Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's always in the same spot, right? Put something there. It can look stupid because you only need it there a few days to break the habit.

Not the same spot. Nature's Miracle is an enzymatic cleaner designed to take away the smell even for sensitive dog noses. And it seems to work.

It's cold outside. I think that he just doesn't want to go out.

• Like 3

We loved Rogue One. No spoilers, but it had much more of a plot than most of the other Star Wars movies, and I cried at the end.

:thumbup1:   We liked it too!

Whew! Well, I will rest easy.

I got dd14 Exploding Kittens for Christmas, and the kids have had fun playing the past couple days.

I am a barbarian and dry sweaters in the dryer on low heat with the rest of the laundry.

Do you have We Didn't Play Test This at All?  My kids have liked that one.

I done three loads of laundry. Two loads have been folded and put away. I helped the twins clean their room and put Christmas presents away. I cooked supper and cleaned up dishes. My kitchen sink is completely empty. :hurray: I placed three online orders: Amazon, old navy and Victoria's secret. My sense of accomplishment has been hanging around lately. ;) (It will most likely vanish completely in a couple of days and overwhelming despair will replace it.)

I usually dry sweaters on delicate in the dryer or toss them over a closet door.

:hurray: You are amazing!

I can't even believe people take down all their Christmas decorations ON CHRISTMAS DAY. :svengo:

I would have, but I didn't go to THE AFSA yet for an ornament box.  But y'all already knew I was bah humbug.   :hat:

I need to decide on a useful project for tomorrow. I could get started on the pantry, which was tidy at the beginning of the school year but is now a disaster. Or I could organize the hated kitchen corner cabinet. Or I could sort through the large basket in my closet, toss stuff that should be tossed, and straighten the rest. Or I could do history and literature planning for the remaining chapters of SOTW.

Hmmmm, I would go through the basket in closet because I like through things out.  And then after lunch I would settle in with a favorite beverage, a cozy blanket, and the history/literature planning.

:lol:  :001_tt1:

I got a couple of books for Christmas, too. One of them is "The Heart of the Home" by Susan Branch, which I completely reveled in. I just love the way she views life. I want to go out and pick flowers to dry and then send them to friends. I want to build a little guest house thingie in my back yard and then have some guests.

You are a much better person than I am.  I never want to dry flowers and I never want guests.  But I like to read books whether other people do those things.   :leaving:

• Like 6

That would drive me nuts!

Dh's family tried to regulate gift giving one year. It was a disaster. Essentially, everyone agreed in September that no gifts were to be given between the families. But a couple of the families DID get gifts for everyone. We gave Christmas cards with a tiny ornament taped to the card. We accepted gifts that were given and no one cared one way or the other, but the family that initiated the "no gift" idea refused to accept any gifts and sat sulking on the sofa all night. It was not a pleasant night!

The household here that brought gifts for our kids was the household that initially requested that each family give something homemade to each other family instead of Secret Santa-ing or getting gifts for niblings.  This was back when they were rather tight on finances and had a lot to deal with, so we all thought it was a grand idea.  We have been doing that ever since.

I think the reason they gave stuff to the girls this year is BIL has a MUCH better paying job and they can finally afford to splurge a bit.  

Even if I wanted to (which I don't) I can't complain -- DH here, as "part of the family gift", got matching BB pistols for his brothers, their dad, and himself so they could shoot targets together.  Everyone still made homemade stuff for the family presents (mostly sweet treats, though one BIL did cook prime rib for supper AND smoked some cheese for us all as part of their family gift).

Hooray!  It's an everybody-is-doing-better-this-year Booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 6

My uncle used to carry around a stone with him and (seemingly, at the time) randomly sharpen people's knives. All I remember is a circular motion and a lot of spit!

Send your uncle down here, please, to teach me!  I know I can get DH or FIL to do so, but they use oil.  I'd like to learn the spit method, too!

• Like 2

Tomorrow I am going to the funeral of my old high school teacher. My BFF was supposed to go with me, but now she can't so I guess I'll go alone. I hate doing things alone. DH is off work tomorrow, so he's staying home with the kids. I wouldn't ask him to go anyway. He never even knew Mr. H and it's a vacation day for him. He's got things he wants to do. So, I'm thinking I'll just go to the service and skip the luncheon, unless I run into someone I can hang out with.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

My husband got me two books for Christmas. I read them both today. He was a little surprised by that. I am not sure why.

I started The Black Echo just before Christmas and finished it at ILs' house day before yesterday.  I promptly turned it over to FIL who also hadn't read any Michael Connelly before, and he handed me a book he rather liked (one of the Lincoln Lawyer books).  I am already more than halfway through it.

