Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am so glad that I've got this housekeeping thing down to an orderly progression. I did my bathroom and my room, and I am so glad that there is only one room left for me to do, because I am more tired than I thought. Sadly, the planning session is sitting on my bed, so I must get through it before I nap.

Miles to go before I nap, miles to go before I nap.

Bragger.   :glare:   Moo-oooom, she's bragging!  

• Like 6

Educational complaint  post of the day.  I thought I knew how I wanted to manage writing for 11yo ds (i.e. across curriculum), but now I don't.  And packaged writing programs are worse than eating Taco Bell.  But I really don't want to have to do my own thinking.  So, I'm just going to whine about it to you guys.  And then look at writing workbooks that I know will never work.  

Today was first day of co-op for my youngest two.  We are home.  I think I deserve a nap.  I love our group, I really do.  But I just packed my whole week of "social time" into about 5 hours and I'm done.  

• Like 7

They said it will take 30-45 minutes. She has braces on her 4 upper front teeth already, so it might not take that long.

That's a manageable chunk of time for DD15 and me to wait through.  I can "encourage" her to read homework while she waits on her sister.

Any idea how distracting the soreness is afterwards?  They told us DD12 will have sore teeth for 3 days, but said it wouldn't be so bad she can't go to school.  DH and I have never had braces, so we are going into this rather blind and don't know what to expect.

• Like 1

Morning has broken. Somebody fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, my bad.  I tripped over it, dropped a 10-lb. weight on it, left it out in the rain, and trailed it through the mud.  Now DD15 is riding the stationary bike over what's left of it.

• Like 4

I finally fell asleep at 3.  Today is brought to you by cold showers, caffeine, and a healthy fear of all that I have to do in the next 24 hours.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

You can do it!  And if anyone is mean to you just let us know and we will trample them.

• Like 2

Are they doing the impressions on the same day?  We found that the photographs, impressions, and bracketing took about 90 minutes. 

Did I mention ds gets his braces off in 4 weeks? :)

Hooray for your DS!  Does he have any words of advice and/or wisdom for a 12-year-old about to get braces, or for her ignorant-about-the-trials-of-braces parents?

• Like 1

My bathroom is clean. Go me.

Boys are done with the Latin quiz and have started the math quiz before they eat and head out to the water park for some fun with Nana and Grandpa. Then I will have the house to myself! :hurray:

I had to remind myself that you live in a place well away from here.  It's quite stormy out right now, and I wondered why Nana & Grandpa would take grandkids to a water park in this weather, and why you would let them go.  I knew you wanted peace and quiet to write, but I didn't think you'd send them out in THIS.

• Like 2

Four of my girlies are on a creative writing kick at the moment.   :hurray:  One of them is writing "The Mistery of the Powered Shugar."   :001_wub:  (Creative Writing and Creative Spelling.   :)  )

Keep the spelling!  It adds color!

• Like 2

I am so glad that I've got this housekeeping thing down to an orderly progression. I did my bathroom and my room, and I am so glad that there is only one room left for me to do, because I am more tired than I thought. Sadly, the planning session is sitting on my bed, so I must get through it before I nap.

Miles to go before I nap, miles to go before I nap.

And after the nap you can do my house!

• Like 2

Educational complaint  post of the day.  I thought I knew how I wanted to manage writing for 11yo ds (i.e. across curriculum), but now I don't.  And packaged writing programs are worse than eating Taco Bell.  But I really don't want to have to do my own thinking.  So, I'm just going to whine about it to you guys.  And then look at writing workbooks that I know will never work.  

Today was first day of co-op for my youngest two.  We are home.  I think I deserve a nap.  I love our group, I really do.  But I just packed my whole week of "social time" into about 5 hours and I'm done.  

Hooray for social time getting done in a bunch!

• Like 1

Hooray for your DS!  Does he have any words of advice and/or wisdom for a 12-year-old about to get braces, or for her ignorant-about-the-trials-of-braces parents?

If your child loves corn on the cob, or biting into apples, get it out of her system now.

