Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 hours ago, maize said:

I survived yesterday! Karate, musical auditions, dance practice, dance and fiddle performance...

I, of course, wasn't doing any of those things--just playing chauffeur/logistics coordinator.

Today's schedule is much simpler, mostly involving lots of cleaning and laundry.

Double Svengo!

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

There are plenty of people in tutus with unicorn headbands 

People are lined up at the burittonut station where you wrap donuts in tortillas. 

:wub:

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Getting ready to go. Have a great day, everyone.

Godspeed, my friend!

• Like 2

The fire ants are back. I'm leaving and I'm taking the kids. Who's taking us in?

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Please describe your food planning/prep/routine. Thank you!

I just wanted to say that I double meals and have burgers on Saturdays so I would only cook 3X a week except that I quadruple one meal a week and freeze it so I only cook twice a week. This week is...

• Sunday: Fried fish and broccoli slaw
  • Monday: Frozen meatloaf from 2 weeks ago and leftover slaw - zero actual work
  • Tuesday: Breakfast casserole - mostly layering food and tossing it in the oven because the bacon was cooked on Sunday when I needed bacon for the slaw
  • Wednesday: Sunday's leftovers
  • Thursday: Monday's leftovers
  • Friday: Tuesday's leftovers
  • Saturday: Oldest makes burgers

So I'm cooking on Sunday and in doing so preparing Wednesday's meal, throwing something in the oven on Tuesday that I made 2 weeks ago, spending 5 minutes layering food into a Pyrex on Wednesday and we're having homemade food 6 days this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

It's pretty much based on our schedule.  Mondays we are out of the house from about 1:30 to 6:45, so Mondays we have soup in the (instant pot) slow cooker.  I make giant batches of 3 or 4 different soups that will make enough for 5 or 6 meals each to rotate each week.  This fall I'm making tomato bisque, lemon chicken tarragon, and Krissi's loaded potato.  

Tuesdays some of us need to eat dinner early and leave at 5:30 and some don't so we're having tacos - fish tacos, tacos de carnitas, and beef/bean tacos.  For those, I mainly just have the ingredients on hand - fish fillets, pulled pork, and ground beef/turkey in the freezer and other stuff in the pantry. 

Wednesday we all eat early and then head to church.  I have baked ravioli w/meatballs, coconut curry, and shepherd's pie scheduled.  The ravioli and meatballs are just from the grocery frozen foods, sauce is from a jar.  Thursday I will be gone from about 2:30 until 10:15 except for about 15 minutes, so we're having stuff that I can take out of the freezer and stick in the slow cooker - chili, beef stew, and burrito/wrap filling.

Most Fridays I'll be home, so we have West African plasas (just need chicken thighs in the freezer), corned beef, cabbage, & potatoes, and baked sauerkraut with brats.  

Saturdays I have BBQ pulled pork w/rice, salmon, and mushroom tikka masala.  I will cook a bunch of pulled pork this week and freeze into batches.

Keep in mind that I have a full-sized upright freezer in the basement that can hold a lot!  I have my recipes and ingredients/quantities list and am doing a lot of extra cooking the 2 weeks before school, but there are also a lot of things that I will gradually stock up on when I do my regular weekly grocery shopping - frozen salmon, bratwurst, chicken thights, jars of sauce, taco shells, etc.  We have just a basic (microwave steamed) vegetable &/or lettuce salad with most of the meals, so nothing fancy there.

We don't always have the scheduled meal - sometimes I get a hankering for something else or find something on sale or we have a schedule change or something, but it helps me immensely to have things ready to go.  And I am not averse to boring routines.  I treasure boring when I can get it!  :laugh:

Week-day lunches have an even more boring schedule, but it helps me a lot - Mondays leftovers or loaded nachos, Tues mac & cheese or ramen noodles, Wed fish, chicken, or tuna sandwiches, Thurs hot dogs or corn dogs, Friday instant pot potatoes or sweet potatoes.  Breakfasts are the most routine of all - dh makes breakfasts (except for Wednesdays) - Monday oatmeal w/berries, Tues eggs, Wed Greek yogurt w/berries & granola, Thurs. eggs of some kind, Friday biscuits & gravy or eggs again or maybe pancakes.

