermon and I do the bulletin. I work 4 hours a week doing the hand out (fill in the blank), power point, bulletin, and various small thing (this week I'm getting some maps together, creating Easter breakfast invitations and typing up a chart) and it takes her 4 hours to just do the bulletin so it would make sense in her mind that that's all I do.

No, she's a spoiled brat that's never had a job even though she's 65. She wants to be the church secretary because church is a social thing to her and it would elevate her status. She keeps saying "I didn't expect to have to do this" so I really think she planned on doing extremely little and that being acceptable.

That's not how jobs work. I wonder what getting fired will do for her social status...

• Like 2

That's not how jobs work. I wonder what getting fired will do for her social status...

The thing is, our church isn't even like that, she just thinks it is. I'm secretary and my husband is deacon. If those positions were hoity toidy we would have noticed!

SIXTY FIVE?!? The way you were talking I thought she was 15. How can you be 65 and never have had a job?

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not pissed all by myself. That would be weird...

See, I've done the job you're doing, and other stuff, and have also had to train people in my jobs. I'm really feeling your pissed-off-ness. Really. 

• Like 5

SIXTY FIVE?!? The way you were talking I thought she was 15. How can you be 65 and never have had a job?

Yeah, I was thinking early 20s or something. I was the first secretary of our church at 15. I trained myself. And did a dang good job.

• Like 5

Married young, SAHM, widowed, married again, widowed. She never needed one.

Well, that must be nice! I don't know many women who can afford that nowadays. Your husband would have to make just so much money for you never to have to take up so much as a part time job to help the kids pay for college.

Yeah, I was thinking early 20s or something. I was the first secretary of our church at 15. I trained myself. And did a dang good job.

Of course you did. I did my first job at 15... I did not do a dang good job. It was landscaping and cleaning. Not my forte.

• Like 2

Because you cared.

Well, that must be nice! I don't know many women who can afford that nowadays. Your husband would have to make just so much money for you never to have to take up so much as a part time job to help the kids pay for college.

She has 3 children and the whole family thing did not work out so I'm not sure she put much in there. This is the woman that has my children acting as flower girl and ring bearer because they will not be flying out.

• Like 2