My ds never needed to take ibuprofen for his braces. He wanted milkshakes a couple of times, but mostly was able to just move on with life.  He suffers from man cold syndrome, and needed to be babied when his wisdom teeth were taken out, so I think the tenderness that comes with adjustments is manageable.  My experience was much the same.

Dental hygiene is super important.  We've had the most squabbles over this, especially with flossing. 

• Like 2

I need the grouchy pants back, please.  I am having no luck with HVAC people.  I've had three outfits out here this summer doing repairs and every darn last one of them messed something up.  The guy here doing "repairs" Friday forgot to put the cover back on the unit....and it rained the entire weekend.....into the unit.

I'm not getting reasonable bids either from either companies either.  I polled my friends and I have nine companies to avoid, and two that people could give half-hearted recommendations about.  Awesome.  

• Like 1

Bragger.    :glare:   Moo-oooom, she's bragging!  

Durned right, I'm bragging. I feel as if I'd done this major flop on my back right onto this giant, slippery rock, and bruised my wrist and my elbow. Oh, yeah. That's what I did.

If I had to wash another dish, fold another piece of laundry, or scrub out another toilet right now, I'd have to punt. 

I'm having trouble breathing. Whenever I sit down, I have to take these shallow little gasps of air. I hope I didn't do something to my lungs when I crashed. Surely not. Probably just banged my rib cage a little much. I think I may lie down to watch the French lesson.

• Like 1

It's a picture perfect day here. We've got sun, some clouds, and it's in the low eighties. I just know that August has something dirty and hot planned for me, and this is a ploy to lure me into a false sense of autumn. But it's hard not to play along. Even the boys are talking about pumpkins and so forth.

• Like 2

If your child loves corn on the cob, or biting into apples, get it out of her system now.

My ds never needed to take ibuprofen for his braces. He wanted milkshakes a couple of times, but mostly was able to just move on with life.  He suffers from man cold syndrome, and needed to be babied when his wisdom teeth were taken out, so I think the tenderness that comes with adjustments is manageable.  My experience was much the same.

Dental hygiene is super important.  We've had the most squabbles over this, especially with flossing. 

Thank you.  We have already discussed cutting up certain foods like apples, which she enjoys already (her front teeth have caused problems with biting apples).  Her big fret is Skittles, and so DH and I have discussed letting her have one last trick-or-treat (Grandma's & Grandpa's semi-rural neighborhood runs a hayride each year for trick-or-treating there) before the braces go in.  She can have one last Skittles feast, then, and then start her 2-year run of candy-free.  This will also work to have a well-timed segue/graduation from trick-or-treating, anyway.

Grandpa has a Water Pic, and I bought an off-brand portable one at the grocery store.  I'll let DD12 mess about with that, and if she wants a better one we will get one for her.  We have talked about brushing/cleaning after most every meal, basically not leaving food on her teeth for longer than necessary.  The orthodontist showed her a model of the etching that can happen if the braces and teeth aren't cleaned well, and she'd like to avoid that.

Hmm, I just realized our local Ren Fest's School Days will be shortly after Halloween.  Might want to postpone braces until after that, but then we face a cousin's birthday, then Thanksgiving, then and aunt's birthday, then Christmas -- we are going to have to draw a line somewhere and stick to it.  There's really no good time of year when we don't have a major holiday or someone's birthday coming up.

Do cake or cookies and ice cream work at all with braces?  If not we will work something out.

What about blackberries or blueberries?  Do their seeds cause problems?  Crunching frozen berries will have to be given up for the duration, won't it?

• Like 2

I need the grouchy pants back, please.  I am having no luck with HVAC people.  I've had three outfits out here this summer doing repairs and every darn last one of them messed something up.  The guy here doing "repairs" Friday forgot to put the cover back on the unit....and it rained the entire weekend.....into the unit.

I'm not getting reasonable bids either from either companies either.  I polled my friends and I have nine companies to avoid, and two that people could give half-hearted recommendations about.  Awesome.  

Write it down and take pictures -- document.  That said, if you are talking the condenser that lives outdoors the bulk of that shouldn't be harmed by rain of any amount.  It's only if they left any junction boxes or electrical connections open that you have to worry about.  If none of that is damaged they should come out -- no further charge -- to close the unit up for you, since that's part of the service call they failed to do.