I don't get to read for pleasure every day anymore -- things just get too busy and I get distracted.  But when I do I tend to go through books quickly.

• Like 4

I love Rocky a lot. And I spend a lot of time trying to take care of him in the best way. But he has squatted and pee'd on my carpet for the third day in a row. Yes, I treat the spots with Nature's Miracle every time but grrrr. He's just been checked by the vet so I'm fairly sure that a UTI isn't the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be a reaction to the newest bunny, or some ploy for attention?  I know Rocky is the dog, but maybe he still is feeling challenged by Bailey.

• Like 3

Which font do you like better for cursive copywork?

#6 is most like cursive, but it also has a lot of extra fancy flourishes and can be confusing to look at.  I wouldn't use that one.

Nix #2.  Don't use an all-caps font if you don't want the kids practicing all caps handwriting.  Make sure that whatever you want them copying uses the same cases and punctuation you want them to write.  They should only have their minds on properly translating manuscript to cursive, and proper formation of the letters.  Anything else is a distraction from the target of the exercise.

I'd skip #4 -- the slant on those italics is stronger than the other italic fonts, which makes it a bit harder to read, again requiring a portion of the student's attention be taken away from what they are to actually do.

Italics vs. non-italics:  I generally prefer simpler fonts that are easy to read, but if you need or want to have the cursive exercises visually different from the manuscript-writing exercises you can do the manuscript in a non-italicized font and the cursive in an italicized.  Do you not have any working cursive fonts for the kids to copy from?  I do like the cleanliness of the sans serif fonts, since the passages are not voluminous.

• Like 2

I have had at least 8 hours of sleep last night and feel immensely improved.  Now I'm trying to get a tired DD12 (up twice in the night to get drinks of water, just drank some Gatorade in case she is low on electrolytes) to go shower and wash her hair.  DH is sleeping in.  DD15 is likely still sleeping in.  We have more visiting today.

It is foggy outside and quite still.  Quite warm and humid.  It's supposed to be mostly warm and humid for several days still, though the temps should fluctuate a little.

When we are done visiting I will have to remember to call up the mail-order prescription place and start asking questions.  As of January 1 we have to get all of our "maintenance meds" through mail order and not filled locally.  If we don't the insurance won't pay for it, and they won't let us use our pre-tax health savings account to pay for the meds filled locally, either.  Given that on every visit to my endo there have been new meds added AND changes to my existing meds my argument is that my so-called "maintenance meds" are not yet stable enough for mail order.

• Like 3

I started The Black Echo just before Christmas and finished it at ILs' house day before yesterday. I promptly turned it over to FIL who also hadn't read any Michael Connelly before, and he handed me a book he rather liked (one of the Lincoln Lawyer books). I am already more than halfway through it.

I don't get to read for pleasure every day anymore -- things just get too busy and I get distracted. But when I do I tend to go through books quickly.

I don't read every day because I have a tendency to get sucked into the story and forget that I'm supposed to do stuff in the real world. Stuff like eat, sleep, and insure my little monsters don't kill each other.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Good morning!

The goat has been banished, but I haven't found pantz yet.

I'm sorry you are sick again, Schadenfreude!

I think I will go with the 7 cups of coffee and the closet basket. It will be like a treasure hunt - not quite sure what all will be found in there! :D After lunch we are planning to take the kids into The Big City, and extra coffee will be needed for that, as well.

ikslo, your uncle sounds like quite a character! :D

Rocky, settle down and behave appropriately!

(((Krissi)))

Coffee!!

• Like 8

I don't read every day because I have a tendency to get sucked into the story and forget that I'm supposed to do stuff in the real world. Stuff like eat, sleep, and insure my little monsters don't kill each other.

Yes, this is a very real danger here, too.  Good stories demand attention, and the rest they give the mind makes them quite hard to put down.  Basically it's another project, something that I need to give my full attention to for a while at a whack.  Reading is not one of the mindless little tasks I can multi-task my way through.

When I took an online test to determine what kind of a learner I was it came back very strongly reading-oriented.

• Like 3

Good morning. I slept. Therefore I be groggy. Caffeine!

I ought to school plan today, but I'm just figuring on cleaning out the great white pantry and calling it good for today. I used to be the kind of person who had to have about fourteen projects that I could never get accomplished on a break, but I'm outgrowing that and embracing the little things like doing one cabinet, or sorting out one drawer, or cleaning one fan, and then dusting my hands off with a happy sense of having done something. Little stuff gets done. I like done. That means I can go write, read, paint or pet a cat.

