• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Which is what I can't take.

DH swears by tessalon perles; have you tried those? I don't believe in OTC cough suppressants- I don't think there's any real data showing any of them work. I take benadryl instead.

Good points.  I'm okay with going to good enough.  (I longingly read suggestions from a "blue collar curriculum" blog this summer, lol).  I'm okay with good enough being semi-college prep and semi-not college prep (college prep can be difficult to nail down, imho - such a wide range....)

Yes.

I worked hard in school.  I'm definitely lazier now.  And that's part of it.  I would like to find some sweet spot (perhaps non-existent) where she's self-motivated.  I'm tired of what *I* have to do to get her through her work.  (Oops, did I just reveal the gender of the child in question, lol.)  

Then quit doing it and let her experience the consequences now. If it helps, DS was a lot like that until this year. He didn't "believe in grades" and so did just enough to pass the class when he could have excelled. He pulled off As and Bs in almost all the classes in the end, but had some rough quarters where he got Cs and some weeks when his grades were even below that. He wasn't allowed to take any AP classes this year because they required As and Bs in all the previous year's quarters and not just the year end grade. That sobered him right up. He's 16. One of the reasons he went to public HS was because I was tired of nagging him to perform. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 3

DS's Spanish teacher just called to tell me that he is by far the best student she's seen in years and is so polite, conscientious, pleasant, and hard working.  :001_wub:

It's a miracle. Could it be that all my hard work is paying off and he's brushed off the teen boy brain fog he's been in for the past few years? He's always been polite, at least to teachers, but the hardworking and conscientious is new. That was so nice of the teacher. 

• Like 9

DS's Spanish teacher just called to tell me that he is by far the best student she's seen in years and is so polite, conscientious, pleasant, and hard working. :001_wub:

It's a miracle. Could it be that all my hard work is paying off and he's brushed off the teen boy brain fog he's been in for the past few years? He's always been polite, at least to teachers, but the hardworking and conscientious is new. That was so nice of the teacher.

:hurray:

• Like 1

What I do for cold and cough.:

Nasal saline rinse. It helps with drainage. The salt shrinks tissues and that helps with drainage as well.

Throat Coat tea. Herbal and soothing.

Zinc

Curcumin (anti inflammatory substance in turmeric. Helps with inflammation especially in chest.

Oregamax- capsules. Anti viral and anti bacterial properties.

Mucinex but not the DM kind. I do not like to suppress coughs but want to open things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Part of my thing about pushing my kids is, if I let up, what would they do with their time? Probably spend tow or three hours a day watching my little pony instead of one. It would be different if there was some pasion they couldn’t spend enough time on bc they had too much school. Also, I think sometimes the whining is less a cry for help and more a “pay attention to how hard I’m working and what a martyr I am†because I like the attention...sort of like when I complain...

It's your DH's fault.  Indubitably.

You can quote me on this.silly-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 5

I think I bring this topic up at least once a quarter (at least in my head, if not actually in a post)....  what's your point of view about the child (or children) in your life who do not push themselves to do hard things?  How hard do you push them?  Or do you find some activity where they're willing to let someone else push them (have yet to find that....). Or do you find a path of lesser resistance for them - mostly referring to academics here - because that's just the way they "are."  

That's the million-dollar question, isn't it? I think it depends on the kid and the kid's age, to some degree. 

Good points.  I'm okay with going to good enough.  (I longingly read suggestions from a "blue collar curriculum" blog this summer, lol).  I'm okay with good enough being semi-college prep and semi-not college prep (college prep can be difficult to nail down, imho - such a wide range....)

If only we knew what the future will bring. It's so hard to predict what "good enough" will even be in 20 years or w/e. I think it'll be important to be highly skilled in something (which doesn't have to be something college - it could be something blue collar - being the lead plumber on some big housing or industrial project would probably be just fine for example), but I also don't want my kids to be completely pigeonholed, because sometimes certain jobs or even entire industries get automated away (I doubt plumbing is going to be completely automated away in the next 20 years, but it's so hard to predict the future). So, I want them to be highly skilled in something, but yet have a good enough education overall that they could potentially make a career change if their job/industry goes poof when they're 30 or 50 or w/e. Plus, of course, have a good enough education to be a well-informed citizen, and to be a good parent, etc. And it'd be great if they could be nice people with good character too (good character, of course tends to help with all of the above anyway). 

