Menu

Ignore this thread!

Can you print things? There's gobs of free stuff on the internet. You can save some money by printing on both sides of very cheap paper.

I don't really want to waste time on fluff. I printed doodle letters so we can work on proper letter formation and Lollipop Logic because she likes it. I need to pull my Al Abacus activities out because she likes it and there are worksheets in it. And we're going to blob, partially just because it's called blobbing.

• Like 1

This is a bit different, because forgot. Because old.

Twilight Sparkle had her second Vision Assessment today. I was with the other kids again. Dh said she was almost average with reading things in vertical columns, but totally lost with reading them in rows that had things irregularly spaced. Then there was some thing with manipulating images spatially or something. Apparently it took her forever to distinguish the shapes or what they were asking or something but once she understood what she was seeing she manipulated them super fast, like 98th percentile. So, I guess basically she is a smart little cookie who REALLY needs VT? Anyhoo, they said five months worth, and dh said, “it was a little more than I expected†and if you knew how he tends to understate when he says that phrase, I just replied, “don’t tell me how much it costs, I do NOT want to know.â€

I'm really glad that your DH went. I think it's good that the doctor is reinforcing how right you were.

I just finished “Keep the Apidistra Flying†by Orwell yesterday. It was interesting.

Quoted so I could remember to check this out for Boo.

Video blogs. Vlogging. Don't even need paper. I bet she'd be good at it. Gymnast does it all the time, only I don't make it public.

Except this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ipm64kNzms4jRba601A5ipeJixkHWps89w/view?usp=sharing

:001_wub:

Ack! That was actually the wrong video. That one shows her low self-esteem being combated ("I'm amazing!").

I shared this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SEChqRLaxB-ovNOoO6XZIAYEgZUxjSwOzg/view?usp=sharing

The gap! Oh, the gap! :svengo:

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

It’s a houseplant, the symbol of English domesticity and respectability that the main character calls the “money-god.†He loathes it and tries to resist it by avoiding “good jobs†and sinking further and further into poverty and squalor. SPOILER

But he ends up getting his girlfriend pregnant and can’t bear the idea of getting her an abortion so he marries her and takes the good job and is astonished to find that he feels relieved and truly happy for the first time. So “keep the apidistra flying†in the same sense of “keep the flag flying.â€
Apparently Orwell hated contraception passionately. It’s a very interesting book about two thirty year olds finally growing up. I would definitely consider reading it with a teen, but I can understand how high school teachers would rather eat glass than assign a book whose plot could be described as “forgetting to use a condom was the best thing that ever happened to me!†😜

Ruh-roh. Note to self: Have a chat with the Boo prior to having her read noted read.

I dreamed I was screaming at people to get them to go to sleep and let me sleep. I think. Some of that might have been real, but I don't remember.  :glare:

Got a rejection this morning. I need to learn to get caffeine first before opening email.

Bazooka.

It was a very nice rejection, but still. I'm allowed to feel a little rough about it. 

Seriously. Bazooka.

Oh wow, I just read that Billy Graham passed away.

:sad: I saw that this morning. What an amazing man he was. How joyful he must have been to have been greeted with, "Well done..."

BTW: Why is it socially acceptable now to condemn certain classes of people? Why has that become a "thing," and why is that particular message being enforced in media and institutions? I find the patterns of our groupthink to be very interesting. ("Our" being of the general variety and not of the ITT variety.)

Good morning. It was a much more acceptable 4 degrees on the positive side this morning. But I'm still waiting for a better sunrise to venture outside. Because sissy.

• Like 6

I think I must be proving our stress->inflammation->weight gain hypothesis over here bc I’ve dropped sweets and been cutting back carbs and am gaining again. It’s like all the stress of the last year has finally gotten so big it’s overflowed on me and my back is a mess, my stomach hurts at night and my head hurts during the day.

If I was a trophy wife I’d send myself to a spa for a week and then get lipo. 😒

I have a friend who swears by mineral drops, especially when going through dietary changes. Might be worth looking into?

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Wednesday!!!!!!

Busy day.... School, piano lessons, Awana.

I have to make a phone call.😩😩😩😩☎ï¸â˜Žï¸ I hate calling people. It completely stresses me out.

You can do it!

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring BANANA PHONE!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X9vOEkU

#thisearwormbroughttoyoubyraffi

• Like 1

This is a bit different, because forgot. Because old.

I'm really glad that your DH went. I think it's good that the doctor is reinforcing how right you were.

Quoted so I could remember to check this out for Boo.