I'm getting better about not gobbling books. I got four for Christmas, and so far I've only read most of one. And I'll need to read it a few times before I'm ready to start taking notes and working through some of the exercises. Writing craft stuff. I've found that I can convince myself that I will make time to read and write daily, and that time is going to be there, so I don't have to tear through books or read as fast as I can because I'm afraid that I won't be able to get back to it the next day. Takes time to get into that frame of mind, though. I was trained on reading machines. Somewhere in me there is still a terrified fourth grader afraid that she won't score well if she doesn't learn to comprehend instead of enjoy. 

• Like 7

#6 is most like cursive, but it also has a lot of extra fancy flourishes and can be confusing to look at.  I wouldn't use that one.

Nix #2.  Don't use an all-caps font if you don't want the kids practicing all caps handwriting.  Make sure that whatever you want them copying uses the same cases and punctuation you want them to write.  They should only have their minds on properly translating manuscript to cursive, and proper formation of the letters.  Anything else is a distraction from the target of the exercise.

I'd skip #4 -- the slant on those italics is stronger than the other italic fonts, which makes it a bit harder to read, again requiring a portion of the student's attention be taken away from what they are to actually do.

Italics vs. non-italics:  I generally prefer simpler fonts that are easy to read, but if you need or want to have the cursive exercises visually different from the manuscript-writing exercises you can do the manuscript in a non-italicized font and the cursive in an italicized.  Do you not have any working cursive fonts for the kids to copy from?  I do like the cleanliness of the sans serif fonts, since the passages are not voluminous.

Thanks. 

Yeah, I felt the same way about #6. I couldn't figure out what the problem is with it, although it is most like traditional cursive.

I'm confused about #2 though - it is not in caps.

#4 was a mistake with the italics. The one prior was straight up and down, so I turned on italics. I didn't turn it off, so it italicized an already italicized font! I fixed it (on my end).

These samples were all from cursive fonts I'd found and downloaded (free, with permission for commercial use). The other italic fonts I have in Word just...weren't right. The one I liked best from those is Edwardian, but the capital letters are way over-embellished. The manuscript I currently use is Century Gothic, a sans serif font.

• Like 2

Thanks. 

Yeah, I felt the same way about #6. I couldn't figure out what the problem is with it, although it is most like traditional cursive.

I'm confused about #2 though - it is not in caps.

#4 was a mistake with the italics. The one prior was straight up and down, so I turned on italics. I didn't turn it off, so it italicized an already italicized font! I fixed it (on my end).

These samples were all from cursive fonts I'd found and downloaded (free, with permission for commercial use). The other italic fonts I have in Word just...weren't right. The one I liked best from those is Edwardian, but the capital letters are way over-embellished. The manuscript I currently use is Century Gothic, a sans serif font.

Let me see if I can post a screen print of what I am seeing:

Nope, doesn't seem to be working for me.

In the view I have #2 comes in all caps, and in a larger font size than the rest of the samples.  None of these fonts came in looking like actual cursive fonts (they all appear to be manuscript), though the fancy embellishments on #6 made that one seem closest.

• Like 1

I started The Black Echo just before Christmas and finished it at ILs' house day before yesterday.  I promptly turned it over to FIL who also hadn't read any Michael Connelly before, and he handed me a book he rather liked (one of the Lincoln Lawyer books).  I am already more than halfway through it.

I don't get to read for pleasure every day anymore -- things just get too busy and I get distracted.  But when I do I tend to go through books quickly.

Ahhhh yes! Well, Lana, Harry Bosch will definitely suck you in. I have not this been this sucked in since the first "Outlander" book. However, I have continued to be sucked in with each Harry Bosch I've read, but as I read subsequent Outlander books I just got more and more bored. I have not read any of the Lincoln Lawyer books, but there was one minor spin-off with the character Terry McCaleb that I also enjoyed. I have had "Lost Light" sitting on my countertop for a week now just waiting for the right afternoon when I have nothing pressing to do and I can allow myself to get completely engrossed. I think that afternoon is going to be sometime this week.
  • Like 6

A boy got a ship model to put together and paint as a Christmas gift. I wish I'd have been there when he picked it out. I would have put a stop to the purchase. He had one idea, and he's getting schooled in the art of hard to follow directions, tiny pieces, enamel paint and paint thinner applications, and he's not exactly exuding the joy of Christmas this morning.

