Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Renai said:

But, instead of "working," I'm bantering with you.

Exactly as things should be!

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh is on his way home!  Yippeee!  MIL is home and doing well.

Good news!  How are you doing?

1 hour ago, Slache said:

So much work with so little reward. Not for the faint of heart. I am the faint of heart.

I am descended from a long line of Norwegian farmers.  I consider myself to be a tough cookie, but not that tough.  When I was in Norway I saw farmers plowing fields on the sides of mountains.  That's crazy. 

• Like 3

Imma go spend my free half-hour learning fiddle tune chords on the ukulele.

It's a Ukulele Booyah!  (Has a nice ring to it...:biggrin:)

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm thinking about planning to be a market grower. It's a newish idea, so I'm still in the reading about it and talking to people phase, but it's something I might actually be able to do. So far, I like what I'm learning. 

No animals?

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I think it sounds exciting. Everything is hard work in one way or another, right? This one sounds fun, too.

Not like this. This sets the bar for hard work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Bees, chickens, a donkey, and a dog have been agreed on. We're still discussing cows, goats and pigs.

I was thinking starting with some veggies and herbs, and maybe a small orchard and seeing where it went. Then I mentioned it to my family. 

We're also kicking around ideas for handcrafts we could do in the winter to sell in the summer months. What are some handcrafts we could learn proficiently in a few years' time? We have a five year plan. So far we have knitting, crochet, quilting, sewing, leather working and wood working.

If you raise animals you might never go on vacation again.

Handicrafts. Instead of making them would you consider teaching classes? People will not pay more than $40 for a quilt anymore. People will pay $300 to learn to make a quilt with you. There was a group in Oregon that taught candle classes in the middle of their farm. It was very charming and quaint and educational and expensive.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

If you raise animals you might never go on vacation again.

Handicrafts. Instead of making them would you consider teaching classes? People will not pay more than $40 for a quilt anymore. People will pay $300 to learn to make a quilt with you. There was a group in Oregon that taught candle classes in the middle of their farm. It was very charming and quaint and educational and expensive.

The classes are a good idea, but the $40 part isn't true.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good news!  How are you doing?

I'm doing well, thank you for asking.  My back isn't too bad even as the Advil is wearing off.  I think because I stopped what I was doing, popped Advil and put heat on it as soon as it happened that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  Some Neosporin with aloe on the burns seems to have helped that.  I have it wrapped up pretty well because banging it was pretty painful.

Dh is home and relaxing.  We're driving the dog down to his niece first thing tomorrow morning, stopping and having lunch with his mom, then driving home.   We leave Sunday just before lunch for Hershey.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Where is it coming out? I would like to read it.

I believe it will only be on my website. Since it is a collaboration, the main editor is putting it together and we have to purchase our own copies to resell. The editor has rights to put it on the large marketing platforms (B&N, Amazon, etc.), but we don't.

I will also put out a book on my own about our bilingual homeschool journey, and that one will be available wherever I can put it (Amazon, Lulu - has worldwide distribution, etc.).

Edited by Renai
added info
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Bees, chickens, a donkey, and a dog have been agreed on. We're still discussing cows, goats and pigs.

I was thinking starting with some veggies and herbs, and maybe a small orchard and seeing where it went. Then I mentioned it to my family. 

We're also kicking around ideas for handcrafts we could do in the winter to sell in the summer months. What are some handcrafts we could learn proficiently in a few years' time? We have a five year plan. So far we have knitting, crochet, quilting, sewing, leather working and wood working.

Follow your bliss.  Hard work isn't so hard when it is something you love. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Dh went out to mow the lawn and I can hear that our neighbor has joined him.  Our neighbor is super nice and often mows our lawn for us.  We have a flat backyard and he has a zero-turn mower that he really likes.  He can zip through our backyard in about 10 minutes.  (When dh mows the backyard with our small push mower it takes over an hour.)

• Like 4

The Amish quilts in PA definitely sell for more than $40. I don’t own one.  

