• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good Saturday Morning!

I'm outta likes again.

We're having ds's birthday party today.  I'm a little uncertain on how many are coming - a couple of vague RSVPs, so we'll probably be eating leftover pizza for a week, lol.  I still need to do a few minor things to get ready, plus make cupcakes.  First COFFEE.  Then shower.  (For the record, I don't think I have ever smelled like goat.)  Hmmmm, another potential signature quote......

Hope everyone has a good day!  

• Like 7

Good Morning. It is Saturday.

I have to go grocery shopping today.

My brother is coming tomorrow. His birthday was on the first. His wife has irritated me greatly the last few times they have come down. I'm tempted to tell him to leave her at home. :D I won't, of course, but I would love to.

I have never had very much luck with an HP printer. The last one I had drove me crazy, and I said I would never buy another one. It would not connect to the computer. We installed new drivers, connected it via USB, uninstalled and reinstalled. I trashed it. I refused to give it to anyone, because it was a piece of junk. I now have a brother laser. It is only black and white, but it does fabulous.

I hope y'all have a beautiful day.

• Like 6

Our van needs 4 new tires and an alignment. So nobody gets to eat for the next two months. Grrr.

We have had HP office-pro printers forever (our first one was a hand-me-down from my sister) and buy refurbished ink things from Amazon. (A set of color/black is less than $20. HP ink IS a fortune.) I do seem to remember having issues with them on occassion, but I have two techies in house so they always fix whatever the problem is.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

I cut DS and DH's hair, and they're off to the Y. I have ketchupped.

This week, I haven't been on here much because I took all DS's toys and books out of his room, moved his dresser into the closet, put back the books and toys he's keeping (he made the decisions on toys and got tired & let me do the books), sorted everything into bags/boxes (give to a friend, drop off at Goodwill, or sell at the consignment sale), and entered all the consignment items into the computer and printed the tags.  :svengo:  His room looks so, so much better. (Mine looks worse, because there are about 5 moving boxes full of stuff that we can't drop off for 6 weeks.)

Now time for de-goating. Happy weekend, y'all!

• Like 9

Horrific, isn't it?

Thank goodness DD was outgrowing the very little kid shows by the time that one came out! :lol:

Forget outgrowing -- some things were just BANNED in our house due to the high annoyance factor.

• Like 9

Hoping and praying you passed with flying colors, Tessamae.

:grouphug: critter

I am back. There were many, many people there, and more coming in. He was a very active member of the community. My cousin is doing very well for the moment. I think she is in shock right now, and it hasn't hit home yet. She has a lot of support though and good family.

more hugs for the whole lot of you.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Can I just say that it's really weird getting a text at 10 o'clock at night from a 17 year old boy suggesting a LotR movie marathon with one's not-quite 14 year old daughter.  :blink:

Did he think he was texting your daughter, or did he know he was texting you?

Okay, that post sounded even weirder than reality.  They just got out of youth group.  DD gets a ride to the boys' house WITH HIS PARENTS, because it's halfway to our house (we're a ways from the church.)  And they are both Tolkien geeks.  There's nothing nefarious. But  STILL.  I'm not ready for this. (nor are they.  I'm the one freaked out.)

Daytime marathon at YOUR house with one or the other of you watching with them (or at least able to see full torsos) the entire time -- okay, especially if there are other kids watching, too (make it a party).

Two teens alone in a darkened room for hours on end?  Nope, not gonna happen.

No! Please don't get an HP! The ink is an absolute fortune. Here's why I picked the one I did: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/617457-name-that-printer

I've started out with Canons and Epsons, and have stuck with HPs for years. They've always been compatible with whatever I've thrown at them, and never had a problem. Sometimes, it's better I stick with what I know. The other ink may be cheap, but how long do they last?

• Like 3

Good Morning. It is Saturday.

I have to go grocery shopping today.

My brother is coming tomorrow. His birthday was on the first. His wife has irritated me greatly the last few times they have come down. I'm tempted to tell him to leave her at home. :D I won't, of course, but I would love to.

