Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm so tired I burned some of tonight's dinner. Not all of it, but perhaps I need another nap this afternoon.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, rest.

Here the kids voted for more takeout Indian food on the way home from music lessons this evening.  I'm good with that.  I have been craving the stuff.

• Like 1

Indiana has good schools. She should go there.

I don't think we've ruled anything out. You need to show me on the map where you're going.  Because if the kid doesn't want to be within driving distance of home, she'd BETTER be within driving distance of one of her ITT Aunties!!!

• Like 8

I don't think we've ruled anything out. You need to show me on the map where you're going.  Because if the kid doesn't want to be within driving distance of home, she'd BETTER be within driving distance of one of her ITT Aunties!!!

We don't know yet. :svengo:

We should know before she leaves for college.  :smash:

• Like 1

What does she want to study?

I asked the question because my DS2 is in no way ready for High School and I'm really freaking out. I don't know what to do. Technically he's an 8th grader. He's in the 8th grade SS class at church, everyone knows him as an 8th grader. But academically - he's doing 5th grade math, 7th grade LA, he dropped Latin, in Science he is still doing Apologia Young Explorers series with the rest of us and for History, he's in Nottgrass American the Beautiful, which, while it says it is for 5th-8th grade, I would say it is closer to 5th grade level. So, I'm looking at a Gap year in terms of.... let's catch this kid up. Not no academics, just not "officially high school" where transcripts and all that are involved. I think an extra year to catch him up would be very helpful, but socially it could be devastating.... or maybe not. I just don't know. And this is where I am just.... I don't know what to do. He's making progress in what he's doing, he's just slow.

FWIW, dd11 is in 5th grade for academic things but she's in 6th grade at church. In fact, a couple of her church friends are now also in 6th grade only at church and 5th grade for academics. I don't see why you couldn't have ds do grades 8A and 8B, and let him move along socially at church and whatnot.

• Like 3

Well, the Greek I got for John is only going to last a week, *but* the Greek I got for me will be totally fine for John when I need it. I thought I was going to have at least a year to fill with something but Elementary Greek is very, very doable.

We went through Elementary Greek 1 and it is a good program.

May I ask what ages?

Hmm, I think DD was in 3rd or 4th and DS was 5th or 6th. I can’t remember. I think they rush you a long a tad bit learning the alphabet, but it’s a lot of learning vocabulary, starting conjugations and declensions and memorizing Bible verses.
  • Like 1

I don't like feeling put on the spot.  A friend from my high school days contacted me wanting to know how much ds would charge for computer repair.  I think that he was hoping for a very low price.  I did tell him ds' rates, which are appropriate for the market.  Now I feel a bit funny about it.  Oh well.  I did explain that ds is working full time and is getting ready for college classes to start up again so he might not be the best person to ask.

• Like 4

Hmm, I think DD was in 3rd or 4th and DS was 5th or 6th. I can’t remember. I think they rush you a long a tad bit learning the alphabet, but it’s a lot of learning vocabulary, starting conjugations and declensions and memorizing Bible verses.

Yes, the alphabet is ridiculous, but we did Hey Andrew for alphabet, are doing Greek Alphabet Code Cracker for all the extra alphabet/stress/breathing stuff, will do Song School Greek for vocabulary and sentence structure and hopefully begin Elementary Greek in 3rd.
  • Like 1

Krissi, if you decided not to do the charter, could you just “do the next thing†and keep good records so you could decide later if you want to call it 9th grade or 8B?

I have a friend who is doing 8B for her dd even though her daughter is a good student just bc of emotional maturity.

Emotional maturity vs academic ability is what interests me about the idea of 8th grade gap year...I feel like there’s a constant tension over here bw my kids being bright and needing challenges on the one hand, and being just not emotionally more mature than average. So I’m kind of intrigued...could we mostly tread water in the unlovedsubjects for a year and really explore passions and work on exposing her to experiences to help her grow emotionally(volunteering, work)?

I will say, the idea of just doing the next thing is very appealing. Not only is he academically behind, but he is immature. He turns 14 next week, but he feels more comfortable around kids a year or two younger than he is. His best friend is a 6th grader - and the power in that friendship is equal. And he is doing great with other things. He volunteers every Tuesday morning at the church nursery during Mom’s Bible study, he loves Boy Scouts, he’s part of the fledgling junior high worship band. All these things are his own iniative. It would be great to have a third year of middle school, no credits or transcripts, just growing up a bit.
  • Like 5

I have an extra. Tell ya what, when you move to our vicinity I will get it to you. Too expensive to ship.

Too far to drive!

We bought shower board at Lowe's. Super cheap. We just slide it behind the bookcase when we're done.

Our bookcase is open, otherwise I'd do that. I've been wanting one more and more. I might have to figure something out. Do you have a stand that fits back there?

Too far to drive!

Our bookcase is open, otherwise I'd do that. I've been wanting one more and more. I might have to figure something out. Do you have a stand that fits back there?

