Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

EDPO ALERT

So. I am freaking out about 1) Senior year and 2) Transcript.

Questions:

What should I do for science? We've done Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, in that order. Would Psychology (with labs) count? What about Forensics? Or should I do another round of the traditional, like "Advance Physics?" Or something else?

I think I have a million transcript questions, but the most pressing is how to handle Great Books? Do I separate it into English and History? Or call it one class with 2 credits? How do I then add in the ancillary stuff, like additional history readings (text, minimal) and English (usually 2-3 Bravewriter classes per year)? Also, the short person takes a BW 1/4 credit Shakespeare Literary Analysis every year (she's done 5 or 6-can't remember if she started in 7th or 8th, but they're HS level.) Should I separate those out and give her a separate credit for Shakespeare studies?

Help me, ITT! You're my only hope (of clinging to what remains of my sanity)!

I agree with others to give a credit for Shakespeare.

I think advanced physics is probably a good choice given her math love and the possibility that she would go towards math or engineering.  Although she could do anything and it would be fine.

As far as great books goes - if you just do a history credit and an english credit, that would be fine, as that's what most ad coms are expecting to see.  But if you're applying places where you think they'll be interested in course descriptions and you want to bring attention to the fact that you approached this differently than most schools, then I would title the credits in a way that communicates that.  I would seek out opinions (and maybe examples) on the highschool board before I would combine the history and english credit as a great books class worth two credits just because I would hate for an ad com unfamiliar with that approach to think you were missing legitimate english and history credits, kwim?  

• Like 1

I think I need some COFFEE!!!~D now. I had some chips and brownies for lunch. Going to a huge bbq tonight. Working on eating more healthy, you know.😂😂😂😂

JJM, I have no advice, but it sounds like plenty of people know what they are talking about, so I believe you are in good hands.

I should go make my salsa, too, 

I’m still in my robe, lounging around watching tv.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

EDPO ALERT

So. I am freaking out about 1) Senior year and 2) Transcript.

Questions:

What should I do for science? We've done Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, in that order. Would Psychology (with labs) count? What about Forensics? Or should I do another round of the traditional, like "Advance Physics?" Or something else?

I think I have a million transcript questions, but the most pressing is how to handle Great Books? Do I separate it into English and History? Or call it one class with 2 credits? How do I then add in the ancillary stuff, like additional history readings (text, minimal) and English (usually 2-3 Bravewriter classes per year)? Also, the short person takes a BW 1/4 credit Shakespeare Literary Analysis every year (she's done 5 or 6-can't remember if she started in 7th or 8th, but they're HS level.) Should I separate those out and give her a separate credit for Shakespeare studies?

Help me, ITT! You're my only hope (of clinging to what remains of my sanity)!

What does she want to do for science? If interested in physics, go advanced, if not then go in a different direction. Psychology would not count as a science; it is a social science which is not the same thing. I've seen some forensics listed as science. I guess it depends on how sciencey it is...

The WTM high school board is awesome. Seriously. Even if it is daunting and you're initially scared of it, go. There is a wealth of information, and it has saved me (and many others) many times. I don't know how long it's been since you've been on the accelerated board, but they may be helpful there too. 

5 hours ago, Junie said:

Also, I never had physics, so I am really, really clueless about it.

Neither have I, so me too.

4 hours ago, maize said:

Have you looked at the pinned Physics thread on the high school board?

There might be one that includes some calculus but could be done concurrently with Calc.

Yes. The WTM high school board is the Thing.

• Like 4

On 7/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, Where's Toto? said:

Good Morning.  Happy Wednesday.  Today we go canoeing/kayaking on the Susquehanna River.  Hopefully we're done before this afternoons thunderstorms.  

Did you see my boss out there?  He left early to go spend time on the river.  By himself, apparently.  I guess he needed some alone time. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyone else find it slightly amusing that when you say you are from Texas, they are shocked cause you don’t have that southern drawl people expect? I may say “y’all” but I’m a Yankee!

I will occassionally write y'all on ITT because it's handy, but I have never said it in person.  It would sound stupid coming out of my mouth, (though that doesn't stop me from saying other things that sound stupid).  :laugh:

When dd20 first met her roommates, two from MS and one from TN, they asked her where she was from.  She said TN.  They asked where she was REALLY from, and she said she was born and raised in TN.  They didn't believe her until she explained that her mom is from MN and her dad from NY.  Aha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyone else find it slightly amusing that when you say you are from Texas, they are shocked cause you don’t have that southern drawl people expect? I may say “y’all” but I’m a Yankee!

I say y’all all the time and I was born and raised in California. I find it an extremely functional word, especially since “proper” English does not have a word for second person plural.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I say y’all all the time and I was born and raised in California. I find it an extremely functional word, especially since “proper” English does not have a word for second person plural.

I agree that y'all is very useful--though I notice that in some areas it is following the same path "you" took--from being exclusively a second person plural to also serving as second person singular. Once upon a time we could say "thou" for singular and "you" for plural (or formal) then "you" became the norm for informal singular as well so folks started saying"y'all" for plural, now "y'all" can sometimes be singular as well so the plural becomes "all y'all"!

We may be stuck in an endless loop of singularizing and pluralizing pronouns...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Where I grew up, yous was an acceptable plural.  I learned y'all when I went to college.

I use y'all occasionally now and yous never.