I hope you get someone reputable to give you the straight story on what all needs repair.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Durned right, I'm bragging. I feel as if I'd done this major flop on my back right onto this giant, slippery rock, and bruised my wrist and my elbow. Oh, yeah. That's what I did.

If I had to wash another dish, fold another piece of laundry, or scrub out another toilet right now, I'd have to punt. 

I'm having trouble breathing. Whenever I sit down, I have to take these shallow little gasps of air. I hope I didn't do something to my lungs when I crashed. Surely not. Probably just banged my rib cage a little much. I think I may lie down to watch the French lesson.

Have you gotten checked out at a doctor's office?  That bit about the breathing worries me.  Please consider getting checked for possible cracked ribs.  You don't want to mess around with anything that can compromise your breathing.

• Like 3

DH just found a story online:  KFC is giving away sunscreen that makes you smell like fried chicken.  Um, no, I'm already mosquito candy.  Don't need to attract any other bugs, too.

• Like 2

Have you gotten checked out at a doctor's office?  That bit about the breathing worries me.  Please consider getting checked for possible cracked ribs.  You don't want to mess around with anything that can compromise your breathing.

I will if it is still hard to breath tomorrow. It only seems to bother me when I'm sitting down. I don't think anything is cracked, because I can palpate the area without causing any kind of pain, so I think I'm just very sore. But if it continues to bother me, I'll go get looked at.

• Like 2

Checking in from town. Observations from day 1:

Everyone drives at breakneck speeds on these narrow country roads. Hair raising!

I love camp. Everyone knows that.

Eating gluten free hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be- at least so far.

My first class went really well. I forgot to count but I think that I put out 18 chairs and they were all filled.

Perler beads are a huge hit. Even the teens are coming by and asking if they could do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I will if it is still hard to breath tomorrow. It only seems to bother me when I'm sitting down. I don't think anything is cracked, because I can palpate the area without causing any kind of pain, so I think I'm just very sore. But if it continues to bother me, I'll go get looked at.

Thank you, that eases my mind.  

• Like 1

DH is unloading and loading the dishwasher, and he cooked his own supper. I got French, Latin and Art of Argument looked at for fall term. Now I'm going to write, and I'm writing in the bed, so I can just relax and not move around much. The boys are not back from the water park yet.

• Like 3

It turned out the water park was not open. But the boys went to one of the creeks (same one close to that waterfall that tried to kill me yesterday!) and swam, rode the rapids on floats and did battle with the horseflies. A good time was had by all.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8

I have gotten the girls registered for Derek Owens math and am awaiting the emails that give us the access to the stuff.  Once those come in I can get the girls started on math.  Might be tomorrow, might be after that.

My cat is whining at the door.  I have told her no, it's bedtime, but she's trying to tell me she should get a few more minutes outside.  Sorry, Puss, but the school year has now started.  Earlier bedtimes for everyone!

• Like 2

That's a manageable chunk of time for DD15 and me to wait through. I can "encourage" her to read homework while she waits on her sister.

Any idea how distracting the soreness is afterwards? They told us DD12 will have sore teeth for 3 days, but said it wouldn't be so bad she can't go to school. DH and I have never had braces, so we are going into this rather blind and don't know what to expect.

Dd didn't have any soreness when they put on just the top braces, but today she is in a lot of pain. Ibuprofin/Tylenol takes away the worst of it.

It turned out the water park was not open. But the boys went to one of the creeks (same one close to that waterfall that tried to kill me yesterday!) and swam, rode the rapids on floats and did battle with the horseflies. A good time was had by all.

I kind of wanted to go to the water park this summer, but didn't try too hard because it is so expensive. The kids loved it, though, the one time we went.
  • Like 4

Dd didn't have any soreness when they put on just the top braces, but today she is in a lot of pain. Ibuprofin/Tylenol takes away the worst of it.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Hugs for your DD.  I hope she feels better tomorrow and the pain goes away sooner than our orthodontist predicted for DD12 here.

