Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

What did you think of it? It's on my read again list this year. He has a new one coming out either this month or next month (Recursion). I've been keeping an eagle eye on the new books shelf at the library.

45 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I liked it overall.   Toward the end with all the hims was kind of weird but interesting to think about how even a few different experiences can change so much.   I finished it in one day so didn't find it hard to get through.

I liked it, too. It's not a difficult read, but it does provide food for thought. It's theoretical physics meets fiction. I thought it felt a bit rushed and not-quite-together. I'd give it 4out 5 stars. 🙂

Recursion is out. It's next up after American Gods. I'll let you know what I think. (The gal at the bookstore says it's better than Dark Matter.)

• Like 3

Went to the lake for a few hours.  Dh fished, DD swam with friends, Ds swam and annoyed his sister and her friends, I kayaked and read a book while sitting with my mom, who kept talking while saying "I'll let you read your book" then would start talking again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It look me longer than it should have that I already read the book I brought with me and since it was a book I just bought up in Connecticut, that more than likely I now have two copies of it.

Made plans with friends to go to the lake tomorrow so that will be fun.  Tuesday is going to be crappy/rainy so I'll finalize my escape room and do some more cleaning/rearranging at the science center.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Susan in TN said:

Fiddle Camp 1 is over and I will say that overall, it was a waste of time and money.  The age group was supposed to be 7-11yo, but it was really geared to about the 5-7 yo range.  I originally signed dd10 up to attend next week's Fiddle Camp 2 with dd16 because the camp description fit her, but the director called me and insisted that she should go to Camp 1 because she's 10 and she promised that dd10 would have opportunities to play her viola and learn new music which did not happen.  Oh well.  

In other news, I went to the used bookstore and found some books for fall literature classes.

I would suggest to them that they rectify the misplacement by placing the 10yo in the original camp for free or very low cost.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, Slache said:

I have learned more about wrestling from this thread than I knew before. I still want to know what WWF stands for if it's not worldwide funsies. Was the rock seriously a wrestler?

Dwayne Johnson was the Rock. He still is. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:27 PM, Slache said:

Oh! I don't know if I ever updated you guys about that photo where Dwayne Johnson met the Rock. Angi pointed out that their teeth were exactly the same so it was photoshopped.

If you're a newbie I posted a photo where Dwayne Johnson met the rock for the first time. It was all sincere looking. I wanted to know if it was photoshopped or a stunt double/look alike.

🙄

On 6/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, KrissiK said:

I echo Toto. I understand how you feel, I really do. You guys just made a really huge move, you are getting used to a new city, a totally new climate. The things you are saying you are feeling are typical of having to deal with all that. Give yourself a break. And i’m Not saying that in a trite way or how we say it to excuse our laziness, set small goals and give yourself some grace if you find yourself moving backward.

Thanks for telling her this for me. I would really like to see some "deschooling" on that side. It doesn't mean there is NO routine, it just will mean there is some adjustment time. A "different" routine. Routine doesn't have to mean school. It may feel like a nice constant in the chaos, but sometimes the brain just needs the break and adjust.

20 hours ago, Slache said:

More laundry.

My mother-in-law told me before I ever got married that she was folding clothes in the first year of her marriage and felt physically ill thinking about all of the laundry she would have to fold for the rest of her life. She absolutely hates folding laundry. I truly did not understand that statement. I do not mind folding laundry at all in comparison with other housework. I've been married almost 13 years and still don't mind.

Now, dishes? Bleh. I never want to do dishes again. They're sickening. Not the plates that need to be loaded into the dishwasher, but the pan from this morning that you used to cook eggs in. Gag me with a spoon. I do dishes before the food gets cold or I don't do them. If I outlive my husband I will have to buy new pots and pans all the time because I'll just throw the old ones out.

Yes to laundry. No to dishes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I would suggest to them that they rectify the misplacement by placing the 10yo in the original camp for free or very low cost.

Renai has all the smarts.  

The director was fine with letting dd10 come to the camp this week with dd16.  I just spent 8 hours making a viola fiddle camp binder.  Because violas get special treatment and have to have their own obscure clef.  :laugh:  Now my back is breaking apart and I forgot afternoon coffee so headache.  Imma moan in bed for a while.  And watch something. 

• Like 6

We went back down to Temple Square; this time everybody got to eat serviceberries and I brought home some cuttings (mostly from suckers near the roots of the trees that would have been pruned off anyway) to try to root.

I've not had much luck with rooting cuttings in the past and green cuttings are supposedly hard to root but I figure it is worth a try.

It's been an emotionally difficult day, we learned that dh's brother who has been fighting cancer has been put on hospice. My heart is breaking for his wife and kids, and for my dh as well.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Oh my stars, people!! I am back and am lucky to be alive. So, I drove up with the family an hour and a half to the back side of a huge reservoir to where they are going to camp over night and go white water rafting. The camp site is like....good grief. Just pull in and pitch your tent, no sites, no fire pits, no picnic tables, nothing. We were lucky there are bathrooms. And the wildlife. No, we didn’t have to worry about bears or raccoons. We had to worry about cows. We had just left the area where we ate dinner and turned around and this huge black cow was eating the plates we left sitting there, she got cow slobber all over our camp chairs, and she ate Baby’s cookies. And the guys in charge of the campsite were trying to shoo her away with big sticks and nerf guns. Didn’t work.  

