Menu

Ignore this thread!

But yes, vote.  And educate ourselves about the candidates and issues on which we are voting.

I borrowed Sowell's Basic Economics, Fifth Edition from my Dad.  Having read through the prologue and Chapter 1 I have also purchased it on Audible and told both girls to download it to their devices and listen to the Prologue and Chapter 1 by Monday.  DD16 starts studying economics Monday, but I think I want DD13 tagging along on some of this book.  I'll accept reading the print or listening to the audiobook (it's unabridged).  

I think these studies will lead into some interesting discussions as we examine some of the current stuff on the upcoming ballots around here.

I :001_wub:  Dr. Sowell. Have you read any of his writings on child development/late talking children?

ETA a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Syndrome-Bright-Children-Talk/dp/046508141X

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

Yay?  (for the clearing out)

The one that rejected me has a very low rate of taking on new writers, and they say that specifically at the agency website. I wanted to give it a try.

But it's easier for me to keep track of thins when I don't have a ton of letters out. Right now I have eight out and it will be ten later this week. That's about as many as I can keep up with at a time.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

For years I yearned for kids who would play happily in the yard while I gardened.  But, they would whine that it was too hot.  Or too cold.  Or too windy.  Or too boring.  And I couldn't garden for long stretches anyway.  But now I've discovered the secret.  Get a "kid" who needs to potty outside.  Then garden for short bursts while you wait for the magic to happen.    There you go.  Jean's Top Secret Guide on How to Garden and Potty Train.  Pure gold, this is. 

• Like 6

I hate it when you look at lists and things like, “15 things you can do today to save yourself all this $$†And i’m Already doing all of them. The only time I go to Starbucks is when I have a gift card. We don’t have cable, my car is 14 years old, we rarely eat out and except for doing this StitchFix thing, which I now do quarterly, most of my clothes come from Costco or Walmart.

You need a SAH job writing stupid columns about 15 things you can do today to save yourself all this money.  

• Like 3

I have worked for some uber rich people back in the day.  The kind of people who had their house featured in Architectural Digest.  For the most part, they were just people.  With problems.  And good points. And lots of money. 

I love those big, beautiful houses. I had lots of rich friends growing up, and I'm from Palo Alto so rich was really rich. My friends used to take me to theme parks and their parents would take me back to school shopping "for fun". One even wanted to take me to Hawaii but my mom said no. But those weird, huge, custom houses? So cool. With movie theaters and basketball courts in the basement. I would love a basketball court in the basement!

Bc it’s more socially acceptable to describe yourself as a SAHM than a trophy wife/socialite?

Eta: I don’t mean that as a slap, but just trying to describe what prairie said better about women who have a lot of social obligations bc of their dh’s status and their financial position and who are under enormous pressure to look a certain way.

I would call myself a trophy wife! I think I'll start doing that.

• Like 2

Ds3 is wearing batman undies and has TWO stickers on the "Keep 'em Dry!" chart.   :hurray:

59 degrees today, so before bringing out the superhero undies, we spent 4 hours at the playground.  Tomorrow will be even warmer, and then Thursday and Friday bring snow.  

• Like 10

I :001_wub:  Dr. Sowell. Have you read any of his writings on child development/late talking children?

ETA a link:  https://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Syndrome-Bright-Children-Talk/dp/046508141X

Oh my goodness. Thank you. Randomly jumped to a page in which he explains that a lot of "rigid thinking" attributed to children who are said to have ASD,  can actually be rigid thinking on the part of the adults.

:001_wub:

And he goes on to point out that hyper-attentiveness to projects of interest and non-attentiveness to areas not of their interest is very common in "hyperlexic" children? Never heard of hyperlexic. 

I might just buy that book. 

Re: SAHM vs trophy wife... Trophy wives don't stay home with their kids. The people in this category are not SAHMs, they are moms of course but if you don't stay at home to care for the kids you don't get the "SAH" title. You're a lady of leisure.

• Like 2

Memorize poems? Don’t buy anything, just look up some classic children’s poetry. If she’s writing she could do it as copywork, maybe. Memorize the Our Father or other scripture? Make “pattern caterpillarsâ€: you draw a cute head and she decides on a pattern (red cicle, two blue traingles, one purple heart) and she draws out the pattern several times to make a body. Scribe a story for her and have her illustrate it.

She memorises poems, scripture and a few other things, but she wants paper school. She doesn't write and does math orally so blah.

Oh my goodness. Thank you. Randomly jumped to a page in which he explains that a lot of "rigid thinking" attributed to children who are said to have ASD,  can actually be rigid thinking on the part of the adults.

:001_wub:

And he goes on to point out that hyper-attentiveness to projects of interest and non-attentiveness to areas not of their interest is very common in "hyperlexic" children? Never heard of hyperlexic. 

I might just buy that book. 

Re: SAHM vs trophy wife... Trophy wives don't stay home with their kids. The people in this category are not SAHMs, they are moms of course but if you don't stay at home to care for the kids you don't get the "SAH" title. You're a lady of leisure.

