Menu

Ignore this thread!

In truth, I *think* that I am usually the last ITTer to go to bed.  I just don't post much after midnight.  For two reasons:  1.  I don't know how much sense any of it would make  :lol: ; 2.  I don't want a written record of all of the nights I am up until 2 (often) or 3 (sometimes) or (occasionally) 4 a.m. (East Coast time) :blink: .  

• Like 10

I'm sorry that you can't sleep, Junie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a nap this afternoon, so that helps.

I've been having a lot of pain because RA and the barometer don't get along.

I'm going to distract myself with a movie until I can't keep my eyes open.

Sabrina (with Harrison Ford).

• Like 4

Panic because I lost my phone at bedtime and calling it multiple times wasn't finding it. I use it as a flashlight during the night but most importantly, it is my alarm clock in the morning. But phew! I finally found it when I lay down and felt a hard lump.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 9

Good Wednesday Morning!

I have one dc doing standardized testing today and tomorrow on the computer (last one I'm testing this year).  I'm trying to get ready for our vacation.  I have a million loads of laundry to do.  This is why going on vacation is stressful.  It requires one to get caught up on all tasks which is not possible.  And then at the end of it, it will require doubling up on tasks again.  

• Like 7

Good morning!

Coffee ☕☕☕

It is raining. It is supposed to rain all day. Our homeschool wrap-up picnic is scheduled for today. I don't know if they will reschedule or not.

We were going to mow the cemetery this evening and put up Memorial Flags. The rain has put that on hold. We will have to do it tomorrow though.

So happy for good cardiologists, vacations, bubble tea in NYC, summer break and ITT.

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 4

Page 128:

I had a baby in August in Texas (where the high is 100+ for at least 3 straight months every summer), AND I spent the entire month of the June immediately preceding that living in the un-airconditioned attic of our fixer-upper (the downstairs didn't come with a floor). I'll agree that was a bad idea. Sometimes I wonder if I overheated the poor baby. 

MIL told me repeatedly not to move when 8 1/2 months pregnant -- been there, done that.  I told her not to worry, the house we were slated to move into should be ready long before then, when I was no more than 6 months along.  I wasn't even pregnant when we put down the earnest money and paid for the upgrades.  The company claimed they could build houses in 4 months, we gave them 6 because our lot was the access point for building the rest of the street, and they took over 9 months before we could close (and it took the company's VP telling the office to stop holding our house ransom for costs we did NOT approve).

I was 8 1/2 months pregnant when we finally got to move in.

Lessons learned from this move:

• Don't get pregnant before the house is built, and wait until after closing if you can
  • Make sure you have a bedroom AND FULL BATHROOM on the ground floor in case you get put on medical restrictions to not carry the baby on the stairs

I also have a whole long list of other lessons learned which summarize into "don't use this builder".  We have a good house because we worked hard to have a good house, and DH has done a LOT to fix issues as we discovered them.  

• Like 4

So, since it's been almost 2 years, I'd like to know, how do I order this book?

I see Mrs. Mallard and JoJosMom haven't read the entire thread. Or at least failed their quiz. She explained the Rachel-Rache-Slache thing many, many pages ago (which is also why Slache is mispronounced - I vote that we solve this by pronouncing it Slash, and then changing the pronunciation of Rachel to be like Rash-el).

ETA: brought to you by page 129.

Yeah, we have been calling her Slash or Slashie (or variants thereof) ever since!

Boeja!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 7

You schedule your hot flashes? Mine are free spirits that come whenever they feel like it.

My perim-- ones seem to have gone away.  Now the ones I get seem to be caused by foods I consume and medication I take.  This makes mine somewhat predictable (though still not easily avoidable).  The nasty thing is, they now also carry some cold flashes to take turns with.  NOT cool!

• Like 1

Share your favorite childhood songs, like back on page 134:

Well then, hurry up and finish it. I dither about how to pronounce Slache, since you said it's supposed to be like Rachel-Rache-Slache (so, kind of like Slage?), but Slash makes so much more sense. So, basically, whatever I feel like. 

I can't remember back that far.  However, from when my kids were younger I'd say most anything by Sandra Boynton, especially in her Philadelphia Chickens music book and CD.

• Like 1

This evening I took Gymnast to a theater audition for Bible Alive Theater. She had to sing a song; she sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." I was sitting in a chair in the front of a very small room and she stood beside me and did the sign language with me while she sang. She gets soooo anxious trying to anticipate what is going to happen, then does fine once she gets started. She ran upstairs to her sister when done and said, "That was SO embarrassing!" :lol:  They give all kids some part, even if not a speaking part, lol.

