Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 hours ago, Junie said:

I'm glad you're having a good trip.

If you know which island you lost your shoes on, I can ask my brother to look for them.  He enjoys fishing on the Susquehanna.

Are you going to the Indian Echo Caverns?  I've been there several times and it is a wonderful place to spend a hot, summer day!

LOL, it was the first or second island after the stone bridge just down from Maryville.   😁   Although my sneaker is sunk about 2 feet deep into the mud and I think her shoes are at least 1 foot deep.   

Yes, Indian Echo Caverns.   Oldest dd and I made this trip the year I started dating dh (15 years ago) and that's the Caverns we went to then.   We occasionally go to Crystal Caves from home.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

LOL, it was the first or second island after the stone bridge just down from Maryville.   😁   Although my sneaker is sunk about 2 feet deep into the mud and I think her shoes are at least 1 foot deep.   

Yes, Indian Echo Caverns.   Oldest dd and I made this trip the year I started dating dh (15 years ago) and that's the Caverns we went to then.   We occasionally go to Crystal Caves from home.

I found this really cool map of the islands in the Susquehanna.  I need to send this to my brother.

I heard that my sister-in-law's family owns one of the islands, but I don't know if that's true or not.  It was in the context of "Your brother is just marrying her for her island and her boat."  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Junie said:

I found this really cool map of the islands in the Susquehanna.  I need to send this to my brother.

I heard that my sister-in-law's family owns one of the islands, but I don't know if that's true or not.  It was in the context of "Your brother is just marrying her for her island and her boat."  🙂

Valid reason to marry her. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I am...here. Typical summer depressive day for me, and I've got to get out in it later. But I refused to take the boy fishing on the lake today. It's going to be crazy out there, and I just can't tolerate the heat and the sun today. Nothing doing. Caves. I could go in for some cave fishing. 

I'm feeling terribly low about everything, but caffeine should fix me, and writing will cheer me up if I can ever get out of the kitchen and into my words. I'm baking a cheesecake and trying to get all the laundry from yesterday done.

• Like 5

When my brother was getting married, I bought him a gift that said:

I love it when my wife lets me go fishing.

The words in the middle were in very small writing so at first glance it just says I love fishing.  :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Junie said:

I heard that my sister-in-law's family owns one of the islands, but I don't know if that's true or not.  It was in the context of "Your brother is just marrying her for her island and her boat."  🙂

Looks like it was the just up from the Rockville Bridge that we started, about halfway between that bridge and the statue of liberty.  We had to go under that bridge toward the left side of the river (right on that map) to avoid the rapids, so the first thing we had to do was paddle as straight across as we could.   One of those little islands between the rapids and the next bridge are where we tried to stop.  We got out at the West Fairview Boat Launch.   

This map is better than the one the rental place gave us, although when you are out there, it's really hard to figure out which islands are which. 

• Like 3

On 7/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, Where's Toto? said:

My understanding is that the difference is movement and how they are fed.  Lakes are fed by rivers and constantly refreshed, so the water often has a flow to it.  Ponds are fed by smaller streams that may dry up at certain times of year, and the water tends to be still.

I keep thinking about this definition. Not all lakes are fed by rivers, though most are. There are bodies of water called "lakes" that are completely stand-alone (like crater lakes). The main difference between ponds and lakes is said to be size, but size is relative. But, I started researching it (because I'm weird), and the most I came up with is that  there is no actual scientific difference between lakes and ponds. Lakescientist.com has an interesting article about how to differ them however: https://www.lakescientist.com/lake-facts/how-lakes-differ/

• Like 5

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

I like percolators.  I remember my Granny's making that sound I love on the stove.   I would maybe like one later, when my coffee maker gives out.  I only want the one with the glass thing on top, though.

Why? I know nothing. My girlfriend has one and I hear they're easier to clean. Those are the selling points.