But... but I'm a trophy. I'm even shiny.

If you don't mind a mix, I have a huge binder dull of Singapore math sheets, handwriting stuff, and several other things. I made it for Landon's k I think.

Nah, it wouldn't be worth shipping. The Doodle books will get her beginning in writing and Lollipop is fun. I think I'll get her ready for Miquon now that she's nearing that age. She's mathy and arty whereas John was writing and language centered. He could *do* Miquon, but not benefit from it.
  • Like 1

The mail-lady was our friend today. My Fitbit came. Yay! Two shirts I ordered DS came, so he's happy. (he picked them out himself and did a pretty good job) Bike parts came for DH, so he will be happy and a book I ordered for the "Current Events" requirement for my Reading Challenge came today and I'm very excited about reading it. It is quite different than something I would ordinarily choose. It's called "Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea",http://nothingtoenvy.com/ It looks really good. Should be an interesting counter-read to another good book I am reading, but it is very difficult - "The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment" by Jeremiah Burroughs, which fulfills the "Book by a Puritan author" requirement.  Oh, and I also got "The Care and Keeping of You" for DD and me to read together. :scared: 

• Like 6

This is my cousin. They started out as normal people, and then her husband was a tech guy (or something, we do not keep in touch) for a start-up that became wildly successful and got sold to someone like Google or something and they are now filthy rich. But, from what I hear, they are not terribly happy.  :bored: 

John used his new Japanese workbook to create what I call a noun story where he strings a bunch of words (mostly nouns) together to create a story. Today's was red ants large amount picnic ruined. When Matt got home he ran to him and said "Can I read you my new Japanese story?" and he said "Sure," at which point John realized he couldn't actually read what he had written. He was so disappointed. It was so cute, but in a sad way.

• Like 2

No, I hadn't.  All I know about the guy is my Dad is quite impressed by his Basic Economics, and that book is well-talked-about.

We've had power surges on and off this afternoon. There's been a bit of wind.

Yup, there's some weather blowing in down here.  The winds have shifted and clouds are now coming from the south-southeast.

• Like 1

Memorize poems? Don’t buy anything, just look up some classic children’s poetry. If she’s writing she could do it as copywork, maybe. Memorize the Our Father or other scripture? Make “pattern caterpillarsâ€: you draw a cute head and she decides on a pattern (red cicle, two blue traingles, one purple heart) and she draws out the pattern several times to make a body. Scribe a story for her and have her illustrate it.

Robert Louis Stevenson's The Swing.  DD13 memorized that back in first grade for an in-school speech competition and ended up being one of the kids sent to the next level speech meet.  I have always loved that poem!

Mooies wants more school because she's old now.  :001_rolleyes:  :crying:  :willy_nilly:

I have Doodle Books and Lollipop Logic. It has to be paper, I don't want to spend money and we've already done MEP Reception. Any ideas?

The Learning Through Sounds and Helping Yourself sort of things from Pathway Readers will feel like Big Kid School.

• Like 1

I'm limited because of low ink.

My ink refills are like $6. A hive member talked me into this printer. One of my best investments ever.

We blob mapped some. Dc loved it!

Yes, I think that's what we'll think. And it can be as academic or art centered as they want so no pressure.

Also because we're on vacation, sort of, but I'm also working and I had to work ALL DAY though I'm officially supposed to do half days!

This has a tendency to happen with half days.  I hope you get more of your vacation time to yourself and your family.

• Like 1

I have a color laser printer.  :hat:

And it needs one particular part upgraded. I installed it myself, but it didn't work. So I took it to the shop and they told me to buy another printer.  :cursing: I bypassed the update and it's still working fine, thank you.

#itwasonsale

#toocheap

• Like 4

Day 37 step goal done. I am way over my step goal but while I get a lot of steps with the puppy, I miss walking at a faster pace for even a half hour. I might flare a lot from this. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooray on the goal!  And I hope you don't flare.  Perhaps puppy kisses can help ward off flares?

• Like 1

Went to writers' meeting and got to read tonight. Nobody made any notes on their copies. I asked if there were any problems. 

"No--just too interested in what happens next to think about what might be wrong with it."

Okay, then.

:laugh:

• Like 1

We dinnered. Quick Chicken Picatta. Because lemons. 

It was good.

Kitty is crying outside my window. She's not happy. She can't come in because fleas. We even gave her a flea treatment, but there are still a few fleas in the house. I will wait until the end of the month when we can give her another treatment.

It is not good.

I was a nanny for awhile.

Dh was raised by a nanny. He called her "mom" until he was 5 or 6yo and had to go to the ER and kept screaming for mom until they got the nanny. MIL was right there. :svengo: After that, the nanny insisted that dh call her by her first name. She was a wonderful woman. We got to be at her 90th birthday party in FL just a few months before she died in her homeland of Jamaica. (Dh had a Jamaican accent until he was about 10yo. :D )

• Like 7