I have never had very much luck with an HP printer. The last one I had drove me crazy, and I said I would never buy another one. It would not connect to the computer. We installed new drivers, connected it via USB, uninstalled and reinstalled. I trashed it. I refused to give it to anyone, because it was a piece of junk. I now have a brother laser. It is only black and white, but it does fabulous.

I hope y'all have a beautiful day.

I have not researched printers lately, but I have also had good luck with my Brother black and white laser.  

Oh, yeah, I've had Brothers too.

• Like 1

Good morning, all!

We had a lot of fun at the melodrama last night.  Apparently MIL really needed a treat like that just now, so extra bonus!

I blew a bunch of money on popcorn (for throwing).  With coaching DD12 pulled off a maneuver that received applause from the entire place -- she managed to sneak up behind another guest (one who is ALWAYS there and loves -- shoot, STARTS -- the popcorn fights that break out pre-show) without him knowing and dumped an entire bag of popcorn over his head.  His wife saw DD coming and kept a straight face, then led the applause and laughter afterwards.  

This is a very small troupe of actors who put on shows for very low admission.  I don't think they actually make any money off of it, they just do it for fun and entertainment, and last night was opening night for this play.  They were glad to see us AND that guy and his wife in the audience because they knew we'd set a rousing example for the rest of the audience (our favorite actress stopped by our table pre-show to tell us so).

The place is right by some train tracks (in a reproduction of an old depot), so every time a train comes by everyone (actors lead it) shouts, "trai-ai-ai-ai-ai-n!" and stomps their feet on the floor to mimic the rumbling -- done for fun since no one can hear the play over the train anyway.  There was some GREAT timing last night -- more trains than usual -- as the villain was trying to threaten to tie one heroine to some tracks a train interrupted.  "Oh look, you missed it!"  Then the heroine tells the villain why that plan doesn't work -- the train tracks are miles away (another train came by, followed by lengthy discussion of just how far away the tracks are) and the next train isn't due until a week from Thursday (yup, a 3rd train!).

All in all a VERY fun evening was had by all.   :laugh:

• Like 9

Good Morninig, all! We're all a little slow this morning. Stayed up too late watching the Opening Ceremonies. Didn't even finish. Oldest DS, oldest DD and I were the hold outs and even then we all fell asleep on couches. I woke up after 11:00 and the parade of nations was still going on. I love that part. They all walk in with such pride and excitement... from the huge delegations like the US and France and Germany to those little delegations with only 2 or 3 representatives. It's all the same. Just beautiful!

Can I just say that it's really weird getting a text at 10 o'clock at night from a 17 year old boy suggesting a LotR movie marathon with one's not-quite 14 year old daughter.  :blink:

It's bazooka time.

oh yeah!! 

Dude. You have no idea.

Actually, we totally have the weaponry covered.  But I think that shopping for the excavator attachment for the tractor needs to be expedited.

Post haste. :blink:

well, that's a relief!
  • Like 5

Good morning, all!

We had a lot of fun at the melodrama last night. Apparently MIL really needed a treat like that just now, so extra bonus!

I blew a bunch of money on popcorn (for throwing). With coaching DD12 pulled off a maneuver that received applause from the entire place -- she managed to sneak up behind another guest (one who is ALWAYS there and loves -- shoot, STARTS -- the popcorn fights that break out pre-show) without him knowing and dumped an entire bag of popcorn over his head. His wife saw DD coming and kept a straight face, then led the applause and laughter afterwards.

This is a very small troupe of actors who put on shows for very low admission. I don't think they actually make any money off of it, they just do it for fun and entertainment, and last night was opening night for this play. They were glad to see us AND that guy and his wife in the audience because they knew we'd set a rousing example for the rest of the audience (our favorite actress stopped by our table pre-show to tell us so).

