Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Got to get coffee going!

Ducklings, I love your signature!  You have all your ducks in a row!!

It all looks so lovely and neat on the screen, doesn't it?  😅

(And yes, they are all in fact male mallards, but we'll just have to overlook that; apparently the Emoji Czar decided there should be multiple views of the chick, including shots from the neonatal clinic of the sweet babe and its proud mama and papa, but NO ducklings or female ducks whatsoever.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Good morning!!! Finally time for Coffee... ahhh.

: DENTAL ALERT : :

An old filling cracked and allowed for a new cavity.  My crowning is scheduled for September.  Lovely $900 kickoff to my week. 👸

: : END DENTAL ALERT : :

In other news, the hygienist is only the squillionth person to recently rave about how I'm homeschooling, and say they wish they could too.  Apparently it's getting really ugly out there for some (at least in our area).  

I promised the park, and that promise hasn't been forgotten, so to the park we go!  Coffee, glasses, keys, and phone; keys and phone; keys and phone....🎶

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Good morning!!! Finally time for Coffee... ahhh.

: DENTAL ALERT : :

An old filling cracked and allowed for a new cavity.  My crowning is scheduled for September.  Lovely $900 kickoff to my week. 👸

: : END DENTAL ALERT : :

In other news, the hygienist is only the squillionth person to recently rave about how I'm homeschooling, and say they wish they could too.  Apparently it's getting really ugly out there for some (at least in our area).  

I promised the park, and that promise hasn't been forgotten, so to the park we go!  Coffee, glasses, keys, and phone; keys and phone; keys and phone....🎶

Don't forget the ducklings...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning!

We're going to try to get dd15 her learner's permit today. 

Which means I have to locate her SS card to take to the DMV.

Which means I have to tackle the mess in the office-turned-into-store-everything-room.

I may be taking my life in my hands by going in there...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I fed them. They are as tall as me now, and pretty soon they will be a foot taller, I swear.

Yep. That's how it works.

I have suggested to my children that if they would just stop eating we would save so much money on new clothes (not to mention the much bigger expense of food!) but do they listen?

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Hi, everyone!  I've been peeking in now and then, but work has me exhausted all the time and between that and being on the computer for school things, I just kind of wanted a break from screens when not necessary, you know?

I'll try to ketchup, but hoping everyone is well in the meantime.  (Hugs and Happy Nirthdays all around!) 

EDPO

Tonight is our Meet & Greet at the co-op we're joining this year.  I'm a bit nervous.  For DS, not me.  I get along with random people just fine. 🙂  Even imaginary people. 😉 But DS sorely needs to meet people, and he's a pre-teen anti-social grouch; I'm holding my breath.  Wish us luck!

This is a peanut-free (yay!!!), secular group about 20 minutes from our house.  I found nothing like it in PA all the years we've been homeschooling.  Florida for the win! (Hopefully.)

Bonus for me is that even if DS doesn't end up liking any of the boys his age (according to the class rosters there are plenty of boys his age), at least I don't have to teach art, computers, and science this semester.  Which is good, because we need to focus on writing. 😬

/EDPO

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

Good morning!

We're going to try to get dd15 her learner's permit today. 

Which means I have to locate her SS card to take to the DMV.

Which means I have to tackle the mess in the office-turned-into-store-everything-room.

I may be taking my life in my hands by going in there...

Oh, you had to remind me. Sigh. End of this week. I have to go to the state police building with boys. Apparently. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

Yep. That's how it works.

I have suggested to my children that if they would just stop eating we would save so much money on new clothes (not to mention the much bigger expense of food!) but do they listen?

I keep trying to convince mine if we could all wear as little clothing as possible at home, we would have less laundry, and that if they could simply subsist on rain water and sunshine like trees we wouldn't have so many dishes to do. But they don't listen to me either.

• Like 5

I am seriously considering putting a dry erase board in my room just for the stuff I'm supposed to be keeping up with at the moment. Then I think, if I have to write one more thing down, I'm going to scream. So I'm using index cards that I can throw away and scribbling stuff in my calendar instead, and that's keeping me from howling miserably. I have to always remember that the world isn't going to end if I don't have French by September first, Latin might well be sufficient foreign language study without French, and if I don't get that synopsis written today, the literary world isn't going to know about it. Y'all will, but y'all will pat me on the back, tell me atagirl, and remind me there's always tomorrow. 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, Slache said:

No trails and no soccer, but I think soccer's over. At least from my perspective. I would assume I stressed something but I don't know what it is so I'd rest all the somethings. Boring, I know.

More butt booya.

But, I had been doing light duty since the first knee incident 3 weeks ago. There is no excuse for it to hurt. Then I did something on Sunday and BOTH knees started hurting. But, now everything is peachy keen again...

