Menu

Ignore this thread!

Edpo:

I'm contemplating Conceptual Physical Science by Hewitt for Celery next year. He said he wants Astronomy, but naturally, there are no decent Astronomy textbooks at his level - it's all just living books and kids stuff, or AP/college level, which would be (seriously) pushing it. I know I could just do living books, but I'm thinking maybe trying a textbook would be good? The last 3 or so chapters of that book are about Astronomy, and I'm thinking I could probably do those first... 

Videos are available for each chapter for free on the website. https://conceptualacademy.com/textbook/conceptual-physical-science

• Like 2

I have a boring gardening journal. The first thing I did was find the planting guide from our county extension office. It was the first year (or maybe second) I was going to plant, and thought I should know something about the area. I have a tiny journal, so shrunk down the pages, printed it out, and glued them in the first pages.

After that, it was just a matter of deciding what I wanted to grow and where. I can tell where I started reading "Square-foot Gardening," "Lasagna Gardening," or "Corn loves Tomatoes" (or something like that).

I have lists of what I was thinking of growing, where I bought seeds, but mostly just the diagrams where I plot where I was going to put everything. Those are in pencil because...things happen. Every once in a while I have a note like "Japanese black tomatoes were prolific!"

ETA: I still have and use the same journal. I started it around 2005 or so.

:wub:

• Like 2

I’m drinking the poopy bone broth. (Not literally poopy). I blame Slache.

I’m not sure that I am going to continue to force myself to do this. I still don’t see any payoff for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps you could find out what in the broth is supposed to be helping you and acquire the resource another way?

• Like 1

Good morning!

Slept poorly because of junk dinner - frozen pizzas, chips, and ice cream. Today I fast and will sleep better.

(((Jean))) Can you add some Thai spices or something to make the broth tolerable? I don't expect that you'd be experiencing any noticable improvements this soon.

We have a normal morning of lessons and a busy afternoon - music lessons earlier than usual, children's choir in two different locations than normal, dinner in the van, boy scouts, and book discussion at church. There are several things that were supposed to get done yesterday and will definitely not be getting done today either. Maybe tomorrow.

Lynn, don't take risks on treacherous roads!

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

I bought bone broth 2 weeks ago. Haven't been able to make myself try it yet.

It's.Not.Scary. Dude. You're a great cook. Just make a reaaaaaaallllly good beef soup stock. That's it. That's all it is. Get soup bones from the butcher, toss them with oil of choice and some seasoning (maybe with some chopped onion, garlic, and celery) and roast 'em, low and slow. Toss it all in the instant pot (or the stock pot, should you want to go old school [and hang out in the kitchen for a long time]), add water, adjust seasonings to taste, and cook it for the appropriate time.

Fab.U.Lous. (I find storing it to be a bit of a pain, though.)

The stuff from the store? Probably just boiled down broth-from-the-container-next-to-it.

Yes. I noticed an entire shelf of collagen products at the vitamin store the other day.

My mom takes the collagen in pill form. Her skin is still fragile, but her hair and nails grow like crazy!

Angi, if you do bullet-proof coffee/rocket fuel lattes, you can add a scoop of collagen powder to that. Ditto to smoothies.

I’m sick. Not bad sick. It’s quite light as illness goes, but it’s there.

See? The bone broth is holding the plague at bay!

• Like 5

Good morning!

Slept poorly because of junk dinner - frozen pizzas, chips, and ice cream. Today I fast and will sleep better.

(((Jean))) Can you add some Thai spices or something to make the broth tolerable? I don't expect that you'd be experiencing any noticable improvements this soon.

We have a normal morning of lessons and a busy afternoon - music lessons earlier than usual, children's choir in two different locations than normal, dinner in the van, boy scouts, and book discussion at church. There are several things that were supposed to get done yesterday and will definitely not be getting done today either. Maybe tomorrow.

Lynn, don't take risks on treacherous roads!

Coffee!

Ack!  I did.  If I had known how bad our 10 mile country road going into town would be, I would not have taken them.  Very glad to be safely back home.  Now I need to recover from the adrenaline dump.   :glare:

ETA:  It's a Remember the Rules BOOYAH!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

Good morning, ITT. I have coffee.

My illness is not a cold or the flu. Just a sinus infection caused by allergies. I will not die to death.

