Menu

Ignore this thread!

Hi. I am very tired and very owie tonight. But today was a good day. We didn’t get rain until right before supper. All the kids from 9 to 19 (and the adults too) had a blast making and then setting off bottle rockets. Both my lessons went well. No one was stung or hurt. I only lost my temper a bit once. The staff is all tired but working together. Tomorrow night is our “post mortem” on this year’s camp and the first planning meeting for next year’s camp. 

I forgot the Starbucks card. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning, Happy Thursday.   

Dd is staying home today instead of coming and helping me with camp.   It's her brother's birthday and all he wants is to NOT have to watch the dog all day.  Yep, his idea of a perfect day is being left alone to hang out in his room.  My mother is coming over for dinner tonight because he also didn't want to go out to dinner.  

Camp shouldn't be so bad today since I only have 4 kids (all boys).   Yesterday did not go so smoothly with some very defiant kids that meant I had to get stricter than I usually am.

Next week I think I only have three kids for the week (at least so far) but two of them are doing extended care and coming an hour early and staying two hours late.  It's going to be a long week.

• Like 7

Good morning!

Dh will take two of the kids to tutorial on the way to work and the rest of us will have a normal lesson day.  Ds14 has a cello lesson after tutorial and if all goes according to plan, we will get home in time for me to shove a little food into me and then leave for orchestra rehearsal.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Morning. Another frustrating and sad day coming up. I need to call the hospital today to ask about the referral. They were supposed to call yesterday. Nothing. They've dropped the ball on things like this before. But, I'm going to art and I'm going to paint, and when I get home, I'm going to write, and I might even decide to make banana bread just because I want some. School is going well, and the boy did a good job on housekeeping and dinner yesterday. I plan to go to the library after art and see if I can't figure out if one book is still missing or on the shelf, and then the boys can pick out some good cookbooks for study.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!! For the life of me, I cannot figure out and then remember what day of the week it is. This entire week has been that way.

Warning: EdPo

School has been going well this week. I really like Hake Grammar. Why did we not know about this before? We are learning the geographical features of the state of California. And we started Latin for Children. My heart is definitely with Memoria Press, but.... 1) I just dropped Latin last spring for everyone. Life was so hard and I couldn’t keep up with everything; 2) I wanted to start Latin up again, but felt like we needed a fresh start and wanted to keep the girls together because #easier; 3) the only other program I felt was a complete program with a video was Latin for Children and my charter pays for it. I really do love Dr. Perrin and there’s nothing wrong with the program, it’s just different. All we’ve used is MP’s materials and then Henle. CAP has very slightly different pronunciations, they say “amatum” and not “amatus”. And their chants are different. 😩😩 I’m such a baby.😂

Awana training went well last night.

• Like 7

Art was a much needed break from drama. My art teacher is about the most low-drama person in the world, and a nice painting time was had by all. So now I'm getting ready to write, and deal with more drama either tomorrow or more likely on Monday. And maybe that will be the end of drama, but I kind of doubt it. 

• Like 6

I'm so glad art gave you some downtime, Critter.

I've been sorting more sections of the garage today, and praying dh is agreeable to donating what we don't use/need. Tonight I escape for a haircut, and then go shopping (by myself!) for garage supplies (peg board, etc).  

Also I am feeling overwhelmed at all that needs to happen between now and school starting (4 birthdays, binding of various school items and unbinding of others, filing away last year's school paperwork...).  

I am patting myself on the back though, for resisting the urge to accept yet another academic co-op invitation.  Go me!  (I'm not opposed to co-ops, but I am determined that this will be the Year of the Introvert.  The Introvert being Me.) 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I'm so glad art gave you some downtime, Critter.

I've been sorting more sections of the garage today, and praying dh is agreeable to donating what we don't use/need. Tonight I escape for a haircut, and then go shopping (by myself!) for garage supplies (peg board, etc).  

Also I am feeling overwhelmed at all that needs to happen between now and school starting (4 birthdays, binding of various school items and unbinding of others, filing away last year's school paperwork...).  

