Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ugh. I want to take a nap sooooooo badly but there are 5 additional children playing here right now (3 from church plus the 2 surprise drop-off former neighbors). Dh and dd went to the store, and I can't leave things unsupervised. I did get the pork shoulder in the IP and the tater tot casserole filling made and in the freezer.

When do you leave for camp, Jeannie? Will you still be able to check in with us once in a while?

We're on our way right now! I'm checking in while everyone stocks up at Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Hi gang.  I have survived and am starting to perk back up again.

So sorry for deaths in families.  And uncooperative weather.  And surprise drop-offs causing loss of much-needed nappage.  And all of the other foibles and hassles.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

So cheered by call-backs and move-ins accomplished and managing when the time/energy/resources/gumption just isn't there!  Hearty applause for everyone!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

I've been a slug the past 2-3 days.  Today I was less of a slug and got some housework done, and yesterday I DID get more school planning lined out.  I still haven't lined the girls up with Derek Owens Math yet (still awaiting a response to a question I asked about whether the kids can share an email address of if they need to use separate ones to submit their homework), so we will have a delayed start on Math.

I also still have to move a bookcase full of books so I can set up the microscope station, but I did clear the area and mop the floor there.  It is currently drying.  I also took DD15 to Office Depot to pick out planners for her and her sister so they have something in which to track their assignments.  2 planners, some highlighters, some mechanical pencils, and a couple of pencil boxes (for DD12's soap carving tools) = $95.  Sheesh.

The girls' work areas also still need to be cleared/cleaned/tidied, but that can happen during the week when I have their full attention.  Right now they are enjoying what's left of "summer break".

I'm tired again, but I have a bed to make, laundry to dry, and my hour of cardio still to get in.  I really should get that last done today, since I didn't do it the past 3 days.  I tried on Friday, but was just too tired.

• Like 8

Ugh. I want to take a nap sooooooo badly but there are 5 additional children playing here right now (3 from church plus the 2 surprise drop-off former neighbors). Dh and dd went to the store, and I can't leave things unsupervised. I did get the pork shoulder in the IP and the tater tot casserole filling made and in the freezer.

When do you leave for camp, Jeannie? Will you still be able to check in with us once in a while?

Five additional children? Oh my! My blood pressure went up just reading about it.

Oh, and tell me about your tater tot casserole filling. I need to start stocking my freezer and need some new ideas. I'm tired of the old ones.

Took my ds and my sluggish self to a skating party!

Ice or roller?

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing........ COFFEE!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

I am back from chasing waterfalls. Today I did my first "easy" bushwhack. I've a mind to go find the guy who wrote the book and demand a new scale. "Easy" meant a half mile of creeking over very, VERY slippery rocks. We did make it to the falls, and found two impressive old sycamore trees. Both of my boys were able to stand in the middle of the one that had a cave through the bole of the tree! With headroom and shoulder-room to spare. I did fine getting up to the base of the 24ft falls, but on the way back I took a nasty slip on one of the big, flat, slime covered water hazards. Knocked all the wind out of me and I'm going to have one heck of a bruise on my right palm, a matching one on my right elbow and my right knee isn't too happy with me either. But I didn't break anything, and I didn't tear anything doing the splits on another slimy rock a little further along!  :wacko:

Bottom line: Mom-Head needs to go to yoga to improve her balance and flexibility if she wants to keep chasing waterfalls and not stick to the rivers and the lakes that she's used to.

• Like 9

Five additional children? Oh my! My blood pressure went up just reading about it.

Oh, and tell me about your tater tot casserole filling. I need to start stocking my freezer and need some new ideas. I'm tired of the old ones.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important thing........ COFFEE!

Tater tot casserole is basically sautéed mushrooms (& onions if you want), diced ham (I used turkey ham), diced or shredded cheese, frozen mixed veggies, and roughly equal parts mayo and sour cream mixed (it's supposed to be cream-of-something soup; I also added horseradish because it sounded good); mix it all together and freeze. To prepare, thaw out at least mostly, spread in a 9x13 baking dish and top with a package of frozen tater tots. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350ish degrees.

It is one of those recipes that you basically use whatever veggies and cheese and meat you like in whatever quantities look right and put tater tots on top. I usually sprinkle seasoned salt on the tater tots before baking.

I am out of quart sized freezer bags and I may have to throw a hissy fit. Just warning you.

When are these kids going to leave?

I clearly need the cranky pants.

