Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm so dark I can't be seen at night. Or in the daytime in the shade, for that matter. :D

I used to have many many migraines, thus the narc script. The occurrences have reduced dramatically when I started taking calcium and magnesium supplements. Apparently, magnesium and vitamin C can delay labor. Must be why dd2 came at 41w, 3d.

Car accidents suck. The fact that your face feels sensations other than where you expect is pretty fascinating.

I take Natural Calm magnesium supplements every day and Vit B2 for migraine prevention.  I do think it helps some.  

All of my babies were early.  I never saw a due date pregnant.  I'm fun like that.

• Like 1

Yeah, I realized that after I posted.

And I OWN that I don't accessorize!  Or wear make-up!  Or high heels!  And I feel neckties and panty hose are torture devices!  Who wants to make something of it?!?  *crazedJackieChan/BruceLeehybrid icon here*

I'm so dark I can't be seen at night. Or in the daytime in the shade, for that matter. :D

I used to have many many migraines, thus the narc script. The occurrences have reduced dramatically when I started taking calcium and magnesium supplements. Apparently, magnesium and vitamin C can delay labor. Must be why dd2 came at 41w, 3d.

Car accidents suck. The fact that your face feels sensations other than where you expect is pretty fascinating.

It's been a dozen or so years now, so it's the new normal and I have to think about it to notice it.  A couple of friends with tinnitus say the same thing.    

My nose is always cold now. That's why I love warm baby cheeks and necks.  Adults don't really go for me nuzzling them just to warm my nose.   

• Like 2

I have other things that are wrong with me like my heart randomly stopping for 20 seconds at a time, so no. Boy did the oral surgeon find that interesting. He just stopped looked at me and I gave him a thumbs up.

You should have told him he was what made your heart stop, and batted your eyes.  He likely would have keeled over!

Oh, wait.  This is the oral surgeon you're talking about.  No, you were right to not mess with the guy fixing the big jagged boo-boo.

Go tell your DH that HE'S the cause instead.

• Like 1

My mouth hurts. :crying:

Arrgh in frustration and sympathy!  I'm sorry your mouth hurts.  I was liking every post of yours now until my likes ran out.  They ran out faster than I expected.

It's going on bedtime for the kiddies here, so I'll notify DD10.  Doubtlessly she will send the Dreamland contingent to shower you with love and hugs while you sleep.  So please do get some sleep sometime tonight.

But would I swim better with thyroid pills?  They are Armour Thyroid, if that matters.  She is supposed to take one and a half pills per day, but the pills are not notched so when I try to split them a third just crumbles and then the rest is too much.  I know I need a pill splitter or some such, but I told dh for now I am giving her one pill on one day and two pills on the next day and so on.  That sounds reasonable, right?  The way I'm trying to do it now is not exact, and I'm wasting pills.  One time I tried to give her a half pill that had broken and part of it was a sliver.  She shakes and can hardly take the whole ones.  

That's rough.

My grandmother had thyroid issues her whole life.  In old age, with Alzheimers, her numbers always seemed to be off.  

In all seriousness, this actually really is scary.  How often does it happen?

This is scary too.

I agree about both posts.  As Matriarch I now order you both to take better care of yourselves and get these issues checked out.

• Like 1

I'm white too!  Not sure if I glow though...

Migraines must be misery.  I rarely have them.  But sinus infections plague me (not helped by allergies).  Neti-Pot has helped tremendously, as long as I'm diligent about using it (but I tend not to be).

SPD I know about, of course, since I diagnosed you.  Go me!  :hurray:

Brain damage was not exactly fun at the time of the car accident, but recovery was kind of fascinating.  I was always one of those people who had a hard time recognizing faces; but now I excel at it.  On the other hand, I'd just learned Greek at the time and lost most of what I had learned; never really did get back up to full speed with it again.  Most of my face is permanently numb, and if I poke one part of my cheek, I feel the sensation in another part.  

Cool.  Maybe you and my Dad should compare notes sometime.  He sustained his head injuries in a plane crash.  For a while he was using ballroom dance to gauge when another part of his brain had rewired.  If another dance step returned then another bit of his brain was functional again.

• Like 2

And I OWN that I don't accessorize!  Or wear make-up!  Or high heels!  And I feel neckties and panty hose are torture devices!  Who wants to make something of it?!?  *crazedJackieChan/BruceLeehybrid icon here*

I don't either, on almost all counts. I will put on earrings at times. Since I have short hair, and a not-so-thin face, earrings help me look female (other than having boobs and a big butt). I usually forget though. If I go out, (IF), I'll put on a necklace. I love beautiful jewelry; I just hardly wear it.