I will ask everyone which meals they like best, but in general I make what I want.  They already sigh over the vegetarian shepherd's pie, because lentils, but that's too bad. Nobody will die from a lentil-laden meal once a month.  

I'll do spring semester meals in January.  

Did I answer your question?  Way too much?  :laugh:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've gone through 2 big boxes o'stuff and played through the chamber concert music and put books and binders into cubbies and helped dd21 order more nursing books.  Now I have another bin to go through.  We're having a vegetarian version of Krissi's loaded potato soup for dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Y'all are funny.  Which I say because for some reason I can only "heart" posts right now.  Can't seem to get Lol or Trophy or Anything Else to cooperate.  

Got my letter of intent mailed yesterday (plus the required curriculum list, so kinda a big project).    I usually do tons of school planning (including that) in early June, but travel and lawn-planting got in the way this year.  Swallowing down the panic (along with chocolate chips and coffee) as I try to check off the rest of my homeschooling prep list.  Methinks this may be the year to shift us to a January start date.

Also, meatballs are bubbling in the crockpot so I'm ahead of the game for dinner.  I've been using things up in the garage freezer because it needs to be defrosted, and found frozen tomato sauce (from farm tomatoes) dated Aug 2017.   We will see if anyone's stomach notices...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My husband shops and either cooks or puts what he wants me to make at the front of the fridge.  Sometimes I ignore him and make the steak.

The end.

#spoiled

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dd is having a sleep-over with my cousins daughter who is the same age.  She slept over last year after the party too.  Last year it was unplanned, last minute so she borrowed dd's clothes (they are close to being the same size).  This year was unplanned, but she anticipated so had clothes, her computer, chargers, etc. with her.  😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, dd just turned 12.  She does tkd with two boys who are twins.  She says they're friends but we're pretty sure one of them "likes" her.   They are very nice, kinda nerdy/goofy kids.   They got her a really pretty necklace with butterflies on it for her birthday, came to the party today, open the door for her at Tkd and always greet her at the door.   They're 16.   Obviously there will be no dating or anything happening but I'm still not sure what, if anything, I should be doing.  Dd says they are just friends. (dd also thinks she may be bi).

I have no idea what to call this booya.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I got bit in the butt by a fire ant. I mustn't tell the children lest I never live it down.

I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really tired of talking about Mary's new clothes.

Fire ants are one thing I do not miss about San Antonio. No I do not miss them at all. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

So, dd just turned 12.  She does tkd with two boys who are twins.  She says they're friends but we're pretty sure one of them "likes" her.   They are very nice, kinda nerdy/goofy kids.   They got her a really pretty necklace with butterflies on it for her birthday, came to the party today, open the door for her at Tkd and always greet her at the door.   They're 16.   Obviously there will be no dating or anything happening but I'm still not sure what, if anything, I should be doing.  Dd says they are just friends. (dd also thinks she may be bi).

This would be a someone please make my child a toddler again booya. I was tall. Ignore it. Get used to it. It's common.

1 minute ago, maize said:

Fire ants are one thing I do not miss about San Antonio. No I do not miss them at all. 

They love me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I wouldn't do anything about it if interactions are just happening in public. Crushes happen every which way but if they just stay crushes are usually harmless.