Good job, Gymnast!!!!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

I understand the barometer thing. I get pain from that too.

Yesterday a headache only threatened, but all of my coordination went right out the window.  I did NOT clean up stuff in the kitchen, even after I could have my sink back.  I also had DH take DD12 to Aikido, then had them pick up supper (they chose Subway) on the way home.

Earlier in the day the barometer was messing with others, too.  Lots of bonehead maneuvers on the city streets.  We never got the promised storms here (we did get some rain), though other areas near us got walloped.  

Through all of this my OA knees behaved just fine.   :confused1:

• Like 2

Panic because I lost my phone at bedtime and calling it multiple times wasn't finding it. I use it as a flashlight during the night but most importantly, it is my alarm clock in the morning. But phew! I finally found it when I lay down and felt a hard lump.

We have been told that when on cruises it is advisable to carry a separate alarm clock and not rely on the phones because the moving ship might have your phone's alarm going off in the wrong time zone.  Being too early isn't much of a problem, but being too late could be.

We are going to have to order in some alarm clocks because I can't find our old travel ones.  We have all been using our phones....

Childhood Song, from camp:

(Typing from memory, so forgive any errors, please! :D)

Nonsense Song

Oh, I was born one night, one morn

When the whistle went, "Toot Toot!"

You could bake a steak or fry a cake

When the mud pie are in bloom

Does six and six make nine?

Does ice grow on a vine?

Is old black Joe an Eskimo,

In the good old summertime?

Oohhh, loop de loop in my noodle soup

Just to give my socks a shine

I'm guilty judge

I ate the fudge

Three cheers for Auld Lang Syne!

I cannot tell a lie,

I hogged an apple pie,

It's on a tree, beneath the sea,

Above the bright blue sky!

If Easter eggs don't wash their legs

Their children will have ducks (quack, quack)

I'd rather buy a lemon pie

For forty-seven bucks!

Way down in Bracelonia

I fell into the foamia

But this is all balognia

Paderewski blow your horn! (toot toot)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

Caffeine.

School today.

I have fresh blueberries to eat. They are quite good. I ought to go pick some for myself, but that would require being outside. In the sunshine. I'll wait for the next mostly cloudy day, I think.

Do you grow them on purpose or do they grow wild?? They've started growing Blueberries around here the past 10 years or so. It's been nice to have fresh blueberries locally grown.
  • Like 1

It is morning.

I am choosing to be truly happy for those who are finished.  DD just started a 4-week BW class and has 9 weeks of physics to do in 3 weeks (please note, however, that she is catching up.)  If all goes as planned (Good Lord willin' and the Creek don' rise), she will have 1 week off before she leaves me for 6 weeks (crying.gif).  The one week during which I must now show up upon pain of arrest for possible federal grand jury service. :svengo:

Need. More. Coffee.

• Like 6

BYOB email:

Hello,

Did you receive our email recently telling you that the Build Your OWN Basic Bundle of 5 was just $19.95?

Well, that was a mistake.

We almost panicked. Our help desk started to blow up. We thought to clear it up we would email a retraction and apology.

Then we thought, why punish YOU for our mistake?

I know when I go to the grocery store and something is labeled wrongly, they honor the price (gotta love Publix!)

So, that is what we are going to do! To make it work, we are giving you ONE DAY ONLY to get the Build Your OWN Basic Bundle of 5 for just $19.95!

OFFER DETAILS:

Save $5.05 on a Build Your OWN Basic Bundle of 5, making it $19.95

One day only - good until 11:59PM EDT on 5/24

Can be combined with other coupon codes

One coupon code per customer

The code is byo5deal (not case sensitive)

When you make a purchase from the BYB Sale you are helping to support hundreds of homeschooling families and small businesses. :-)

• Like 1

There is a blueberry farm up the road from us.

I now have a blueberry dilemma:  This weekend family is coming down to visit.  This weekend is opening weekend for our local blueberry farm.  To pick or not to pick?  Hmm....

The following 3 weekends we also have other birthdays and visitings and Father's Day.  If I don't pick on any celebration weekends (to streamline gatherings and such) I am in danger of missing out on our blueberry picking season entirely.

What to do?....