:001_wub:

The gap! Oh, the gap! :svengo:

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

Ruh-roh. Note to self: Have a chat with the Boo prior to having her read noted read.

Bazooka.

Seriously. Bazooka.

:sad: I saw that this morning. What an amazing man he was. How joyful he must have been to have been greeted with, "Well done..."

BTW: Why is it socially acceptable now to condemn certain classes of people? Why has that become a "thing," and why is that particular message being enforced in media and institutions? I find the patterns of our groupthink to be very interesting. ("Our" being of the general variety and not of the ITT variety.)

Good morning. It was a much more acceptable 4 degrees on the positive side this morning. But I'm still waiting for a better sunrise to venture outside. Because sissy.

I would argue that the despise of the upper classes has been public since I was a (lower class) child. I remember hearing how awful rich people are on a regular basis and believing it. Rich, of course, being anyone who wasn't us. I think this generation of blogging, Twitter and such has made us think our personal thoughts (classism, racism, anti-religous sentiment) are okay.

On the group think--I believe it is just simply easier if everything and everyone fits a category for purposes of discussion. I don't believe that everyone actually "thinks" that way, but they use the divisions to make it easier to debate. 

Might be one reason I'm ready to see that book I talked about--different sides of the spectrum coming together to discuss frugality. There's probably more common ground but it's hard to see when the divisions are fences that just get taller and broader.

• Like 3

Kernel woke up crying about 50 times last night.

This morning he is acting all cheerful and normal.

Awwww, poor baby.

And poor Mommy!! I’ll send Rocco over with the chopper. You need the do some napping on the Island. Spud will be there. She’s got rehab.😂

• Like 5

It was a very nice rejection, but still. I'm allowed to feel a little rough about it.

Not to mention the creek. I'm sorry. Someday I will finish my writing and send it off and get rejected. I fear it. I know I should not. Your posting here makes the inevitable seem acceptable.

• Like 4

Good morning. Let me just say that early morning gardening in a fuzzy robe over a t-shirt but no pants, with frost on the ground is very. . . invigorating.

Keep the Eastside awesome!!! I am a huge proponent of no-pants gardening. But have never accomplished that during winter. You are my hero.

• Like 4

Juliet is teaching me the definition of pure unadulterated joy. When she wakes up in the morning and I let her out of her crate, she is wriggling in my arms, licking my face and niibbling on my ear and she is just a bundle of pure joy that Mom is here! With her! And it's morning!

I enjoyed reading that.
  • Like 6

I'll feel better after caffeine. Or a nap. Trying to decide which one. I think I'll do the caffeine then get back on the horse and write this morning

I insisted on having full class time this morning, minus one subject (writing), which has been put off for the week.  DD13 was doing okay at the start of class time but now is really dragging.  She might have to miss out on music today, though I really must take her sister.  I have ordered lunch and nap next for DD13.

Are you doing better now?  Or is that nap still a necessity for you?

• Like 1

I think I must be proving our stress->inflammation->weight gain hypothesis over here bc I’ve dropped sweets and been cutting back carbs and am gaining again. It’s like all the stress of the last year has finally gotten so big it’s overflowed on me and my back is a mess, my stomach hurts at night and my head hurts during the day.

If I was a trophy wife I’d send myself to a spa for a week and then get lipo. 😒

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, indeed -- stress piles on literally as well as figuratively.

• Like 1

I cringe every time I see those videos though because the way she is sitting is terrible on the knees!

She is awfully cute though!  :001_tt1:

Edited, because apparently I don't know punctuation either.

I used to sit like that flat on the floor all the time when I was young.  People said I was "double-jointed" and thought nothing of it.

When DD16 was that age the pediatrician said to not let her sit "W-legs" because it was bad for the knees.  Various other professionals all agreed.

It wasn't until my 50s that I discovered problems with my knees (osteoarthritis).  Always before it was my somewhat floppy ankles that would cause me periodic "interesting moments".  They still do sometimes, but it's the knees that are more vocal now.

Speaking from experience it will be VERY hard, if not impossible, to get her to stop sitting like that.  It comes very naturally and is done without thinking.  I am not convinced that my tendency to sit that way as a child actually contributed to my current knee situation.  I blame it mostly on genetics and carrying extra poundage.

• Like 1

So, we met with the VT eye doc today and DS’s results are much improved. He gave me a few things to do at home 3x/week, but said see you in 6 months! Woot! DH was convinced they’d milk us for all it’s worth. I’m quite relieved he was wrong.

• Like 11

I think I have this, too!

It is too little studied and not understood well, and can be very debilitating when not treated.  Quality chocolate (with more flavor than wax) works best, dosing daily to several times a day.  The higher the quality the lower the amount that must be consumed.

Rodrigo has several different ways of presenting this necessary medicine, to make taking one's doses less onerous.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 6

So, we met with the VT eye doc today and DS’s results are much improved. He gave me a few things to do at home 3x/week, but said see you in 6 months! Woot! DH was convinced they’d milk us for all it’s worth. I’m quite relieved he was wrong.

Hooray!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

You are right.

Hello, I am AMJ and I suffer from chronic chocolate deficiency.

I don't know If I've mentioned it here, but chocolate craving is a sign of bona-fide magnesium deficiency. While a common mineral that is surely plentiful in most American diets, magnesium can be depleted by caffeine, alcohol, and stress. 

Magnesium can be obtained in the vitamin section. I recommend taking citrate and oxide because they absorb differently. You can't really overdose easily.

It killed my chocolate cravings. I still like chocolate but it's now like vanilla or almond flavor for me. Just a flavor.

• Like 8

I am beginning to realize that my ability to cope with adulthood is has been disproportionately focused around learning to endure pain and dissatisfaction, rather than finding ways to enjoy things. I am tired of being unhappy but I am also stuck in a situation in which being the best person I can be requires me to forego most things that make me happy (solitude, quiet, art, and service to the poor). And nobody understands this in my family. They think I am setting up this life of activities and structured time in which they are off their screens bugging me for myself.

Posting here because I'm sure you'd understand.

• Like 9

I am beginning to realize that my ability to cope with adulthood is has been disproportionately focused around learning to endure pain and dissatisfaction, rather than finding ways to enjoy things. I am tired of being unhappy but I am also stuck in a situation in which being the best person I can be requires me to forego most things that make me happy (solitude, quiet, art, and service to the poor). And nobody understands this in my family. They think I am setting up this life of activities and structured time in which they are off their screens bugging me for myself.

Posting here because I'm sure you'd understand.

Sounds like you were born to be a woman of leisure.

Rejection isn't so bad. It's not fun--but it is an inevitable part of putting yourself out there for sale. At least the vast majority of agents aren't sending rejections like, "Worst story ever!" and "How did this get into print?" and "The author should be ashamed of herself."

So rejections prepare you for excoriating reviews.

• Like 3

I couldn't be at my best without writing, art and reading. And even with those, it's a hit or miss deal. :laugh:

ETA: I do get it, though. I've been getting the "Why do we have to do school" almost every day, accompanied by loud groans, moans and angry snaps and snips. The temptation to rap the shells in front of me and remind them that I don't actually derive enjoyment from inflicting curriculum on my offspring is very strong.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Sounds like you were born to be a woman of leisure.

Well, I had a great career in public service... I know some people think that's a joke, but working in the public sector I can assure you all, tech wastes far more money and works far more slowly than the government.

The primary difference is that they are solving smaller problems and having more meetings about it, and therefore money keeps swirling around.

I wouldn't give Microsoft a penny to implement a public works project.

• Like 2

When I taught school, I had some kids grumble when I assigned research papers.

I told them that I assigned research papers because it was good for them, not because it was fun for me.

I told them that they had to each write one paper, but I had to grade 120.  "Trust me.  If it wasn't important for you to learn how to do this, we wouldn't be doing it."

• Like 8

For those with bad reviews of Detectives in Togas, why did you consider the writing clunky? I have a good friend in the querying trenches with an early middle grade novel, and I want to encourage her to keep her style.

We thought Detectives in Togas to be hilarious.  I don't remember the writing to be clunky but then I wasn't looking for smooth prose either.  It has a snark to it that appeals to some of us stuck in the snarky part of youth. 

• Like 3

I used to sit like that flat on the floor all the time when I was young. People said I was "double-jointed" and thought nothing of it.

When DD16 was that age the pediatrician said to not let her sit "W-legs" because it was bad for the knees. Various other professionals all agreed.

It wasn't until my 50s that I discovered problems with my knees (osteoarthritis). Always before it was my somewhat floppy ankles that would cause me periodic "interesting moments". They still do sometimes, but it's the knees that are more vocal now.

Speaking from experience it will be VERY hard, if not impossible, to get her to stop sitting like that. It comes very naturally and is done without thinking. I am not convinced that my tendency to sit that way as a child actually contributed to my current knee situation. I blame it mostly on genetics and carrying extra poundage.

I think it has to do with a weak core or something, making it easier to sit that way.

Gymnast actually very rarely sits like that, which is why it surprised me. I noticed it while recording, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to interrupt her presentation. But, yeah, it bugs.

• Like 1