If one seems to be actively pursuing her then I'd have a chat with him about her being too young for him to take an interest in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Here's what I have on iNotes on my phone for meal schedule, subject to tweaking:

Meals 
Monday
Tomato bisque (6)
Lemon chicken tarragon
Loaded potato (1)

Tuesday
Fish tacos w/cilantro lime sauce
Tacos de Carnitas w/mango salsa
Beef/bean tacos (7)

Wednesday
Baked ravioli (w/meatballs) (1)
Coconut curry w/Jasmine rice (6)
Shepherd’s pie (7)

Thursday 
Farmhouse chili (5) 
Beef stew
Slow cooker burritos (filling)

Friday
W. African Plasas (2)
Corned beef, cabbage, + boxty cakes
Baked sauerkraut w/brats (1)

Saturday
BBQ pulled pork w/rice
Salmon (2)
Tikka masala w/portabellas veg. (6)

The numbers in parentheses are how many meals of it I have ready to go.  So in the next couple of weeks most of them will have a 5 or 6 by them.  Then I change the number as they are taken out of the freezer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I bought mascara and lipstick today. Dd15 saw it and asked me why I bought makeup. I told her I was in a makeup mood. She gave me a look that said "who are you and what have you done with my mother?"

The only makeup we usually have in the house is dd's that she uses only for dance performances and that only with much complaining.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dh and I are up.  He's probably been up since 6am, I just woke up (about 9am).  He's already done all the dishes from party set-up, driven to the clubhouse and swept the floor, empty the stuff out of the cars, set up my tea, and is getting ready to make pancakes when the kids get up.  Or we decide to wake them up.

We ended up having gorgeous weather yesterday.  It was slightly cloudy in the morning but no rain at all, despite the weather reports.   We did get bad thunderstorms and torrential rain last night but nothing for our party.

Today I need to put away some stuff, do some laundry, set up school for the week.  Maybe just relax a little.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I turned down having pancakes with the kids because they make me feel icky.  So dh made me eggs with cheese.  I didn't expect him to do that, he didn't even say anything just told me my tea was done (boiling on the stove) and I found them when I went in there.  He's such a sweetie.  

• Like 9

Morning. I'm up. Awake is another matter. I spent a good hour brainstorming a novel problem with a friend, and now I'm hoping to get the grocery list done, and then get started on my own work. 

I finished The Wide Sargasso Sea last night. I wasn't terrifically impressed. Next on my reading stack for fiction is Wool. I hope it's a little easier to follow than Sargasso Sea. But before I get to read, I have to finish my writing/revision for the day, and then read my own book. See if it's fit to send tomorrow, or if I already see where and how to fix things.

• Like 7

I'm finally feeling the need to slow down for a few weeks and recharge. I can't exactly do this easily, but I'm thinking about looking ahead to see about a few trips up to the river this month and next. Taking all of the Sunday's off from writing for a while, and just reading, playing in the water, and walking. I've been driving hard for a full year or more now, and while I'm not burned out (far from it--got three projects all demanding my creative energy at the moment, and more on the way, I've no doubt), I really need to just take some time to be. 

I'm also going to try to set a new housekeeping schedule that involves the boys in more of the upkeep inside. They aren't going to like that, but I want them to be aware of just how tough it is for a woman to work full time, inside or outside the house, and still be "expected" to do all the homework. I want them to understand that on a personal level, and to realize that by dividing all labor more equally, and limiting that labor to the basic necessary things in life, they can free up more time for a whole family to have leisure time together or apart as desired. 

It may mean a little more work for me in the beginning--especially as they learn to take a meal plan and fix a whole meal, not just for themselves, but for all four of us, but I hope it will be worth it in the end. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

it’s the last day of the Family Reunion. Two of my cousins and I are in charge of the food today. The noon meal is when we break out my 15 dozen zwiebach. We’ll be having our own church service this morning. Lots of singing, my family sings well and in parts. It’s beautiful. My Grandma was very poor and had a hard life, but she sang and sang a lot.

