Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Also, I made this, doubled, for lunch.  Too scrumptious not to share.  (Wine!)  We've fed the kids Mac-n-cheese for dinner and now I'm fighting dh for what's left of the tomatoes for our dinner. (There isn't much.  I'll have to supplement it with popcorn during Poldark.)

Yummy AND fancy!

35 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I voted.  Now I feel properly civic minded. 

Were you the write-in candidate?

Jeannie for President!  Vote ITT - the only party that makes sense!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We use Getting Started With Spanish as our first grade grammar and I love the series. I plan to use Getting Started With Latin in 4th, followed by the sequel before Oxford.

Yes!  That's what I read somewhere recently.  I thought it was you.  We've done Song School 1-2 but not very seriously.  

Time to get serious, 6th-Grade Boy.  (In a gentle sort of way.)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I know, right??? Technically he's eleven until the end of the month, though.  So I'm clinging to that!  

It's a Time Flies Booyah! 

DS8 is no longer with us.

I will never get over that.

Most of ITT is now confused.

7 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Yes!  That's what I read somewhere recently.  I thought it was you.  We've done Song School 1-2 but not very seriously.  

Time to get serious, 6th-Grade Boy.  (In a gentle sort of way.)

It might not last a year with a 6th grader. I think there are 177 lessons so it absolutely CAN last a year, but I don't think it will.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!  I slept in til 7 - so nice!  Hope everyone who needs 2nd sleep get it!

Go, Bookie Go!  You can do it!

Go Junie Go!  Do the things!

Yay for ITT meet ups!

Ducklings, I also puffy heart love GSWL and plan to use it this year with my youngest.  Except she is protesting a bit and wants to learn a modern language.  🙄

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Slache said:

DS8 is no longer with us.

I will never get over that.

Most of ITT is now confused.

It might not last a year with a 6th grader. I think there are 177 lessons so it absolutely CAN last a year, but I don't think it will.

I'd still be mourning DS8 if DS9 (and 10, and 11) hadn't been even cooler than the previous versions.  

GSWL appealed to me for that reason.   DS12 has language-based learning challenges.  We've conquered reading, but we'll still be putting a lot of energy into spelling and arithmetic so I wanted a Latin program that was substantive but not overwhelming.  Something we can complete this year even if it's not high priority.  Something that will give him a sense of success and accomplishment as a foundation for future years.  If we like it, I'll probably do the second volume with him too , and then I'm not certain from there.  Visual maybe?  It will depend on how he takes to it.  

• Like 8

Good Morning!

Write like the wind, Critter and Bookie and Renai!

The storm last night blew a tree onto our back deck stairs.  It's a jungle out there!  Our power never went out, though.  It rarely does.  Dd13 has a Scout Girls field trip this morning to an animation studio.  If they don't need me to stay I might go look at Marti & Liz (discount shoe store) and see what I can see.  I have some shopping to do at some point.  Maybe tonight after I drop off the kids at youth group.

Coffee!

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh is sending me links for shoes that are good for plantar fasciitis.  They are all expensive.

Yeah, but they last a long time. Well, sort of. I bought my Vionics flip-flops like 5 years ago and they are going strong still. I don’t wear them year round, though, since they are flip-flops.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

We hated Getting Started With Latin. Found it boring and unfelpful. Didn't even sell it; just donated it to a thrift store.

Perhaps we are weird.

No, you aren’t. We did that book but with Spanish. Very unfelpful. Total waste of time. I know some people love it,  it it was just too slow.  So slow you didn’t even really feel like you were doing anything. And it didn’t even give structure to the language. Just kind of threw words at you. I love MP’s Form Series. I just wish it could slow down at Second Form and beyond because that’s where we tripped up and quit. It just got hard and steep. I’m starting both girls with Latin For Children this year in the hopes of making some Latin progress.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Word goal: 47,800

Current count: ...31,700

*ducks head in shame*

Not really shamed, though, because I did get chapter 11 edited this morning. Then kids woke early and they're kinda needy, lol, so we've been doing the morning things. I've got them set up with a movie right now (needs must), and I'm hoping to use that time very productively. I have them on an independent task list after that, which will drop me to half speed, but hopefully not under. By the time we're all done with that, it will probably be time to deal with the glass guys. I hope they come early enough that we can make VBS by 6 tonight. We had to miss yesterday.