The place is right by some train tracks (in a reproduction of an old depot), so every time a train comes by everyone (actors lead it) shouts, "trai-ai-ai-ai-ai-n!" and stomps their feet on the floor to mimic the rumbling -- done for fun since no one can hear the play over the train anyway. There was some GREAT timing last night -- more trains than usual -- as the villain was trying to threaten to tie one heroine to some tracks a train interrupted. "Oh look, you missed it!" Then the heroine tells the villain why that plan doesn't work -- the train tracks are miles away (another train came by, followed by lengthy discussion of just how far away the tracks are) and the next train isn't due until a week from Thursday (yup, a 3rd train!).

All in all a VERY fun evening was had by all. :laugh:

This sounds awesome! So fun!!

• Like 2

I am tackling Mt. Laundry. Dh tried to help but I shooed him away because he is still having pinched-nerve trouble, though it is a little better.

The furnished apartment ds is moving into has full sized beds. Guess what size bedding we don't own any of?

I have let the kids put off their chores for a while so they can go play with their neighbor friend who just got back from a 2-week trip to London with his mom. He said they had a great time.

Oh, he bought back a 2 pence coin for each of the kids. Now everyone is singing "feed the birds, tuppence a bag..." :D

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

AMJ - the melodrama sounds like fun! Glad you all had a good time!

Lynn, good luck with the bd party!

Renai, we have an HP and it's done very well for us but, yes, ink does cost a fortune.

Whitehawk, kudos for cleaning. We need to do that, too!

Susan, boo on the new tires. Well, I'm glad you're getting the, because... well, ya gotta have 'em, but it is expensive!

Today... I get to bake! We're in charge of refreshments after church tomorrow. And I said I'd bring rolls to the BBQ we're going to tonight,

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

[i have nothing to say about your brother's wife that is edifying. Hence moving on to printer.]

See, we love our HP. It has been a workhorse for us. :hat:

• Like 2

Elephant Ninja Bazooka Brigaide at your service, ma'am!

• Like 5

Did he think he was texting your daughter, or did he know he was texting you?

He was definitely texting me. Truly, he's a very nice, extremely well-parented young man.  It's just that they had just been talking about it in the car on the way home from youth group, so he texted me about it probably not really thinking about the time. The movie-watching would take place at his home, with his parents and hordes of siblings watching as well. But still.  Oof.  :blink:

• Like 3

Daytime marathon at YOUR house with one or the other of you watching with them (or at least able to see full torsos) the entire time -- okay, especially if there are other kids watching, too (make it a party).

Two teens alone in a darkened room for hours on end?  Nope, not gonna happen.

Good Lord, no.

As it is, his mom and I are tightly managing the friendship.  It's honestly really hard.  Two or three years ago they'd have been besties; their interests are sooooo alike.  And they are both really, really good kids.  BUT it's not two or three years ago, they're both teenagers, and his mom and I are both enormously big poopyheads (Well, actually the kids don't think this.  They are on board with having help navigating the friendship and minimizing the awkward.  Mom and I collude regularly and I know that she discusses the situation with Boy in much the same manner as I discuss the situation with Girl.  [i will also mention that DD is in NO WAY at the "interested in boys" phase; it's just that's she's developed awareness of the "otherness," IFKWIM.])

Holy cow, this age is hard. I remember thinking the twos and threes were hard. Stupid me.

• Like 7

Good morning, all!

We had a lot of fun at the melodrama last night. Apparently MIL really needed a treat like that just now, so extra bonus!

I blew a bunch of money on popcorn (for throwing). With coaching DD12 pulled off a maneuver that received applause from the entire place -- she managed to sneak up behind another guest (one who is ALWAYS there and loves -- shoot, STARTS -- the popcorn fights that break out pre-show) without him knowing and dumped an entire bag of popcorn over his head. His wife saw DD coming and kept a straight face, then led the applause and laughter afterwards.

This is a very small troupe of actors who put on shows for very low admission. I don't think they actually make any money off of it, they just do it for fun and entertainment, and last night was opening night for this play. They were glad to see us AND that guy and his wife in the audience because they knew we'd set a rousing example for the rest of the audience (our favorite actress stopped by our table pre-show to tell us so).