To be honest though, its probably because I’m not a big fan.  Some are really gorgeous.  But then I would be afraid to use/wash it, and displaying an item meant for use is not my thing either.  

In other news, it took 3 weeks to get my name updated on PayPal. Then it wouldn’t take my credit card still.  So I downloaded the app on my phone and was able to enter my card that way.  It processed right through. In the meantime I had emailed customer service yet again.  They got back to me after I had already made a payment with my newly entered card, saying it was because I would have to call as phone was the only way to do the verification?  I think those PayPal customer service people need a whole lot more training.  I also think they have no idea what is going on because their different platforms/ interfaces all function differently from each other and in my opinion the Microsoft computer-based ones just flat out don’t work.  Like some IT person broke something and no one has noticed or something.  At least they don’t work for me.  The only part that worked for me on their site, from my laptop, was the customer service contact link. Everything else was denied! Try again! Oops, something went wrong! (Apple iPhone app worked immediately.) It’s done now and I can move on. Yay!! 

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Dh went out to mow the lawn and I can hear that our neighbor has joined him.  Our neighbor is super nice and often mows our lawn for us.  We have a flat backyard and he has a zero-turn mower that he really likes.  He can zip through our backyard in about 10 minutes.  (When dh mows the backyard with our small push mower it takes over an hour.)

My husband has a manual push mower.  Is that what you have?  Or are you guys all fancy with a self-propelled? 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Junie said:

It's self propelled.  🙂

In related news, I have never used a lawn mower.

Never mowed?  You lucky gal.  

I try not to.  Plus, I have an excuse if I don’t want to, because I told him if he chose the manual one he was on his own 😆

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Never mowed?  You lucky gal.  

I try not to.  Plus, I have an excuse if I don’t want to, because I told him if he chose the manual one he was on his own 😆

My younger sister is quite a bit taller than me.  When we were teenagers, she was tall enough to use the mower before I was.  On her very first trip through the yard she ran over a tree stump and bent the blade.  It was the first and last time my dad let one of his daughters touch his mower.  :party:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

We have nowhere near a full acre.  I think DH might switch to a self-propelled down here, though.  It gets hot in FL and the grass grows fast.  He may be reconsidering his choice of mower as a result.  It’s turning more into a “get ‘er done” rather than a labour of love.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Your sister was very smart. I think men think we’re stupid.  We’re not.  We just know how to play the part to get out of stuff.

Yep.  My sister is an expert at playing the dumb card.  I still don't know if she did it on purpose or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

My granny would never let her kids or grandkids (grown or not) use the push mower or mow the ditch by the road.  She would only let us use the riding mower.  I think it was three acres of actual yard.

Why not? 

• Like 1

Good morning!

We have an electric mower (given to us) that I have never used, and my favorite reel mower that I would love even more if it was sharpened. 

Bookie, you should absolutely go for it!  You will become a master of farming as you go along.  

We are celebrating ds23’s birthday today because tomorrow he has to leave for work at 6:30am and dd12 leaves for camp after church. 

Dd10 and I will spend the morning making a birthday ice cream pie. 

Coffee!

• Like 4

I've been trying to train ds13 to mow the lawn. He's not very interested and is an extremely difficult child to motivate. Maybe I should try to train ds9 instead. We use a small electric mower so it isn't too big for him and he doesn't have a regular job yet.

In the meantime mowing is my job. Because everything is my job. Those two taken together mean that mowing doesn't happen very often.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

It is so deliciously cool out this morning!! But, yesterday was the end of it. It’s supposed to be 103 degrees next week.

Not much going on today. I think I will go to the Afsa this morning and get some sugar and Sure-jell, besides the normal groceries. My aunt gave me a big box of apricots. I love me some apricot jam!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, maize said:

I've been trying to train ds13 to mow the lawn. He's not very interested and is a extremely difficult child to motivate. Maybe I should try to train ds9 instead. We use a small electric mower so it isn't too big for him and he doesn't have a regular job yet.

