Menu

Ignore this thread!

Got my first full rejection today. That hurt, but it was bound to happen at one point or another. Might as well get it out of the way early in the query process, right?

I'm sorry. :(

Sent to the wrong location twice, missed appointment, going home crying.

I have done that on two separate occasions... both after the age of 30.  :crying:

Yes, yes, yes.

This reminds me of a blog post I read over here last fall, just after my dh's former colleague lost his 21 year-old son to a biking accident. 

Quoted in the blog post from an article at First Things:

"But we must never allow a curriculum for school to replace a curriculum of life; schooling mustn’t take over the education of living. When it does it becomes deeply mis-educative and disenchanting. It robs our children of the present gift of life they have been given by God.

"If—heaven forbid—they die young, I hope they will have lived beautiful lives even in their youth, perhaps even more so than those who survive them."

I need to apologize because I am not passionate about education per se, but about equal opportunity for every kid. Our future is increasingly bleak for people who don't have some kind of technical skill, especially if they aren't physically strong and can't stay on their feet and that can happen to anyone. And because where I live, and in many parts of the US, the only kids who are allowed to "not be college material" are either poor, or brown, or rural, or some combination of those three. Rich white city kids are never "not college material". And I don't think that's a coincidence and I sure as heck don't think it's genetics.

But I'm sorry my anger at the failures of our system at large came out to seem like I thought individual people were failures. I think our society is failing its kids.

I'm sorry for the hurt feelings I've caused.

• Like 4

Mine is too hot and the soils are clay mixed with rocks. Not good for much. 

I really, really, really want Lady Slipper orchids, mountain laurels, rhododendrons and Iceland poppies. Yeah...

I could probably get away with the first, and maybe the second, but the last two would smother.

There are some really pretty ground covers that might work. I don't remember their names though...

• Like 1

I called the CU to find out why my "paycheck" hasn't deposited.  After several minutes on hold the gal is passing this along to the IT bunch to figure out why the automated transfer from DH's account (with this same CU) hasn't yet posted to my account.

I am officially irritated.  I have people to pay, folks!  I need those funds!

So THAT's what happened to me! I also woke early when young. It started as a necessity in college (had to catch the 6am bus - it was the first year they even had a bus! - to make an 8am class). Then became habit. Then I worked graveyard shift at the juvenile prison. No more waking early. I often desire it though. But then stay up until midnight...or later.

I actually went to bed at 9:15 last night! Aren't you proud of me? 

Very proud of you!  Did you get good sleep?

Argh! 

I don't pay a premium on stink-bugs because the boy likes picking them off. He says it's very satisfying to flick them all into his jar of soapy water. But I might pay him to do my squash and pumpkins for me.

The Boy and I would get along well. I think it quite satisfying to pick off squash bugs and toss them into my soapy water.

• Like 2

Ooo!  And my calendar says the girls start Spanish with Senora Renai in two weeks.   :party:

DD8 is excited.  She was hopping around singing the Buenos Dias song this morning, Renai.  

Lol! Don't worry, she'll learn some new ones! 

• Like 2

Very proud of you!  Did you get good sleep?

Yes! But then woke up in exactly 5 hours. I forced myself back to sleep though (didn't take much convincing), and got up at 5:20 (alarm went off at 5:10), just in time for my 5:30 class.

• Like 1

We might replant, but of course that means a long wait. But I always found all that fruit at once overwhelming. The kids won’t help pick bc they’re scared of the wasps and dh doesn’t pick, he waters. So...I’ll miss the fruit but not going out there in my pjs at dawn so I don’t get stung and picking huge bowls of it.

I naively dreamed of being some sort of suburban homesteader when we bought this place, but I’ve realized I’m a lousy gardener. I like walking through gardens, not digging in them.

You need a fruit salad tree. They are very popular for backyard farmers and people who want just enough fruit for their family to eat. We bought one from a nursery - 1 branch of peach, one of nectarine and one plum. It’s perfect. We planted a peach tree several years ago and got overwhelmed by all the peaches, so this winter my uncle cut off two of the scaffolding branches and grafted 8 sticks - apricot, 2 peaches, cherry, nectarine, and pluot. All to fruit at different times throughout the summer. https://www.fruitsaladtrees.com
  • Like 2

I've always wondered how people take dogs out daily in the Pacific northwest. I figured everyone just wore rain gear all the time. I keep picturing Juliet getting into her little tweed raincoat and matching booties before going out every few hours.

I don't even have a tweed raincoat and matching boots.  I go out in the rain.  Alone.  Ok - with Juliet.  And with the hood of my hoodie pulled over my head.  I usually am in too much of a hurry to get her out there to bother looking for my Gortex jacket. 