Kentucky isn't too far. Or Indiana - we may be going to that vicinity eventually to visit my in-laws if they ever get there. You'll probably have one by then. :D Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

I messily devoured Rethinking School in a few hours. Still digesting. For fun I gave the boys the "Perfect Day" thought experiment. No surprises there.

Turtle Two: "A perfect day? Breakfast and then go golf. Come home, have a hamburger, and watch golf on television. Steak for dinner, think about golf."

Score: introverted, contemplative loner.

Turtle One: "A perfect day--okay, first, I get up when I want and make sausage for myself and maybe some Rustic Bread. Then I get the kayak and go boat all morning. Then we go to the crystal quarry and dig up crystals all afternoon. Hamburgers for lunch."

Score: Introverted, energetic doer.

Old Mother Turtle: "A perfect day is one where I don't have to get out of bed until ten. Then I have fresh raspberries, buttered toast and tea for lunch. Then I write for a couple of hours. Then I cook a small steak and steam some greens, eat more raspberries. I paint for an hour or so, then write until bedtime. Dinner is popcorn because I probably forgot to eat lunch until four in the afternoon."

Score: Tired, introverted, curmudgeonly chelonian.

• Like 7

My first little baby turned twelve today. Sniffle. Six years seems like it’s going to go by terrifyingly fast!

Happy birthday!!!!   :party:  :party:  :party:

My oldest DD turns 12 on Sunday. And we’re reading a growing up book together. This is so hard.

Happy early birthday!!!!   :party:  :party:  :party:

I want a white board. I have nowhere to put one, but I want one.

Do you have a door you tend to keep open a lot?  Or one you keep closed, but has enough room "behind" it when it is open for something flat?  I have an easel whiteboard I use near our homeschool table that I can fold flat and tuck into such spaces.

Easel board booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 1

Day 45 demolished. Sort of. I met my goal but was going to go longer. Then my knee started to buckle so never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's our Jeannie!!!!  Rest your knee, and hit it again tomorrow!!!!  Woohoo!!!!

• Like 2

I have a little one stuck to the side of my fridge. We school at the table for the most part so it’s convenient.

I have a little one. I want a big one. I'm a spoiled brat.

I messily devoured Rethinking School in a few hours. Still digesting. For fun I gave the boys the "Perfect Day" thought experiment. No surprises there.

Turtle Two: "A perfect day? Breakfast and then go golf. Come home, have a hamburger, and watch golf on television. Steak for dinner, think about golf."

Score: introverted, contemplative loner.

Turtle One: "A perfect day--okay, first, I get up when I want and make sausage for myself and maybe some Rustic Bread. Then I get the kayak and go boat all morning. Then we go to the crystal quarry and dig up crystals all afternoon. Hamburgers for lunch."

Score: Introverted, energetic doer.

Old Mother Turtle: "A perfect day is one where I don't have to get out of bed until ten. Then I have fresh raspberries, buttered toast and tea for lunch. Then I write for a couple of hours. Then I cook a small steak and steam some greens, eat more raspberries. I paint for an hour or so, then write until bedtime. Dinner is popcorn because I probably forgot to eat lunch until four in the afternoon."

Score: Tired, introverted, curmudgeonly chelonian.

Yes, I've been meaning to do this.

Do you have a door you tend to keep open a lot?  Or one you keep closed, but has enough room "behind" it when it is open for something flat?  I have an easel whiteboard I use near our homeschool table that I can fold flat and tuck into such spaces.

No, but I have a couch.

Day 45 demolished. Sort of. I met my goal but was going to go longer. Then my knee started to buckle so never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(((Jean)))

This is why I am still on Day 0 of my walking goal.  And why I carry a cane when I leave the house.

• Like 4

I was walking better today.  Much better than I was over the weekend.

No one at church tonight asked me how I was feeling.  I guess that means that I wasn't in obvious pain like I was on Sunday when everyone asked me how I was.

My standard answer is: "Hanging in there."  It's an honest answer without sounding like I'm complaining.

Oh, and my shoulder is better, too.  :)

• Like 11

Did all the things. 

Well, except the things on my Christmas Break To Do list. I did do half of it (food left at church blessing room), but then promptly forgot and drove right past the exit for Savers on my home.  Even though I'd pulled over in the right lane to TAKE the exit.  

I blame it on SWB.  She was telling the kids and me all about Cyrus, which was timely, as we just studied him in Isaiah this week.  

So I can't knock anything off my siggy.  Sorry Slashaboo. 

Edited to correct my grammar because a sentence with SWB in it should never have grammatical errors. :leaving:

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 7

I'm awake. Dh had to go to the ER with parents of a kid on his team. So he got home late, ate, and came to bed. He's exhausted, so snoring loudly. And we had a storm, so I had to close the window some (rain). I woke up hungry, so I just had a small snack and have moved to the couch.

The child who went to the ER is fine, thankfully!

:grouphug:

I hope you got back to sleep.

I should be asleep. Been listening to chemistry lectures to try to get there--usually works like a charm but so far no luck.

Stoichiometry is a fun word.

• Like 6