• Like 1

Time for bed.  DH is plotting something Christmas-carol-y with the girls.  They start music lessons in September (DD15 will have voice and DD12 will have piano), and DH has pulled his flute out again and I suspect Grandpa has unearthed his mandolin.  I suspect extended family are hoping for a family concert over the holidays.

• Like 3

Time for bed. DH is plotting something Christmas-carol-y with the girls. They start music lessons in September (DD15 will have voice and DD12 will have piano), and DH has pulled his flute out again and I suspect Grandpa has unearthed his mandolin. I suspect extended family are hoping for a family concert over the holidays.

Yay for family Christmas concerts!

I mentioned off-handedly today that because we don't want to risk taking the van on a long trip, we will probably not be going to Grandma and Grandpa's (or anyone else's) house for Christmas this year, and the kids had very positive reactions to the news. They started making all kinds of plans like making lefsa and gingerbread houses and sugar cookies, and going to the candlelight Christmas Eve service at our church, and having/opening presents under our own christmas tree. And there will undoubtedly be a family Christmas concert. It's starting to sound rather nice. :)

• Like 7

Like and hugs.

• Like 1

I bought a window air conditioner unit (like Jean's!) and installed it into my bedroom. The kids and I are all camped out in here.

One of the guys who did a bid today put the cover back on for me and closed up the electrical panel.

My home warranty is covering a new compressor and coil and refrigerant. I have to cover some things to bring it up to code....about $500. Since I am basically getting all new outside ac parts we are going to repair rather than replace now so I have more time to find someone reputable and qualified.

• Like 8

I'm going to bed! But I have to share.... I'm studying Henle Latin on my own with the help of MP's study guides. Tonight I finished units I-II and took the final exam. I added up my final grade and am happy to report I earned a 98% in the class. I am very proud of myself! Veni, vidi, vici! Indeed!

And to all a good-night!

• Like 11

I'm going to bed! But I have to share.... I'm studying Henle Latin on my own with the help of MP's study guides. Tonight I finished units I-II and took the final exam. I added up my final grade and am happy to report I earned a 98% in the class. I am very proud of myself! Veni, vidi, vici! Indeed!

And to all a good-night!

Noice!

• Like 1

Good Tuesday Morning, I think.

Prairie - yay for temporary A/C and a better way to fix the old one!   :hurray:

Jean - Yay for camp lesson success!  I know you're having a great time!   :hurray:

Krissi - Yay for high Latin grades - self study at that!  That's fantastic!   :hurray:

So, after looking at several worse than Taco Bell writing options, cooler heads have prevailed and I'm staying the course with writing across the curriculum.  At least this week, lol.  I may just have to take it one week at a time.  (Wasn't it the "whiiiiiiine" thread where someone shared a good answer to the question, "How long do you plan to keep doing this homeschooling?"  and the veteran mom of many answered, "Well, at least until Friday!")

• Like 7

Hi, everyone! We had a busy day.

Ds math curriculum arrived, but it's too advanced. I ordered something else, and listed that one for sale.

Dd birthday is Wednesday, so we took her out for her birthday dinner tonight. Then she wanted to go to her favorite store, an Oriental grocery store.

When we got back I walked two miles on the treadmill and washed a load of laundry.

Now we're settled in, watching George Clinton.

Have a good night, y'all!

Happy birthday to your DD!   :party:  :party:

• Like 1

Good Morning!

I am following dh to the mechanic with the new car and then taking dh to work. We'll see what the mechanic has to say about issues or repairs - brakes probably need new pads and it may need a new alternator, which is OK because dh can replace that himself. If any major work needs to be done, we just have to figure out a way to make the car fail it's emissions test :D - the dealership said they will give us a full refund if the car doesn't pass.

Then back home for lessons and the kids start their music lessons this afternoon. They are so excited about it. I NEVER had their level of enthusiasm for violin lessons, and I was certainly not dedicated to practicing like they are. Must be dh's genes. :D

Yay for all the triumphs and slightly cooler bedroom!

Gotta go.

Coffee!

Pantz!

• Like 8