• Like 2

Oh, my. We're both thinking Asian.

A lot of the iPhone emoji are Asian. For instance, [emoji83][emoji84]are Japanese trolls or ogres. [emoji498]are rice balls (triangles) with seaweed.

[emoji504] are dango. (You can see them better on the iPhone screen )

[emoji503]is oden. It’s made of fish cakes, radish etc.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Develop an appreciation for hostas?

We have so many hostas. Boring....I want fruit and nuts and veggies.

We’re losing our apple, peach, and plum trees to the addition. Major bummer.

:crying:

I just signed away my rights to an annuity based on DH's pension. They said almost 90% of people take it, so its a little scary, but the math didn't seem to favor it for us. You have to pay in a lot of money for a long time with no guarantee of any benefit. Hopefully I won't regret this later. Making adult decisions is hard....

• Like 5

A homeschooling Juliet po:

So this morning I was trying to wake up and Juliet was trying to destroy the house.  So I let her trash an empty egg carton and some tissues.  My living room is an absolute mess.  But I did get to ease into my day a bit.  But now I need to add vacuuming to the list.  And no, I don't have any plans to get a roomba. 

Juliet is starting to get to the destructive phase and needs to be channeled, channeled, channeled.  We have toys.  We train.  We spend lots of time outside.  We go on walks (dd took her at 10 o'clock last night in the rain because we just couldn't stand one more minute of her energy inside).  We do kongs with peanut butter.  And play fetch.

Along with the channeled theme, I have started systematic cat training.  As in training Juliet not to chase the cat.  The chase itself is so rewarding to the dog even if I'm running after her yelling no.  Maybe partly because I'm running after her yelling no?  So yesterday I started to teach her to sit (she's already learning that command) when the cat comes near.  After a failure yesterday because I had no way to restrain the dog, I have leashed her indoors in that hour between when the cat comes upstairs to when dd wakes up and lets the cat hide out in her room.  We have taken a couple of walks down the hall to where the cat is waiting at dd's door to have the dog practice sitting quietly while I stroke the cat and tell him to stop being silly with his growling siren whenever the dog looks at him. 

• Like 6

Off of the phone with the doctor. She wanted me to be on gluten for 2 more weeks :svengo: but agreed to let me get the test now and do it again if it was negative. I don't know how long results take though. If it takes 2 weeks I may as well just be on it for the next two weeks anyway. Or risk a false negative and be done.

• Like 2

I just signed away my rights to an annuity based on DH's pension. They said almost 90% of people take it, so its a little scary, but the math didn't seem to favor it for us. You have to pay in a lot of money for a long time with no guarantee of any benefit. Hopefully I won't regret this later. Making adult decisions is hard....

Yes, this stuff is super hard because I always feel like I'm chasing the market and making the wrong decision that someone up high wants all of us to make because they want our profits.

On a related note...

I can't decide whether to go all in for a super high salary, just climb the ladder and figure out how to help later or go into a public sector position. I don't want to apply willy-nilly. I usually apply for jobs I really, really want, not to like 10 jobs and then whatever lands.

I need a professional mentor but not skeezy people who stalk me on LinkedIn.

• Like 5

Yes, this stuff is super hard because I always feel like I'm chasing the market and making the wrong decision that someone up high wants all of us to make because they want our profits.

On a related note...

I can't decide whether to go all in for a super high salary, just climb the ladder and figure out how to help later or go into a public sector position. I don't want to apply willy-nilly. I usually apply for jobs I really, really want, not to like 10 jobs and then whatever lands.

I need a professional mentor but not skeezy people who stalk me on LinkedIn.

If option 1 is a choice, take it. IMO....the elderly people I know who did #1 are secure and helping lots of people and charities. The people who took option #3 are struggling and can barely help themselves.

Unless you'd hate option #1, because a life spent hating every day is no life. But if it's meh and you have time for other worthwhile things, it's not a bad choice at all. 

That'll be $.02 in my paypal for the professional mentoring...

• Like 3

OK - I have absolutely no pride left. Someone just knocked on the door.  And when I answered it, there was a woman there looking expectantly at me and telling me that she was "Lisa".  OK?  Who's Lisa?  I had totally forgotten that I had asked for a bid on a kitchen remodel.  They had said that they would call me ahead of time and they didn't.  So I invite her into this house that is totally and utterly trashed.  Into a kitchen that isn't much better (though I was already running the dishwasher).  I was thankfully wearing my day clothes.  But I just realized that I still haven't even combed my hair. 