Maybe I have hypothyroidism.  Should I take some of Nan's thyroid pills and see if my functioning improves???  (J/K!)

Also, there was something else, but I forget....

There are real dangers to getting too much thyroid hormone.  I once had heart palpitations from having too much.  Not a good thing.

DD10 nearly caused them again.  She snuck up on me on the periphery of my vision.  I thought she was a spider on my shoulder.

*shudder*

• Like 1

Oh, and speaking of JackieChan/BruceLee icon, there is a video going around on fb about this 3 or 4 year kid that copies every move of Bruce Lee's with the scene playing in the background. I believe he was doing Game of Death (yes I'm pathetic enough to know Bruce Lee scenes!). The kid was awesome!

Cool.  Maybe you and my Dad should compare notes sometime.  He sustained his head injuries in a plane crash.  For a while he was using ballroom dance to gauge when another part of his brain had rewired.  If another dance step returned then another bit of his brain was functional again.

YES!

Most people don't get me when I say how cool it was to experience my own brain rewiring.  Brains fascinate me now. 

• Like 2

There are real dangers to getting too much thyroid hormone.  I once had heart palpitations from having too much.  Not a good thing.

DD10 nearly caused them again.  She snuck up on me on the periphery of my vision.  I thought she was a spider on my shoulder.

*shudder*

Oooh. I was able to like this post. How'd I do that?

YES!

Most people don't get me when I say how cool it was to experience my own brain rewiring.  Brains fascinate me now. 

I did a class a few weeks ago all about brain functioning and learning. I was having to read some stuff outloud, and my daughter was even intrigued. The brain truly is fascinating. And the thing about dying brain cells not regenerating - false. Neurogenesis is a thing.

• Like 4

I don't even own a pair of panty hose.  If panty hose are required for an event, I just will not go.

Well, you are in TX.  I think it gets hot there.   :svengo:  

I remember visiting in hotter-than-he!!- Georgia when I was around 12 yo.  To get ready for church after a hot shower, I had to use a hair dryer, and hot curlers, and put on panty hose.  What were we thinking? 

I think getting rid of panty hose might have been more important than getting the vote. 

• Like 3

I did a class a few weeks ago all about brain functioning and learning. I was having to read some stuff outloud, and my daughter was even intrigued. The brain truly is fascinating. And the thing about dying brain cells not regenerating - false. Neurogenesis is a thing.

It just doesn't happen until the kids move out.  Until then, I'm down to my last remaining two cells. 

• Like 3

Best news I've heard all day!  Mine need all the regeneration they can get!

• Like 3

There are real dangers to getting too much thyroid hormone. I once had heart palpitations from having too much. Not a good thing.

DD10 nearly caused them again. She snuck up on me on the periphery of my vision. I thought she was a spider on my shoulder.

*shudder*

I promise I would never take Nan's thyroid pills. The Ativan? Depends on the day.

(Just kidding! I never took her Ativan, either!)

Quakers - I meant that I thought you'd already mentioned your brain damage.

Renai - I now use wine to lessen a migraine. It's not the alcohol, it's something else in it. I don't know what it's called, but you can buy alcohol free wine pills at GNC.

The weirdest friggen bug has gone through our family today. Immense pain behind your belly button for about 10 minutes. First John this morning, then Matt this afternoon, now me. The pain was horrible. Like 911 horrible. John asked to go to the doctor first thing this morning and I nearly vomited from the pain.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks, a neurologist --- fun read.   He's the guy who wrote Awakenings, which is autobiographical.   

Renai - I now use wine to lessen a migraine. It's not the alcohol, it's something else in it. I don't know what it's called, but you can buy alcohol free wine pills at GNC.

The weirdest friggen bug has gone through our family today. Immense pain behind your belly button for about 10 minutes. First John this morning, then Matt this afternoon, now me. The pain was horrible. Like 911 horrible. John asked to go to the doctor first thing this morning and I nearly vomited from the pain.

Durn.  Then I probably did, which is just further proof of my brain damage. Or at least of my mommy-brain.   :D   

• Like 2

Ugh!  Food poisoning?

But would I swim better with thyroid pills?  They are Armour Thyroid, if that matters.  She is supposed to take one and a half pills per day, but the pills are not notched so when I try to split them a third just crumbles and then the rest is too much.  I know I need a pill splitter or some such, but I told dh for now I am giving her one pill on one day and two pills on the next day and so on.  That sounds reasonable, right?  The way I'm trying to do it now is not exact, and I'm wasting pills.  One time I tried to give her a half pill that had broken and part of it was a sliver.  She shakes and can hardly take the whole ones.  