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Yes.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am...here. Typical summer depressive day for me, and I've got to get out in it later. But I refused to take the boy fishing on the lake today. It's going to be crazy out there, and I just can't tolerate the heat and the sun today. Nothing doing. Caves. I could go in for some cave fishing. 

I'm feeling terribly low about everything, but caffeine should fix me, and writing will cheer me up if I can ever get out of the kitchen and into my words. I'm baking a cheesecake and trying to get all the laundry from yesterday done.

Go Critter go!  You can do it!  And schedule some time in your shaded room today.  Cozy!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

I keep thinking about this definition. Not all lakes are fed by rivers, though most are. There are bodies of water called "lakes" that are completely stand-alone (like crater lakes). The main difference between ponds and lakes is said to be size, but size is relative. But, I started researching it (because I'm weird), and the most I came up with is that  there is no actual scientific difference between lakes and ponds. Lakescientist.com has an interesting article about how to differ them however: https://www.lakescientist.com/lake-facts/how-lakes-differ/

My definition came from when I was a Biology/Environmental Science major in college.

I wonder if the scientific designation and the common name may also differ sometimes.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

My definition came from when I was a Biology/Environmental Science major in college.

I wonder if the scientific designation and the common name may also differ sometimes.    

Yeah, I just walked away wondering and still confused...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Small, minor crisis this morning:  my coffee pot is not working.  Lights are on, but nothing is heating up or brewing.  I shall acquire a cup when I take dd to swim.  Oh, and she's 11 today!! 🎉

That is a crisis. And not a "small, minor" one, either.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

S. Korea is very far away.  Though maybe it seems less far from the West Coast?  I'm not sure I approve of this.

Huh? What'd I miss?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Are percolators complicated?  I vote for simple.    

Nope. As described by girlfriend: Coffee goes in the top, water goes in the bottom, magic happens, and then coffee comes out.

Less parts, easier to clean and keeps coffee hot longer because it's not open like a pot. So there are no downsides which is why everyone has one and no one uses coffee pots anymore. I need to figure out the downsides because that last sentence is the opposite of true. Same amount of counter space and cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's cheaper than breakfast.

But not as filling, which means one still needs food later. And, high blood pressure if caffeinated, which defeats the purpose of having coffee if one can only drink decaf...

• Sad 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D (my  4-cup one broke, I use my 12-cup one. I have no opinions on percolators, except that they remind me of the 1970’s and I love the 70’s)

Happy Independence Day!!!! We are going to a huge party tonight.i need to make chips and salsa.

Happy Birthday, Lynn’s DD.

And Lynn, no COFFEE!!!!~D is actually a crisis of epic proportions according to Hanks Crisis Manual.

JJM, my DH is going to S. Korea on business next week. And Susan, I agree, I am really not ok with this, but it is part of the job. And we need the money. So, there’s that.

Renai, it is true that there are spring fed ponds/lakes but that only throws confusion into the whole discussion. So, I would prefer to stay with my original premise that lakes are big and ponds are small. Defining big and small can be left up to the individual.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Renai, it is true that there are spring fed ponds/lakes but that only throws confusion into the whole discussion. So, I would prefer to stay with my original premise that lakes are big and ponds are small. Defining big and small can be left up to the individual.

Yes, that is what I was saying (according to my limited research). Most difference is size, but size is relative. Toto mentioned the feeding thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

People have had worse reasons.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I know nothing of the intricacies of coffee making. One of my boys likes coffee. He uses a French Press.

We have a French press that is used rarely.  But it's a good tool to have in case a zombie apocalypse breaks out.  We use a 14 cup coffee maker which is helpful when all the kids are home all day, but not necessary when I'm the only coffee drinker home all day.  I'm down to 2 small mugs per day.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I don't drink coffee and never have.  I'm tea all the way.   I have a lovely glass tea kettle that I make my tea in each morning, and a lovely cozy that keeps it warm long enough to have my two cups.  

I think tea cozies are the coolest things!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

But not as filling, which means one still needs food later. And, high blood pressure if caffeinated, which defeats the purpose of having coffee if one can only drink decaf...