• Like 4

I ought to school plan today, but I'm just figuring on cleaning out the great white pantry and calling it good for today. I used to be the kind of person who had to have about fourteen projects that I could never get accomplished on a break, but I'm outgrowing that and embracing the little things like doing one cabinet, or sorting out one drawer, or cleaning one fan, and then dusting my hands off with a happy sense of having done something. Little stuff gets done. I like done. That means I can go write, read, paint or pet a cat.

I'm getting better about not gobbling books. I got four for Christmas, and so far I've only read most of one. And I'll need to read it a few times before I'm ready to start taking notes and working through some of the exercises. Writing craft stuff. I've found that I can convince myself that I will make time to read and write daily, and that time is going to be there, so I don't have to tear through books or read as fast as I can because I'm afraid that I won't be able to get back to it the next day. Takes time to get into that frame of mind, though. I was trained on reading machines. Somewhere in me there is still a terrified fourth grader afraid that she won't score well if she doesn't learn to comprehend instead of enjoy.

I don't have any projects this vacation. I didn't last summer either. I decided to, for once, not see my value as simply what I can accomplish. When we got the boys and I stopped working for pay I really had a hard time simply "being a homemaker". I started being really hard on myself and making sure I "earned my keep." I have finally been realizing that how much I accomplish each day has absolutely no bearing on my value as a person and my position as the sun in this little solar system of our family does not mean I have to work myself to death.
  • Like 8

When I was in 3rd I was quickly identified as needing something more than the classroom's reading resources -- in spare minutes here and there throughout the day I read the entire year's reader in the first two weeks of school.  The teacher promptly sent me off to the Media Center, a part of our school's library.  The librarian then had me work with the speed reading machines, and I found those scrolls interesting reading.  She chastised me one day, though, because I wasn't watching the screen the entire time.  "You are supposed to be reading each line as it reaches the thin line in the middle of the machine."  "The machine is too slow.  I have it turned up all of the way and I can't make it go any faster, so I simply wait for the new lines to reach the top of the screen, and then read down, then wait for them all to scroll up again."

She tested me on my comprehension on that scroll and every other scroll I worked through that day, and I guess I aced them.  She let me have the run of the library then for the rest of the year -- I could read ANY book I chose to.  I did not have to stick to the grade-appropriate shelves like the rest of the students.

I think that was the year I started browsing through the dictionary.

If a book is interesting it is hard for me not to gobble.  I get sucked in and simply don't want to put it down, don't want to interrupt the flow of the story.  Reading is a good way for me to unwind and go to sleep, provided I don't get so enthralled that I read for hours.  I have to carefully select interesting but not enthralling books for bedtime reading.

It's all the other things that crop up for me to read that are the real time sink.  Things people mention are so easily followed up on online, and when something online mentions something that just leads to lengthy and massive rabbit trails online, and so many distractions I forget the original thing I was after, AND I forget several of the initial distractions I went through as other distractions crop up.  I hope a habit of bullet journalling will help manage this.  One of the things I found mentioned online (part of one of those rabbit trails) is the notion of a Commonplace Book.  If I can use some version of that -- with a suitable organization -- that, too, might be helpful.

It feels like I need to reestablish old study habits and grow some new ones, to apply to life and all its exposures.  The up side is if I can figure out some of this now I can hopefully help DD15 form better, more effective study habits than I had in high school and college.

And maybe I can get some of the little things done more frequently around here.  I like "done", too, and the little things tend to get overlooked and forgotten in the fuss and bother over everything else.

• Like 7

A boy got a ship model to put together and paint as a Christmas gift. I wish I'd have been there when he picked it out. I would have put a stop to the purchase. He had one idea, and he's getting schooled in the art of hard to follow directions, tiny pieces, enamel paint and paint thinner applications, and he's not exactly exuding the joy of Christmas this morning.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Sounds like a real learning experience.  I hope he gets some joy out of it at some point.  

• Like 2

I don't have any projects this vacation. I didn't last summer either. I decided to, for once, not see my value as simply what I can accomplish. When we got the boys and I stopped working for pay I really had a hard time simply "being a homemaker". I started being really hard on myself and making sure I "earned my keep." I have finally been realizing that how much I accomplish each day has absolutely no bearing on my value as a person and my position as the sun in this little solar system of our family does not mean I have to work myself to death.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Very nicely stated!  And so spot-on.

• Like 4

So (:LOL:) I got a gift card from work for $25. And now, after 4 1/2 years of homeschooling, I have TWTM 4th edition sitting in front of me. I'm scared...LOL. Like I'll find out I've been doing it wrong all this time, or a choice I made for 1st grade ruined everything. :D

I'm a little emotional this morning. I already cried once this morning - at the dermatologist, for NO reason - so I bought TWTM on my way home to make me feel better. But now I'm just staring at it on the coffee table.