I take Armour Thyroid.  What size dose is she supposed to be taking?  The pills come in different sizes, so maybe her prescription needs to change to a different size of pill.

On the days you are giving her two pills are you giving them to her at the same time, or spreading them out?  I recommend spreading them out in order to not give her too much at any one time (one in the morning and one in the evening).  However, this requires making sure the timing of the doses doesn't fall too close to other medications if they need to be taken hours apart.

It's been a dozen or so years now, so it's the new normal and I have to think about it to notice it.  A couple of friends with tinnitus say the same thing.    

My nose is always cold now. That's why I love warm baby cheeks and necks.  Adults don't really go for me nuzzling them just to warm my nose.   

Arghety arrgh!

I have tinnitus.  For nearly 20 years now, I think.  One does get used to it, but there are times it's worse and times it's better.  It drove me nearly insane for the first 2 or 3 months, however.  I had sleep deprivation until I grew so tired I just slept through it.

I think I saw a knitted nose warmer in a movie somewhere sometime, kind of like an eye patch but knitted and over the nose.  Have you tried something like that?  :laugh:

• Like 1

I take Armour Thyroid. What size dose is she supposed to be taking? The pills come in different sizes, so maybe her prescription needs to change to a different size of pill.

On the days you are giving her two pills are you giving them to her at the same time, or spreading them out? I recommend spreading them out in order to not give her too much at any one time (one in the morning and one in the evening). However, this requires making sure the timing of the doses doesn't fall too close to other medications if they need to be taken hours apart.

It's 45 mg. I have 30 mg pills. The other meds are all psychotropics. This is helpful. Thank you! I will speak to the nurse about it on Wednesday. It just became an issue because I had been using the ones from the facility which were pre split but they ran out and now I have whole ones.

Arghety arrgh!

I have tinnitus. For nearly 20 years now, I think. One does get used to it, but there are times it's worse and times it's better. It drove me nearly insane for the first 2 or 3 months, however. I had sleep deprivation until I grew so tired I just slept through it.

I think I saw a knitted nose warmer in a movie somewhere sometime, kind of like an eye patch but knitted and over the nose. Have you tried something like that? :laugh:

My mother had tinnitus. She adjusted to it. (((Hugs())

He is a long grudge-holder, too.

I am grateful that my kids take turns torturing me.  Yesterday it was ds14.  Today it is ds12.  

DD13 here has been declaring that she is going to be an awesome Mom from learning what NOT to do from me.  So I guess I'm still teaching even when I'm not lecturing!

I found out today that National Teacher's Day and Teacher Appreciation Week got overlooked earlier this month.  I think I might tell the girls all about those observances tomorrow.  Also, in addition to Mother's Day and Father's Day there is a Parents' Day in July.  I think the kids owe me some apples and maybe some board cleaning, and they should award us more hugs on Parents' Day.  Hopefully the apples won't be the applesauce packets I bought for Aikido snacks.

One of the advantages of being the adult/teacher/person in authority is we can institute observances of holidays, no matter how obscure, if we feel the need.  Bwa ha ha.

• Like 2

Arghety arrgh!

I have tinnitus.  For nearly 20 years now, I think.  One does get used to it, but there are times it's worse and times it's better.  It drove me nearly insane for the first 2 or 3 months, however.  I had sleep deprivation until I grew so tired I just slept through it.

I think I saw a knitted nose warmer in a movie somewhere sometime, kind of like an eye patch but knitted and over the nose.  Have you tried something like that?  :laugh:

That is a great idea! When I'm old enough to really not care what people think of me, I may just do that.  

The tinnitus really must be rough.  Do doctors know what causes that?  Is it just genetic?

I don't even own a pair of panty hose.  If panty hose are required for an event, I just will not go.

I will wear knee high stockings on occasion, but it's for me.  If I don't have some sort of sock most shoes give me blisters.  It was a mark of GREAT respect and grief that I spent a lengthy amount of time wrangling myself into an actual pair of pantyhose for SIL's father's funeral.  Then I wrecked them walking around with the toddler to keep him quiet during the graveside service.

• Like 1

What does this even mean????? Slache said this the other day and I still don't get it.

I keep clicking the little Like button to give you more likes, and it keeps using up each like I try to give you!