The place is right by some train tracks (in a reproduction of an old depot), so every time a train comes by everyone (actors lead it) shouts, "trai-ai-ai-ai-ai-n!" and stomps their feet on the floor to mimic the rumbling -- done for fun since no one can hear the play over the train anyway. There was some GREAT timing last night -- more trains than usual -- as the villain was trying to threaten to tie one heroine to some tracks a train interrupted. "Oh look, you missed it!" Then the heroine tells the villain why that plan doesn't work -- the train tracks are miles away (another train came by, followed by lengthy discussion of just how far away the tracks are) and the next train isn't due until a week from Thursday (yup, a 3rd train!).

All in all a VERY fun evening was had by all. :laugh:

I wish my husband was in to this sort of thing. He's not. At all.

Good morning. I had lots and lots and lots of sleep. The "boys " were out to a Men's Night Bible study and movie last night. Dd and I had a relaxing evening and then went to bed. I sort of heard the boys roll in around 1Pm but mostly slept through. Everyone is sleeping in this morning. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

I let my kids watch old Mickey, old Loony Tunes, The Magic School Bus, and Bernstein Bears on YouTube. They used to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which wasn't bad at all, but not as good as what they watch now.

Not that they watch much of anything. We spend most of our time reciting poetry and oil painting in the woods behind our cabin.

• Like 5

I let my kids watch old Mickey, old Loony Tunes, The Magic School Bus, and Bernstein Bears on YouTube. They used to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which wasn't bad at all, but not as good as what they watch now.

Not that they watch much of anything. We spend most of our time reciting poetry and oil painting in the woods behind our cabin.

:LOL:

• Like 2

Dds18 and 13 have gone backpack shopping and dropping off dh at the mechanic's and I have kicked all the neighbor kids out. I am waiting for ds21 to make an appearance so we can look into buying books for the semester (he only needs 2!) and see if I can get him to install the new shower rod. Laundry is put away. I need to clean my bedroom and dustmop the floor.

• Like 3

I wrestled with the weeds this morning while dh mowed the lawn. We trimmed back our bushes and trees, showered, and are now collapsed on the couch for a bit.  Ds did the dishes and laundry and watched the rest of our kids do their morning chores rather than pull weeds. I enjoyed the quiet.

ETA: Booya

And after getting our air conditioning bill, this idea looks interesting:

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 8

Oy. As soon as dh started the van at the shop, it started making the intermittent noise that they've never been able to hear in the shop. So dh got the mechanic to come over and he is pretty sure it's the timing chain. Which means an additional couple of months of no food.

(I'm kidding, really. We have money in an emergency fund to pay for it. It is just painful with all the other start-of-school-year expenses.)

• Like 1

I wrestled with the weeds this morning while dh mowed the lawn. We trimmed back our bushes and trees, showered, and are now collapsed on the couch for a bit.  Ds did the dishes and laundry and watched the rest of our kids do their morning chores rather than pull weeds. I enjoyed the quiet.

ETA: Booya

And after getting our air conditioning bill, this idea looks interesting:

Ds actually made something like that a couple of years ago.  We then ended up trashing it and getting a portable a/c that worked much better. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of stopping my allergy shots.  I'm on a drug now that is supposed to regulate my immune system.  And the allergy shots are insanely expensive and the insurance company is increasing our deductible every single year now so we end up paying for so much of it.  I have medical bills stacking up.  The last straw is that the last vial which was supposed to last me until October ran out yesterday.  And I measured exactly the amounts they told me into the syringe.  The insurance company is already refusing to pay for this vial since the last one shattered so I doubt that it will go over well that I'm asking for more antigen already. 

• Like 1

Good to know, Jean.

I'm barely holding it together with the ac at 78F and the fans blowing.  If we crank it any higher as we save up for a new ac, I need some options (hence my exploration into cooling towels, etc.).  The original electric bill was survivable, but the summer surcharges were :scared:   :crying:  :cursing: . 

• Like 2

I think I peed myself.  Maybe I should have stopped at two cups of coffee.

:lol:

• Like 6