I am patting myself on the back though, for resisting the urge to accept yet another academic co-op invitation.  Go me!  (I'm not opposed to co-ops, but I am determined that this will be the Year of the Introvert.  The Introvert being Me.) 

Yay for Year of the Introvert!!!  

I vote that you cancel the birthdays.  😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

PLANNING PO FORTHCOMING!

Ye have been warned.

School

• Partial lessons this week, next week, and the week after, with more added each week until we're running on a full schedule the week our co-op and Wednesday night kid's church starts again (9/9).
  • Checklist template is done for each kid and for me, allowing for fluctuations with schedule on given days.
  • I'm still working out the work weeks/break weeks, considering All The Things. We stop school the week of Thanksgiving and won't get started again until after the new year so we can get prepared for Baby and used to his presence. In the new year it will be easy. We'll do a 6 week/1 week thing. Until then, it looks like it might work better to do 7/1.
  • Once that's done, I can plan the first chunk and prep all the stuff for it so all we have to do is open and go.
  • There are three days of each break week dedicated to planning the next chunk of time (1 day) and preparing photocopies, art projects, science experiments, etc. (2 days).

Work

• I'm writing every spare minute to finish the two projects I'm committed to. After that, a usual assignment requires a 3,000 words/day commitment. Add in editing, and I'm planning for a half hour of editing in the morning before kids get up, and two and half to three hours of writing time in the evening, after the kids go to bed. This way I get a rest break in the middle of the day instead of writing then, too, and I can take Sundays completely off.

Household

• I have plans for food prep time on Saturday for each week, and a freezer food prep day in each break week.
  • I'm training the kids to do parts of our daily routine, so they start learning, we spend more time together, and I'm (hopefully) working myself out of jobs.
  • There's a deep cleaning day scheduled for break weeks, which is the only time the floors will get mopped.

I told Dave he gets the kids on Saturdays so I can catch up whatever needs to be caught up in any category, and I have rest times actually planned into the day and week (after these projects are done - no rest until then!), so hopefully I'll actually make a six week stretch without burnout. Any advice/tips from what you see? I'm all ears!

Looks fantastic!

• Like 1

I just spent some quality time in the kitchen.

My freezer meals this week are going to a friend who was in a car accident.  😞  Everyone is mostly ok.  She's bruised and the car is probably totaled.

I know that some people from church are taking her meals this week.  I told her husband that I would bring some freezer main dishes that would be easy to throw together as a meal sometime in the future when she's having a rough day.  He was very appreciative.

Tonight's Kitchen Adventure:

Hamburgers and pasta salad for our dinner.

Hard-boiled eggs to keep in the fridge for a high-protein snack.

4 pounds of Taco Meat -- half for us; half for my friend

2 Rotisserie chickens pulled apart and divided into 2 c. portions for making pot pie

Later This Week*:

2 batches of meatballs (1 to keep/1 to give)

Lemon-garlic chicken (to give)

Glazed chicken (to give)

Steak fajitas (1 to keep/1 to give)

Steak pieces seasoned with pepper (1 to keep/1 to give)

*All plans at Junie's House are subject to change, sometimes at a moment's notice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I had another horrendous migraine earlier today.  One of the girls opened the bathroom door and turned off the light at the same time.  I saw the flash of light from the corner of my eye and immediately had a severe migraine.  Thankfully I was able to get it under control within just a couple of hours.  I wish that I didn't have such terrible sensory issues.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

PLANNING PO FORTHCOMING!

Ye have been warned.

School

• Partial lessons this week, next week, and the week after, with more added each week until we're running on a full schedule the week our co-op and Wednesday night kid's church starts again (9/9).
  • Checklist template is done for each kid and for me, allowing for fluctuations with schedule on given days.
  • I'm still working out the work weeks/break weeks, considering All The Things. We stop school the week of Thanksgiving and won't get started again until after the new year so we can get prepared for Baby and used to his presence. In the new year it will be easy. We'll do a 6 week/1 week thing. Until then, it looks like it might work better to do 7/1.
  • Once that's done, I can plan the first chunk and prep all the stuff for it so all we have to do is open and go.
  • There are three days of each break week dedicated to planning the next chunk of time (1 day) and preparing photocopies, art projects, science experiments, etc. (2 days).