I think I need more coffee and a reboot for today.

• Like 9

Let me see if I can post a screen print of what I am seeing:

Nope, doesn't seem to be working for me.

In the view I have #2 comes in all caps, and in a larger font size than the rest of the samples.  None of these fonts came in looking like actual cursive fonts (they all appear to be manuscript), though the fancy embellishments on #6 made that one seem closest.

Hmmm. Let me try to do something different.

• Like 2

So ( :lol:) I got a gift card from work for $25. And now, after 4 1/2 years of homeschooling, I have TWTM 4th edition sitting in front of me. I'm scared...LOL. Like I'll find out I've been doing it wrong all this time, or a choice I made for 1st grade ruined everything. :D

I'm a little emotional this morning. I already cried once this morning - at the dermatologist, for NO reason - so I bought TWTM on my way home to make me feel better. But now I'm just staring at it on the coffee table.

I think I need more coffee and a reboot for today.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Just remember -- TWTM is ONE approach.  Granted, SWB has a lot of good stuff in there, but every student's homeschooling has to be tweaked for the student, and every homeschooling teacher must also do things in a way that works for the teacher.  YOU are the best expert on what you and your son can do and how.  Don't get caught up in the mindset that you might have done things all wrong up to now -- just read the book and decide to start new things from where you are, if you are going to start them.  (You don't even have to do all the things, or use all the resources.)

TWTM (3rd edition) helped get me going when we decided to switch to homeschooling from brick&mortar school (at the end of DD15's 5th grade year).  We certainly couldn't start at the beginning to follow the plan.  Consider yourselves the same -- learning about the TWTM approach several years in.

• Like 5

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Just remember -- TWTM is ONE approach. Granted, SWB has a lot of good stuff in there, but every student's homeschooling has to be tweaked for the student, and every homeschooling teacher must also do things in a way that works for the teacher. YOU are the best expert on what you and your son can do and how. Don't get caught up in the mindset that you might have done things all wrong up to now -- just read the book and decide to start new things from where you are, if you are going to start them. (You don't even have to do all the things, or use all the resources.)

TWTM (3rd edition) helped get me going when we decided to switch to homeschooling from brick&mortar school (at the end of DD15's 5th grade year). We certainly couldn't start at the beginning to follow the plan. Consider yourselves the same -- learning about the TWTM approach several years in.

Oh, I'm not planning on changing a whole lot. I actually got quite a bit of info from the forums already. It's just I've never read it - so who knows?

But thanks for the reminder that it's only one way. :)

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

I have but it wouldn't upload. I'm going to try again.

ETA: Yeah, it worked!

The first time only 1 was in cursive for me. This is much better. I would go with 5 or 6. Probably 6, because the s in 5 looks a lot like German script to me, and not standard in the US?

• Like 2

MUCH better!

#5 looks closest to how cursive was taught when I was a kid, and it's almost exactly like my grandmother's cursive (she taught elementary school as a young adult).

#7 is a very close second.  Can it be italicized to give it more slant?  Do you want your students practicing more slant?

#1-4 & 8 all look like typed cursive.  If you are trying to get kids to practice cursive this might distract them or cause them to think their handwritten cursive isn't quite right.

I would now say #6 is my third choice, but I vote for #5, with #7 as coming in second.

• Like 1

I'm continuing to discuss local politics on a local forum. I know that the councilwoman who I disagree with the most is reading what I say because she is thanking my posts (that forum's version of a "like"). I even gave a little logic lesson and pointed out some logical fallacies.

It's taken me this long to realize that this particular councilwoman is the same one that I had an epic clash with at a National Night Out event where she told me that I couldn't homeschool without oversight from the public school. I put her in her place and everyone clapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

On the cursive fonts I like 5 and 7. The others are too tight for easy reading for me. I am editing this morning. I'd forgotten just how much I liked this scene to begin with. It's complete cold, rainy misery for the main character. I really love the contrast now between this scene (the beginning of the story) and the last chapter which is titled, The Beginning. In the last chapter it is exactly the opposite kind of day--but in the same place where he started his story. The loneliness of the first chapter really makes the emotions he feels in the last chapter particularly strong and meaningful.

• Like 3

I think one thing that makes the writing look tricky is the different thicknesses of the lines. Otherwise, they'd look more simple. I'd probably go with #7 or #8.

I like #5 except for the weird line breaks, which I assume would not be done in the actual writing.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2