I am strangely content to not eat for long periods of time.

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Because I like to see the coffee pop up and down in it. 

Well this is kinda kewl...

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I know nothing of the intricacies of coffee making. One of my boys likes coffee. He uses a French Press.

I don't need more options!

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I think tea cozies are the coolest things!!!

I might need this option...

• Like 3

We decided to skip the science museum today, it seems like it's mainly for younger kids.   We're just relaxing in the hotel for now, then we'll go out to dinner, head over to the Hershey factory tour (maybe do the trolley tour and/or the 4D movie experience), then stay in that area to see the fireworks.   

We're all tired and sore so a day to relax is probably a good thing.  I'm working on my camp for next week too.  

• Like 4

6.6, yikes.

We festivaled. (This was our 12th year--we have it down to a science.) Now we're home and that's good because it's already thundering. I think DS will have to be content with online fireworks. Suits me fine!

Edited by 73349
  • Like 4

EDPO ALERT

So. I am freaking out about 1) Senior year and 2) Transcript.

Questions:

What should I do for science? We've done Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, in that order. Would Psychology (with labs) count? What about Forensics? Or should I do another round of the traditional, like "Advance Physics?" Or something else?

I think I have a million transcript questions, but the most pressing is how to handle Great Books? Do I separate it into English and History? Or call it one class with 2 credits? How do I then add in the ancillary stuff, like additional history readings (text, minimal) and English (usually 2-3 Bravewriter classes per year)? Also, the short person takes a BW 1/4 credit Shakespeare Literary Analysis every year (she's done 5 or 6-can't remember if she started in 7th or 8th, but they're HS level.) Should I separate those out and give her a separate credit for Shakespeare studies?

Help me, ITT! You're my only hope (of clinging to what remains of my sanity)!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

EDPO ALERT

Questions:

What should I do for science? We've done Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, in that order. Would Psychology (with labs) count? What about Forensics? Or should I do another round of the traditional, like "Advance Physics?" Or something else?

I think I have a million transcript questions, but the most pressing is how to handle Great Books? Do I separate it into English and History? Or call it one class with 2 credits? How do I then add in the ancillary stuff, like additional history readings (text, minimal) and English (usually 2-3 Bravewriter classes per year)? Also, the short person takes a BW 1/4 credit Shakespeare Literary Analysis every year (she's done 5 or 6-can't remember if she started in 7th or 8th, but they're HS level.) Should I separate those out and give her a separate credit for Shakespeare studies?

For science, what is your student interested in?

An advanced physics with more math would be a good traditional choice but really I'd pick whatever interests them most.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

EDPO ALERT

Questions:

I would probably go with Advanced Physics (especially since she's math-y and she has Physics a long time ago.)

I would count Shakespeare as a 1 credit class.

No idea about Great Books or Bravewriter.

• Like 5

Just now, Junie said:

I would probably go with Advanced Physics (especially since she's math-y and she has Physics a long time ago.)

I would count Shakespeare as a 1 credit class.

No idea about Great Books or Bravewriter.

Any recommendations? She did Honors Physics with Derek Owens the first time around. (I think she retained quite a bit. I had her take a practice SAT 2 cold before she left [she will need to take one science and Math 2 for a couple of apps], and she scored over 700, so I don't think it needs to be really basic again. Also, she hasn't had calc yet [this year.])

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Any recommendations? She did Honors Physics with Derek Owens the first time around. (I think she retained quite a bit. I had her take a practice SAT 2 cold before she left [she will need to take one science and Math 2 for a couple of apps], and she scored over 700, so I don't think it needs to be really basic again. Also, she hasn't had calc yet [this year.])

Nope.  We don't even own a Physics book.  So far, my only high schooler who likes science is dd16.  She took 3 biology courses, but no physics.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Have you looked at the pinned Physics thread on the high school board?

There might be one that includes some calculus but could be done concurrently with Calc.

• Like 3