Work

• I'm writing every spare minute to finish the two projects I'm committed to. After that, a usual assignment requires a 3,000 words/day commitment. Add in editing, and I'm planning for a half hour of editing in the morning before kids get up, and two and half to three hours of writing time in the evening, after the kids go to bed. This way I get a rest break in the middle of the day instead of writing then, too, and I can take Sundays completely off.

Household

• I have plans for food prep time on Saturday for each week, and a freezer food prep day in each break week.
  • I'm training the kids to do parts of our daily routine, so they start learning, we spend more time together, and I'm (hopefully) working myself out of jobs.
  • There's a deep cleaning day scheduled for break weeks, which is the only time the floors will get mopped.

I told Dave he gets the kids on Saturdays so I can catch up whatever needs to be caught up in any category, and I have rest times actually planned into the day and week (after these projects are done - no rest until then!), so hopefully I'll actually make a six week stretch without burnout. Any advice/tips from what you see? I'm all ears!

impressive!

Feel free to plan my week any time.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, maize said:

Oh no!

Are you seeing a doctor?

No pain. TMI: I think it's an early cycle. When it's way off on the calendar it's too light to come out on it's own. It looks like a UTI for a little while.

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What?!?!  Really?  But...but I wanted to see you!

Oh, I'll still come see you! But I shouldn't go to Cincinnati. The water there. It's just not a good idea.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 5:53 PM, maize said:

That's about what I remember. 

Plus rabbit. Because we learned a song about a rabbit. I don't remember the rest of the song.

I took Russian in 8th grade.

I never took Russian. I can say no and some word that maybe a cuss word, but I don't say it because I don't cuss.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, maize said:

That saying about how you can't have too many books...

It isn't true when you have to reorganize them all.

I think this project is going to take a month....

Tell me about it.

That organizing book project I started at the beginning of the month...? I just started back doing today. The homeschool book swap is tomorrow. :willy nilly:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

No pain. TMI: I think it's an early cycle. When it's way off on the calendar it's too light to come out on it's own. It looks like a UTI for a little while.

Oh, I'll still come see you! But I shouldn't go to Cincinnati. The water there. It's just not a good idea.

Whew!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm staying up until 11 so I can make sure dh wakes up so he can babysit a work event that is happening at midnight in the Eastern time zone.  Then I'm going to sleep.  But will probably wake up when he comes back to bed.

Did I tell you about my spider dream the other night?  I didn't actually see any spiders, just the webs they were spinning closer and closer to the bed.  I woke dh up because I was nearly crawling over him trying to get out of bed away from the spiderwebs.  Is it a coincidence that in the two nights since the dream, I have killed two largish spiders that were sneaking around much too close to my head?  I suspect I am stuck in a Stephen King novel.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It looks like the whole other post that I had quoted and typed never posted. It had something about Russian.

Oh! Right, Russian! I do believe that on the Rosetta Stone subscription, you have access to all the levels. So you can level up before 12 months. Has your daughter tried the app first? There are many lessons available for free on the app, so she can try before you buy. I don't even remember who I'm talking to anymore.

Another thing, I don't think I've ever said Duolingo and Rosetta Stone are alike. They aren't. Duolingo is translation-based; Rosetta Stone is immersion-based. Neither will get a person actually speaking any language, although RS is better for language exposure at least, since it's associated pictures with words (instead of the extra step of translating like Duolingo). Both are supplemental.