• Like 4

Tater tot casserole is basically sautéed mushrooms (& onions if you want), diced ham (I used turkey ham), diced or shredded cheese, frozen mixed veggies, and roughly equal parts mayo and sour cream mixed (it's supposed to be cream-of-something soup; I also added horseradish because it sounded good); mix it all together and freeze. To prepare, thaw out at least mostly, spread in a 9x13 baking dish and top with a package of frozen tater tots. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350ish degrees.

It is one of those recipes that you basically use whatever veggies and cheese and meat you like in whatever quantities look right and put tater tots on top. I usually sprinkle seasoned salt on the tater tots before baking.

I am out of quart sized freezer bags and I may have to throw a hissy fit. Just warning you.

When are these kids going to leave?

I clearly need the cranky pants.

Ok, now I thnk I will have to try that!
  • Like 2

I shall send the cranky pants, Susan, but I think I need them back tomorrow.  The ac guys have been giving bids at 9K for something that should be about 5K. 

Ouch!  We are angling our fans to blow in your direction.  We tried blowing ourselves, but quickly grew dizzy.

• Like 4

I am back from chasing waterfalls. Today I did my first "easy" bushwhack. I've a mind to go find the guy who wrote the book and demand a new scale. "Easy" meant a half mile of creeking over very, VERY slippery rocks. We did make it to the falls, and found two impressive old sycamore trees. Both of my boys were able to stand in the middle of the one that had a cave through the bole of the tree! With headroom and shoulder-room to spare. I did fine getting up to the base of the 24ft falls, but on the way back I took a nasty slip on one of the big, flat, slime covered water hazards. Knocked all the wind out of me and I'm going to have one heck of a bruise on my right palm, a matching one on my right elbow and my right knee isn't too happy with me either. But I didn't break anything, and I didn't tear anything doing the splits on another slimy rock a little further along! :wacko:

Bottom line: Mom-Head needs to go to yoga to improve her balance and flexibility if she wants to keep chasing waterfalls and not stick to the rivers and the lakes that she's used to.

Ouch!

But it sound like more fun/activity than I had today. So I wish I were you right now, bruises and all.

• Like 2

But it sound like more fun/activity than I had today. So I wish I were you right now, bruises and all. 

I'm scared to ask.

But it was fun in a weird, masochistic way. And at least the water was so cold that I could stop and immerse my injured self every so often.

• Like 1

Ask what? I just had a boring day cleaning. And would much rather have been hiking to/from waterfalls, even if that meant bruises. And sore body parts. Because I feel it more now that I am older.

#notoldyet

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 3

Ask what? I just had a boring day cleaning. And would much rather have been hiking to/from waterfalls, even if that meant bruises. And sore body parts. Because I feel it more now that I am older.

Oh, housecleaning. I wasn't sure what was much worse than doing a complete spread-eagle on my back and having three males bending over me, demanding a status report when I couldn't breathe.  :laugh:

And I am positive that I will be whining about pain tomorrow. My joints are not what they used to be, and they don't care what I think anymore. They will cuss me.

• Like 4

CF--I recommend starting the day with some ibuprofen if you know it's going to be bad. It's easier to stay ahead of the joint pain if you can keep the inflammation down. 

It's 86F in the house, which is cooler than yesterday but still rather warm.  We are being lazy and watching tv and having the fans blow on us. 

My RA meds have a temperature range of 68- 77F so I've been using an evaporative cooling envelope called a Frio to keep them cool.  FWIW, it's awesome.  

• Like 6

CF--I recommend starting the day with some ibuprofen if you know it's going to be bad. It's easier to stay ahead of the joint pain if you can keep the inflammation down. 

First thing I did when we got out of the watercourse was to grab a drink and some ibuprofen.

I hope you get your air conditioning fixed soon. That sounds miserable to me, that kind of heat in the house.

• Like 4

I shall send the cranky pants, Susan, but I think I need them back tomorrow. The ac guys have been giving bids at 9K for something that should be about 5K.

Oh boy. That is a reeeeaaaalllly big bill. Both numbers sound so high to me, but I don't know nuthin' 'bout fixin' no air condishner!

• Like 1

Ds now says that I need to find a clip of a hawk screeching or some other predator so it will stop the invasion.

Owls are nice! Squirrel invasions are not!

I should be happy that my ds is moving on to college and better things, but I'm going to miss teaching him and watching him discover the answers.

((Christina))

Jean the Magnificent is at camp!! Let the fun begin!

Woohoo, Jeannie! You go girl!

It has been almost half an hour since anyone posted. People are not taking this thread seriously. :hat:

I always take this thread seriously! Serious as a heart attack!