Your family should help you pick blueberries, AMJ.  They are not being very supportive of you if they don't.  And that would be rude.

Usually they do -- my girls love to go picking.  My niece who likes to pick might opt out this year, however, for personal reasons.  This coming weekend my youngest nephew has a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese at 10 AM on the day I'd like to go pick.  We are usually back home well before that time, but if we have any doubts I can go pick by myself this weekend and DH can take our kids to CEC for the party, and I can show up after I have cleaned berries and had a shower.  Hmm, that might make a WONDERFUL plan, weather permitting (I don't like CEC and would only go because nephew).

We usually pick for 60-90 minutes and then skedaddle because the crowds are showing up (cars will park on the side of the road for more than a mile beyond the parking area) and the heat is starting to build.  It takes more time to deal with the berries once we are home than it does to pick them.

At the time I pick there is usually dew all over the berries, so they require spreading out to dry after we get home.  I usually wash a bunch of them and freeze them (already dry, not wet, and spread out in a single layer on a sheet pan), and share some with MIL and FIL.  

Sometimes weather is an issue, too, and Saturday picking is a must because Sunday there are never any ripe ones left because the Saturday pickers got them all.  We only get a few weekends a year in which to pick, so I try to make the most of it when I can.  Coordinating with other households can be so problematic, so usually anyone going with me is sleeping at my house the day before.

Over the years word of this blueberry farm has spread.  People come from all over the county and the neighboring counties to pick.  This farm doesn't advertise, and they are only open on weekends.  They have a website on which they will post blueberry reports -- days open to pick, which varieties are ripe, and how things look overall.  Those in the know go early (in the morning) and as many days as they can through the brief season.

So, in prep for picking I need to empty some space in the fridge and freezer so I can chill the unprocessed berries and lay out sheet trays in the freezer for the ones I'm freezing.  I also need to declare my kitchen off limits so no one clutters up the limited counter space before I get home with the berries.  I need to clear the kitchen table, too, and might want to extend it again.

I wonder if I can borrow some sheet pans from MIL?  I need all of my kitchen towels clean, too....

Impending berry frenzy!!!!

• Like 2

I love Spanish (I realize you linked in Dutch, but it applies, kind of), but one thing that is frustrating at times is that the same word is used to describe various things. Like, calabaza. It can be the big orange squash, a zucchini, a winter squash, a summer squash, a gourd...at least in English, we have different names for these and can know what a person means when referring to one or the other.

Just start calling them by different names. Here are some examples:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variedades_de_calabazas_y_zapallos_en_Estados_Unidos

What we'd call a pompoen in Dutch:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabaza_gigante

What we'd cal a flespompoen or muskaatpompoen (not that we tend to call it anything - we're not big on this kind):

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_moschata

Another one we don't tend to use, but call fleskalebas. This one has lots of options for you to choose from (porongomatecalabaza de peregrino,1 guajebulejícaro o acocote):

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagenaria_siceraria

Time to catch up with the rest of the world and just call this one a zucchini. Wikipedia says: "Una variedad de la especie: el zucchini, desarrollado en Italia y llevado al resto del mundo en general con ese nombre." Of course, in all fairness, in Dutch we call it a courgette, but at least we've got a specific word for it.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_pepo

I multitask at night.

But we need your focused dedication here!

Actually Renai is an hour ahead of me but we tend to go to bed around the same time. Krissi and Slache are the same time zone as me but they either go to bed crazy early or I go to bed crazy late.

This thread is on EDT, don't y'all remember?

Yeah, we have been calling her Slash or Slashie (or variants thereof) ever since!

Boeja!

I know you've been calling her Slash or Slashie - my point was that we should just fix her real name to match, so to pronounce that Rashel, so that the first part rhymes with Slash. Oh, and good job on the boeja. :)

• Like 6

We had the same song in camp but it was a little different. I'll change it in blue. And my kids can't remember songs they sang last week! 

Childhood Song, from camp:

(Typing from memory, so forgive any errors, please! :D)

Nonsense Song

Oh, I was born one night, one morn

When the whistle went, "Toot Toot!"

You could bake a steak or fry a cake

When the mud pie are in bloom

Does six and six make nine?

Does ice grow on a vine?

Is old black Joe an Eskimo,

In the good old summertime?

Oohhh,you can loop de loop in my noodle soup

Just to or give my socks a shine

I'm guilty judge

I ate stole the fudge

Three cheers for Auld Lang Syne!