We have school today, and I am going to try to Zumba again tonight. Maybe some physical activity will help clear up the yuckiness.

• Like 6

I am almost desperate enough for good cornbread to buy a package of not-certified GF cornmeal. :glare: I made up cornbread with a GF mix, grumbling the whole way, and I can tell by the way it feels on the toothpick that it's going to be dry, crumbly and not good cornbread at all. I want good cornbread, durn it! :mad:

Why nobody in this town has a single package of GF cornmeal, I don't know.

I’m drinking the poopy bone broth. (Not literally poopy). I blame Slache.

I’m not sure that I am going to continue to force myself to do this. I still don’t see any payoff for it.

I used to make bone broth all the time in the instant pot and use it for soups. Can you use your bone broth to make a good chicken noodle or something? My mom used to make me eat plain broth as a kid when I was sick and it was disgusting, but somehow it's good when mixed as the base for soup. 

Wewere having morning time. Sorry.

The weather is nice so I have to walk the kids but Matt said he would go with us when he gets home. Ever since Alex started walking the entire trail I've liked having an adult on each side. The ends aren't dangerous but can result in scraped knees and small tumbles.

So, this leaves me the entire day to clean the master bedroom, both bathrooms, do seat work, memory work and a 45-minute chest and back workout. I slept through my morning routine so I have to do my Bible, Greek and Spanish.

• Like 3

I just spent too much $$$ at a crunchy vet to help my cat with behavior problems and mood issues. I'll try her stuff because I'm desperate but it's the first time I've had any medical professional talk to me seriously about chi and how anger is in your liver and stuff like that. They used essential oils on my dog's ears and sprayed the room before taking her blood and surprisingly she didn't flip out like a demon dog when they drew the blood like she usually does, so maybe there's something to it. I was having a hard time breathing and seeing by the time I left because too much smells.  

• Like 3

I used to make bone broth all the time in the instant pot and use it for soups. Can you use your bone broth to make a good chicken noodle or something? My mom used to make me eat plain broth as a kid when I was sick and it was disgusting, but somehow it's good when mixed as the base for soup. 

I have limited time and stamina.  The only reason I have finally listened to the chorus of "drink the bone broth"  people (but not the "use the essential oils" people) is because there is packaged bone broth that I can get at the store.  I am not going to make my own.  I do make soup on occasion.  And I use broth in it.  But I am not going to make daily soup.  My family is not going to want daily soup and I am not going to add a chore that doesn't benefit everyone.  I also don't need the calories from an actual soup.  My problem with the bone broth is that it has a oiliness to it that I do not enjoy.  Another issue is that after 20 days straight of it, I'm sick to death of it.  I would feel the same about daily ice cream after awhile, I think. 

• Like 2

Another issue is that after 20 days straight of it, I'm sick to death of it.  I would feel the same about daily ice cream after awhile, I think. 

It's definitely not coffee.

I agree the bone broth is oilier than regular broth. I couldn't drink it straight either.  :ack2:

• Like 3

DD13 is still battling the nasty flu here.  I have let various extracurriculars know we have returned, but we are staying away until the flu has been vanquished from our abode.

Dad is settling into his new place okay, though there's a lot of toting back and forth of stuff by me (that's okay, I expected that).  What he likes to do is go visit with people over breakfast in the dining room, then order his lunch for take-away to bring back to his apartment.  He turns said lunch into lunch and supper (he says they give him a lot of food), and holes up during his usual rest-at-home hours.

Dad's state of confusion before, during, and now (recently after) the move means he doesn't always know what to expect when I come over, even when I tell him exactly what we are doing when I get there.  Mondays are his bad days, and today is no exception.  Today he couldn't understand "TV", but he could "television".  I will need to remember this, and to explain to DH and my kids that if Grandpa J. doesn't seem to understand one word or phrase they can try another; sometimes his brain has simply mislaid a term for the moment.  I expect as we finish getting certain things set up and Dad gets rested up and settled in this will improve; right now he is clearly still recovering from the exhaustion of tearing his place of 34 years apart and moving.

I still have a lot of Dad Project tasks to be done away from Dad, and this will be an on-going situation.  I have, after being a couch slug all weekend (desperately needed), started to do some things to get back to some normal around here so we can work out what our new normal is going to be.  These efforts are a bit hampered by DD13's flu, but we are going with the flow.  Right now she can't even speak.  I would love to hug her and hold her, but I have to maintain some separation since I'm still visiting Dad frequently -- mustn't carry it over there.  DH and DD16 are doing what they can to help DD13, and DD13 and I swap air hugs from across the room.