You didn't ask for this info, so you can ignore everything between the lines:

______________________Unwanted suggestions to supplement program of choice______________________

Since she's wanting to do it own her own (for now), maybe get a tutor for a couple of sessions just to drill and practice the sounds of the language, then use program of your choice. Have her exposed to the language as much as possible - through songs, shows, news, whatever - just to have the sounds ingrained in the brain. I tell families at least 10 hours a week (that's a bare minimum). When she says she's starting to babble Russian sounds in her brain, you know it's working. Join a bilingual families FB group or two for suggestions of child-friendly music and programs for her and provide them. As she's studying whatever program you provide and listen to other input, she'll start putting things together. When she's really serious about it down the road, a tutor is something to really consider.

_____________________End of unwanted suggestions___________________________________________

On 8/17/2019 at 5:44 PM, maize said:

My book organization project is actually moving along nicely; I guess that means I may actually have to tackle organizing non book stuff soon. That's more challenging since it's not just a matter of putting everything on the right shelf. I need to figure out how and where to store stuff.

Good. Come and help organize my stuff too, please.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, Critterfixer said:

Good morning. My kitchen is full--and I mean stuffed--with squash and gourds. I so badly need an air-conditioned outbuilding for curing these things. There are blankets on the floor for squash. I dragged in an extra table for squash. Every inch of counter is covered in squash. I can eat some of these squash, but many of them are designated for decorative or birdhouse use. 

Boys are doing school. Around squash.

Love this book. It's set in a town about 25 minutes from where I live.

image.png.77d1bb988f3dcea83a28a48b0a8d73ee.png

On 8/21/2019 at 9:04 PM, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Windsday!  

Phase 2 of Garage Cleanup is done.  I've figured out where everything needs to go.  Next chore is getting peg board and making it all happen.

The girls made dinner AND dessert tonight (well, they made dessert yesterday and froze it) and they did it all without any supervision. Dinner was ratatouille again (and yet no dent was made in our bountiful squash supply), and dessert was banana popsicles from a Junior Cookbook I had as a kid.  I  I could quickly get very spoiled. Enjoying it while their enthusiasm lasts.

Sleep tight, all.

Between you and Maize, my books will be sorted and organized in no time!

Depending on the type of squash, you can make calabacitas. And zucchini bread. And squash boats (edible).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

Good Friday morning!  It's the birthday of the next to youngest dgd!  We're slowly getting ready for work.  Trying to figure out a new work schedule since I now have both kids school schedules.  And I need to figure out the rest of the curriculum.

Yay for plans birthdays and school plans coming together!

• Like 3

Good morning!

Dh did not wake me up when he got back to bed (2am) so I slept very soundly and ignored my alarm this morning.  I'll have to do exercising later.  I have a quick thing to do at the church this morning, otherwise regular lessons.  I was planning to AFSA tomorrow morning, but might go tonight if I'm feeling brave.

Coffee!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Slache said:

OK. Keep an eye on things, one of my sisters had kidney cancer and blood in the urine was the first sign.

(Not trying to scare you, you're almost certainly right and it is nothing really. Also, my sister is very healthy these days, minus one kidney.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Good morning!  Coffee is ready!  Everyone is sleeping in a wee bit.  

I'm trying out a new app for family scheduling.  Personally, I like paper and pencil and will keep using it, but I'm thinking it might be a helpful way to communicate the schedule to other family members.  We'll see....

Which app?

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Friday!!!!

I’m feeling down about my job. I have no reason to think I am doing a bad job, other than my own insecurities and lack of self-confidence. I just feel like i’m Wondering around in the dark half the time (which is no fault of my school, they have been great at training and everyone is very helpful, but sometimes I just feel like I’m missing something,  but I don’t know it). And it’s been a very busy week and I feel like I have a very tenuous grip on what’s going on around here, and no margins. I always thought that phrase, “having margin in your life” was so weird and kind of modern psycho-babblish, until now, where I understand what it means. 

Anyhow, the older kids have school today, the two girls and I have school at home. I think we will take it a little easier.... we have to take the STAR360 tests, which are pretty easy. We have to do a Spelling test and a verse quiz. But after that I think we will do Latin and art and call it good.

Tonight is nothing. Every night this week we have been gone. But tonight we get to stay home and watch a movie. I wonder what is next on the list for the Marvel Summer Festival.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1