19 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

New Rule:  You are also NOT ALLOWED TO COACH.

Oh, believe me, I don't plan to!

17 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you ever been on an antibiotic that made you sweaty?  It's driving me nuts.  And it's hard to sleep.

Warning: EdPo!!  Avert yer eyeballs!

I think I've got everything ready for tomorrow.  Between church and the concert, I got chore cards and lessons lists and schedules done and made a quick trip to the library to pick up books.  After the concert & dinner I printed everything out, loaded math programs onto the PC and laptop, had dd16 show ds14 how to find all his tutorial class assignments, cleaned up the lesson cubby area, sorted through books, did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned the stove, and got the dishwasher running.

As you were.

Goodnight!

Now, come organize all my stuff and schedules and stuff. You have until Saturday. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Got to get coffee going!

Ducklings, I love your signature!  You have all your ducks in a row!!

5 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

It all looks so lovely and neat on the screen, doesn't it?  😅

(And yes, they are all in fact male mallards, but we'll just have to overlook that; apparently the Emoji Czar decided there should be multiple views of the chick, including shots from the neonatal clinic of the sweet babe and its proud mama and papa, but NO ducklings or female ducks whatsoever.)

I only see boxes now. I think I used to see ducks, but not anymore. 😞 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

So, we are postponing soccer for the spring. I missed the early deadline, and thus the scholarship application deadline. We're all kinda glad things aren't happening at the same time. She decided against theater. 

Chinese school starts this Sunday afternoon. I hope we like it.

Gymnast has been challenged to complete 100 Song of the Wind repetitions before August 29. I think she's done 8 so far. She still has to go over her old stuff too. And practice plucking Aunt Rhody. That's a song, not a person. Or chicken...

Weekly activities:

Sunday: Chinese school

Monday: SF Youth Symphony Orchestra (group lesson)

Tuesday: NOTHING

Wednesday: SF Youth Symphony Orchestra (group lesson); regular violin group lesson 2 hours later

Thursday: regular violin lesson

Friday: NOTHING; probably just her Lingobus Chinese lesson (25 minutes) and occasional hike with the homeschool group

Saturday: NOTHING

Her teacher is having an open house this Wednesday. I wonder what she'll say about Gymnast missing 4 days of school this year to go to the school programs in Albuquerque. I mean, I'll go anyway, but there is this paper that says she'll attend 12.5 hours a week, which is the number of hours her class operates, so... There are some good shows we want to see. Even dh said he'll take the days off to see them. http://schooltimeseries.com/2019-2020-shows We (Gymnast and I) look at all the trailers and decide which ones we'll go to. Ordering is in about a week or so, and I like to buy tickets in advance. They're only $3! 

In other news, did you ever have this really awesome idea that just blew your mind but you couldn't start on it right away, but you come back 2-3 days later ready to start and you can't remember what it is? 

Then, you remember you jotted down the notes in google drive and so your life is saved?

#ADHDlife #makelists #howcanIpossiblybeanauthor

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Renai said:

But, I had been doing light duty since the first knee incident 3 weeks ago. There is no excuse for it to hurt. Then I did something on Sunday and BOTH knees started hurting. But, now everything is peachy keen again...

I'm sorry it hurt.

• Like 5

EdPo

1 orientation online

1 orientation for d/e

I went to neither of those because of dd's violin lesson.  

Tonight - orientation for homeschool classes.

Some of my dc asked me why they must go to orientation.  So we learned the word "mandatory."  DD asked me if there was a purpose.  I said if there was a purpose they wouldn't have to make them mandatory.  🤣  So then we talked about the litigious, whining, no one pays attention to policies or details or rules, society we live in.  Don't you think our poor homeschool group teachers have heard a hundred people say, "But I didnt' know......"fill in the blank."  I want my money back...."  So, I get it.  And maybe dc do too.  But some of them will sit in the back with an earbud in one ear.  <sigh>  So I told them it's important to be attentive and respective, not just in their own mind, but in their appearance as well.  <sigh>  And people wonder about how hard it is to homeschool....  It's the parenting that is laborious, not figuring out how many pages of math to do, lol.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ikslo said:

Hi, everyone!  I've been peeking in now and then, but work has me exhausted all the time and between that and being on the computer for school things, I just kind of wanted a break from screens when not necessary, you know?

I'll try to ketchup, but hoping everyone is well in the meantime.  (Hugs and Happy Nirthdays all around!) 

EDPO

Tonight is our Meet & Greet at the co-op we're joining this year.  I'm a bit nervous.  For DS, not me.  I get along with random people just fine. 🙂  Even imaginary people. 😉 But DS sorely needs to meet people, and he's a pre-teen anti-social grouch; I'm holding my breath.  Wish us luck!

This is a peanut-free (yay!!!), secular group about 20 minutes from our house.  I found nothing like it in PA all the years we've been homeschooling.  Florida for the win! (Hopefully.)

Bonus for me is that even if DS doesn't end up liking any of the boys his age (according to the class rosters there are plenty of boys his age), at least I don't have to teach art, computers, and science this semester.  Which is good, because we need to focus on writing. 😬

/EDPO

Yay!!!  I hope it's great!  And that ds meets at least one person he has things in common with - if not tonight, then in the first week or so.  

• Like 3

The kids are in children’s choir and I found a quiet bench. They really are excited to be back. This is ds14’s first year in the high school choir. I hope he can catch on to appropriate behavior.  A neighbor friend showed up at our door at 3:30 and asked if she could have a ride to choir.  😳  OK - hop in the van. (She did text her dad to let him know.)

(Edpo avert yer eyeballs)

School went pretty well today. A Few Things fell through the cracks and I read two chapters of yhe wrong book at story time. Horrors!  😂

I can’t see any ducklings OR boxes.  🙁

Remember the sprig of lavender I stole from the university gardens?  Well they completely redesigned the gardens and the plant is gone. Good thing I nabbed it when I did!  😁

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

EdPo

1 orientation online

1 orientation for d/e

I went to neither of those because of dd's violin lesson.  

Tonight - orientation for homeschool classes.

Some of my dc asked me why they must go to orientation.  So we learned the word "mandatory."  DD asked me if there was a purpose.  I said if there was a purpose they wouldn't have to make them mandatory.  🤣  So then we talked about the litigious, whining, no one pays attention to policies or details or rules, society we live in.  Don't you think our poor homeschool group teachers have heard a hundred people say, "But I didnt' know......"fill in the blank."  I want my money back...."  So, I get it.  And maybe dc do too.  But some of them will sit in the back with an earbud in one ear.  <sigh>  So I told them it's important to be attentive and respective, not just in their own mind, but in their appearance as well.  <sigh>  And people wonder about how hard it is to homeschool....  It's the parenting that is laborious, not figuring out how many pages of math to do, lol.   

This made me laugh so hard!

• Like 6

Hi.  Camp, camp, camp, camp, camp.  How am I supposed to do my stuff to prep for camp and also put out al the fires too?  Who said yes to this whole camp director thing anyway?  Actually I still like camp and as my dd says, at least I can make sure that camp goes the way I want it to, so it's not all bad.   But responsibility!  What's with that? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi.  Camp, camp, camp, camp, camp.  How am I supposed to do my stuff to prep for camp and also put out al the fires too?  Who said yes to this whole camp director thing anyway?  Actually I still like camp and as my dd says, at least I can make sure that camp goes the way I want it to, so it's not all bad.   But responsibility!  What's with that? 

You are doing an amazing thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Junie said:

My computer mouse died a few days ago and I got a new one that I really like!  I need an ergonomic design because of the arthritis in my hands.   This one is lighter than the old one which is nice.  

Looks awesome!

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I like trackball mouses. If I use a regular mouse my right hand always winds up in Norway.

Norway is nice and cool this time of year.  Compared to the Land of Ticks and Chiggers, at least.  Which reminds me, we need to spend August at JJM's house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

For some reason when I'm listening to Metallica I feel like I should be fixing a car.

1 minute ago, lots of little ducklings said:

For some reason when I'm listening to Metallica I feel like you should be changing my car's oil.

If I listen to Metallica, will you fix the transmission in my van?  Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

For some reason when I'm listening to Metallica I feel like you should be changing my car's oil.

1 hour ago, maize said:

I have never listened to Metallica...

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

If I listen to Metallica, will you fix the transmission in my van?  Thanks!

No.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

I was going to go out and pick cherry tomatoes for dinner but I was hijacked by the nursing toddler wanting his dinner. Now I am stuck.

I'm sure there's a way to tie a tot to your chest so they nurse while you pick tomatoes, but I'm not sure if some type of gymnastics is involved...

25 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Anyone know much about buying tickets for international flights?  Like, if someone needed a flight from the US to London/Heathrow in April, when should they buy to get the best price?  Or should they find a travel agent?  Do travel agents exist any more?

Yes, travel agents exist. In fact, I am contemplating a sideline doing that so I can tie educational trips to my Spanish classes... There's a couple of agents in my inbox trying to convince me...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Renai said:

I'm sure there's a way to tie a tot to your chest so they nurse while you pick tomatoes, but I'm not sure if some type of gymnastics is involved...

Yes, the trouble with the various baby and toddler wearing options is that my babies and toddlers are built like sumo wrestlers...

One of my boys weighed in at 24lbs at his four month check up and several others have come close. Apparently my milk is something like 99% cream.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1