• Like 8

That sounds like a good plan, Critter. My kids have had to make one lunch a week for all of us this summer. They haven’t been thrilled, and I admit it didn’t go as wonderfully as I had planned, but it was a good experience for them. The only one who really loved it was DD3 who loves cooking. She’s pour over her “kids cookbooks” she got from the library all morning on her day to cook. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

I think the key with my guys is going to be really putting them in charge. Letting them make mistakes, mess up, and read different "organization" books in an effort to find out what could work best. And pick out cookbooks. Next year, I'm hoping that we have a dehydrator, and both of them can start refining their own meal plans with nutrition in mind. I want to carry this all through the rest of highschool--adding things like growing a kitchen garden, basic car repair, budgeting, going to the grocery store and reading labels, basic sewing (the boy is making his own sails now, and got a run on Nana's sewing machine). Composting. Canning. Reducing household waste. Planning and cooking a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner along simple lines--learning how to get the cook out of the kitchen and with the company. 

It's this glorious vision I have, and making it work is going to be tough, but I think it's something that they can use in life--finding where house and home meet, and doing what they can to reduce the burden for everyone and really focus on creating time to live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So, hit me with your best Home Organization books and Cooking Planning books! I've a few, but I want reading and deciding how to come up with a basic system to be part of the process.

And maybe I'll write up the whole thing as we do it, and blog about it somewhere, LOL.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

it’s the last day of the Family Reunion. Two of my cousins and I are in charge of the food today. The noon meal is when we break out my 15 dozen zwiebach. We’ll be having our own church service this morning. Lots of singing, my family sings well and in parts. It’s beautiful. My Grandma was very poor and had a hard life, but she sang and sang a lot.

This sounds beautiful!

• Like 3

I am procrastinating acknowledging the approach of the new school year.

At some point I need to sit down and put everything on the schedule; we've got a couple of activities that are still a bit up in the air but basically I can plan to be busy every day between karate, dance, choir, and musical practice. 

I suppose we will have to squeeze some academics in there somewhere.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  My very cells are still exhausted and depleted - not of all energy - I would not be able to swallow and breathe etc. if that was the case - but of enough to make me feel like a slug has more energy than me!  But I am out of bed.  And I am ready for church.  I can sit.  I can sleep in a pew.  (Bad Pastor's wife strikes again!)  And I can listen in between nodding off.

Dd has made us gf pancakes this morning. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I went to church -- with shoes!

I was planning to skip singing in the choir this morning since I can't put any weight on my left foot.  When I saw that there was only one tenor, I told the choir director that if we could find a chair for me to sit in, I could do it.  We found a chair, another tenor showed up, and there were three of us.  :)  (The choir had probably 25-30 this morning, so 3 tenors was still not enough, but at least I was able to help a little.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Ooo! Good read!

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Yay! Glad to hear it. I still need to finish Wild Fruits--Mr. Thoreau was a little too thorough. And then I have a couple of possible comp reads to do for my latest MS.

I really liked Wool too!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 7:45 AM, Susan in TN said:

Absolutely!

I'm hoping Renai will dress up like a gypsy with her tambourine and dance in and out of the runners.  :laugh:

I have the get-up for it. I'm a gypsy every year at the Renaissance Fair. 😄

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I've gone through 2 big boxes o'stuff and played through the chamber concert music and put books and binders into cubbies and helped dd21 order more nursing books.  Now I have another bin to go through.  We're having a vegetarian version of Krissi's loaded potato soup for dinner.

Is this recipe in the ITT cookbook that we have yet to put together?

My dh dislikes freezer meals.

Gymnast starts part-time school in a week. It would be nice if she had decent clothes to wear. I'm planning to braid her hair up and put in a few beads.

I've been in a funk.

This is day 2 of "trying to be a migraine." It has downgraded to pressure in my neck and various parts of my head.

I have some writing to do, and figure out my teaching schedule. I am not getting enough enrollments, whereas last year I was filling up classes about this time.

I think that's all for now. 🙂 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I have the get-up for it. I'm a gypsy every year at the Renaissance Fair. 😄

Is this recipe in the ITT cookbook that we have yet to put together?

I've been in a funk.

This is day 2 of "trying to be a migraine." It has downgraded to pressure in my neck and various parts of my head.

Excellent!

yes, recipe

Boo for funk and migraine wannabe!  Today is the first day in several that I haven't had one lurking in the corner - stupid head!

• Like 5