Bookie, no shame here!!! You stop that, girlfriend. You’ve got a full plate!!! You are doing great. Just keep plugging along. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

No, you aren’t. We did that book but with Spanish. Very unfelpful. Total waste of time. I know some people love it,  it it was just too slow.  So slow you didn’t even really feel like you were doing anything. And it didn’t even give structure to the language. Just kind of threw words at you. I love MP’s Form Series. I just wish it could slow down at Second Form and beyond because that’s where we tripped up and quit. It just got hard and steep. I’m starting both girls with Latin For Children this year in the hopes of making some Latin progress.

At what point do you start reading the language in Form?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Today is a "When does the schoolbus arrive?" day. I'm so sick of definant preteens!!!! And ASD Boy counts as one cause the ASD immaturity. I'm biting my nails off in frustration.

I threw out my MP SC PreSchool A plans that were most unhelpful but dumped all the books into Captain's book basket. What a waste of money! SIGH! Atleast most of the books are good just to read. 

I've never been able to follow a written plan. I've owned several and gotten minimal use from them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Help.

I started a thread on the high school board because my head is going to explode. Please respond, if for no other reason than to hopefully stimulate many others to chime in. Helphelphelp. I am in danger of a major rules violation.

It has to be option 2 to meet requirements. Why would you do option 1? Legitimately asking because I'm obviously missing something.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Current word count: 33,408

I have a looong way to go. Turns out it's a lot harder than I expected to write anything coherent with a 3 year old around. 

The glass guy called and said, "I'm 5 minutes from you but I'm going to reschedule you to tomorrow, because there's dark clouds and it looks like rain." So I am still van-less, but a dear friend is going to come get the kids and me so they don't have to miss another VBS day. Thank God for good friends!

Go Bookie Go!  Could your dear friend be dear enough to take your kids to VBS without you?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Help.

I started a thread on the high school board because my head is going to explode. Please respond, if for no other reason than to hopefully stimulate many others to chime in. Helphelphelp. I am in danger of a major rules violation.

I chimed in. #spreadsheetsquad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 10:08 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

If I put even a fraction of the energy into homeschool prep, that I put into camp . . .  but alas, it's sort of like the cobbler's children in that regard . . . .

Who are the cobbler's children, and why are you taking them in???

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

No, I can't ask her to do that. The fact that she's helping us get there at all is amazing. She's struggling with some major anxiety right now, and I don't think she would handle the idea of being responsible for my kids very well, even if they're engaged in VBS-ness the whole time. But I am going to bring my laptop and try to get some work done while I'm there.

That's exactly how I got things done while Gymnast was doing VBS. You can do it! 

(don't forget a charger)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Slache said:

At what point do you start reading the language in Form?

If by “reading the language” you mean translating, I think you start some in Latina Christiana. The first MP book is for 2-4th grade probably and is Prima Latina. It’s such a wonderful introduction to the language. You learn plenty of vocabulary and the Latin prayers. And you start memorizing the first conjugation. Latina Christiana is next and it steps up the game a bit, you learn a couple conjugations and declensions, and more vocabulary. Then you hit the Form Series and it gets serious. The thing I like about MP is that it begins with the frameworks of the language, which are the conjugations and declensions. All verbs fit fairly neatly into the conjugations and the nouns into the declensions. Once you can understand that, then you can move on to what the language is all about.

• Like 1

Checking in. Fielding a touch of drama at the moment, but I did manage to finish the revision read-thru on my book this morning! So that's done for now. It needs a good four week rest, and frankly, so do I. I plan to go to art in the morning, paint, and then come home and do some drafting and cleaning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Current word count: 33,408

I have a looong way to go. Turns out it's a lot harder than I expected to write anything coherent with a 3 year old around. 

The glass guy called and said, "I'm 5 minutes from you but I'm going to reschedule you to tomorrow, because there's dark clouds and it looks like rain." So I am still van-less, but a dear friend is going to come get the kids and me so they don't have to miss another VBS day. Thank God for good friends!