I am very far behind in ITT, but I am reading posts when I can to catch up.  I know really I don't have to, but I have missed you all and I want to know what I have missed.  Hugs to all of you!

• Like 8

DW keeps talking about buying a house in this school district if we're buying a house. Not because she loves the school district, but because it's close to work and in the city etc. I keep telling her that I do *not* want to buy a house in this school district, because there's no way I want to send the kids to school in this district. Not that I have plans to send them to school, but I'm burnt out, have been burnt out for a couple of months, and I hate being trapped, looking after the kids almost 24/7 with almost no relief. 

At least they'll get older, soon old enough to stay home alone together. But still.

• Like 5

DW keeps talking about buying a house in this school district if we're buying a house. Not because she loves the school district, but because it's close to work and in the city etc. I keep telling her that I do *not* want to buy a house in this school district, because there's no way I want to send the kids to school in this district. Not that I have plans to send them to school, but I'm burnt out, have been burnt out for a couple of months, and I hate being trapped, looking after the kids almost 24/7 with almost no relief.

At least they'll get older, soon old enough to stay home alone together. But still.

Having decent options for school is a definite plus.

• Like 3

The pears I painted look yummy. They need more red highlights and some deepening of shadows, but they need to dry a little bit before I can lift highlights and then paint negatively.

What is painting negatively?  I'm pretty sure that it doesn't mean painting while having a bad attitude....

• Like 2

Having decent options for school is a definite plus.

Even just psychologically, you know? As-is, I feel I have no choice but to keep them at home, because private school is $$$$+, and they're just so 2E and all that, which would be rough in any district, but this district? Nope, can't imagine that working. Plus, in this district there's no way to know what school the kids would be in until you actually try to sign them up for school, since we're not zoned for schools. So, they'd just end up in whichever classroom there happens to be space left, quite possibly at different schools on opposite sides of the city. 

• Like 1

I just spent too much $$$ at a crunchy vet to help my cat with behavior problems and mood issues. I'll try her stuff because I'm desperate but it's the first time I've had any medical professional talk to me seriously about chi and how anger is in your liver and stuff like that. They used essential oils on my dog's ears and sprayed the room before taking her blood and surprisingly she didn't flip out like a demon dog when they drew the blood like she usually does, so maybe there's something to it. I was having a hard time breathing and seeing by the time I left because too much smells.  

This diffuser is great. Seriously, it's magic. When we brought the Princess in from the barn, she was a freaked out scaredy cat. For months. The Feliway diffuser and spray was MAGIC.

:blink: ETA, you know, the link.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 2

I mean, putting a 4'3" 10.5yo kid who likes to correct people over unimportant things (yes, trying to break him from that "well actually" behavior, but, you know, ASD) into an inner city 5th grade classroom in the middle of a school year... may not be the recipe for success.

• Like 3

Nor a 7.25yo working on a 3rd-4th grade level but frequently having tantrums, meltdowns, complains about smells, and sounds, etc into a 2nd grade classroom (which is where he'd be by age, because of late cut-off in NY).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

High school science labs aren’t that bad. Many of them are actually repeats of what we did when they were younger. And for some very involved things we watch virtual labs on the internet. Teachers in ps do this too so I am not some amazingly lazy slacker. Science is still learned.

What do you use for virtual labs?  I have got to salvage both biology and botany labs somehow, and virtual might help.

• Like 1

School planning for next week has been finished. I anticipate much groaning, whining and snapping over the full schedule after almost a month of light or no work. Such is life. I will get some good movies and snacks to placate the Turtles.

I need to put the grocery list together next so DH can shop tomorrow.

I also want to make a pot of potato soup for tonight. I'm feeling distinctly tired and unwell. Got to hold on for one more day...one more day...

I anticipate here much groaning, whining, and snapping as we attempt to drag ourselves back to some semblance of a full schedule, too.  Including from me. 

I have, however, scheduled a shorter massage for tomorrow morning and a longer one for a week from tomorrow.  I have now gone 2 months (at least) with no massages, and have done a lot of back-breaking (and spirit-breaking) work in that time.  It is time for recovery to begin, and I will start mine with massages.

• Like 5