The first time my brother heard me say y'all he accused me of saying a four-letter word. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Morning. I'd still be asleep were it not for an early bird DH and an aggressively friendly cat who came to step on my head and gargle in my ear around six because he thought I could be dead. Clearly, I need to remind this cat of the ITT regulations. I was going to give the boys a day off, but when I tottered into the kitchen, the one greeted me and continued working on his geometry. So I guess we are doing school after all.

Tea. Because this day is starting out in an Alice and Wonderland kind of way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  We're packing up and heading home today, with a brief stop at the caves.   Tomorrow we make the round trip to pick up the dog.  I also need to find time to shop for my camp and set up a few things, plus update tent signs for the 4-H Fair.  Busy busy busy weekend.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

The make at home hot "cocoa" is too sweet/salty/watery.

Yes.  You have to double up on the chocolate mix and then it's still a little weird.  I've never had Starbucks hot chocolate.  

I remember as a child the rare ocassion of going to a restaurant and my parents would let me get a chocolate milk - such a heavenly treat!  It must have been made with whole milk because it was incredibly rich.  (We only drank skim milk at home.)

[edpo]

Tutor did not show up this morning (after canceling just an hour beforehand last week). 🙄  Do you know anybody who tutors live online (spelling and writing)? I would love to find something like Homeschool Spanish Academy.

[/edpo]

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I thought "you" was singular and plural. Although, I rarely hear it used as a plural.

7 hours ago, Slache said:

I stil awake. I berry tired.

That's not good. Can you nap later?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

[edpo]

Tutor did not show up this morning (after canceling just an hour beforehand last week). 🙄  Do you know anybody who tutors live online (spelling and writing)? I would love to find something like Homeschool Spanish Academy.

[/edpo]

Yeah, it's time to fire the flaky tutor. You didn't pay upfront did you?

I know there are tutors on Outschool. Also, if you are on FB, there is a group called Parents and Teachers Searching for Awesome Online Classes (or something like that, I'm one of the moderators), and there are teachers and tutors from different platforms. Some are from Outschool, and some are private. You can scan the posts, or put out a question and they'll probably come out of the woodwork.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I thought "you" was singular and plural. Although, I rarely hear it used as a plural.

Yes, in most of the English speaking world you serves as both second person singular and second person plural. 

You started out as plural, the equivalent of vous in French and vosotros or ustedes in Spanish and ihr in German. Thou was the equivalent of the second person singular tu, du, usted. Like vous in French you also served as a formal/respectful second person singular and at some point we dropped thou (easy to see how thou is cognate to "tu" and "du"; English often has a th where other Indo-European languages have t or d--think in English is denke in German, thank is danke) entirely and just used you for second person, singular and plural, formal and informal.

This etymology rabbit trail brought to you courtesy of maize's long standing fascination with language 😄

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Okay. These people had two dogs and a litter of puppies. He got lots of pictures and a video. He's submitting a claim for a cleaning fee.

Instead of unloading the car they decided to get into a fight outside screaming about calling the police and other such things so that Matt couldn't go get another ride. They also dumped a bunch of water in his car so he can't pick anybody up until it dries. This was like a 2 hour ordeal costing him a lot of money.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, Renai said:

Yeah, it's time to fire the flaky tutor. You didn't pay upfront did you?

I know there are tutors on Outschool. Also, if you are on FB, there is a group called Parents and Teachers Searching for Awesome Online Classes (or something like that, I'm one of the moderators), and there are teachers and tutors from different platforms. Some are from Outschool, and some are private. You can scan the posts, or put out a question and they'll probably come out of the woodwork.

It's through a service, which I pay for a month at a time, prorated for any weeks with no session. The previous tutor was overqualified & found a day job after a few weeks. This person is not especially qualified (college student). Service owner responded quickly saying this is not like him, she has left him text, voicemail & email, and he's worked for her for 2 years without this happening, so she's concerned about him. She'll match us up with someone else unless he has a compelling explanation by the start of next week. We have limited availability, which doesn't help. I may try Outschool next--I tend to think of it as only classes.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Okay. These people had two dogs and a litter of puppies. He got lots of pictures and a video. He's submitting a claim for a cleaning fee.

Instead of unloading the car they decided to get into a fight outside screaming about calling the police and other such things so that Matt couldn't go get another ride. They also dumped a bunch of water in his car so he can't pick anybody up until it dries. This was like a 2 hour ordeal costing him a lot of money.

They were fighting with Matt, or each other? That's crazy either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Matt had a Lyft pick up that is people moving from one hotel room to another. They have their dog in the car and now his car smells like urine.

I was going to say that I'd be so pissed, but realized the pun and decided not to due to inappropriateness. I am, however, very not happy with these people. That smell can be hard to get out.

• Like 4

Just now, Renai said:

I was going to say that I'd be so pissed, but realized the pun and decided not to due to inappropriateness. I am, however, very not happy with these people. That smell can be hard to get out.

He filed a claim for a cleaning fee. These are all "support dogs" though so they'll probably fight it and win.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Slache said:

He filed a claim for a cleaning fee. These are all "support dogs" though so they'll probably fight it and win.

Support or not, if they peed in his car, they should pay a cleaning fee. Support dog pee does not smell better than non-support dog pee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Renai said:

Support or not, if they peed in his car, they should pay a cleaning fee. Support dog pee does not smell better than non-support dog pee. 

But support dogs usually get out of paying for anything. Motel 6 tried to charge us for Miami peeing in the hotel room which she did not do and we were told to say that she was a support animal because they did not charge when support animals peed. There are other situations where you can get out with support animals. We did not have to pay the fee but we did not claim she was a support animal. She needs a support animal more than anything.

• Like 1