I'm still having squirrel problems. Also, it's 85 freaking degrees in my house and my boys won't go to sleep.  Did I mention that I'm supposed to be awake and functional in 5 hours?   :nopity:   :smilielol5:

UghI 85 degrees! No wonder they aren't going to sleep! I'm so sorry! Try ice down their pants or something to cool them off!

I'm going to bed! Busy week ahead. School, dentist for one dd, opthamologist for another dd, piano tuner coming (I love when he comes, he always gives us a short concert when he's done, he's fantastic), both ds's start soccer this week and youth group begins for them, homeschool group meeting/swim party tomorrow afternoon.... Geez Louise! I'm definitely going to bed!

• Like 6

Good Monday Morning!  First "co-op" Monday for the two youngest (and me, since Moms stay).  I love the people in our group, but I'm a little grumpy about it anyway.

(((Christina)))

(((Prairie)))

(((Slache))) - hope Alex starts sleeping better soon!!!

Jean - have a great week!

(((Angi)))

Dawn, if you stop by, I'm thinking about you.   :grouphug:

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 8

I should be happy that my ds is moving on to college and better things, but I'm going to miss teaching him and watching him discover the answers.

He'll be discovering new and different things, many of which he won't realize until he talks to you about them.  You can watch/listen to him coming to those realizations.

I know it's not the same; just letting you know it isn't gone completely.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 6

DO responded to my question about email accounts (can kids share one or should they use different), so I will get them signed up for their math later today.  Today is the first day of our school year and the first day cousins all go to school.  I am also getting myself back on my exercising after having felt poorly for the past few days.

Today's list:

• Breakfast and morning meds 
  • wake kids and get at least one to take a shower
  • everybody dressed, breakfasted, and ready for "class time" by 8:30 AM
  • Start shared subjects, get DD15 to start her laundry, start kids tidying their desks, assign physical activity
  • second breakfast -- scramble some egg whites or boil some eggs
  • personal training -- take a snack for afterwards
  • text kids to remind them of laundry and to keep working
  • grocery shopping
  • return home, put away groceries, check on kids' progress on laundry and school work
  • send other kid through the shower
  • set up DO math for both
  • supper: grilled something
  • sanity check
  • bedtime
  • Like 7

It's Monday!

I am less cranky, having gotten a decent night's sleep. And I just banished the goat from the room, so that's an improvement.

Dd13 gets all her braces on today and while that happens I'm going next door to Publics for stuff.

Gotta go!

Does putting on braces take a while, then?  DD12 will be getting them in a few months.  I've promised her we will try to delay until after Halloween so she can have one last Skittles/trick-or-treat blast before no candy for 2 years.

• Like 3

The girls are both dressed and breakfasted.  I have gone over some of their independent work with each, and we now have a few minutes before the 8:30 school bell (timer) rings for joint class time.  DD12 is Just Dancing for her 30 minutes of daily activity today.

Time for me to get ready for class!

• Like 2

Vivo.

But I can't set my elbow on the desk without a pillow under it. If I ever wanted to know what it feels like to bruise my funny bone, I guess I'm getting educated today. I don't recommend the experience. It isn't very funny after all.

Today I have to meet relatives in town, scat back to the house to continue chores, administer a Latin quiz and a math quiz (and deal with the ensuing angst), but then I'll have the afternoon for writing, planning, and possibly a nap.

• Like 4

Does putting on braces take a while, then? DD12 will be getting them in a few months. I've promised her we will try to delay until after Halloween so she can have one last Skittles/trick-or-treat blast before no candy for 2 years.

They said it will take 30-45 minutes. She has braces on her 4 upper front teeth already, so it might not take that long.

• Like 3

Does putting on braces take a while, then?  DD12 will be getting them in a few months.  I've promised her we will try to delay until after Halloween so she can have one last Skittles/trick-or-treat blast before no candy for 2 years.

Are they doing the impressions on the same day?  We found that the photographs, impressions, and bracketing took about 90 minutes. 

Did I mention ds gets his braces off in 4 weeks? :)

• Like 4

Four of my girlies are on a creative writing kick at the moment.   :hurray:  One of them is writing "The Mistery of the Powered Shugar."   :001_wub:  (Creative Writing and Creative Spelling.   :)  )

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

I am so glad that I've got this housekeeping thing down to an orderly progression. I did my bathroom and my room, and I am so glad that there is only one room left for me to do, because I am more tired than I thought. Sadly, the planning session is sitting on my bed, so I must get through it before I nap.

Miles to go before I nap, miles to go before I nap.

• Like 3