• Like 10

DH keeps taking Thursday off. This is the third week in a row he randomly decided to take a day to work around the house. This is fine with his job considering the amount of overtime he's been putting in. It is, however, seriously affecting my homeschool. Especially since he doesn't plan it ahead, he just decides the night before. I can't rearrange lessons with zero notice when the week is already nearly over.

• Like 4

Go JJM, go! You can do it!

Jean, way to go with the Pantz!

Hmmm, I like that idea. Snails are a money-making proposition for my kids every spring. I pay 5 cents per snail and the kids either throw them against the fence or dig a hole and bury them all. Some years they earn $5-10 each out picking snails.

That's a great idea!

I remember PNW wet as gentler than rain in the South or midwest. The first time it rained on me in Ohio it felt like someone was trying to drown me.

When I was in Denmark I wondered at how everyone would just walk or bike along in the rain until we walked around in the rain and realized a good raincoat with hood worked just as well as an umbrella with that kind of rain. We were drenched in Sweden, though.

#fartoomuchhumidity

AMJ said "fart"!

• Like 6

The flash flood alarm went off on everyone's phone while I was in Aldi. :svengo: Fortunately it has stopped raining and looks like we are close to done with the wetness for a couple days. The neighbor boy was outside when I got back and offered to help carry in boxes of groceries. :wub:

• Like 5

DH keeps taking Thursday off. This is the third week in a row he randomly decided to take a day to work around the house. This is fine with his job considering the amount of overtime he's been putting in. It is, however, seriously affecting my homeschool. Especially since he doesn't plan it ahead, he just decides the night before. I can't rearrange lessons with zero notice when the week is already nearly over.

Duct tape!

• Like 6

Ack!  I know! 

I was just informed that tomorrow is too rainy to bike to work, so dh will be home.  This is the guy who bikes in blizzards.

Too rainy??   :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if we had a house big enough to hide him in, but it's like Clifford, plopping down in the middle of a 10x14 space, and saying, "Don't mind me; just carry on."     :blink:

ETA:  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 4

Ack! I know!

I was just informed that tomorrow is too rainy to bike to work, so dh will be home. This is the guy who bikes in blizzards.

Too rainy?? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if we had a house big enough to hide him in, but it's like Clifford, plopping down in the middle of a 10x14 space, and saying, "Don't mind me; just carry on." :blink:

The funny part is if he would choose Wednesday instead, it wouldn't mess with my schedule at all. Or if he would tell me sooner so I could spread the work out between Wednesday and Friday, that would be fine. But no.

I even told him last night that we needed to do school today, and he said,"I'll be outside most of the day. I won't bother you." And he has been. The only times he's come in is right in the middle of each lesson so he can interrupt.

• Like 5

The funny part is if he would choose Wednesday instead, it wouldn't mess with my schedule at all. Or if he would tell me sooner so I could spread the work out between Wednesday and Friday, that would be fine. But no.

I even told him last night that we needed to do school today, and he said,"I'll be outside most of the day. I won't bother you." And he has been. The only times he's come in is right in the middle of each lesson so he can interrupt.

:lol:

OK - I have absolutely no pride left. Someone just knocked on the door.  And when I answered it, there was a woman there looking expectantly at me and telling me that she was "Lisa".  OK?  Who's Lisa?  I had totally forgotten that I had asked for a bid on a kitchen remodel.  They had said that they would call me ahead of time and they didn't.  So I invite her into this house that is totally and utterly trashed.  Into a kitchen that isn't much better (though I was already running the dishwasher).  I was thankfully wearing my day clothes.  But I just realized that I still haven't even combed my hair. 

Was this an already agreed-upon time and date?  Or did they just come when they were ready themselves?

Good quote, or more than you are comfortable with at this time?

Did Juliet growl menacingly and let them know she's there to guard the place?  Or did Neko do that?

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   That is very rough.

• Like 1

Go JJM, go! You can do it!

Jean, way to go with the Pantz!

That's a great idea!

When I was in Denmark I wondered at how everyone would just walk or bike along in the rain until we walked around in the rain and realized a good raincoat with hood worked just as well as an umbrella with that kind of rain. We were drenched in Sweden, though.

AMJ said "fart"!

The humidity made me do it.  C'mon down and visit, and you'll see how it is.

• Like 1

The flash flood alarm went off on everyone's phone while I was in Aldi. :svengo: Fortunately it has stopped raining and looks like we are close to done with the wetness for a couple days. The neighbor boy was outside when I got back and offered to help carry in boxes of groceries. :wub:

and  :hurray:  :hurray:  for neighbor boy!