It'd probably be good if I could be a little less pessimistic about the future (of the world). 

• Like 3

And I just coughed so much I threw up. Again.

I'm on tessalon perles too. That's about the prettiest medication I've ever taken. I just wished they worked a little better for me.

FWIW, DH occasionally develops an insanely persistent cough during an illness.  The only thing that will stop it is codeine.

• Like 1

The problem is that I think the proportion of "have nots" is likely to increase in the next few decades, and quite possibly the difference between the haves and have nots might get bigger too. "Good enough" becomes hard to define in that scenario.

I understood Lynn's post to be referring to academic outcomes.  Full stop.

• Like 2

And I just coughed so much I threw up. Again.

I'm on tessalon perles too. That's about the prettiest medication I've ever taken. I just wished they worked a little better for me.

Wait - aren't you on antibiotics or something? You should be feeling pretty good by now. How many days of this before you go back to the doctor?

• Like 2

Dh called to ask about probable dates for going to Grandma and Grandpa's house for Christmas. 3 days to be there and 4 days of travel (2 there and 2 back). BUT, this will likely be the last time we ever have to make this trip if we can get them moved to BIL's in Indianapolis in the next year. :hurray: and just a little :(

• Like 4

Wait - aren't you on antibiotics or something? You should be feeling pretty good by now. How many days of this before you go back to the doctor?

I'm thinking tomorrow if I don't get some sleep tonight. My fever is down. I no longer feel like my hair is on fire at the roots. But I'm pretty doggone sick of being sick, let me tell you.

• Like 2

My "good enough" is a little bit of that teaching from rest thing. Evaluate. Assess it. Does it pass muster for the day? Yes? Good enough. No? Work on it tomorrow. There's always more that can be done. Always. But it's kind of like painting. There's a point where you start muddying your colors trying to make it better. You just have to stand back, and look at it, and say, "Good enough". For my skill, for my interest, for what I wanted to do, I have succeeded and I am happy. Doesn't mean I can't do better. Doesn't mean I won't do better. Doesn't mean I don't have lots and lots and lots of things to fix. For now, it's good enough.

Of course, I'm pretty well delirious with lack of sleep and ineffective cold medications, so there's that. :wacko:

• Like 5

Critter needs a to write a book or at least a pamphlet on homeschooling or parenting.

Right now I think I just need food. And I'm afraid to eat it because I hate, hate, hate puking!

ETA: Great. A sick-and-you-know-it Booyah.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Help!! Help!! I am in such trouble. My son the Boy Scout sold me a bag of salted Carmel Boy Sout popcorn. That stuff is crack, I tell you!! Crack!!! I've been trying to distribute it amongst the children as often as possible, it is so amazingly good. And I have finally gotten to the point where I'm counting my carbs again!!!! Somebody please pry the bag out of my sweet, sticky-salty hands,😩😩😩😩😩😩

• Like 8

This is Krissi's oldest child: I'm sorry to report that you are all too late. Salted Carmel Popcorn overdose is not a pretty sight. An anti-dote of cottage cheese and celery will be administered in an attempt to reverse the effects of that salty-sweet goodness, and she will be closely monitored over the next few days.

Let this be a lesson to you all.

• Like 10

Help!! Help!! I am in such trouble. My son the Boy Scout sold me a bag of salted Carmel Boy Sout popcorn. That stuff is crack, I tell you!! Crack!!! I've been trying to distribute it amongst the children as often as possible, it is so amazingly good. And I have finally gotten to the point where I'm counting my carbs again!!!! Somebody please pry the bag out of my sweet, sticky-salty hands,😩😩😩😩😩😩

Umm, training your child up to be a drug pusher is NOT a satisfactory educational objective. :toetap05:

• Like 3

This is Krissi's oldest child: I'm sorry to report that you are all too late. Salted Carmel Popcorn overdose is not a pretty sight. An anti-dote of cottage cheese and celery will be administered in an attempt to reverse the effects of that salty-sweet goodness, and she will be closely monitored over the next few days.

Let this be a lesson to you all.

:lol: :lol: :lol: