Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!

I need to coffee then get started on taking down the Christmas decorations.

Yes!  I just gathered all the stockings in a pile.  Unfortunately, the real take down can't begin until I go to THE AFSA and buy a new Christmas ornament storage box.  Because ya know they didn't want to stock those before Christmas.  (Yes, I'm whining about it.)

• Like 5

Yes!  I just gathered all the stockings in a pile.  Unfortunately, the real take down can't begin until I go to THE AFSA and buy a new Christmas ornament storage box.  Because ya know they didn't want to stock those before Christmas.  (Yes, I'm whining about it.)

I'm going to Walmart too -- to look for cheap Christmas stuff.

:seeya:

• Like 6

Ah, the store that shall not be named! Abandon hope all ye who enter. DH just took off to do a little shopping. He's a braver soul than I. But even he fears to tread the corridors of the AFSA.

• Like 6

Good Morning!

Coffee and ibuprofin are needed, pronto. My body is not pleased with all the sugar and junk and corn I have been eating. Oh, but I sure love corn casserole! And popcorn! And Christmas trifle!

The kitchen is a disaster, so that will be priority #1. Once the dollar store Advent/Christmas dishes are clean, I'll need to pack them up and put them away. Need to wash the Christmas table linens (and try to get the chocolate off) and pack those away. I'll have the kids work on the living room. We won't take the decorations down until after Epiphany.

We are looking for a warmish, non-rainy day to go to the Big City and walk around with the kids and visit the free state museum. Tomorrow is probably our best bet.

• Like 6

Part of me really wants to go to The AFSA and Joann's for the after-Christmas specials because I want to gather supplies for making Christmas crackers next year. And I still have to return the wrong colored plates I bought. But then the other part of me kicks the first part and tells it not to be a stupid head.

• Like 5

I have a semi-professional electric sharpener. I like it a lot.

Can you recommend one?  I know DH and his dad have some sharpeners they use, but they use them on so many things, including tools and the knives FIL makes from time to time (buys blades and crafts handles for them).  I have several standard (American?) knives of various sizes, but I also have some Japanese knives with thinner angles to the edges (those have yet to be sharpened -- I have been babying them for the year I have had them, but they are due for sharpening soon).

In my youth, working in kitchens, I always paid a local shop to sharpen my knives for me.  DH or FIL have sharpened my knives for the past 20 years or so.  I am, however, finally ready to start learning how to sharpen my own, I think.  I want more control over the process, and other demands upon my attention have lessened enough I think I can fit mindful sharpening in now.  The hassle of living without my knives for a few days while someone else sharpens them is really starting to drag.

My kitchen scissors and sewing shears probably could also use a good going over, too.  Do you use different sharpeners for different blade angles, or is yours adjustable?

• Like 2

I have a cloud sitting in front of my house. I wonder what it wants.

Someone's knocking at the window

Somebody's ringing the bell

Do me a favor

Open the door 

And let 'em i-i-i-i-nnnn....

• Like 4

Can you recommend one?  I know DH and his dad have some sharpeners they use, but they use them on so many things, including tools and the knives FIL makes from time to time (buys blades and crafts handles for them).  I have several standard (American?) knives of various sizes, but I also have some Japanese knives with thinner angles to the edges (those have yet to be sharpened -- I have been babying them for the year I have had them, but they are due for sharpening soon).

Mine is a Chef's Choice Professional Sharpening Station 130. I've had it for some years now. It is not designed to handle Japanese knives with their different angles, but I seem to remember that there was a model that did handle them. 

ETA: It's a right tool for the job Booyah! I would not run a Japanese knife through any sharpener not designed for that kind of knife.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

I have just sent DH and the kids off for more visiting today -- without me.  This was the third or fourth night in a row of short or poor sleep (I have lost count), AND the stuff I have been eating the past few days has started having some deleterious effects.  Since today will be a shorter visiting day anyway I have bowed out and sent over my apologies.

I will nap, and drink lots of straight cranberry juice, and maybe, if I have the energy and coordination to work safely, I might start zesting lemons before juicing them.  I need to get these processed soon (I picked them all several days ago when I feared a freeze).

• Like 5

Good Morning, my lovelies!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

It has been so nice reading about ya'lls Christmas. Ellie, I am so glad to see you back. You have been sorely missed.

Today we are going to DH's brother's house to celebrate Christmas with his side of the family. It's the same mob who was at our house on Thanksgiving. I am making Mexican beans (recipe from my mom, who got it from her teacher's aid when she was teaching), spinach salad and I think I'll throw together some lemon bars, since I have lemons on my counter top. We're eating at 1:00, so I should have a reasonably leisurely morning. And I'm anticipating a pleasant day.

• Like 8

OK - I'm going to use the ITT as my sounding board.  (I don't really think that there is no "right" answer but I'm trying to think things through to see what I should do.)

Ds19 is aspie.  The holidays are tough on him with the social demands involved.  He is also ADD and the demands on executive functions is really high for holidays too with all the preparations in addition to daily life.  So the last few weeks have been a balancing act for me in trying to help him to be successful socially with extended family as well as our immediate family.  There have been a number of meltdowns to get through.  I am his "safe" person so if he's going to meltdown or express his difficulties it is with me.

With my prompting and guidance he got a birthday gift for dd (for a couple weeks ago) and Christmas gifts for dh and dd.  He was stressing about all this and the cost involved for a poor college student so I suggested that he fix one thing on my computer for me.  I just realized this morning that he had not given me a physical gift nor done the computer fix as a service gift.  I could let it go.  Gifts are the smallest part of our Christmas celebration.  But . . . getting him into habits of behavior is really important as an aspie.  So I'm thinking that I should gently remind him to work on my computer as my gift.    I guess my hesitation is that it feels weird to be orchestrating my own gift but I have to under the circumstances.  (And no, it won't work for dh or dd to talk to him about this.  They set him off.)

• Like 3

Can you bring it up at a less stressful time?

Maybe you could casually mention how grateful you are of his willingness to use his skills as a gift for you, and suggest a day/time that would be particularly convenient for you to have the work done? (Sort of like making an appointment with an IT tech?)

:iagree:

It was so easy.  When he came out this morning I said "When would be a good time for you to work on my computer?"  He said "now would be good".  I took a shower while he did it.  Easy peasy pumpkin pie. 

• Like 13

I braved town. DH was supposed to get me a mop, but came home with a travesty of a mop. I had to go the second time to make sure I got the one I specified the first time. :glare: I have to sweep and I might mop. I ought to mop. I just have to see if a might and an ought translate into action.

• Like 5

My Christmas dishes are packed up and waiting for dh to put them in the attic. The guest linens are all washed and vacuumed into in a space bag. The table linens are in the dryer. Dd18 and ds21 will put the clean dishes away, and I have to convince myself to clean up the turkey broth that spilled all over the stove. We are out of paper towels. I may have to bribe myself with leftover trifle.

(It's a good thing Krissi declared that proper diets can be returned to tomorrow, since today is still a national holiday. :D)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Dd14 and ds12 want to combine their Amazon gift funds to buy Dungeons and Dragons, which they have played with a neighbor. Having grown up in the 70 & 80's pentacostal movement, I have a deeply seated fear that playing this game will lead to Satanism and suicide. 🙄 Dh has assured me there is nothing inherently evil about the game.

• Like 6

Dd14 and ds12 want to combine their Amazon gift funds to buy Dungeons and Dragons, which they have played with a neighbor. Having grown up in the 70 & 80's pentacostal movement, I have a deeply seated fear that playing this game will lead to Satanism and suicide. 🙄 Dh has assured me there is nothing inherently evil about the game.

I understand.  When my oldest was first introduced to magic cards I nixed it at the time.  Now all my kids (except 8yo dd) have magic cards and play, etc.  It's okay.  Trust your dh.  

• Like 4

It was so easy.  When he came out this morning I said "When would be a good time for you to work on my computer?"  He said "now would be good".  I took a shower while he did it.  Easy peasy pumpkin pie. 

Yay for Tech Support!  I understand the holiday socializing stress.  I don't even have his diagnosis and I struggle with it.  And then feel guilty for it.  <sigh>

• Like 5

I survived Walmart, Target, and the grocery store.  Dd12 came along for the ride and was a big help lifting things into the cart.  And out of the cart.  And into the cart.  And out of the cart.

Dh took the oldest two to see Rogue One.  Their movie should be finishing soon.  It's dd14's first time going to a movie!  (Unless you count a free summer showing of VeggieTales -- I don't.)

• Like 8