Menu

Ignore this thread!

Some of us like filling up our email account with notices that the thread has been posted to.  I received a bajillion emails today. Each one is worth a point. I should bequeath some to the less fortunate. 

However, I failed the Texas quiz. Does this mean I get booted?

Maybe I'll redeem myself by finding that kilt-wearing fireman.

Now where was the link to the spin-off thread?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545850-thread-what-thread-so-of-ignore-this-thread/

• Like 1

I'm reading T. S. Eliot by a fireplace at my editor's country home in South Carolina, and am way too happy right now to pay any attention whatsoever to the message boards.  :001_tt2:

SWB

SWB - You are The. Best. Ever.     

And…. wahooo wahooo wahooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

infinity points for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

(Sorry, Former Queen Slache, but you're ousted.  However, since I like you, I will not exile or hang you, and you may keep your points and visit my palace any ole' time you like.  I like to keep my enemies close by)

• Like 3

SWB - You are The. Best. Ever.     

And…. wahooo wahooo wahooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

infinity points for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

(Sorry, Former Queen Slache, but you're ousted.  However, since I like you, I will not exile or hang you, and you may keep your points and visit my palace any ole' time you like.  I like to keep my enemies close by)

I'm so irritated by the other 3 threads right now I don't even care. I'm going over to the exercise thread. They appreciate me there.

And for what it's worth I was the only person who screamed loud enough to get Susan's attention, so I'm taking credit for that one.

• Like 6

I'm so irritated by the other 3 threads right now I don't even care. I'm going over to the exercise thread. They appreciate me there.

And for what it's worth I was the only person who screamed loud enough to get Susan's attention, so I'm taking credit for that one.

Ummmm, let me think about that for a minute.

No.  Just no.

• Like 2

Alright alright….

Tex -- in spite of your poor logic, you may have your 1000 points.  You were indeed a benevolent dictator.  Power-hungry, but benevolent.

Slache - YOU ARE EXTREMELY GIFTED AT SCREAMING.  I'm not really sure how that can contribute to my administration, but because you had me up laughing til 1am while dh was finishing that two-thumbs-down brad pitt flick, I'll try to think of something.  

Meanwhile, I MUST KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE YOUR USERNAME.  Ch makes three sounds: /ch/, /k/, and /sh/.  And that dang final "e" is sooooooo unpredictable.  

Ellie??????  Oh, ELLLLLLLLLLLLLie!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Where are you when I need you?

• Like 1

This is not how I got the name but it works.

Rachel>Rache>Slache. I've also been called Chachel (think Rachel) Sludge ( :glare:), Sledge (I used to work construction and I am *strong*), and Slater. My husband calls me Machel.  :001_wub:

Eta: And DeSlacheable! That's what started the whole thing.

• Like 1

Serious comment (is that allowed?) about the TV thing.

My house is clean and we eat home cooked meals 5-6 nights a week. I read everyday, am studying Greek, learning guitar, go hiking regularly, and play with my kids for at least an hour everyday. Everyone that I have convinced to toss their televisions, purge their movies and cancel their Netflix accounts (granted there's only 3 of them) have thanked me every time I see them and have beautiful stories about how it transformed their families. Maybe you should consider it. People spend way more time watching TV than they realize. Way more time. What could you accomplish in that time? I know I've been very active on the hive lately, but that's only because of a bum foot. I'm usually having too much fun to be on a computer all day.

This is actually very cool. I'd have to divorce to ditch the tv and movies. And the kids would probably not want to live with me.

But while laid up...you should watch The Princess Bride.

Rachel>Rache>Slache. I've also been called Chachel (think Rachel) Sludge ( :glare:), Sledge (I used to work construction and I am *strong*), and Slater. My husband calls me Machel.  :001_wub:

Your name is pronounced like "slash" because I said so.

• Like 4

I'm reading T. S. Eliot by a fireplace at my editor's country home in South Carolina, and am way too happy right now to pay any attention whatsoever to the message boards. :001_tt2:

SWB

Why can't we "like" SWB's posts?