I cannot tell a lie,

I hogged hocked an apple pie,

It's on in a tree, beneath the sea,

Above the bright blue sky!

If Easter eggs don't wash their legs

Their children will have ducks (quack, quack)

I'd rather buy a lemon pie

For forty-seven bucks!

Oh they call me King Napoleon

But I'm not him at all.

I come from South Dakota

Way down by Old St Paul

Way down in Bracelonia

I fell into the foamia

But Now this is all balognia

Paderewski blow your horn! (toot toot)

Edited by Paige
  • Like 3

My apologies!

I can't go back and read 139 pages, are the ground rules just don't call anyone random? Or stupid? I can deal with that.

What's this "can't" thing you speak of (on page 139)? I'm on page 140 now, just to prove that a little effort and dedication really pay off. I even stayed up late last night to make it through my (self-imposed) minimum of 20 pages a day.

Btw, I've been liking posts from people I haven't seen posting recently, hoping to lure them back in. Oh, and liking some random other posts as well, like those pot roast carrots a few days back.

ETA: oh, and on page 140 Jean admitted that she snorts drugs. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 8

Taking the kiddo for testing today. Why am I nervous?

This is stupid. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

You are nervous because you don't know what the future holds.  And you might get some answers today.

And no, it isn't stupid.

• Like 6

You are nervous because you don't know what the future holds.  And you might get some answers today.

And no, it isn't stupid.

Thank you.

This made me cry. I didn't think I would have so many emotions, but I do. The unknown is always scary. 

• Like 6

We have been told that when on cruises it is advisable to carry a separate alarm clock and not rely on the phones because the moving ship might have your phone's alarm going off in the wrong time zone. Being too early isn't much of a problem, but being too late could be.

We are going to have to order in some alarm clocks because I can't find our old travel ones. We have all been using our phones....

Are you going on a cruise?

Taking the kiddo for testing today. Why am I nervous?

This is stupid.

And no, it isn't stupid.

What Junie said. And you aren't stupid. And ITT has your back, babe!! Always remember that!!
  • Like 6

Totally normal. Moms worry things will be their fault. It's not. We know it. You know it. But instinctual worry is still there. (((Mary))). Hope the evaluator is fantastic!

She's apparently one of the best neuropsychologists in the area. My friend used her recently to evaluate one of her daughters and loved her. So, that's a good thing. 

• Like 5

AMJ, you just need to go pick blueberries. It's very therapeutic.

"Blueberries for Sal" is one of my favorite books.

My parents and I used to pick blueberries for a blueberry farm. We used the money to pay for summer camp. I think I ate more than I got paid. haha

• Like 7

I was kidding about your family being rude, BTW. ;)

I would definitely pick instead of CEC.  Barf.  I hate that place.

SIL specifically chose 10 AM for Dear Nephew's "party" in order to beat the ill-mannered crowds that usually descend upon the place.  DN really really REALLY wants to go to CEC -- SIL's version of such a party has become just the extended family going, eating some pizza, and playing games.  DN is turning 4, and doesn't fixate on balloons, decorations, and inviting friends yet.

• Like 1

Just start calling them by different names. Here are some examples:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variedades_de_calabazas_y_zapallos_en_Estados_Unidos

What we'd call a pompoen in Dutch:

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabaza_gigante

What we'd cal a flespompoen or muskaatpompoen (not that we tend to call it anything - we're not big on this kind):

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_moschata

Another one we don't tend to use, but call fleskalebas. This one has lots of options for you to choose from (porongomatecalabaza de peregrino,1 guajebulejícaro o acocote):

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagenaria_siceraria

Time to catch up with the rest of the world and just call this one a zucchini. Wikipedia says: "Una variedad de la especie: el zucchini, desarrollado en Italia y llevado al resto del mundo en general con ese nombre." Of course, in all fairness, in Dutch we call it a courgette, but at least we've got a specific word for it.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_pepo

But we need your focused dedication here!

This thread is on EDT, don't y'all remember?

I know you've been calling her Slash or Slashie - my point was that we should just fix her real name to match, so to pronounce that Rashel, so that the first part rhymes with Slash. Oh, and good job on the boeja. :)

Actually, a lot of us are Central Time!  At some point you will also come across our Australian component, too.

• Like 1

Thank you.

This made me cry. I didn't think I would have so many emotions, but I do. The unknown is always scary. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Hang in there.  It will be fine.

• Like 1