Very hard to write with a 3 yr old--hard to think with one around, too! 

I get to start back with my drafting of the last book in my series tomorrow, and maybe finish up some character work. I always feel a little off after completing a project, even when I have more work to do. But I'll settle down and be writing hard again in a couple of days. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I get to start back with my drafting of the last book in my series tomorrow, and maybe finish up some character work. I always feel a little off after completing a project, even when I have more work to do. But I'll settle down and be writing hard again in a couple of days. 

Interestingly, I often hear of a downer, or off feeling, after differente types of creative exercises. My daughter often commented on it after dance performances, and I've heard about it from different other performances. It's like the adrenaline keeps you moving, and once it's done, you come crashing down. My daughter said some girls would even cry after really big shows.

• Like 4

I have been to 5 stores today, including the AFSA.  Svengo.  But now I have binder clips.  :smile:  And chipotle powder.  The BBQ pulled pork is done and in the freezer.  I was feeling uninspired by beef stew, so I decided to make Mongolian beef instead.  That's tomorrow.  Maybe.  I have to take dd21 to the DMV to get her expired license renewed and go to a parent meeting.  Dh is staying/working from home for the next two days to try to get the porch railings replaced.  He keeps adding projects to do and I'm hoping he can at least get the railings done by Sunday.  My feet feel like they are going to break apart.  Bah.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

This explains the past 13 years of my life: I have always had a three year old. Or a soon-to-be-three year old. Or a just-finished-being-three year old.

No wonder my thinking is always a muddle... 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, maize said:

"Don't argue with the three year old" is a common saying in this household.

That was a pretty common saying around here for a few years, too!  

Mentality of a Three Year Old Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

How do I learn to spreadsheet? I feel like that's a valuable skill I need to learn next.

I recommend just playing with them a bit at first until you're used to thinking in grids. They work for...

• weekly meal planning: each row a meal/snack, each column a day of the week
  • school planning: each row a week, each column a subject
  • comparing things: each row a characteristic, each column an option (yes, I have one for churches)
  • budget evaluation: each row an item or category, columns for bills, prices, prices per unit, increases or decreases, etc.
  • gift planning: first column name, second column gift, third+ columns to mark things bought, wrapped, shipped, or given

and so on. Then you can learn easy fomulas like SUM (which adds up my school days completed for the year so far), conditional formatting, etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Renai said:

Interestingly, I often hear of a downer, or off feeling, after differente types of creative exercises. My daughter often commented on it after dance performances, and I've heard about it from different other performances. It's like the adrenaline keeps you moving, and once it's done, you come crashing down. My daughter said some girls would even cry after really big shows.

It actually has a name--post-project depression. Oddly enough, just having more to do afterwards isn't enough to solve it. It's a really strange sort of thing. But usually I do pull out of it in a few days and after some rest and relaxing writing, I'm ready to get back into things again. Sometimes it isn't that easy to get over, though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My brain is tired, and there's no way I'm making deadline. But I'm just going to keep going, like the little blue engine up that hill. 

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Have a happy morning, lovelies.

Keep going, but don't hurt yourself. Even little blue engines that can need breaks to breathe.

Feeling this really hard this morning because of something that is going on right now. I can't go into a lot of detail, but there's a person in my professional life that needs prayer right now, and if you could remember her and her family, I would appreciate it. 

• Like 8

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday.  Oh, wait.  Happy Thursday!

Headache plus Things to Do. 😞

Critterfixer -- Praying for your person who needs prayer.

Praying for you, too, Bookie.  I wish I could come over to your place and give you a hug, take care of meals, and maybe do some cleaning for you.  And let you lock yourself in a room so that you can write without interruptions.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!

I have two families to meet today, but that’s it. And it’s not supposed to be quite as hot today.☀️

I feel so behind. Mentally behind. I need my ducks in a row, but right now I’m just in the “do the next thing” mode and I hate that. Hopefully this afternoon when I get back from my second family meeting I can sit down with myself and think things through a bit.

• Like 6