• Like 1

Alright alright….

Tex -- in spite of your poor logic, you may have your 1000 points.  You were indeed a benevolent dictator.  Power-hungry, but benevolent.

Slache - YOU ARE EXTREMELY GIFTED AT SCREAMING.  I'm not really sure how that can contribute to my administration, but because you had me up laughing til 1am while dh was finishing that two-thumbs-down brad pitt flick, I'll try to think of something.  

Meanwhile, I MUST KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE YOUR USERNAME.  Ch makes three sounds: /ch/, /k/, and /sh/.  And that dang final "e" is sooooooo unpredictable.  

STOP IT.  I do not have faulty logic.  Someone said she wanted SWB to post.  I said if she does, it's because SWB and I are tight.  Then she did - you know, because she and I are tight.  So just stop.it.now before the whole thing gets out of hand and I put you on The List of People for AMJ to Beat Up.

• Like 2

Love it!  So happy to have that clarified.  If it'd been something in French, I'd have butchered it every time.  Slache I can do.    

(edited for typo.  up too late last night)

This is actually very cool. I'd have to divorce to ditch the tv and movies. And the kids would probably not want to live with me.

But while laid up...you should watch The Princess Bride.

Yes, I know. I was lucky enough that my husband agreed to try it before the kids were born. He saw our marriage improve and agreed it should stay gone. When John was about 2 I was sitting on the couch reading Spanish poetry while my husband played the Ukulele and John was playing with Lincoln Logs. When I paused he looked at me and said "I understand now why you didn't want a television". That was a good day. It was *very* hard to get him to agree to get rid of it, and I'm glad he no longer resents me for it, because he really did for a while. He's a good man.

It that movie clean? I've been trying to institute a Sunday evening everyone gets in Mom and Dad's bed to watch a movie thing, but we've been too busy.

Your name is pronounced like "slash" because I said so.

That works. Sounds hard core.

Love it!  So happy to have that clarified.  If it'd been something in French, I'd have butchered it every time.  Slache I can do.    

(edited for typo.  up too late last night)

I was told by a French foreign exchange student in high school that it means flip flop and is slang for slut (loose).

• Like 2

Yes, I know. I was lucky enough that my husband agreed to try it before the kids were born. He saw our marriage improve and agreed it should stay gone. When John was about 2 I was sitting on the couch reading Spanish poetry while my husband played the Ukulele and John was playing with Lincoln Logs. When I paused he looked at me and said "I understand now why you didn't want a television". That was a good day. It was *very* hard to get him to agree to get rid of it, and I'm glad he no longer resents me for it, because he really did for a while. He's a good man.

It that movie clean? I've been trying to institute a Sunday evening everyone gets in Mom and Dad's bed to watch a movie thing, but we've been too busy.

It has a bit of inuendo, drinking of poison, sword fights, death, blood, giant rodents, giants climbing up walls with people hanging off of him, and torture.  It's all very satire-ish, and I was comfortable with my 9 year old watching it.  Mostly, the language I recall is when Wesley sees that Buttercup is about to stab herself in the chest rather than marry Prince Humperdink and he says something about how it would be a shame to ruin such a perfect pair of breasts, as there are so few in the world.  I would skip it for your kids because of the fire swamp scenes with scary rodents and such.  My little dd is old enough to understand it is all in good fun and not real.

• Like 1

STOP IT.  I do not have faulty logic.  Someone said she wanted SWB to post.  I said if she does, it's because SWB and I are tight.  Then she did - you know, because she and I are tight.  So just stop.it.now before the whole thing gets out of hand and I put you on The List of People for AMJ to Beat Up.

And that someone was me.  

AMJ can't beat me up.  Slache-Like-Rache is my new weightlifting-tv-ditching bodyguard.  And she knows Greek so I especially trust her.