In the meantime mowing is my job. Because everything is my job. Those two taken together mean that mowing doesn't happen very often.

Mowing the lawns every week is one of DS’s paid jobs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

Your sister was very smart. I think men think we’re stupid.  We’re not.  We just know how to play the part to get out of stuff.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Yep.  My sister is an expert at playing the dumb card.  I still don't know if she did it on purpose or not.

Well, yeah. I do that all the time. Why should I do stuff I hate if I can get DH to do it for me?? TBH, he actually figured that out, but when he mentioned it to me, I just shrugged.

To be fair, I do a lot of stuff I hate,  but I don’t mow lawns or kill bugs or back my car out of the garage.

• Like 4

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am glad that it is morning. It was a brutal night. 

I don't know how you keep going.

My neck/shoulder/back are still hurting from whatever it is I did to them in acro class on Thursday. I find the pain incredibly draining.

I can hardly imagine dealing with chronic pain.

• Like 4

((Jeannie))

I made it back from the Afsa. No make-up, didn’t wash the goat. I am so glad I didn’t run into anyone I knew. Now, i’m Going to deal with those apricots. I think apricots are one of my most favorite fruits. They are so easy to eat fresh.... not too big, not juicy or messy at all, you can eat the peel and it’s fine, not too tart. And I love apricot jam and apricot pie.

Hmm, I think I need to make up an Ode to the Apricot.

• Like 5

Batch 2 is processing. Ima rest a minute or two before doing the next one. Since I am out of pectin and still have half a box of apricots, I am going to make my next batch a spread. No pectin, but you cook it down for half an hour till it thickens.

It’s a Jammy Booya/h!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I don't go on vacation now. I've been thinking about classes. I like teaching, and I know there's a big push toward more natural living in my area. The classes I had in mind were on the farming side: beekeeping, gardening, seed saving, and preserving. Handicrafts would be another great list to offer. I think the key to making it work is going to be multiple income streams. 

Beekeeping is fun, but expensive. Lots of equipment up front, and there's quite a number of pests to worry about with bees. However, you should be able to get in with your local beekeeping group and start learning. It's really interesting. One day, when I'm not so busy, I'd like to have a half-dozen hives again. Just a lot to keep up with. The beekeepers should be able to teach you a lot about how it works, when to medicate, how to deal with bee parasites, what kind of forage opportunities are best for your area, and so forth.

• Like 2

I do not mow. I mowed my fair share of lawns for money and love when I was young, but the combination of a riding lawnmower and my grasshopper phobia would not be a pretty picture. So I don't mow. 

In other news, I said I'd take the boys to the lake tomorrow. I need to write. But they need lake time, and there's a rock outcropping they want to harvest. I guess I'll take character work to do. Too bright to take the laptop and work outside.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Beekeeping is fun, but expensive. Lots of equipment up front, and there's quite a number of pests to worry about with bees. However, you should be able to get in with your local beekeeping group and start learning. It's really interesting. One day, when I'm not so busy, I'd like to have a half-dozen hives again. Just a lot to keep up with. The beekeepers should be able to teach you a lot about how it works, when to medicate, how to deal with bee parasites, what kind of forage opportunities are best for your area, and so forth.

We had a beekeeping family in our former (now defunct) homeschool group. The dad gave us a talk one day. Absolutely fascinating. He also does a lot of local (and not so local) hive rescues. Very interesting job.

• Like 3

I've never mowed a lawn.  I grew up in an apartment and always had husbands to take care of it once I was an adult.  Dh is working on teaching ds to do it but most of the time dh just does it himself.  He does ours and my mothers.   I don't like the mower.  it's a gas powered that is hard to get started.

My mother makes quilts.   She doesn't sell them though.  Doesn't want the hassle.   I usually see handmade quilts priced over $100, sometimes over $200, at quilt shows mostly (that my mother drags me to).   I don't know how many of them actually sell, but the prices are pretty high.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 7