So, anyhow, I leave when it was getting dark and I’m about 3/4 the way back around the reservoir when I come upon a huge back up of traffic. Turns out there’s a brush fire and when they finally let us through, I saw there’s all kinds of fire trucks on the road and the fire is pretty good sized for being only a couple hours old. We drove past there mid-afternoon and all was well. And they had closed the road going the opposite direction we were going. I got home late, but still tried to contact the organizer of this rafting trip because the people who decided not to camp, but rather drive up in the morning may be in big trouble if they don’t open the road back up.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Good morning!  Coffee!  Didn't really mean to get up this early, yet here I am.

(((Maize and family)))

Jean, hope you're feeling better today!

(((Krissi)))  What a crazy experience!  Cows in the wild!  Hope you have a good day w/ your job!

I was gone all day yesterday (12 hours) taking a dc to camp. I feel like I don't have a plan for the day.  willy:nilly  

• Like 6

I did not mean to get up this early.   But my neck/back of my head feels achy when I turn my head.

I want my tea but our stove (propane) electronic lighters don't work anymore.  So we've been lighting them with a grill lighter.  But the grill lighter isn't working anymore (at least not for me) so I found matches.  The box is really old and the match won't light by running across the sides (to worn down), so I found a cigarette lighter we use for candles.  But then I burnt my finger so I was going to use the lighter to light a match to light the stove.  And then I realized I evidently didn't turn the stove off all the way after my last attempt so there was propane built up.  So, I have the door open to air things out before I try to light the stove again. 

It is most definitely too early for this sh**.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Morning. It stopped raining and thundering and blowing a gale. Thus I now have internet. Also power. Didn't have it for about four hours yesterday. I was so tired yesterday morning that I slept through the tornado siren. Fortunately, it wasn't near us, but up the road. But I wrote over 5000 words yesterday between a few synopses, a few query letter pitches, and a funny thing I wrote that compares story ideas to characters in the The Princess Bride. So a productive day. 

The lawnmower died, but DH is trying to fix it. This should be interesting. The grass is growing in anticipation. Got a busy week of writing planned and Camp NaNoWriMo starts next week!

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am so tired.

Me too.

I stayed up too late getting my serviceberry cuttings planted.

Then got woken up multiple times by my still breastfeeding toddler.

Then got up too early to help get ds13 off to scout camp.

I wish my body was better at taking naps.

• Like 6

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Krissi!  You had me laughing and then all worried!  

(((Maize & Family)))  

Yay for Campers going to camp!  Have fun and don't make us worry!

We leave for Fiddle Camp 2 in a few minutes.  I did 8 half (on knees) pushups this morning.  On my bed so as to avoid severe knee pain.  I am guessing my form is atrocious. 

Coffee!

• Like 8

Good morning!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!! Training today for my new job. It’s a lot of tech stuff.😩

I slept great. I hope DH and the kids did, too and didn’t get eaten by marauding cows. There were actually five of them hanging around the campgrounds. There are no fences up there, so cows can apparently come and go as they please.

And this is a Crazy Cow Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dh and I will probably drive down to visit his brother (the one on hospice) and family this evening.

We live 1.5-2 hours away from them (depending on traffic), dh's dad and several siblings live closer and have been providing ongoing practical support. I'm trying to think of something I could take them. Maybe a basket of books? Their kids range from young adult down to about age 9. Mostly boys.

I wonder if they like puzzles? 

Other ideas? I'll take roses from our yard.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

(((Maize and Mr. Maize)))

So 15 days until braces & it's time for DS to eat all the sticky and chewy things while he can, so I gave him a bag of Skittles as a reward for doing well in OT today. He has had very little food coloring since he was 4, but I figured he's now twice that size and has probably outgrown any issues with it.

Nope. Vision issues and headache. He's on the couch with the lights off. I gave him what we had left of kids' ibuprofen--need to buy more.

So much for first day of summer session.

Update: He says he feels better & we're going to try again.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm sitting here waiting for the kids to be ready to go to the lake.  We're meeting friends around 11am, which is in 20 minutes.  Ds is eating lunch (he usually eats around 11/11:30 so not that early for him), dd is eating cereal, I ate a snickers bar since I went to AFSA to buy snacks for the beach, safe spray sunscreen (harder to find than you'd think and $$$$$), and mini M&M's to use as zombie antidote for my escape room tomorrow.  

Have to leave beach by 4:30 since I have tutoring at 5pm.  

We're expecting a big storm tomorrow or at least lots of rain.  I'll go by the science center to work most of the day.

• Like 5

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

I hope that he waits 30 minutes after eating before running!

Each chapter is about a part of his life that set him up to be an ultra-marathoner and ends with a recipe that he ate during that time period. The first one was when he was I think 90 miles into the first ultramarathon that he failed. It was Death Valley. Over 100 degrees. His team carried a coffin filled with ice for him to lay in when he rested. The recipe was rice balls which he uses for carb loading.

The second chapter was about growing up with a chronically ill mother. In the beginning of a chapter she had to help him make mashed potatoes because he was little and too weak, but by the end of the chapter he had to carry her from room to room. The recipe was his mom's mashed potatoes.

He's weird.

• Like 4

I got books, puzzles, adult coloring book and colored pencils, a rubik's cube and a Lego kit for my basket.

I was thinking of things people might sit and do quietly in BiL's room, people want to be with him but he can't talk much and gets anxious when there are conversations going on around him that he can't participate in.

• Like 5