• Like 2

It has a bit of inuendo, drinking of poison, sword fights, death, blood, giant rodents, giants climbing up walls with people hanging off of him, and torture. It's all very satire-ish, and I was comfortable with my 9 year old watching it. Mostly, the language I recall is when Wesley sees that Buttercup is about to stab herself in the chest rather than marry Prince Humperdink and he says something about how it would be a shame to ruin such a perfect pair of breasts, as there are so few in the world. I would skip it for your kids because of the fire swamp scenes with scary rodents and such. My little dd is old enough to understand it is all in good fun and not real.

Valid point about clean meaning different things. I don't want scary or thing no to be repeated in church f***, s****, omg, yoga pants.

Alright alright….

The final silent e would cause the single vowel a to say its second sound.

You're welcome. :D

• Like 4

It has a bit of inuendo, drinking of poison, sword fights, death, blood, giant rodents, giants climbing up walls with people hanging off of him, and torture.  It's all very satire-ish, and I was comfortable with my 9 year old watching it.  Mostly, the language I recall is when Wesley sees that Buttercup is about to stab herself in the chest rather than marry Prince Humperdink and he says something about how it would be a shame to ruin such a perfect pair of breasts, as there are so few in the world.  I would skip it for your kids because of the fire swamp scenes with scary rodents and such.  My little dd is old enough to understand it is all in good fun and not real.

Minus 5 points because it is Westley, not Wesley. :biggrinjester:

• Like 4

I agree with waiting until your kids are older.  Much of the dialogue will sail right over their heads, though. As for the Fire Swamp-I must confess that it still freaks me out.  I close my eyes and say over and over, "Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."

(Seriously, Slash Slache, if you and DH ever get an at-home "date" night, the movie is fabulous. And I totally get what you are saying about unplugging the boob tube.)

• Like 1

I agree with waiting until your kids are older.  Much of the dialogue will sail right over their heads, though. As for the Fire Swamp-I must confess that it still freaks me out.  I close my eyes and say over and over, "Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."

(Seriously, Slash Slache, if you and DH ever get an at-home "date" night, the movie is fabulous. And I totally get what you are saying about unplugging the boob tube.)

She said "boob".  hehehe

• Like 2

So it IS "slash"?  Was I right?  I just want to be right.

I don't know how the ch is pronounced. The silent e wouldn't affect that. I was just saying that the final silent e would cause the a to say its second sound. Sorry to get your hopes up. ::snerk::

So it IS "slash"?  Was I right?  I just want to be right.

Okay.  Now I'm getting worried about you. What is this "Was I right? I just want to be right" namby-pamby hooey?  Just declare yourself right and move on.  That's what being boss is all about.

• Like 2

Okay.  Now I'm getting worried about you. What is this "Was I right? I just want to be right" namby-pamby hooey?  Just declare yourself right and move on.  That's what being boss is all about.

Thank you for this butt kicking.  It is just what I needed.  Now go shine my shoes or something.

• Like 1

I don't know how the ch is pronounced. The silent e wouldn't affect that. I was just saying that the final silent e would cause the a to say its second sound. Sorry to get your hopes up. ::snerk::

She posted in #368 that it's Slache, with the second sound of a (ay) and the first sound of ch (as in church). Sorry to explain it in such a cumbersome fashion; we Spalding geeks are like that. :hat:

Plus I get more points because I quoted myself.

That is all.

• Like 3

She posted in #368 that it's Slache, with the second sound of a (ay) and the first sound of ch (as in church). Sorry to explain it in such a cumbersome fashion; we Spalding geeks are like that. :hat:

That is all.

How sad that she has been saying it incorrectly all these years because we know good and well it is "slash".  

• Like 7

That is all.

You get a gazillion points for each and every edition of Spalding out there.  Plus a bonus gazillion for the fourth, since it's my favorite.  (though I must say I do like those handy charts in the fifth).

ETA:  WAIT!!!  Edition of Spalding or edition of WRTR!  Auggghhhh!!!! I can't remember which is the manual and which is the method!!  Methinks I need to amend that to edition of WRTR.

• Like 1