• Like 1

I don't either, on almost all counts. I will put on earrings at times. Since I have short hair, and a not-so-thin face, earrings help me look female (other than having boobs and a big butt). I usually forget though. If I go out, (IF), I'll put on a necklace. I love beautiful jewelry; I just hardly wear it.

I get all jittery if I wear metal jewelry for very long, and I have a tendency to get tangled in necklaces.  I used to try to wear jewelry and I could for a little while, but for the most part I just don't.  Not even my wedding and engagement rings, which don't fit now anyway.  DH doesn't mind -- he has said so on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

YES!

Dad has spent the last 22 years keeping detailed color-coded notes in a calendar on symptoms, how he feels, what he notices working again or not working again, etc.  He wants to leave his brain to science when he dies.  He wanted my help finding him someplace to take it, but he won't move down here where I stand a chance of finding a brain bank that actually would use his brain to study brain damage.

But Dad has always loved being his own case study.

• Like 4

Is it ALL gone, the mystery pain?  If any of you feel it again get to a doctor, and ask them to check for infection.

A few years ago I had a pain that wouldn't quit in my chest.  In-laws came over to stay with the girls and DH took me to an ER.  They poked, prodded, tested, and confirmed that it wasn't a heart attack, hernia, acid reflux, or injury.  They gave me pain meds and instructions to check in with my own doctor.  I checked in with my own the next day, and he poked, prodded, and reviewed the images and papers from the ER.  He gave me more meds for the pain.  I called back a day or two later because I STILL had the pain (the meds only dulled it), and he prescribed me antibiotics on the off chance it was an infection no one caught (because no one actually checked for infection).  The antibiotics did the trick -- the pain just stopped.  It WAS an infection.

A few weeks ago when I landed in an ER again throwing up and in pain it was another infection.

If it persists get seen and get checked for infection.

It's 45 mg. I have 30 mg pills. The other meds are all psychotropics. This is helpful. Thank you! I will speak to the nurse about it on Wednesday. It just became an issue because I had been using the ones from the facility which were pre split but they ran out and now I have whole ones.

Oh, those are tiny!  I take 180 mg (3 grains) each day.  You have 1/2 grain tablets, then (1 grain = 60 mg), which are likely the smallest tablets available.

Do talk to the nurse about how to dose her with those pills.  Splitting pills is a real pain, and it's hard to get the correct amount when the pill crumbles or shatters.  The nurse will know how to get what you need.

Is it ALL gone, the mystery pain? If any of you feel it again get to a doctor, and ask them to check for infection.

A few years ago I had a pain that wouldn't quit in my chest. In-laws came over to stay with the girls and DH took me to an ER. They poked, prodded, tested, and confirmed that it wasn't a heart attack, hernia, acid reflux, or injury. They gave me pain meds and instructions to check in with my own doctor. I checked in with my own the next day, and he poked, prodded, and reviewed the images and papers from the ER. He gave me more meds for the pain. I called back a day or two later because I STILL had the pain (the meds only dulled it), and he prescribed me antibiotics on the off chance it was an infection no one caught (because no one actually checked for infection). The antibiotics did the trick -- the pain just stopped. It WAS an infection.

A few weeks ago when I landed in an ER again throwing up and in pain it was another infection.

If it persists get seen and get checked for infection.

Wow. Thanks. It's gone.

Oh, those are tiny! I take 180 mg (3 grains) each day. You have 1/2 grain tablets, then (1 grain = 60 mg), which are likely the smallest tablets available.

Do talk to the nurse about how to dose her with those pills. Splitting pills is a real pain, and it's hard to get the correct amount when the pill crumbles or shatters. The nurse will know how to get what you need.

Very interesting. She is on a really low dose, apparently.

That is a great idea! When I'm old enough to really not care what people think of me, I may just do that.  

The tinnitus really must be rough.  Do doctors know what causes that?  Is it just genetic?

There are lots of different causes, some treatable.  In my case it is believed to be hereditary hearing loss (not treatable), and each note of ringing will be there until I can no longer hear that frequency at all in that ear.  Still, it has been several years since I was seen by and ENT and I really should get my hearing checked again to see if it's bad enough to warrant hearing aids yet.  I keep hoping they will come up with some way to get rid of it without me losing more of my hearing, but no luck yet.

I have found that on occasion some really great acoustics with melodious music can sort of cancel out the ringing for a spell.  There's a local venue that a couple of times a year gets in a musician or two that I like, so we go when we can.  I get that relief in bits and pieces during the concerts, at least.  It's like sinking into a wonderfully fluffy feather bed when it's blizzardy outside, only auditorially.

• Like 1